View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently July 26th, 2014, 3:17 pm



This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 90 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Lions select Ryan Broyles, WR, OK (Rd. 2) 
Author Message
Veteran General Manager
User avatar

Joined: May 7th, 2005, 3:25 pm
Posts: 7241
Location: Earth/Sagittarius Dwarf Galaxy
Post Re: Lions select Ryan Broyles, WR, (OK) Rd. 2
49ers wrote:
I love the player, Broyles was under-rated. He'll be a great target for you guys, and your offense will be even better.

But did you guys really have trouble scoring points?... Your secondary and linebacking corps was the issue. I'm confused.


I think this pick was nothing more than Madden Curse Insurance. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:


April 28th, 2012, 10:55 pm
Profile
Veteran General Manager
User avatar

Joined: May 7th, 2005, 3:25 pm
Posts: 7241
Location: Earth/Sagittarius Dwarf Galaxy
Post Re: Lions select Ryan Broyles, WR, OK (Rd. 2)
49ers wrote:
The Lions drafting a WR makes as much sense as the 49ers drafting a running back...... oh wait.....


I seen a lot of head scratcher picks from a lot of teams this year.


April 28th, 2012, 11:02 pm
Profile
Veteran General Manager
User avatar

Joined: May 7th, 2005, 3:25 pm
Posts: 7241
Location: Earth/Sagittarius Dwarf Galaxy
Post Re: Lions select Ryan Broyles, WR, OK (Rd. 2)
yostevo wrote:
I'll repeat what I said in chat, the Lions threw for the 5th most yards in NFL history. Calvin, Burleson, Young, Pettigrew, Scheffler, and even Best (if healthy) will all see more touches than our 2nd round pick will in the next 2 years.

Even if you subscribe to the BPA theory, this is not a move that says we have the best interest of the team in mind in 2012 or 2013. Very disappointing.


Stafford is so good that he is now going to get 2 balls each snap. 1 for each hand. That way, there might be enough balls to go around.


April 28th, 2012, 11:07 pm
Profile
RIP Killer
User avatar

Joined: January 26th, 2005, 9:34 pm
Posts: 10286
Location: Sycamore, IL
Post Re: Lions select Ryan Broyles, WR, OK (Rd. 2)
Brees and Brady threw for more and they spread the ball around real nice.

I don't hear anyone on their teams complaining about not getting the rock.

_________________
_____
I have no faith this team will win a game the rest of the year. The kitties finish at 7-9 and Miss the playoffs as GB wins out and takes it from the kitties.
Image


April 28th, 2012, 11:11 pm
Profile
Play by Play Announcer - Al Michaels
User avatar

Joined: October 15th, 2005, 12:45 pm
Posts: 1834
Post Re: Lions select Ryan Broyles, WR, OK (Rd. 2)
I have come to terms with the Broyles pick. We ran a three receiver set more then thirty other teams last year. Therefore a good number four is a necessity. My only real problem was the fact the Konz was available.

_________________
2011 Adopted Lion: Rob Sims/Looking for a side job at I.H.O.P because he can't stop making pancakes.


April 28th, 2012, 11:18 pm
Profile
Heisman Winner

Joined: February 10th, 2005, 6:52 pm
Posts: 801
Location: Linden, MI
Post Re: Lions select Ryan Broyles, WR, OK (Rd. 2)
Stallion wrote:
I have come to terms with the Broyles pick. We ran a three receiver set more then thirty other teams last year. Therefore a good number four is a necessity. My only real problem was the fact the Konz was available.


I agree with you here. I too have come to terms with the pick. Given the fact that the rest of the draft was spent on defensive players, I'm OK. If nothing else, this pick proves I think forever that Mayhew will not reach for a need position in the draft. What does give me consolation about that however, is the notion that in the past few drafts when he knew he needed DBs he didn't pile them up like he did this weekend. That tells me that he thinks that these guys can play, especialy given the fact that he traded up for one of those guys. Perhaps this time the need line crossed the talent line for the Lions on Mayhews decision chart at the CB spot

As far as #4, I did see someone write that the Lions are one injury away from no 3 wr sets. This should prevent that at the least. Perhaps this will be the #2 guy that WJB was wanting this year.

