View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently September 2nd, 2014, 1:33 pm

Reply to topic  [ 50 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Your Thoughts Post 2012 Draft 

Are You Satisfied with the Lions 2012 Draft?
Completely 14%  14%  [ 5 ]
Yes, but would have preferred a few different players at the places we picked 57%  57%  [ 21 ]
Not Really, but I am willing to give the Lions FO the benefit of the doubt. 27%  27%  [ 10 ]
Heck No, What were those guys smoking? 3%  3%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 37

Your Thoughts Post 2012 Draft 
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

Post Your Thoughts Post 2012 Draft
So having had a little time to Digest everything, here is where I am at.

Rd 1 - Riley Reiff - Great value getting a RT/Potential LT at #23 that was expected to go 6-13. Yes there is a reason he dropped because he was seen as not a surefire stud, and all of us in the chatroom were chanting DECASTRO at this point, but setting ourself up for the Post Backus future that could start as soon as this year (2 Injuries in past 2 years even though Backus is a tough guy and plays through them) or at minimum the replacemtn for Gox who can also fill in at all OL positions except C as needed is a pretty awesome setup at #23. Satisfied with this Pick. Grade = A-

Rd 2 - Ryan Broyles - A True Headscratcher at the time , and I still can't really argue with anyone saying this was not the right pick at this time. This is the typical "we wont know for 3 years" type of situation. If he comes in as a solid #4 this season, and pushes Nate potentially replacing him by end of season, or to start next year then IMO it was a good pick. If 2 years from now we had to draft another guy to replace Nate (CJ and Young are going to be here a long time) and broyles is still a #4 or just a ST guy, then it was a wasted pick. After reading evberything I could (after calming down) about this kid, I think he is exactly what we would look for in Nates replacement, so I am OK with it. Passingh on Konz still hurt, but if they didnt think Konz had what they wanted, then I can't fault them for that. They take talent (in their eyes), not need. Grade = C

Rd 3 - Dwight "Bill" Bentley - We needed a CB, and they got 1 that they think can contribute fairly quickly from the 3rd round. If he works out based on his size he compares well to Brent Grimes of ATL, who many of us wanted to sign/trade for, so that would make him a great choice in the LATE 3rd (dont forget our 3rd rd picks arent like late 2nds anymore). If he ends up being just a Good Nickel/Slot cover guy for us, then he is spot on value for the 3rd. If he never passes 4th on the depth chart then he was a bad choice. Grade = B-

Rd 4 - Ronnell Lewis - Stud from a Top D1 School. Only dropped from original 2nd/3rd rd value due to Injury Concerns. If he stays healthy he was a steal, if not he wont be on the team and costs us a Low 4th Rd pick. Im ok with that type of risk in the 4th at a depth position who can contribute immediately to ST. Played both OLB and DE for OK, could be Beefed up in an Avrilesque way to become more than just a PassRush threat at DE, or could be tested out to see if he could replace Levy (this season or next) at WLB or even Durant (next season) at SLB since he is strong and beefy. Very very Interested to see what direction the staff takes with Him. Im leaning towards DE since we didnt take 1 in this draft, avril is likely to play on the franchise tag and KVB is OLD. Grade = B+

Rd 5 - Tahir Whitehead - Same as what I posted in the Player thread --- While I know nothing about him so cant say I hate the pick.. and the trade was as I stated, likely a bottom 12 of next years rd 4 for the #3 in 5th rnd here so minimal value loss... was this guy really so high on our list (and convinced he wont be there 20 picks later) to trade next years pick? THe rest of the discussionw as about the trade up to get him and if it was necessary (well never know but I dont think it was). Looking forward to seeing what he can do over the next year. Still a bit dissapointed with this choice. - Grade = D+ (Only this high because it was a position of need at LB depth)

Rd 5 - Chris Greenwood - Small School Sleeper CB (Don Banks List) - 4.34 Forty, 43 in Vert, 11'2'' Broad Jump, Pretty Ridiculous #s for a 6-1, 193lb CB. - Low risk due to round, but we know they had him decently high on their boards since once he hit a certain point they traded up to grab him in the 5th. Don't know much about him, but did like the philosphy near the end of the draft. We can try him out int he Mix at CB , but he could move into Safety later as his strength is apparently in the zone scheme. See conclusion below. Grade = B-

