View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently April 24th, 2014, 10:11 am

Reply to topic  [ 44 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
 Detroit 2nd round 
Player of the Year - Defense

Post Re: Detroit 2nd round
LionsFan4Life wrote:
rao wrote:
With that many great prospects still available I hope the FO is trying to shop Avril. Maybe we could sneak another second rounder out of him and get another OL, DB, and save 10M.

Very interesting scenario there.... :-k

Except that Avril would have a choice of where he goes too, since he can just refuse to sign his tender enabling him to be traded. Cliff isn't going anywhere.

As for the cornerbacks, I think it depends on how the front office views Jacob Lacey. Is he a replacement for Wright, or was he more depth and competition for Smith. Since Kirpatrick and Gilmore were gone, do they look for someone to be the #2, or are they looking for someone to replace Smith. That could factor into where we grab a corner. The possible trade for Jenkins could come into play also.

April 27th, 2012, 2:02 pm
RIP Killer

MLive wrote:
10 players Detroit Lions could consider in the second round of the NFL draft

After selecting offensive tackle Riley Reiff in the first round, there are a number of different directions the Detroit Lions could go with pick No. 54 in the second round. Here are 10 players to watch.

Lavonte David, LB, Nebraska

David is a dynamic, speedy outside linebacker. He is a little undersized at 6-foot-1, 233 pounds, but counters that by playing with maximum energy and effort. The Lions lack quality depth at the position and starters Justin Durant and DeAndre Levy are in the final year of their contracts.

Vinny Curry, DE, Marshall
The Lions won't shy away from grabbing a defensive end if they feel he's the best player available. As a senior, Curry had 22 tackles for loss, 11 sacks, seven forced fumbles. Those are Cliff Avril numbers.

Zach Brown, LB, North Carolina
Brown is a physical freak, but he wasn't a first-rounder because of his questionable instincts. On talent alone, he'd be worth the pick at the end of the second round.

Peter Konz, C, Wisconsin
Konz is the best center in the draft, but could continue to slide depending on how teams in the first half of the second round prioritize their needs. If the Lions were to land him, they would have lined up replacements for Jeff Backus and Dominic Raiola.

Trumaine Johnson, CB, Montana
Cornerback remains the Lions' biggest need and the 6-foot-2, 204 pound Johnson is one of the biggest prospects available. Even at his size, Johnson is considered a fluid athlete, but he could have trouble with staying with quicker NFL receivers when they change direction.

Josh Robinson, CB, Central Florida
Robinson put his name on the map with a blazing 4.33 40-yard dash at the combine. He's on the smaller side at 5-foot-10, but solidly built at 200 pounds. He also had one of the top recorded vertical jumps at his position, leaping 38.5 inches.

Janoris Jenkins, CB, North Alabama
Say what you want, but if Jenkins has an unlikely slide all the way down to the Lions in the second round, it will be hard to pass up that talent.

Lamar Miller, RB, Miami
Surprisingly, three backs came off the board in the first round, leaving Miller as the top remaining prospect at the position. The Lions' backfield situation remains shaky and adding another back will be a priority.

Brandon Boykin, CB, Georgia
Boykin is a physical cornerback who suffered a fractured fibula during the Senior Bowl, causing him to miss out on all the pre-draft workouts. Despite that, there is plenty of tape of him covering the top receivers in the SEC. That should be enough to get him selected on the draft's second day.

LaMichael James, RB, Oregon
The Lions liked James enough to bring him into a visit. His ability to come out of the backfield as a receiving threat would be a nice fit for what Detroit likes to do. It's unlikely he'll still be on the board when the Lions are slated to draft in the third round.

Andre Branch, DE, Clemson
Branch is another player the Lions brought in for a visit and could be the top defensive end available when the team is on the clock. He has good speed and long arms, racking up10.5 sacks for the Tigers last season.

April 27th, 2012, 2:10 pm
Profile WWW
Color Commentator - John Madden

Of those 10, I would rank them as such for the Lions:

1) Trumaine Johnson
2) Josh Robinson
3) Andre Branch
4) Lavonte David
5) Vinny Curry
6) Peter Konz
7) Brandon Boykin
8) Janoris Jenkins
9) Zach Brown
10) RB's

Aren't there 11 on that list??

April 27th, 2012, 3:30 pm
League MVP

yup...apearantly the author counts like I spell! lol

April 27th, 2012, 4:12 pm
Varsity Captain

I posted this is the free agency thread, but figured i'd throw it up here too....

Has anyone given thought to the idea of trading for Umenyiora? His salary this season would be meager(4 mil) compared to the 10+ mil its going to cost us for Avril, and Osi would probably love the idea of playing with Suh, Fairley, KVB and the rest of our line.
See if we can dangle Avril for either a starting corner, or a mid level pick? Perhaps to Dallas for Jenkins? Maybe Martin could fleece them again :)

April 27th, 2012, 4:56 pm
League MVP

Avril has to sign his tender first. no way we can trade him till he does.