_________________
OK. Schwartz is fired, the fans are happy, now what?


April 29th, 2012, 12:56 am
Profile
Hall of Fame Player
User avatar

Joined: April 5th, 2005, 7:03 am
Posts: 7411
Location: Ford Field - 35 yard line / Row 32
Post Re: Lions select Ryan Broyles, WR, OK (Rd. 2)
DJ-B wrote:
RE: Claytons Day 2 Winners & Losers

1) It isnt worst including the 1st round. Its Day 2 losers so just our 2nd and 3rd picks he didnt like.

2) Broyles already healed enough from his injury to run a 40 at his pro-day. He could have declined and still been drafted saying he was recovering, but he felt good enough to run and did so at a decent pace. He wont be on PUP, he will be going full speed in training camp.

3) AZ Drafted Bobby Massie today, considered a late 1st to solid 2nd round OT. Just goes to show you that judging by segmented rounds doesnt really make any sense. He should wait until the end of the draft to decide who winners and losers are. (and really needs to wait 3 years to see who pans out).

4) There is a reason Clayton is a talking head paid by ESPN, and Not working for an NFL team selecting talent. I trust our FO much more than anything he has to say.

Fair to Note: I don't care for Clayton if it isnt obvious, hence the harshness. Not trying to rip on you for posting that windbags article LF57. :)



DJ-B, I know you're not riping on me and to your point about Clayton, IMO he's a better 'insider' than evaluator anyway. Also you point out correctly that this was his take on day 2 not the whole draft.

The thing that bothers me is that I don't feel like we're keeping up with the Packers. They've had an outstanding draft - better than ours - and (at least on paper) they're still ahead of us in the NFC. This pick of Broyles didn't help us get ahead of them IMO. If we don't beat the Packers then we don't win the division - pure and simple.

_________________
Image


April 29th, 2012, 7:31 am
Profile WWW
Color Commentator - John Madden
User avatar

Joined: January 19th, 2007, 3:21 am
Posts: 1919
Location: A2
Post Re: Lions select Ryan Broyles, WR, OK (Rd. 2)
I think it's completely fine to flame away on Mayhew. Since we have no say and no access to their board, it's something that we'll do because we are not privy to the FO's thinking. I do think we tend to look at one pick and go "WTF are they thinking taking WR when we have so many holes elsewhere!" or "How do we take a WR when the best C in the draft is there?!" without taking the rest of the draft into account.

When a team is adamant about taking the BPA, which we can now see is truly the way Mayhew & Co. operate, it will continue to frustrate the fan who sees holes/depth needs. We are going to continue to build and add depth through the draft regardless of perceived need. Of those perceived needs...

CB: We drafted 3 of 'em. If there were guys who they saw as better players at the position than Bentley, they would have taken him. Apparently, all of the guys were similarly rated and they were content to take Bentley instead of any of the others in that round.

C: Raiola is a cagey F'er who has been captain for the last few years. We see him getting his rectum whooped a lot in the run game and he takes a pounding a lot, but apparently they like him, and we can't do anything about it. Sort of a Brandon Inge type of player, no reason for him to be on the team, other than that we don't have any legit replacement. It says a few things about Konz too that he slipped as far as he did. C isn't a position regarded as highly around the league and there were only 4 or 5 taken in the entire draft. Most teams must have thought he wouldn't have been an immediate upgrade and they could find one later in the draft or through alternate means.

S: Maybe one of the CB's turns into a S (looking at Greenwood)

LB: drafted the Lewis boys, both can contribute on ST's right away and Ronnell can find spot action when needed at either LB or DE.

_________________
Forward down the field!


April 30th, 2012, 12:21 pm
Profile
Heisman Winner

Joined: February 10th, 2005, 6:52 pm
Posts: 801
Location: Linden, MI
Post Re: Lions select Ryan Broyles, WR, OK (Rd. 2)
Wayne Fontes wrote:
I think it's completely fine to flame away on Mayhew. Since we have no say and no access to their board, it's something that we'll do because we are not privy to the FO's thinking. I do think we tend to look at one pick and go "WTF are they thinking taking WR when we have so many holes elsewhere!" or "How do we take a WR when the best C in the draft is there?!" without taking the rest of the draft into account.

When a team is adamant about taking the BPA, which we can now see is truly the way Mayhew & Co. operate, it will continue to frustrate the fan who sees holes/depth needs. We are going to continue to build and add depth through the draft regardless of perceived need. Of those perceived needs...

CB: We drafted 3 of 'em. If there were guys who they saw as better players at the position than Bentley, they would have taken him. Apparently, all of the guys were similarly rated and they were content to take Bentley instead of any of the others in that round.