Rd 6 - Jonte Green - Also made Don banks Sleeper list, but was seen as a 6,7 or UDFA. Might not have been targeted this High by other teams, but if they saw something in him I cant fault them. 4.41 Forty and 5-11, 191lbs so he is another decently sized CB who may stick on the roster if he can do well in Camp agaisnt the Likes of CJ & Young. See Conclusion below. Grade = C

Rd 7 - Travis Lewis - Undisputed Leader of the OK Defense (someone even said the team). Led OK in Tackles all 4 Seasons even. Stud LB who dropped due to gaining weight (played around 230 at OK) for the draft so he wouldnt be seen as undersized and running a slow 40. He has already shed the extra weight back down to 240. Will push Levy at OLB. Slow 40 should improve, Midrange Strength at Bench, but very High end (almost tops) for Vert and Broad Jump he could develop into a Great coverage LB for us. Was seen as a potential 1st round pick 2 years ago but didnt come out. Was graded 2nd/3rd earlier this year. Teamate of Ronnell Lewis for Years so they will push eachother and likely excel together. Grade = A+

My Conclusion:

1 Stud OL was a Priority Need, and Maybe we didnt draft who we all wanted/expected, but part of that is because he shouldnt have been available to us. Slot filled well.

WR w/PR+KR ability was a Need, maybe not in the 2nd round, but if we really want to see burleson beat out, we need to draft the player to beat him out and nobody on the roster had a shot at that. (Young could be #2 but Nate would still be #3).

CB was Biggest need so we get 3 CBs, 1 who can probably Nickel this year / fight with Lacey & Berry for #2. Then you've got the 2 losers of that competition fighting for Nickel, and your 4th CB for Dime. THen 2 Lower round guys who were relatively unknown but remind me of SLH in the fact that they have the build for it, and excelled against lower level competition. If either of them even ends up being a Nickel for us in the future that was a win.

LB was 2nd Biggest Need (or OL), but we do have 3 starters (levy could be beat out) but no depth, and then we bring in 3 More, 2 from a good pedigree school playing high level competition to be immediate special team contributors and potential future LBs for us (as soon as next year based on contract expiring) or as solid depth at low round/pay levels. R.Lewis could end up as a DE if they push him that direction, but still happy with building depth at LB

As much as many of us raged in the Rd 2 pick of Broyles "Dont ignore the D" I am very satisfied with the rest of the draft as tghey took the 2 positions we needed most on D and brought in 6 Players to fill 2-3 slots over the next 2 seasons. If we fill 2 of those slots with these 6 and have to pick another LB/CB high next year thats ok, nobody hits on every pick, but I was more than Happy with ended thing draft with 6 D Players, all of which they tchose at the spots they thought they needed to get them at (based on the trades up) or just having someone fall to us (like Travis Lewis).

My Grade on Lions Draft: A- (As always we wont really know for years)

What are your guys Takes on how this weekend went down?

April 29th, 2012, 1:06 pm
Profile ICQ WWW
All State

Post Re: Your Thoughts Post 2012 Draft
I share the same thoughts as you do basically . I kinda wanted Randle over Broyles , but hey like you said they saw something that they liked . I love the Lil bill pick , feel like he is going to be a beast , he's a Pahokee kid, and they are most of the times beast , played with Jenkins , is the same size minus a few pds .

Reiff to me was a great pick , as you stated , he is so versatile, he gives us flexibility.. He can play the tackle and guard. Konz I was not high on , the injury history bothered me .. I love the green , and greenwood picks , low risk high reward guys , who I feel will be major contributors , along with the kid Silva ..

The LB's I believe we got the most value on , 2 guys who were 1st day guys just a year ago , and what's part of the game happened to them . Injuries, but I dont think that the injuries were major setbacks for them. They have consistently produced while @ Oklahoma , and again as you stated , they will push each other , I have no doubt about that. Whitehead, is like Doug Hogue last year , although 'Cuse is not a huge program they are a quality program , but Temple , nobody is watching them , but they moved up to grab him , so I feel like he was worth it and could be special . Not saying he will be a stud, but we all know how boo- boo our ST were , and he can probably step in and make a difference . Rookies can do that and that can translate to him being in the rotation ..