April 27th, 2012, 5:01 pm
I like the idea of trading up for Konz, Glenn, or Jenkins.

I really don't know why people think RR is going to be a good Rt, the biggest knock on him is that he will struggle against power NFL DL-man. It sounds to me like the Rt spot is a horrible place for him.

April 27th, 2012, 5:38 pm
League MVP

wjb21ndtown wrote:

I really don't know why people think RR is going to be a good Rt, the biggest knock on him is that he will struggle against power NFL DL-man. It sounds to me like the Rt spot is a horrible place for him.

thats odd. everything I read said he is good against a power rush...

April 27th, 2012, 5:41 pm
RIP Killer

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/stor ... mock-draft

CBS Sports/Pat Kirwan wrote:
2012 NFL Draft: Second-round mock draft

The first round of the 2012 NFL Draft was fascinating with all the trading going on and six quality players left in the green room at Radio City Music Hall. There are plenty of players left for a terrific second round.

As I have said many times, the second round is a good place to satisfy needs. Many of the players have similar grades, and there's a chance we will see a number of trades once again as teams use the overnight to negotiate deals.

As Buffalo GM Buddy Nix said to me Thursday night while the first round was coming to an end, "I never realized how hard the draft was until we got the night off after the first round to regroup."

Here are my projections for the second round:

St. Louis Rams: Stephen Hill, WR, Georgia Tech. An immediate vertical threat with a great desire to be a downfield blocker (First round: DT Michael Brockers).

Indianapolis Colts: Cordy Glenn, RT, Georgia. Glenn is versatile and will not only help protect Luck but open holes for the run game (First round: QB Andrew Luck).

Baltimore Ravens: Courtney Upshaw, OLB, Alabama. This is their first of two second-round picks. Upshaw had 52 plays behind the line of scrimmage in 53 games and helps the Ravens with the loss of Jarrett Johnson (No first round).

Denver Broncos: Jerel Worthy, DT, Michigan State. This is the first of their two second-round picks. Worthy has some pass-rush skills for a big man inside (No first round).

Cleveland Browns: Rueben Randle, WR, LSU. Randle is a polished wide receiver to help the passing game (First round: RB Trent Richardson, QB Brandon Weeden).

Jacksonville Jaguars: Vinny Curry, DE, Marshall. Curry is a great effort guy who gets to the QB. He had 64 plays behind the line of scrimmage and 10 forced fumbles in 40 games (First round: WR Justin Blackmon).

St. Louis Rams: Trumaine Johnson, CB, Montana. They took a WR earlier in this round. Johnson has cover skills with 15 interceptions and 33 passes defended in college.

Carolina Panthers: Devon Still, DT, Penn State. The Panthers need to clog up the inside and get some penetration. Still had 38 plays behind the line of scrimmage in 42 games. (First round: LB Luke Kuechly)

Buffalo Bills: Jonathan Martin, OT, Stanford. Most thought he was a first-round pick, but he falls to the Bills. He can play right or left tackle and has pass-blocking skills. He fell this far because he had 26 percent body fat, according to one O-line coach. (First round: CB Stephon Gilmore)

Miami Dolphins (First round: QB Ryan Tannehill): Mike Adams, OT, Ohio State. Adams is a plug-in starter at right tackle. He's a better run blocker than pass protector at this point in his career.

Seattle Seahawks: Mychal Kendricks, ILB, California. Kendricks has a nonstop motor and Pete Carroll knows him from the Pac-12. He can play Mike or Will linebacker in Carroll's scheme. (First round: LB Bruce Irvin)

Kansas City Chiefs: Coby Fleener, TE, Stanford. It is hard to pass up a pass-catching tight end that a few teams had with a first-round grade. (First round: NT Dontari Poe)

St. Louis Rams: Lamar Miller, RB, Miami (Fla.). After taking Stephen Hill and Trumaine Johnson earlier in the round, the Rams go back to offense. Miller has breakaway speed and good hands as a receiver.

Philadelphia Eagles: George Iloka, S, Boise State. Iloka is big and has corner skills as well as the ability to get up in run support. He can cover the tight ends like Jason Witten in the division (First round: DT Fletcher Cox).

New York Jets: Andre Branch, OLB, Clemson. The Jets continue to beef up the defense. Branch will help a weak pass rush and give Rex Ryan a chance to not have to blitz so much (First round: DE Quinton Coples).

New England Patriots: Antonio Allen, S, South Carolina. The Patriots need a safety and Allen had a solid week at the Senior Bowl. He is a solid tackler (First round: DE Chandler Jones, LB Dont'a Hightower).

San Diego Chargers: Jeff Allen, OT/OG, Illinois. Allen is versatile and durable. He was more than competitive at the Senior Bowl and will find his way into the starting lineup as a rookie (First round: OLB Melvin Ingram).

Chicago Bears: Dwayne Allen, TE, Clemson. He has blocking and receiving skills and the "new" offense needs an old-school tight end (First round: OLB Shea McClellin).

