View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently April 17th, 2014, 8:33 am

Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] 
 Rating the Draft 
Pro Bowl Player

Post Rating the Draft
..of 2009! (I see what you did there...)

I thought I would make this topic to pre-empt the rate the draft topics that are sure to come tomorrow. The fact is, you can't judge a draft until it has been three years. So, since it has now been three years following the draft of 2009, it would be appropriate to rate it.

Pick 1: Matt Stafford QB
Grade: A+
Currently the best young QB in the league. Other picks the Lions may have considered (Aaron Curry, Mark Sanchez) have proved less than stellar.

Pick 2: Brandon Pettigrew
Grade: A-
Pettigrew isn't a bad TE. He hasn't proven to be as good as many other first round TEs, but he did set the Lions record for pass receptions from the position. If Stafford continues to improve, and Calvin continues to draw multiple defenders, Pettigrew's stats could make him a probowler. The Lions might have done better by considering Clay Matthews (although he may not have done as well in their scheme). The player people widely wanted at this spot--Oher--has not had a better career than Pettigrew, being unable to hold down the LT position.

Pick 3: Louis Delmas
Grade: B-
Delmas has shown flashes of promise, but at times plays at an average level on a relatively bad defense. That fact, couple with his injury history, has made him polarizing. Some consider him a typical safety, while others think he could be one of the best safeties in the league. At any rate, Byrd would've probably been a better pick here.

Pick 3: DeAndre Levy
Grade: A
For a third round LB, he has done everything you could ask. He isn't setting the world on fire, and he probably wouldn't start for half the teams in the league, but he would start for the other half and he can play multiple positions.

Pick 4: Derrick Williams
Grade: F
Has done nothing in the NFL despite being given every chance possible. Total bust. Would be acceptable from a 5+ round pick, but in the third round, you should still add value. Mike Wallace (taken two picks later) would've been a much better selection.

Pick 5: Sammie Lee Hill
Doesn't start for the Lions, but could start for many teams in the NFL. Great rotational player and tremendous value for being taken in the mid fourth round.

Pick 6: Aaron Brown
Grade: C
Never did much for the Lions. Probably won't do much in the NFL ever. About what you'd expect for a player taken in the sixth round, hence the C grade.

Pick 7: Lydon Murtha
Grade: B
Shame the Lions lost this guy to the Dolphins. For a player taken in the 7th, the fact that he's still in the NFL three years later is saying a lot.

Pick 8: Zack Follett
Grade: B+
Mediocre rotational LB. Might still be on the roster if he wouldn't have gotten injured.

Pick 9: Dan Gronkowski
He got the Lions Alphonso Smith. Smith has proven to be a below average CB, but for the second-to-last player taken in the entire draft, that's great value.

Overall, a remarkable draft, far above average, that was instrumental in getting the Lions from 0-16 to 10-6.

April 28th, 2012, 1:16 pm
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

Post Re: Rating the Draft
Great analysis but Id say Levy is a B. Ironically after his 1st seasons tarting I would have said an A, because the LBs around him were that bad, but now after seeing him last season, hes mediocre and a B. If he couldnt start for almost every team in the league, cant really call him an A, even if taken in the 3rd.

But yeah, great overall analysis on 2009.. what a Great draft to look back on overall.

April 28th, 2012, 1:46 pm
Profile ICQ WWW
League MVP

Stafford: A, as you said they nailed the pick, found a team leader, have successfully built around him.
Pettigrew: B, was a good pick but isnt the dominating blocker he was supposed to be and his hands arent as soft as advertised. We knew he wouldnt be fast, which he is not.
Delmas: B+, has been one of the better players on an improving defense. Would like to see him make more plays on the ball and play a little bit less reckless with flags for illegal hits and durability concerns.
Levy: C-, he had a nice start to his career but he was far below average as a middle linebacker and was a liability vs the run this past season. Also, he was allegedly fast 4.5 range when we drafted him but looks slower than all of our DEs on the field. 3rd rd picks are expected to be able to start so Im not giving him too much credit just for making it on the field. An A grade at 3rd rd would be someone like Cliff Avril.
Williams: F, they reached when they got him and missed on much better players at the same position that went later. Mike Wallace two picks later stands out.
Hill: A, he has been a valuable rotational player and if he can continue to improve his conditioning could be a starter. Not an elite one but a reliable player.
Brown: C, about what you expect out of a sixth rounder. Stuck around for a little while and looked promising in preseason. I still think the Lions couldve done more with him if they tried him more on returns or in receiver packages. Bernard Scott and even James Davis would have been better picks.
Murtha: C+, he s stuck in the league which would warrant a better grade this late but Lions couldnt stash him on the PS as expected
Follet: B-, never liked the guy, he was way too outspoken and showed nothing as a LB but was a decent STer and had a cult following.
Gronkowski: B, he s still on and off of some rosters and seemed to be decent talent. If we didnt have Heller I would like having him back for a similar role. Trading him for A. Smith and the big plays we have gotten out of Smith until a complete collapse at the end of last season increases the value.

April 28th, 2012, 4:12 pm
Pro Bowl Player

Yeah, you guys are right--I way overrated Levy. He's probably a C+/B-.