Overall I give us a good draft , dont like putting grades on it this early , 2 yrs from now we will see , but I dont feel like we reached for anything, and we took the BPA that fit what we needed .. Mayhew learned well from the mistakes of his mentor, and I think he actually listens to what the scouts say . another good draft for us . :cheers:

April 29th, 2012, 1:51 pm
League MVP

I liked the Reiff and Bentley picks a lot. Some are saying Reiff will be better than Gos, Ill take that a step further and say he will be better than Backus. In rd 2 they could have gone in some other ways but they did need a WR. They could have gotten passable players later like TY Hilton or Givens from Wake Forest but I think Broyles will be better than them so I cant knock that too much. I hated where they positioned themselves in Bottom Rd 4 and top half of Rd 5 to fill the special teams needs. Would have been way happier if they were looking to get those 3 picks in RD 4 and chose among Lamar Miller, Robert Turbin at RB, Bobbie Massie at T, Nigel Bradham and Keenan Robinson at OLB, and Brandon Boykins/Ron Brooks at CB. The trade back in rd 4 cost them shots at Robinson/Boykins/Brooks. Ronnel Lewis and Whitehead fit a very big special teams needs but dont seem to have much of a shot to be starting LBers in our defense. They were need picks for what was a very poor special teams last year. That middle area of the draft is my biggest criticisim - there were a handful of starting type players on the board and we didnt go after them. They also took Whitehead over Fleming from Notre Dame which I dont think was right. I like R. Lewis but not for the Lions where Schwartz even said they dont know where he could fit in the defense and would need to create a role for him. Greenwood and Green were reasonable gambles that could save us some money and have a chance because of top level athleticism. The Bears for example seem to hit on players like that over the years. I didnt like the Travis Lewis pick to me he is a good college player with excellent instints but isnt strong or fast enough to play in the NFL. It ll be a different story when he doesnt have the advantage of his Oklahoma teammates making things very easy for him to get to. I would have liked to see a runner - even later in the draft Chris Polk was available though he had some red flags. Edwin Baker however didnt have any red flags and he is a quality, dynamic player, who runs tough and has some good vision and agility, was beaten out by Leveon Bell but Bell might be the second coming of Steven Jackson. A punter might also have really helped the special teams units out more than trying to project college players into that role. Alfonzo Dennard Cb, Antonio Allen S, Cam Johnson DE I think were better risk/reward players than T Lewis. Overall I give them a B-. I could see it improving quite a bit down the road but I think they miscalculated the part of the draft where they should have been more aggressive and had a shot at maybe 2 more starters.

Day 1 : B+, another pass rusher mightve been a bigger impact but Reiff fills a bigger need
Day 2 : B, Like Broyles, love Bentley
Day 3 : C-, HATED what they did in rd 4/5 but liked the gambles on Greenwood/Green, thought they should ve gambled on someone in Rd 7 rather than safe pick Lewis. Also didnt take a runner of which quality was available all the way to the end.

Overall B- : If Reiff becomes a probowler then they will look good when we look back, but I think we will see some quality players develop in the 1st 20 picks of round 4 and see that we took special teamers that wont stick with us past there first contracts/RFA years.

April 29th, 2012, 5:19 pm
Pro Bowl Player

My take on this years draft is basically this. We have a QB as good as any in the league for the first time in over 60 years. I'm absolutely positive the exhausted every viable option to make this team better. The team is at the point where they are not drafting starters. We have the starter's in place and they are upgrading the backup positions. That is a beautiful thing.

Right now they have special teams players that stink up the field - they replaced Bobby Carpenter with Lewis, they added a much needed 4th wide receiver ( which is great because that means we have 3 really good ones already ), made a solid Oline better and possibly made the secondary a little better.

