View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently October 31st, 2014, 1:44 am

Reply to topic  [ 26 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Lions Select Ronnell Lewis - OLB , OK (Rd 4) 
Hall of Fame Player

Post Re: Lions Select Ronnell Lewis - OLB , OK in the 4th
Ferris wrote:
Sounds like a quality special teams player. Wonder if the Lions see an OLB or a DE? Avril was drafted an OLB if memory serves.

Avril was drafted as DE from the very start for us. He was projected as an OLB in a 3-4.

April 28th, 2012, 10:20 pm
Play by Play Announcer - Al Michaels

BillySims wrote:
Ferris wrote:
Sounds like a quality special teams player. Wonder if the Lions see an OLB or a DE? Avril was drafted an OLB if memory serves.

Avril was drafted as DE from the very start for us. He was projected as an OLB in a 3-4.

Yup, Avril was a "tweener" but when he was drafted to the Lions there were lots of questions about whether he'd play SLB or DE. Obviously Avril went straight to DE and it sounds like Schwartz will have Lewis take a similar path. He played a lot of DE in Oklahoma's 3-4 this past year so putting his hand in the dirt isn't new to him.

April 28th, 2012, 11:05 pm
Hall of Fame Player

yostevo wrote:
DJ-B wrote:
yostevo wrote:
Nicknamed "The Hammer" by teammates.

Yep, specifically for his Special team tackles where he brings it. Rated high for his Wrap up Tackling as well however, so we dont have to worry about him acting like a missile with no arms.

Man, you are not kidding either.

http://youtu.be/DS5coCK-qCg

It's no wonder he's a bit injury prone. He is just violent. Great for a highlight reel, not great for career duration!

This video is really good! He can lay the hammer down to be sure! I like this kid! Good post yostevo! =D>

April 29th, 2012, 7:03 am
Profile WWW
Hall of Fame Player

Post Re: Lions Select Ronnell Lewis - OLB , OK (Rd 4)
More on Lewis...

The Detroit News wrote:
April 28, 2012 at 9:27 pm

Lions pick Ronnell Lewis is finished with homework
By Chris McCosky
The Detroit News

The Lions, at least initially, view Ronnell Lewis, right, as a bone-crunching special teams player. (Christian Petersen/Getty Images)

Allen Park — Ronnell Lewis, the Lions' fourth-round pick Saturday, admits he wasn't much of a student during his time at Oklahoma. He was academically ineligible to compete in the Insight Bowl last season.

But, as coach Jim Schwartz comically pointed out, "Fortunately, we don't have classes here. There are no academic-All Pro teams in the NFL."

Book smarts and football smarts are two different things.

"I was pretty smart (in college)," Schwartz said. "But I was a crappy football player."

The only grades Lewis will have to concern himself with now are the ones he earns from the Lions' coaching staff.

"That academic stuff, I feel like that's in my past and I am looking forward," he said. "This is going to be my job now. I feel I will pick up well on learning the defensive schemes. This is my job. It's a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity. I want to make the most of it and value it."

The Lions, at least initially, view Lewis as a bone-crunching special teams player. His physical attributes are more important than his cerebral qualities. And make no mistake, this is a strong young man. He bench-pressed 220 pounds 36 times at the combine, best among his position group.

"They didn't nickname him 'The Hammer' for nothing," Schwartz said.

Here's the story on that nickname:

"It was my freshman year," he said. "I got in my first game against Stanford in the Sun Bowl. I had a few big hits on kickoff and coach named me 'The Hammer' after that. Fans love it, teammates give me a hard time about it, but it's awesome to have that name from a coach.

"I just want to continue to have that and take it to the next level with me and continue to hit hard."

This is a guy who rode bulls and skydived for kicks.

"It's an adrenaline rush like taking a sky dive or swimming with sharks," Lewis said. "It's pretty intense. It's real dangerous, but I consider myself a guy who lives on the edge and likes that adrenaline."

Perfect mind-set for a special teams ace.