C: Raiola is a cagey F'er who has been captain for the last few years. We see him getting his rectum whooped a lot in the run game and he takes a pounding a lot, but apparently they like him, and we can't do anything about it. Sort of a Brandon Inge type of player, no reason for him to be on the team, other than that we don't have any legit replacement. It says a few things about Konz too that he slipped as far as he did. C isn't a position regarded as highly around the league and there were only 4 or 5 taken in the entire draft. Most teams must have thought he wouldn't have been an immediate upgrade and they could find one later in the draft or through alternate means.

S: Maybe one of the CB's turns into a S (looking at Greenwood)

LB: drafted the Lewis boys, both can contribute on ST's right away and Ronnell can find spot action when needed at either LB or DE.


Hold on there Cletus. Raiola is a cagey f'r indeed. But the Brandon Inge comparison is uncalled for. Inge was never as good as Raiola still is. Its not a fair comparison. Inge would be more to me like Stoney Case when he ended up being the starter. Perhaps thats a better comparison.

_________________
OK. Schwartz is fired, the fans are happy, now what?


April 30th, 2012, 5:35 pm
Profile
Veteran General Manager
User avatar

Joined: May 7th, 2005, 3:25 pm
Posts: 7241
Location: Earth/Sagittarius Dwarf Galaxy
Post Re: Lions select Ryan Broyles, WR, OK (Rd. 2)
jrd66 wrote:
Wayne Fontes wrote:
I think it's completely fine to flame away on Mayhew. Since we have no say and no access to their board, it's something that we'll do because we are not privy to the FO's thinking. I do think we tend to look at one pick and go "WTF are they thinking taking WR when we have so many holes elsewhere!" or "How do we take a WR when the best C in the draft is there?!" without taking the rest of the draft into account.

When a team is adamant about taking the BPA, which we can now see is truly the way Mayhew & Co. operate, it will continue to frustrate the fan who sees holes/depth needs. We are going to continue to build and add depth through the draft regardless of perceived need. Of those perceived needs...

CB: We drafted 3 of 'em. If there were guys who they saw as better players at the position than Bentley, they would have taken him. Apparently, all of the guys were similarly rated and they were content to take Bentley instead of any of the others in that round.

C: Raiola is a cagey F'er who has been captain for the last few years. We see him getting his rectum whooped a lot in the run game and he takes a pounding a lot, but apparently they like him, and we can't do anything about it. Sort of a Brandon Inge type of player, no reason for him to be on the team, other than that we don't have any legit replacement. It says a few things about Konz too that he slipped as far as he did. C isn't a position regarded as highly around the league and there were only 4 or 5 taken in the entire draft. Most teams must have thought he wouldn't have been an immediate upgrade and they could find one later in the draft or through alternate means.

S: Maybe one of the CB's turns into a S (looking at Greenwood)

LB: drafted the Lewis boys, both can contribute on ST's right away and Ronnell can find spot action when needed at either LB or DE.


Hold on there Cletus. Raiola is a cagey f'r indeed. But the Brandon Inge comparison is uncalled for. Inge was never as good as Raiola still is. Its not a fair comparison. Inge would be more to me like Stoney Case when he ended up being the starter. Perhaps thats a better comparison.


And so what. We drafted 3 CB's. They are all interesting. But, Given the level that they played at, drafting 3 of them is akin to throwing 3 turds at the wall and seeing which one sticks.


May 1st, 2012, 7:27 pm
Profile
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)
User avatar

Joined: October 30th, 2004, 12:30 pm
Posts: 2205
Location: Austin, TX
Post Re: Lions select Ryan Broyles, WR, OK (Rd. 2)
BillySims wrote:
jrd66 wrote:
Wayne Fontes wrote:
I think it's completely fine to flame away on Mayhew. Since we have no say and no access to their board, it's something that we'll do because we are not privy to the FO's thinking. I do think we tend to look at one pick and go "WTF are they thinking taking WR when we have so many holes elsewhere!" or "How do we take a WR when the best C in the draft is there?!" without taking the rest of the draft into account.

When a team is adamant about taking the BPA, which we can now see is truly the way Mayhew & Co. operate, it will continue to frustrate the fan who sees holes/depth needs. We are going to continue to build and add depth through the draft regardless of perceived need. Of those perceived needs...

CB: We drafted 3 of 'em. If there were guys who they saw as better players at the position than Bentley, they would have taken him. Apparently, all of the guys were similarly rated and they were content to take Bentley instead of any of the others in that round.

