View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently October 1st, 2014, 10:34 pm

Reply to topic  [ 63 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Lions select Riley Reiff, OT, Iowa (Rd 1) 
ST Coordinator – Danny Crossman

Post Re: Lions select Riley Reiff, OT, Iowa (Rd 1)
not every pick can be a home run . This is a solid base hit...maybe even a double. Im happy with it! good move for the future of the team.

April 27th, 2012, 12:48 pm
Hall of Fame Player

regularjoe12 wrote:
not every pick can be a home run . This is a solid base hit...maybe even a double. Im happy with it! good move for the future of the team.

This may not be the exciting pick like an explosive cover DB might have been; but it's the nesasary pick to protect our franchise QB. IMO the LT spot is far more important than a DB, and, it takes a good year or two just to adjust to the role. A player like Reiff doesn't fall to you that often; you have to move on it when it does.

April 27th, 2012, 12:58 pm
Profile WWW
RIP Killer

LionFan57 wrote:
regularjoe12 wrote:

This may not be the exciting pick like an explosive cover DB might have been; but it's the nesasary pick to protect our franchise QB. IMO the LT spot is far more important than a DB, and, it takes a good year or two just to adjust to the role. A player like Reiff doesn't fall to you that often; you have to move on it when it does.

Agreed. The Lions went 10-6 last year, and that was with two starting corners that most felt were not even close to being top cover guys. Despite that, it was Spievey who gave up the deep plays the most often. I would have loved to see the Lions be able to land Kirkpatrick, but it just wasn't in the cards. Upgrading the offensive line was something Lions fans have been clamoring for. Reiff was a great value, and didn't cost the Lions picks to get. Now, if Mayhew wants, he still has ammunition to move up in round two.

April 27th, 2012, 1:07 pm
RIP Killer

Top 5 things you gotta love about the newest Lion:

1) 33 1/4 "short" arms - 3/4 of an inch longer than those of stud LT Joe Thomas
2) 121-1 as HS wrestler and 3X state championships in SD - can you say pancake block?
3) 23 career sacks as DE (to match his draft pick) - understands the man across the line from him
4) 27 catches, 321 yards, nine touchdowns as senior TE in HS - report this man eligible on the goal line
5) got drunk once in 2008 and outran cops on foot for 20 minutes - maybe he can teach the rest of the Lions what to do if they hear sirens

April 27th, 2012, 1:09 pm
Profile WWW

since he was picked I have heard some not so great things about Kirkpatrick. A lot of inconsistancy talk and questionable open field tackles

April 27th, 2012, 1:11 pm
RIP Killer

Pablo wrote:

2) 121-1 as HS wrestler and 3X state championships in SD - can you say pancake block?
3) 23 career sacks as DE (to match his draft pick) - understands the man across the line from him
4) 27 catches, 321 yards, nine touchdowns as senior TE in HS - report this man eligible on the goal line
5) got drunk once in 2008 and outran cops on foot for 20 minutes - maybe he can teach the rest of the Lions what to do if they hear sirens

point #2 is what I like most. As a championship wrestle, he has really good understanding of leverage, really good functional strength (despite only 23 bench reps at the Combine) and tends to keep his hips low and have really good balance. Those lineman who have competed as wrestlers tend to do very well. Add to that his athleticism as a former TE and you get a pretty damn fine prospect.

I didn't know any of these tidbits before the Lions drafted him. I'm liking this pick more and more.

April 27th, 2012, 1:17 pm
Play by Play Announcer - Al Michaels

m2karateman wrote:
Pablo wrote:

point #2 is what I like most. As a championship wrestle, he has really good understanding of leverage, really good functional strength (despite only 23 bench reps at the Combine) and tends to keep his hips low and have really good balance. Those lineman who have competed as wrestlers tend to do very well. Add to that his athleticism as a former TE and you get a pretty damn fine prospect.

I didn't know any of these tidbits before the Lions drafted him. I'm liking this pick more and more.

Agreed, and his history as a TE suggests concerns about his athleticism might be overblown. He didn't perform well at the Combine, which might have a lot to do with why he fell to #23.

April 27th, 2012, 1:30 pm
Heisman Winner

It's not sexy but it's a foundational pick. As soon as I saw Gilmore go, I knew the CB bandwagon was coming to a screeching halt. Now find a way to grab Jenkins and I'll be as happy as a pig in slop.

April 27th, 2012, 3:00 pm
1st Round Pick

Location: Cloudy Town, Minnesota. 763.18 miles from Ford Field
Pablo wrote:

#5 is a straight plus! :wink:

Just kidding..

Follow me on Twitter: @W2G4U

April 27th, 2012, 4:25 pm
Profile WWW
Color Commentator - John Madden

That's the kind of thing that happens when you're a freshman and don't know how to handle real life sitiations. Haven't heard anything negative about the kid since.

April 27th, 2012, 4:29 pm

whataya talking about? Im almost 40 and just tried it last night......turns out im not as fast as a 300 pounder....Im so ashamed

April 27th, 2012, 4:35 pm
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

yostevo wrote:
It's not sexy but it's a foundational pick. As soon as I saw Gilmore go, I knew the CB bandwagon was coming to a screeching halt. Now find a way to grab Jenkins and I'll be as happy as a pig in slop.

when gilmore went # 10. i kind of knew...

April 27th, 2012, 5:32 pm
Hall of Fame Player

LionFan57 wrote:
mwill2 wrote:
BillySims wrote:

Apparently you don't listen to moving the chains either for the last couple of days. Pat Kirwan has been quoting an O-line Coach, ( that he left un-named ), that he had lunch with. The Coach said the only O-lineman that was worthy of a 1st round pick this year is Kalil. And he said that in a normal year, Kalil would only go in the middle of the 1st round. He ranked Reiff middle of the 2nd round. He had most of this years O-linemen middle of the 3rd round or latter. Which is the traditional area to get your o-linemen. He was high on Schwartz though. So, keep an eye on him.

Billy, the analysis of one offensive line coach is a far cry from "most NFL GMs," which is what you claimed. And this OL coach isn't saying Reiff can't play tackle--the guy is just saying he rates Reiff as a round 2 guy. That's not the same as saying he is "nothing more than a guard."

+ 1.

And just where did I say that he was the only 1 that said it? I only gave just 1 example from a show that he apparently respects. Fact is there has been probably 20-30 guys on Sirius/XM since the draft talk started in earnest that have said the same things about him. I have also heard the opposite about him. But, most of those who have commented about him believe he is a guard in the NFL.

But, I say 1 more time. I am not mad about picking Reiff because I realize that OT was indeed a need. I just believe that CB was the far greater need and there was a CB that was worthy of the pick even if it was riskier because of his past.

Also. I completely understand that you guys would argue with me if I said the sky is blue.

April 28th, 2012, 9:59 pm
Hall of Fame Player

Wayne Fontes wrote:
I like the pick and I'm not as down on it as some. You need to have a plan for the replacement of Jeff Backus, and Jason Fox is always hurt, Gos isn't a LT, Culbreath smokes a'day, and Hilliard is a backup. The remaining defenders weren't exactly what I would see as being instant upgrades so you go OT and don't look back.

You really don't think Janoris Jenkins was a major upgrade at CB from what we have?

I think if we had him last year, Matt Flynn doesn't throw for 6 TD's on us and we win. Drew Brees might not have thrown 5 TD's on us the next week either.

April 28th, 2012, 10:04 pm
Hall of Fame Player

Pablo wrote:

Now that is some interesting info I didn't know about him. Well, I knew about his wrestling and arm length.

April 28th, 2012, 10:09 pm
Reply to topic   [ 63 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next