Lions sign quarterback

According to reports, one of the first undrafted rookies the Lions signed was Boise State quarterback Kellen Moore.

"Quarterbacks are one of the things we will be looking for," Schwartz said.

The Lions were left without a No. 3 quarterback when Drew Stanton signed with the Jets and was traded to Indianapolis.

Moore, who throws left-handed, threw for more than 3,800 yards and 43 touchdowns last season.

Boom-or-bust Sooner

Outside linebacker Travis Lewis was projected as a third-round pick early in the draft process. He was the leading tackler at Oklahoma for four seasons. But he showed up a little gimpy at the combine and ran a 4.88 in the 40-yard dash.

Thus, he had to wait until the seventh round, the 223rd pick, to hear his name called.

"It's not where you get drafted, it's what you do after," he said. "I feel I was one of the best linebackers in the draft. Now I have to prove it."

Lewis played at 230 pounds for most of his career at Oklahoma. He started 54 straight games and posted over 100 tackles in three of the four seasons.

Since 230 pounds is light for an NFL linebacker, Lewis gained weight before the combine. The result — he ran the 4.88.

"Teams were not impressed with my combine numbers and I don't blame them," he said. "But there was a team that looked at my film and saw a good player and I am glad it was the Detroit Lions."

He said he's got his weight back down to a more comfortable 239 pounds.

"Football sometimes isn't about stats, it's about how fast you run and how high you jump," he said. "I was just happy they saw something in me. I am going to prove them right and a lot of other teams wrong."

Run on corners

So you wanted the Lions to draft some cornerbacks, huh? You were shocked and concerned when they took an offensive lineman and a receiver with the first two picks?

Well, three of the final six picks were corners. They took Louisiana-Lafayette's Bill Bentley in the third round, Detroiter Chris Greenwood from Albion in the fifth and Jonte Green from New Mexico State in the sixth.

"We like all three," Schwartz said. "We drafted them because we like them and felt they fit the job description. We didn't draft them because you guys thought we needed to improve our secondary."

Extra point

The Lions signed undrafted free agent Rodney Austin, a 6-foot-4, 311-pound offensive guard from Elon.

From The Detroit News: http://www.detroitnews.com/article/2012 ... z1tQVLu4vo

April 29th, 2012, 7:10 am
Profile WWW
Div 1 - Starter

LionFan57 wrote:
More on Lewis...

The Detroit News wrote:

So you wanted the Lions to draft some cornerbacks, huh? You were shocked and concerned when they took an offensive lineman and a receiver with the first two picks?

"We like all three," Schwartz said. "We drafted them because we like them and felt they fit the job description. We didn't draft them because you guys thought we needed to improve our secondary."

I know was said they're only looking at him for special teams initially, I hope that a 4th round pick is more than a special teams ace. Especially since those have had their values lessened even further since kickoff rules changed.

P.S. Really McCosky? What mildly knowledgeable Lions fan was concerned that they went OL in the first round?
I really like Schwartz, but man does he come off really defensive at times. Fans and media are going to be critical of draft choices and unhappy since the guys they wanted didn't get picked. I swear its in Lions fans bylaws. Is it fair? No. Do coaches and GMs know its coming? Yes.

April 29th, 2012, 8:42 am
Hall of Fame Player

SimplePoster wrote:
LionFan57 wrote:
More on Lewis...

The Detroit News wrote:

I know was said they're only looking at him for special teams initially, I hope that a 4th round pick is more than a special teams ace. Especially since those have had their values lessened even further since kickoff rules changed.

P.S. Really McCosky? What mildly knowledgeable Lions fan was concerned that they went OL in the first round?
I really like Schwartz, but man does he come off really defensive at times. Fans and media are going to be critical of draft choices and unhappy since the guys they wanted didn't get picked. I swear its in Lions fans bylaws. Is it fair? No. Do coaches and GMs know its coming? Yes.

