View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently April 18th, 2014, 8:30 pm

Reply to topic  [ 50 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Your Thoughts Post 2012 Draft 

Are You Satisfied with the Lions 2012 Draft?
Completely 14%  14%  [ 5 ]
Yes, but would have preferred a few different players at the places we picked 57%  57%  [ 21 ]
Not Really, but I am willing to give the Lions FO the benefit of the doubt. 27%  27%  [ 10 ]
Heck No, What were those guys smoking? 3%  3%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 37

Your Thoughts Post 2012 Draft 
RIP Killer

Post Re: Your Thoughts Post 2012 Draft
My favorite pick was Ronnell Lewis, my least favorite was Broyles given team needs and who was on the board at the time. The way the draft unfolded, I would have really like two OL in the first two rounds - that seemed to be where the value was and Reiff and Konz would have been a nice succession plan to Backus and Raiola (also could have got DeCastro if Reiff hadn't fallen to them).

As for WR, I felt like there was a lot of value there in the mid rounds as I stated predraft. Taking a 4th WR coming off an ACL in the second was painful in the short run. Vinny Curry was great value there and Trumaine Johnson was a solid value/need pick there as well.

I've not seen Bentley play so I need to reserve judgement there, same with the kid from Albion (although very intrigued by him). The rest seems pretty much like special teams playes IMO.

I also stated before the draft that I did not want to see the team use a draft pick on a QB so I'm a fan of the Moore pickup - nice move by the FO.

I'd give them a C+

April 30th, 2012, 10:13 am
Profile WWW
Hall of Fame Player

Pablo wrote:
My favorite pick was Ronnell Lewis, my least favorite was Broyles given team needs and who was on the board at the time. The way the draft unfolded, I would have really like two OL in the first two rounds - that seemed to be where the value was and Reiff and Konz would have been a nice succession plan to Backus and Raiola (also could have got DeCastro if Reiff hadn't fallen to them).

As for WR, I felt like there was a lot of value there in the mid rounds as I stated predraft. Taking a 4th WR coming off an ACL in the second was painful in the short run. Vinny Curry was great value there and Trumaine Johnson was a solid value/need pick there as well.

I've not seen Bentley play so I need to reserve judgement there, same with the kid from Albion (although very intrigued by him). The rest seems pretty much like special teams playes IMO.

I also stated before the draft that I did not want to see the team use a draft pick on a QB so I'm a fan of the Moore pickup - nice move by the FO.

I'd give them a C+

This is substantially the way I feel except;

1) I don't completely get the trading up in the 5th round for a 4th rd next year. (If someone can clearly explain what happened there I'd appreciate it).

2) There's nothing special about what they did and (to your point) they passed on some players that could have contributed right away. Project LB's & CB's in rounds 5-7 just have no wow factor.

3) I'm not sure I'd rate the draft as high as a 'C+'. I see this more as a 'C-' draft.

April 30th, 2012, 11:03 am
Profile WWW
National Champion

My thoughts

Rd 1 - Riley Reiff - I'm not gonna drone on about this guy. Fact is, he could start for our O-Line for the next 10 years. Great pick. Grade - A

Rd 2 - Ryan Broyles - I wasn't sold on this guy at first. i'm warming up to the idea. It looks like his biggest knock was an injury, but it seems he's recovering from it. We DO need a replacement for Nate, andf this provides depth at WR we did not have last year. Grade - B-

Rd 3 - Dwight Bentley - I don't know what the coaches saw in this guy. i'm gonna have to trust them. We need a CB. However, I really think they reached for this guy. Grade = C.

Rd 4 - Ronnell Lewis - Great LB coming out of college. Great value at were we picked him. Potential 1st or 2nd round talent Grade = A-

Rd 5 - Tahir Whitehead - I didn't like this guy. I didn't like the tradeup. I'm not sure what they saw in him. Maybe he'll be great. I still think it was a reach. Grade = D (only because an F is too harsh, I still don't like this pick)

Rd 5 - Chris Greenwood - The guy has wheels. He might be a great sleeper pick at a position of need. Grade = B-

Rd 6 - Jonte Green - Another fast defensive back. I think they really reach for this guy. He may have been available after the draft. But who knows. He was taken with an extra pick we aquired in a trade. He maybe worth the gamble. We'll see. Grade = C-

Rd 7 - Travis Lewis - I wanna wait to see this guy on the feild, but this could be the steal of the draft. At one time this guy was considered a 1st rounder. Grade = A (great value, imo)

I look at it like this:

1. We upgraded positions of need at OL, WR, LB, and CB (and possibly S depending on what position Greenwood can play)

2. We got good value for a number of our picks. As I said, I think Travis Lewis is a steal.

3. Big complaint is that we didn't get a RB in the draft. Maybe that wouldn't have helped, as the good one were taken early, but I thought we would try.