Philadelphia Eagles: Kirk Cousins, QB, Michigan State. Earlier in this round the Eagles grabbed S George Iloka. The Eagles like to groom quarterbacks for future use or trades.

Tennessee Titans: Kendall Reyes, DT, UConn. Reyes is sudden and played well the whole week at the Senior Bowl. He will line up as the 3 technique in the Titans' 4-3 defense (First round: WR Kendall Wright).

Cincinnati Bengals: Alameda Ta'amu, DT, Washington. Alameda will plug up the inside and has the feet to be disruptive in pass situations (First round: CB Dre Kirkpatrick, OG Kevin Zeitler).

Detroit Lions: Janoris Jenkins, CB, North Alabama. Jenkins has first-round talent and off-field issues that are well-documented. He will upgrade the corner cover skills right away (First round: OT Riley Reiff).

Atlanta Falcons: Brandon Thompson, DT, Clemson. With their first pick of the draft, the Falcons decide to beef up the inside. Thompson played well in the Senior Bowl (No first round).

Pittsburgh Steelers: Casey Hayward, CB, Vanderbilt. Hayward's stats -- 15 career college interceptions and 31 pass breakups -- speak for themselves (First round: OG David DeCastro).

Denver Broncos: Chris Polk, Washington. They took DT Jerel Worthy earlier in the round. Polk is a big power back with receiving skills. He will complement Willis McGahee for a year and then take over (No first round).

Houston Texans: Alshon Jeffery, WR, South Carolina. He is a big target opposite Pro Bowl receiver Andre Johnson. He had 23 touchdown receptions in his career (First round: DE Whitney Mercilus).

New Orleans Saints: Pick forfeited.

Green Bay Packers: Ben Jones, C/OG, Georgia. The Packers need to groom a center/guard and a number of line coaches told me they like Jones the most for the dual role (First round: OLB Nick Perry).

Baltimore Ravens: Peter Konz, C, Wisconsin. The Ravens need a young center and he was considered a first-round pick before his performance at the combine. A year behind Matt Birk and he's ready to go (No first round).

San Francisco 49ers: Amini Silatolu, OG, Midwestern State. He's raw but physical. He can move the DT in the run game and the Niners need a replacement for the loss of Adam Snyder (First round: WR A.J. Jenkins).

New England Patriots: Mitchell Schwartz, OT, California. Earlier in this round I had them taking a safety. Schwartz is a good technician and competitive. He is the brother of NFL guard Geoff Schwartz.

New York Giants: Lavonte David, OLB, Nebraska. David is a hybrid player with safety skills and can match up on receivers as well as play the run. He was very productive in college blitzing the QB as well as playing coverage (First round: RB David Wilson).

April 27th, 2012, 5:54 pm
Profile WWW
regularjoe12 wrote:
wjb21ndtown wrote:

Read his NFL draft profile, weaknesses.

April 27th, 2012, 5:56 pm
Player of the Year - Defense

wjb21ndtown wrote:
regularjoe12 wrote:
wjb21ndtown wrote:

Quote:
WEAKNESSES Reiff is not the strongest prospect at the position, as he is more of a catch blocker in pass protection and won't have the ability to decleat any ends in the NFL. If any type of foe will give him issues at the next level, it could be heavy 3-4 defensive ends who could blow him back.

As a lawyer, I'm sure you know the importance of verbiage and there is a big difference between your will, and the draft profile's could. Possibility isn't definitive. If they're not sure, how can you be?

April 27th, 2012, 6:56 pm
Play by Play Announcer - Al Michaels

njroar wrote:
wjb21ndtown wrote:
regularjoe12 wrote:
wjb21ndtown wrote:

Quote:
WEAKNESSES Reiff is not the strongest prospect at the position, as he is more of a catch blocker in pass protection and won't have the ability to decleat any ends in the NFL. If any type of foe will give him issues at the next level, it could be heavy 3-4 defensive ends who could blow him back.

As a lawyer, I'm sure you know the importance of verbiage and there is a big difference between your will, and the draft profile's could. Possibility isn't definitive. If they're not sure, how can you be?

Fortunately, NFL teams don't use draft web sites to build their draft boards anyway. They actually watch the players play the games. And for the record, few (if any) of these sites expressed concerns about Reiff's power until after the Combine--these critiques are based solely on his bench press (which he improved at pro day).

April 27th, 2012, 7:46 pm
RIP Killer

Which you determined based off the nfl.com draft profile, which had 5th round grades on 1st rounders. Of course that's totally legit and you should base your opinion off that. :-k

Anyway, yes, he's not the biggest or strongest guy, but I can more than guarantee hell be a massive upgrade from gos.

April 27th, 2012, 8:13 pm
Team MVP

conversion02 wrote:
Anyway, yes, he's not the biggest or strongest guy, but I can more than guarantee hell be a massive upgrade from gos.

AGREE

April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.

Lionbacker2 Fantasy Champion 2011

April 27th, 2012, 9:43 pm
Reply to topic   [ 44 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3