Not only that, But, I don't consider the CB position as having been fixed yet. Could it be? YES. But, more likely, a 3rd round CB from a division 3 school isn't likely to set the world on fire in his 1st or 2nd year. The other 2 CB's, well..... All I'm going to say is that they are interesting. But, I'm not holding my breath waiting for 1 of them to make an All Pro Team.

But, I FLAT OUT LOVE the Lewis picks. Both of them are the steals of the draft. In Travis' case, how on Earth does he go from a sure fire stud 1st round pick if he had come out last year, to a 7th round pick this year? There were apparently a whole lot of GM's spending too much time hanging with herbal smokers this year.

May 1st, 2012, 7:16 pm
3rd Round Selection

SimplePoster wrote:

I'm happy with a special teams ace. Whilst the value of special teams may have diminished, it's still important and kick off and punt returns were a huge weakness for us last season.

May 2nd, 2012, 5:51 am
BillySims wrote:
Not only that, But, I don't consider the CB position as having been fixed yet. Could it be? YES. But, more likely, a 3rd round CB from a division 3 school isn't likely to set the world on fire in his 1st or 2nd year. The other 2 CB's, well..... All I'm going to say is that they are interesting. But, I'm not holding my breath waiting for 1 of them to make an All Pro Team.

But, I FLAT OUT LOVE the Lewis picks. Both of them are the steals of the draft. In Travis' case, how on Earth does he go from a sure fire stud 1st round pick if he had come out last year, to a 7th round pick this year? There were apparently a whole lot of GM's spending too much time hanging with herbal smokers this year.

Billy, I don't have an answer to Travis' falling, but you don't go from a first round projection (which are often false... there are generally around 60 players that get first round "projections" by guys like Mel K) to a 7th, with teams passing over you 222 times for no reason.

Most of what I read on him says that he lacks instincts, doesn't quickly diagnose plays (which is probably why we're looking at him as a DE more than anything, especially in the Wide 9 he has one job, get the Qb), and can't cover. He sounds like a LB that can't really play LB in the NFL, and at 6'1" 245 he's too small to play DE... Maybe he can pack on 20-30lbs and do something?

May 2nd, 2012, 1:20 pm
Rookie Player of the Year

You just mashed both players together in your breakdown WJ. Ronnell is the one that is the hybrid player with poor instincts but great athleticism and Travis is the LB that is a little heavy footed and stiff but gets good pre-snap reads and diagnoses plays. Ronell will likely be looked at as the eventual replacement for Durant and get spot duties as a rush end. While Travis will be groomed to try and replace Levy.

May 2nd, 2012, 3:23 pm
sweetd20 wrote:
You just mashed both players together in your breakdown WJ. Ronnell is the one that is the hybrid player with poor instincts but great athleticism and Travis is the LB that is a little heavy footed and stiff but gets good pre-snap reads and diagnoses plays. Ronell will likely be looked at as the eventual replacement for Durant and get spot duties as a rush end. While Travis will be groomed to try and replace Levy.

Sweet, again, it may be wrong info, but what I'm reading on Travis is that he "diagnoses plays late at times."

May 2nd, 2012, 3:29 pm
ST Coordinator – Danny Crossman

billy the kid
Quote:

But, I FLAT OUT LOVE the Lewis picks. Both of them are the steals of the draft. In Travis' case, how on Earth does he go from a sure fire stud 1st round pick if he had come out last year, to a 7th round pick this year? There were apparently a whole lot of GM's spending too much time hanging with herbal smokers this year

3rd round cb from a division 3 school? if you are talking about bentley he played at division 1 louisiana lafayette and if you are talking about greenwood he was a 5th round not a 3rd round pick. green in rd 6 is also from a div 1 school.

ronnel lewis is a far better prospect than travis lewis. lewis had good reason to drop into round 7. he burst onto the scene as a freshman at oklahoma but didnt improve as a player while he was there and actually became less productive. he doesnt appear to do anything particularly well on tape. i think he will stick for a year or two as a backup but be replaced before his rookie contract is up

May 2nd, 2012, 8:14 pm
Reply to topic   [ 26 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2