C: Raiola is a cagey F'er who has been captain for the last few years. We see him getting his rectum whooped a lot in the run game and he takes a pounding a lot, but apparently they like him, and we can't do anything about it. Sort of a Brandon Inge type of player, no reason for him to be on the team, other than that we don't have any legit replacement. It says a few things about Konz too that he slipped as far as he did. C isn't a position regarded as highly around the league and there were only 4 or 5 taken in the entire draft. Most teams must have thought he wouldn't have been an immediate upgrade and they could find one later in the draft or through alternate means.

S: Maybe one of the CB's turns into a S (looking at Greenwood)

LB: drafted the Lewis boys, both can contribute on ST's right away and Ronnell can find spot action when needed at either LB or DE.


Hold on there Cletus. Raiola is a cagey f'r indeed. But the Brandon Inge comparison is uncalled for. Inge was never as good as Raiola still is. Its not a fair comparison. Inge would be more to me like Stoney Case when he ended up being the starter. Perhaps thats a better comparison.


And so what. We drafted 3 CB's. They are all interesting. But, Given the level that they played at, drafting 3 of them is akin to throwing 3 turds at the wall and seeing which one sticks.


Let's hope one sticks then!

_________________
Image

NEVER GIVE UP!


May 2nd, 2012, 8:19 am
Profile
All State
User avatar

Joined: January 17th, 2006, 10:53 am
Posts: 342
Location: Detroit
Post Re: Lions select Ryan Broyles, WR, OK (Rd. 2)
:D .. stoney case .. lmao


May 2nd, 2012, 12:28 pm
Profile
Post Re: Lions select Ryan Broyles, WR, OK (Rd. 2)
My issue is we're going to cut at least one of not two of our late round CBs. Like I said, I would have rather not traded down and drafted Boynkins or Brooks in the 4th and passed on both of those cats. Boynkins would have had a better shot at making the team, and then we could have used the respective draft slots to get our LB depth. Again, I think we got effed hard on that 4th round deal.


May 2nd, 2012, 1:22 pm
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)
User avatar

Joined: August 24th, 2010, 9:54 pm
Posts: 2249
Post Re: Lions select Ryan Broyles, WR, OK (Rd. 2)
wjb21ndtown wrote:
My issue is we're going to cut at least one of not two of our late round CBs. Like I said, I would have rather not traded down and drafted Boynkins or Brooks in the 4th and passed on both of those cats. Boynkins would have had a better shot at making the team, and then we could have used the respective draft slots to get our LB depth. Again, I think we got effed hard on that 4th round deal.


I think Bentley and the Albion kid will stick. Alphonso is gone, and Berry's dumb twitter comments might mean that he doesn't get the benefit of the doubt anymore; plus, he can't stay healthy. Lacey seems like a nickel guy at best, so there's plenty of room there to catch on.

_________________
Driver of the Jim Caldwell bandwagon. Climb aboard.


May 2nd, 2012, 1:35 pm
Profile
Post Re: Lions select Ryan Broyles, WR, OK (Rd. 2)
thelomasbrowns wrote:
wjb21ndtown wrote:
My issue is we're going to cut at least one of not two of our late round CBs. Like I said, I would have rather not traded down and drafted Boynkins or Brooks in the 4th and passed on both of those cats. Boynkins would have had a better shot at making the team, and then we could have used the respective draft slots to get our LB depth. Again, I think we got effed hard on that 4th round deal.


I think Bentley and the Albion kid will stick. Alphonso is gone, and Berry's dumb twitter comments might mean that he doesn't get the benefit of the doubt anymore; plus, he can't stay healthy. Lacey seems like a nickel guy at best, so there's plenty of room there to catch on.



I agree with you as to who makes the roster, but I think Boynkin would have outplayed the "Albion kid" (Greenwood) by leaps and bounds, and he would have been a lock to make the team and actually has the skills to later compete for a starting job. IMO Greenwood is more a project, depth, and more of a safety prospect. He has good size, but I doubt his ability to cover. He has good ball skills and good hands (13 picks), but going from D3 to the NFL is going to be a huge jump.

I really don't think this team has the luxury of releasing Berry. We're going to have two rookies, one starter, and one kind of backupish maybe starter, but probably not on most teams guy if we release Berry. I realize that Berry isn't starting caliber either, but do you really want to go into the season with three rookies as our backups? I know I don't...


May 2nd, 2012, 1:48 pm
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.   [ 90 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 8 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by STSoftware.