View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently September 18th, 2014, 3:47 am

Reply to topic  [ 63 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
 Lions select Riley Reiff, OT, Iowa (Rd 1) 
Play by Play Announcer - Al Michaels

Post Re: Lions select Riley Reiff, OT, Iowa (Rd 1)
BIlly, Obviously there are teams in the league with serious questions about Reiff as a LT. If he were a sure-fire stud LT, he would have been a top-10 pick without a doubt. He dropped to #23 for a reason. I think we all have to be realistic about that (including me, an unabashed Mayhew/Schwartz apologist). However, the phrase "most NFL GMs view him as nothing more than a guard," is hyperbolic and I was merely drawing attention to that hyperbole. The point you are making remains valid, even if the particulars are a bit exaggerated.

To be clear, I have no problem with the Reiff pick even if he turns out to be "nothing more than a guard." We need a good RG, which is where Reiff would play if he does indeed become a guard. A lot of folks wanted DeCastro, who is also a guard--nothing wrong with getting a guard at the end of round 1 if he's really good.

April 28th, 2012, 11:01 pm
RIP Killer

Robert Gallery turned out to be a pretty decent gaurd. However, with his draft status as the #2 overall pick, he was a monster bust. Either way, at pick #23, we have zero reason to believe that Reiff will not be a very solid RT and by far better than Gos.

Gos has set the bar pretty damn low, so it's hard to think that Reiff will be worse (based on the game tape I've seen of him). I really only watched the Sr Bowl of Gos and I loved him after that. However, anyone can look good for a very short period of time.

April 28th, 2012, 11:14 pm
Team MVP

conversion02 wrote:
Robert Gallery turned out to be a pretty decent gaurd. However, with his draft status as the #2 overall pick, he was a monster bust. Either way, at pick #23, we have zero reason to believe that Reiff will not be a very solid RT and by far better than Gos.

Gos has set the bar pretty damn low, so it's hard to think that Reiff will be worse (based on the game tape I've seen of him). I really only watched the Sr Bowl of Gos and I loved him after that. However, anyone can look good for a very short period of time.

Well said.

I too have no doubt he will be a big upgrade over Goz.

April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.

Lionbacker2 Fantasy Champion 2011

April 29th, 2012, 5:12 am
Reply to topic   [ 63 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5