I think we will still need to get better in the secondary but I am glad the team is in a position to draft the way they are and start developing player's in a very complicated defense 1, and 2 that we don't have some insane man running this organization that would make a trade like the Redskins did, give up their entire future - and then draft a second QB in the same draft. We can nit pick (and I'm sure we will because we all do ) all we want, but the organization is in a very good place. Quietly becoming a premiere football team in this league.

April 29th, 2012, 6:16 pm
Profile WWW
All State

Legend - you don't think that Travis Lewis" instincts will translate over to the pros and compensate for some of his shortcomings ? Why do you believe that he isn't strong enough ? I can see not fast enough .. Maybe I'm just drinking the kool - aid , but man i love this draft and the 2 Lb's from Oklahoma . Also , you dont think that he is in a better situation to cover his shortcomings ?

April 29th, 2012, 7:03 pm
QB Coach

Talking heads at ESPN, McShay and Kiper both rated the Lions very well. Kiper giving the Lions a B tied with GB for first in the NFCN, with Minnie bringing up 3rd and Chicago a C+.

McShay had Broyles as a potential impact player, and Bently as a questionable pick.

2 Chronicles 10:14, "if my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land."

April 29th, 2012, 7:36 pm
Team MVP

Overall, I give it a solid B. I really liked the Reiff pick, even though I was part of the DeCastro chants in the chat room. I think in 2008 when we drafted Goz, RT was a big need. After we drafted Goz, it STILL was a big need because he was a reach and ended up sucking. We solidified that position at the very least, and HOPEFULLY he can be Backus' replacement. Either way, he helped beef up our horrible right side of the O-line.

I still am questioning the Broyles pick, but i keep trying to look on the bright side of things and think of just how awesome he was in college and hope he can fully recover and make an impact for us. Obviously, the FO didnt think Konz was worth the pick, so I gotta trust them.

I love how we drafted SEVERAL outside linebackers and corners. Hopefully we found a gem in one of them. And I love the Ronnel Lewis and Travis Lewis picks.

Now...I wouldnt mind getting Mike Jenkins from Dallas and see what hes got.

April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.

Lionbacker2 Fantasy Champion 2011

April 29th, 2012, 7:56 pm
Walk On

I think at least 5 players will have significant roles on our team in a year or two. The Lewis twins, Reiff, Broyles and Greenwood (who I think has top-10 potential) I think will all develop into solid players. I don't care what positions you draft, if you get 5 solid players a draft you did a good job.

Mark me down as satisfied for the time being. Get back to me in a couple years.

Receiving: 287 Yards : 10.6 YPR : 1 TD : 47.8 YPG
0 Fumbles, 0 Fumbles lost
2 concussions

April 29th, 2012, 8:12 pm
League MVP

Quote:
Legend - you don't think that Travis Lewis" instincts will translate over to the pros and compensate for some of his shortcomings ? Why do you believe that he isn't strong enough ? I can see not fast enough .. Maybe I'm just drinking the kool - aid , but man i love this draft and the 2 Lb's from Oklahoma . Also , you dont think that he is in a better situation to cover his shortcomings ?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tAtNJ13-gdg

10 minute clip of him on youtube

My impression is that I think he is a fairly smart player, has a good idea of where the play is going and what to do but does not show anything else that is special. He is not overly physical, doesnt have good skills to fight away blocks, and doesnt have overwhelming speed or quickness. I m not impressed that he led the team in tackles, on these clips most of his tackles are after 6 or 7 yard gains and he has a tendency to be the 2nd guy in on a lot of those or kind of jumps on the pile. In the wide 9 that the Lions run, the linebackers are at a disadvantage bc the DL is playing to penetrate and get to the passer, the DTs and DEs arent occupying double teams and teams can get away with allowing someone to overpenetrate and free up the OL to go after a LB. I dont think that fits T. Lewis very well. He seems okay in coverage, came away with some INTs maybe he can be a depth guy and thats not bad for a 7th rounder. He s a safe pick in some regards, I would have liked to see a little gamble - aim a little bit higher. I think he s a better player than Zach Follet who a lot of people liked but I dont see this as a bigtime sleeper that we nailed in the 7th rd that everyone else forgot about it. Thats my take, who knows maybe he has off the charts intangibles, prepares exceedingly well and helps his teammates get better. Just from what I see on the tape though I do not see a starting NFL LB. This is just an initial impression - I ll watch in preseason and come up with a more educated opinion after I see him then.