EDIT:

Just for fun, look at this topic from 2009 of people on this board rating that draft. Just shows you how stupid it is to try to rate a draft before any of the players have seen the field:

http://www.lionbacker.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=12329

I love how critical everyone was on the 09 draft, and it turned out to be one of the better drafts in Lions team history. Arguably they had the second best draft class that year next to the Packers (Raji, Matthews).

April 28th, 2012, 6:00 pm
All State

Blueskies wrote:
Yeah, you guys are right--I way overrated Levy. He's probably a C+/B-.

EDIT:

Just for fun, look at this topic from 2009 of people on this board rating that draft. Just shows you how stupid it is to try to rate a draft before any of the players have seen the field:

viewtopic.php?t=12329

I love how critical everyone was on the 09 draft, and it turned out to be one of the better drafts in Lions team history. Arguably they had the second best draft class that year next to the Packers (Raji, Matthews).

lol .. it's always funny going back and looking @ what people have to say .. Imagine if we had taken Aaron Curry .. :lol: ..

April 29th, 2012, 1:25 am
Play by Play Announcer - Al Michaels

I think I was pretty much dead on. I was perhaps a little low and Aaron Brown and Levy though.

I would put Levy as a solid B though. He has started a bunch of games for us. He is position diverse. He can continue to get better.

April 29th, 2012, 7:30 pm
Position Coach

Stallion wrote:
I think I was pretty much dead on. I was perhaps a little low and Aaron Brown and Levy though.

I would put Levy as a solid B though. He has started a bunch of games for us. He is position diverse. He can continue to get better.

He has had a couple huge Ints, including a game winning pick six last year. I'd give him a solid B too

April 29th, 2012, 8:02 pm
League MVP

You are talking about the Tampa game in 2010? Levy was having an atrocious showing but came up with that INT return. It was more of a flash of luck than brilliance that he got the INT as it was thrown to him but the return was skillful.

April 29th, 2012, 8:49 pm
Position Coach

The Legend wrote:
You are talking about the Tampa game in 2010? Levy was having an atrocious showing but came up with that INT return. It was more of a flash of luck than brilliance that he got the INT as it was thrown to him but the return was skillful.

No, I was thinking of the Dolphin game(are you too?)

April 29th, 2012, 10:23 pm
League MVP

yes got my florida cities mixed up - was a helluva return

April 30th, 2012, 12:43 am
I'll Bite - Put my comments in red.

Pick 1: Matt Stafford QB
Grade: A-
Currently the best young QB in the league, but has some major concerns about his ability to stay healthy. I wanted us to trade back, but admittedly I have no idea what options were available. Having to stand pat, it was the right pick.

Pick 2: Brandon Pettigrew
Grade: C+
Pettigrew isn't a bad TE. He hasn't proven to be as good as many other first round TEs, but he did set the Lions record for pass receptions from the position. If Stafford continues to improve, and Calvin continues to draw multiple defenders, Pettigrew's stats could make him a probowler. I'm not going to say that the Lions should have drafted Clay Matthews, because he was no where on my radar and I don't know if he would have fit into our defense. However, I wanted us to draft Alex Mack, and IMO that pick would have been 10Xs better. We would have had a solid starting OG for the last three years, and we wouldn't be stuck over-paying Dominic Raiola or wondering what to do about replacing him. I was HUGE on Mack (almost as high on him as I was Nick Mangold, another player that I think we blew it by not taking), and he has been a very good pro.

Pick 3: Louis Delmas
Delmas has shown flashes of promise, but at times plays at an average level on a relatively bad defense. That fact, couple with his injury history, has made him polarizing. I consider him an average to below average safety that gets way too many props for his hair and big hit plays. I wanted the Lions to draft Patrick Chung, and I still think Chung is a better player.

Pick 3: DeAndre Levy
Grade: B-
For a third round LB, he has done everything you could ask. He isn't setting the world on fire, and he probably wouldn't start for half the teams in the league, but he would start for the other half and he can play multiple positions. Not to mention - it was a third round pick. Its not often you get Lbs that can start this early out of third round. Good pick, even if he has seemed to hit a plateau or ceiling.

Pick 4: Derrick Williams
Grade: F
Has done nothing in the NFL despite being given every chance possible. Total bust. Would be acceptable from a 5+ round pick, but in the third round, you should still add value. Mike Wallace (taken two picks later) would've been a much better selection.

Pick 5: Sammie Lee Hill
Doesn't start for the Lions, but could start for many teams in the NFL. Great rotational player and tremendous value for being taken in the mid fourth round.

Pick 6: Aaron Brown
Never did much for the Lions. Probably won't do much in the NFL ever. About what you'd expect for a player taken in the sixth round, hence the C grade.

Pick 7: Lydon Murtha
Grade: B
Shame the Lions lost this guy to the Dolphins. For a player taken in the 7th, the fact that he's still in the NFL three years later is saying a lot.

Pick 8: Zack Follett
I never liked Zack or the weird following he had. IMO he was a mediocre special teams player that played with the reckless abandon that fans love, but was doomed to end his own career.

Pick 9: Dan Gronkowski
He got the Lions Alphonso Smith. Smith has proven to be a below average CB, but for the second-to-last player taken in the entire draft, that's great value.

Overall, a fairly good draft that could have been better, but it was instrumental in getting the Lions from 0-16 to 10-6.

April 30th, 2012, 6:10 pm
Reply to topic   [ 11 posts ]