I give us a solid "B." I think there were a few places we could hav done better. Not a fan of some of the trades, but I think it was a solid draft overall.

April 30th, 2012, 11:19 am
Player of the Year - Offense

I'm hearing A LOT of talk about Pittsburgh, getting two STUD OL players in the draft, and I kinda feel sick to my stomach because that could have been us. They got DeCastro and Adams if I remember right, and that could of been us with the deep down sick and nasty offensive line to punch the heavy defenses of the NFCN in the mouth. But we didn't and so we will have to trust the powers that they know what their doing, and root for the team regardless.

2 Chronicles 10:14, "if my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land."

April 30th, 2012, 11:29 am
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

LionFan57 wrote:

1) I don't completely get the trading up in the 5th round for a 4th rd next year. (If someone can clearly explain what happened there I'd appreciate it).

Simple as they traded next years 4th Rounder for an early 5th this year to get the guy they wanted. We didnt trade next years just to move up, we traded it for a new pick.

The comments I made about that may have made it confusing is... Assuming we make the playoffs and lose 1st round again (same pick place as this year) we traded the #23 pick of next years 4th round for the #3 pick of the 1st round, so we are talking about 12-16 spots lower, so it was more like giving up 1/2 a round value rather than a Full round value. Still not sure if it was needed to secure that player , anything about him or if it will pan out, but the trade value wasnt terrible.

April 30th, 2012, 1:45 pm
Profile ICQ WWW
Hall of Fame Player

DJ-B wrote:
LionFan57 wrote:

Simple as they traded next years 4th Rounder for an early 5th this year to get the guy they wanted. We didnt trade next years just to move up, we traded it for a new pick.

The comments I made about that may have made it confusing is... Assuming we make the playoffs and lose 1st round again (same pick place as this year) we traded the #23 pick of next years 4th round for the #3 pick of the 1st round, so we are talking about 12-16 spots lower, so it was more like giving up 1/2 a round value rather than a Full round value. Still not sure if it was needed to secure that player , anything about him or if it will pan out, but the trade value wasnt terrible.

Thank you! That makes a lot more sense to me. I thought they traded the 5th AND next years 4th to more up.

April 30th, 2012, 2:11 pm
Profile WWW
RIP Killer

WarEr4Christ wrote:
I'm hearing A LOT of talk about Pittsburgh, getting two STUD OL players in the draft, and I kinda feel sick to my stomach because that could have been us. They got DeCastro and Adams if I remember right, and that could of been us with the deep down sick and nasty offensive line to punch the heavy defenses of the NFCN in the mouth. But we didn't and so we will have to trust the powers that they know what their doing, and root for the team regardless.

Take my word for it, Adams is NOT a stud offensive lineman. He flashes at times, but is definitely not a stud. DeCastro, on the other hand, is a pick I wish the Lions would have made. I understand Reiff can play OT or OG, and that he may have been rated higher on their board. But I truly think Reiff will be a good, or very good player, whereas DeCastro will be an outstanding player.

If the Lions TRULY feel that the draft is ALL about adding talent, regardless of position, then they messed up.

My thoughts on their picks:

Reiff - regardless of who they passed up, Reiff represents a great value where they got him, and will upgrade whatever spot they have him play. Unless Cherilus pulls his head out of his @ss this season and stops with the mistakes, Reiff will take his spot. If Cherilus suddenly emerges, then Reiff can either play the left side ahead of Backus, or maybe start as our RG. Any way you slice it, the guy improves our offensive line.

Broyles - said this before, I like the player but not the pick. He likely could have lasted another round without anyone taking him. If not, so what? I think the Lions should have taken either Vinny Curry or Trumaine Johnson. Curry would have been a better value, but Johnson is a versatile player that improves the secondary and matches up well against the big receivers we'll be facing. If it had to be a receiver, why not a big receiver who can be a possession guy. We already have multiple slot receivers in the fold, and Broyles is a pure slot guy. If Calvin goes down with an injury, who is his backup? Nobody. Reuben Randle could have been.

Bentley - good spot for him to be taken, not great value, but good. He is a bit shorter than what I'd like to see the Lions get for a potential starting corner, but he has the skills to at least push the competition with Aaron Berry and Jacob Lacey. He's probably better suited to the nickel role this season, as it's obvious Alfonso Smith won't be here in September. Fills a huge need.

