View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently September 18th, 2014, 11:50 pm

Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ] 
 Lions Select Travis Lewis, OLB , OK (Rd 7) 
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

Post Lions Select Travis Lewis, OLB , OK (Rd 7)
I had thought earlier int he day we traded away both our 7ths, so not sure where this pick came from at this time. It shows it as a traded pick, from Philadephia through Minnesota.

He was the 2nd Oklahoma OLB we took on the day, which is interesting to me in and of itself. Heres ESPNs, Info:

Oklahoma School
Big 12 Conference
6'1⅜" Height
246 lbs Weight
32.6" Arm Length
10.1" Hand Size
168 Overall Rank
15 Positional Rank

2011 NCAA FOOTBALL STATS - 80 TACKLES, 2 FUMBLES FORCED, 1 INT

Overall Football Traits - Scale 1-5 with 1 being Best

Production - 1 --- "2007: Redshirt. 2008: (14/14) -- 144-11.5-3.5 2009: (13/13) -- 109-9.5--1 2010: (14/14) -- 109--5.5--1.5 2011: (12/12) -- 83-4-1 Career (2008-'10): 12 PBU-9INTs. "

Height-Weight-Speed - 3 - Possesses prototypical height and length (32 3/4' arms) along with good bulk and big hands (10 1/8'). Top-end speed is below average.

Durability - 2 - "Suffered a broken toe during preseason camp and missed the opener against Tulsa in 2011. However, he has started in all 43 career games he has appeared in (2008-'11). "

Intangibles - 2 - Intense competitor. Vocal leader on the defense and is always picking up or challenging fellow teammates.

Outside Linebacker Specific Traits

Instincts/Recognition - 2 - "Possesses above-average diagnostic skills. Reads keys and reacts quickly to the ball. Takes proper angles with run fits. Can be a quarter count late recognizing and reacting to play-action, though. Also needs to do a better job of keeping his head up and playing with his eyes when taking on blocks. However, he shows good overall awareness in coverage. "

Take-on Skills - 4 - Did not see explosive power on tape and possesses just marginal point of attack skills. Will drop head and bury himself into blockers essentially taking himself out of the play and sacrificing gap discipline. Needs to learn how to give a little and absorb blocks in order to be able to disengage and stay alive during plays. Did not see violent and consistent hands to disengage from blocks in a timely manner.

Range vs. Run - 3 - Overall range is just adequate compared with career production (445 tackles). Displays some tightness in hips and can take an extra second to transition when having to make a sudden change of direction. Shows an above-average closing burst once getting pointed in the right direction. Wades through traffic well in pursuit but can do a better job of protecting lower body.

Tackling - 1 - A fundamentally sound and reliable tackler. Does a nice job of bringing his hip through and wrapping up upon contact. Not a consistent run through tackler but shows ability to strike when able to line up targets. Generally takes proper angles in pursuit and does a nice job of breaking down in the open field.

3rd Down Capabilities - 3 - "Shows more than adequate range in underneath zone coverage. Displays very good awareness for targets in his area and for passing lanes. Flashes playmaking ability in coverage and has the ball skills to finish plays and secure INT. He has limitations in man coverage, though. Often overaggressive trying to be physical in man coverage working against RBs and can lose balance. Does not provide much a pass-rusher at this point. Needs to show more aggressiveness and lacks adequate power in this department. "

Combine Results

40-Yard Dash - 4.88 --- Worst: 4.93 - Best OLB: Zach Brown 4.50

Bench Press - 22.0 --- Worst: 12.0 - Best OLB: Ronnell Lewis 36.0

Vertical Jump - 36.0 --- Worst: 29.5 - Best OLB: Demario Davis 38.5

Broad Jump - 122.0 --- Worst: 107.0 - Best OLB: Demario Davis 124.0

April 28th, 2012, 6:39 pm
Profile ICQ WWW
Play by Play Announcer - Al Michaels

Post Re: Lions Select Travis Lewis, OLB , OK (Rd 7)
Led Oklahoma in tackles four years straight. Gotta like that kind of production in round 7.

April 28th, 2012, 7:37 pm
Team MVP

mwill2 wrote:
Led Oklahoma in tackles four years straight. Gotta like that kind of production in round 7.

A tackling machine...DEFINETELY worth a 7th round pick.

Correct me if im wrong, but i remember him in a lot of last years projections him being a 1st rounder, but he didnt end up coming out for the Draft.

I like the pick.

April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.

Lionbacker2 Fantasy Champion 2011

April 28th, 2012, 7:46 pm

kdsberman wrote:
mwill2 wrote:

Correct me if im wrong, but i remember him in a lot of last years projections him being a 1st rounder, but he didnt end up coming out for the Draft.

I like the pick.

Apparently he hurt his foot and advanced mocks had us drafting him in the 1st round last year. People are saying the Oklahoma LBs we got were both steals.

April 28th, 2012, 7:47 pm
Team MVP

thelomasbrowns wrote:
kdsberman wrote:
mwill2 wrote:

I like the pick.

Apparently he hurt his foot and advanced mocks had us drafting him in the 1st round last year. People are saying the Oklahoma LBs we got were both steals.

Oh absolutely, i agree.

April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.

Lionbacker2 Fantasy Champion 2011

April 28th, 2012, 7:48 pm

i love this pick. I saw him on ESPN's special on OK and he was the unquestioned leader OF THE TEAM not just on D. pure beast.

April 28th, 2012, 7:59 pm
Afghan Allstar

Looking at his combine numbers...near the best in everything except 40 yard dash. I can live with that. Looking at his production and that fact that he was a 4 year starter at a football school....I'm pretty happy with getting him in the 7th round.

April 28th, 2012, 10:18 pm
RIP Killer

Didn't teddy Lehman lead OK in tackles for 4 years straight as well? Lol

Anyway, love the pick

April 28th, 2012, 10:21 pm
Play by Play Announcer - Al Michaels

conversion02 wrote:

Anyway, love the pick

HUSH! :lol:

April 28th, 2012, 11:03 pm
Hall of Fame Player

kdsberman wrote:
mwill2 wrote:

I like the pick.

Me too. And I was hoping that he would be there for us to pick in the 7th just the same as I wanted to pick Burfict with our last 7th round pick.

April 28th, 2012, 11:36 pm
Div 1 - Starter

BillySims wrote:
kdsberman wrote:
mwill2 wrote:

I like the pick.

Me too. And I was hoping that he would be there for us to pick in the 7th just the same as I wanted to pick Burfict with our last 7th round pick.

Very happy with a guy like Lewis in the 7th. The 7th round is for flyers and that's a darn good one. Burfict would have been okay as long as he had a veteran specifically designated to smack him upside the head every time he said or did something stupid. To absolutely nobody's surprise...he's a Bengal now.

April 28th, 2012, 11:45 pm

mwill2 wrote:
conversion02 wrote:

Anyway, love the pick

HUSH! :lol:

true but all the s****y coaching we had could've nullified his talent

April 29th, 2012, 2:36 am
National Champion

You know, Travis Lewis and Rondell Lewis were my favorite picks. Both seem like great value picks.

April 29th, 2012, 9:36 am

Very happy the more I read about this.

Stoked about getting 2 great D players from OK to bolster the depth at LB and possibly DE (id rather see both play LB next year).

conversion02 wrote:

Anyway, love the pick

Yeah, but these guys werent rd 2 pick. :)

April 29th, 2012, 12:06 pm
Profile ICQ WWW
Reply to topic   [ 14 posts ]