April 29th, 2012, 8:35 pm

As I said in another thread, I think the only headscratcher talent-wise was Whitehead. With everyone else, we seemed to get talented players and good value. Needs weren't necessarily addressed, but we knew that was going to be the case going in. Looking forward to seeing how we integrate these players into the team. Think most of them are going to catch on, which is the most important thing.

April 29th, 2012, 9:14 pm
League MVP

to the comment that most of the draft picks will fit in - i just wanted to see how a potential depth chart would look

QB - Stafford/Hill (2) + Kellen Moore Practice Squad
RB - K. Smith/Leshoure/Best/K. Williams (4) ? on Joique Bell and Harrison
FB - none
TE - Pettigrew/Scheffler/Heller (3)
WR - CJ/Burleson/T. Young/Broyles (4)
KR/PR/RB - Logan (1)
OT - Backus/Cherilus/Reiff/Culbreath (4)
OG - Sims/Peterman/Fox/Hilliard (4)
C - Raiola/Gandy (2)
DE - Avril/KVB/Jackson/Young (4)
DT - Suh/Williams/Fairley/Hill/Fluellen (5)
MLB - Tulloch/Palmer (2)
OLB - Durant/Levy/Hogue/R. Lewis/Whitehead/T. Lewis (5)
S - Delmas/Spievey/Coleman/Wendling/Greenwood/Silva (6)
CB - Houston/Berry/Bentley/Lacey/A. Smith/Green (5)
LS - Muhlbach (1)
P - Donohue (1)
K - Hanson (1)

Thats 54 players with the draft picks included on the roster. There will be injuries and maybe some vets at risk like A Smith so I think its very possible for the draft picks to have a good shot of being on the roster or the PS.

April 30th, 2012, 12:34 am
League MVP

another post draft thought - would the lions entertain using any 3-4 looks? thought of this bc ronnel lewis played mostly as a DE in college

DE - Suh NT - Hill/Williams DE - Fairley
OLB - Avril ILB - Levy ILB - Tulloch OLB - R. Lewis

Its not bad, Tulloch maybe wouldnt fit in that setting. Maybe a bigger player like Hogue possibly Palmer but he gets lost in coverage

April 30th, 2012, 12:39 am
All State

The Legend wrote:
another post draft thought - would the lions entertain using any 3-4 looks? thought of this bc ronnel lewis played mostly as a DE in college

Its not bad, Tulloch maybe wouldnt fit in that setting. Maybe a bigger player like Hogue possibly Palmer but he gets lost in coverage

I actually posed that question to a friend , Gunther has experience in it I'm sure . We have the personnel to do it, but honestly IDK , I wouldnt be shocked if this is what they planned, to use it sparingly depending on the team

April 30th, 2012, 12:55 am
Walk On

Detroit_LIons wrote:
The Legend wrote:

I actually posed that question to a friend , Gunther has experience in it I'm sure . We have the personnel to do it, but honestly IDK , I wouldnt be shocked if this is what they planned, to use it sparingly depending on the team

I wouldn't mind us running a hybrid like the Pats, but I don't think it's likely. Schwartz seems set on the wide-9, and I know it gets a lot of hate around here but given how we are building this team it's brilliant. Pass the rock, get a lead, and unleash your pass rushers. Very similar to the Colts in the Manning days, they didn't have a ton of talent on D other than their ends (Sanders is the exception).

The only difference is we are seeking good corners. The way we are building this team is the epitome of how to succeed in todays NFL.

Receiving: 287 Yards : 10.6 YPR : 1 TD : 47.8 YPG
0 Fumbles, 0 Fumbles lost
2 concussions

April 30th, 2012, 3:46 am

Man, listening to the wrap-up of the Bears draft on sports talk radio during the drive in today, just let me reiterate how happy I am that we have Mayhew.

April 30th, 2012, 8:38 am
Reply to topic   [ 50 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next