Lewis - I think this may be their best overall pick. However, big hitters in college don't always pan out in the pros. I can confess I haven't seen enough of Lewis to determine if he his big hits are also a product of solid play with a good finish, or will he just bounce off NFL ball carriers like Peterson or Forte. I can see him being the understudy for Durant this season, and taking over for him when Durants contract expires next year.

Whitehead - biggest head scratcher pick. The Lions traded up to select a 34 OLB to put him at the 43 OLB spot. Supposedly they are looking at him as a weakside guy. Good tackler, but everything I've read says he is poor in coverage. Lewis isn't a good coverage backer either. So why make this pick? There were other players on the board I would have preferred, like Josh Norman or George Iloka, that represented a bigger need and a better value, in my opinion. Could become a starter or career STer.

Greenwood - I don't know much about him, but I guess he was considered a rising sleeper prospect by many analysts. Has good size and had a tremendous pro day workout at U of M. Maybe he's being looked at as a safety? At over six foot and 200 lbs., he certainly must look the part. Tough to call since I know so little about him, so I'll trust the Lions scouts.

Jonte Green - I remember reading about how the Lions brought him in as one of their visits, and came away impressed with his interviews and his workouts. Not idea height, but certainly not a smurf. Hopefully with him and the others our depth at corner and safety is filled.

Travis Lewis - could be the best value pick of the bunch, and it wouldn't surprise me if he ends up being our best linebacker from this draft. At one time Lewis was considered to be a solid second rounder, but slipped due to poor speed in forty and didn't have a great senior season at Okie. Probably would have gone second or third round if he entered early in 2011. Excellent pass coverage backer, but struggles to shed blockers in the running game. Probably destined to start off as a nickel or dime package backer for the Lions.

Overall I'd rate this draft as a solid B. They filled needs and got some pretty good value at spots in the draft. Broyles selection is a real head scratcher, but it does give the Lions some really good depth and another set of reliable hands, something Stovall and Davis didn't really live up to for us. I would have liked to see the Lions get an experienced safety in this draft, and not a project player who could turn out to be a safety. I also would have liked to see another offensive lineman, and perhaps a defensive end. Running backs can be had later in the year when other teams make their cuts.

My immediate re-draft:

R1 - OG David DeCastro
R2 - DE Vinny Curry
R3 - CB Dwight Bentley
R4 - OT Brandon Mosely
R5a - CB Josh Norman
R5b - FS Justin Bethel
R6 - LB Emmanuelle Acho
R7 - LB Travis Lewis
R6 -

April 30th, 2012, 7:05 pm
RIP Killer

When I saw Adams play, I thought of stockar mcdougle. Lol

April 30th, 2012, 7:08 pm
Walk On

thelomasbrowns wrote:
Man, listening to the wrap-up of the Bears draft on sports talk radio during the drive in today, just let me reiterate how happy I am that we have Mayhew.

Who you listening to?

April 30th, 2012, 7:29 pm

I.E. wrote:
thelomasbrowns wrote:
Man, listening to the wrap-up of the Bears draft on sports talk radio during the drive in today, just let me reiterate how happy I am that we have Mayhew.

Who you listening to?

I was listening to Mully and Handly (sp?) on 670--they were talking to Brad Biggs. Also heard Hub on the night before. Not really a fan generally but I listen during football season (and after the draft) to get my NFL fix.

May 1st, 2012, 8:36 am
3rd Round Selection

My main thought is that 2012 will be more of the same. The team's strengths in 2011 will likely continue to be strengths, the weaknesses will likely continue to be weaknesses. Given we made the playoffs last season, that's no necessarily a bad thing. And the big plus of this off season for me is that I feel more comfortable about the longevity of the Lions performing at this playoff contender level.

Where I think we should get some small improvement: o-line, passing game (Young in second season, addition of Broyles), special teams coverage units.

Where I think we may stand pat or improve: running game (it can't get any worse, Leshure playing), d-line (Fairley).

Where I think we will stand pat: linebacker, secondary.

May 2nd, 2012, 7:00 am

I"m not sure what to expect but last year we saw how teams were able to effectively take out our strongest weapon, even with a short off season for planning. By double teams, holding calls, and other practices, Suh was taken off his game and was no where near as effective as he was last year.

Now I'm not footballholic where I live, breathe, eat, and drink the game so I'm sure there were other things and measurables that affected our D Line, but we all noticed the drop off. How that can be corrected or made more effective I am not sure.

I don't know if Suh of 2 years ago surprised us and the NFL so much that we put him on a pedastal, or if the scheming to counter him got better, but our D Line left me feeling not as impressed as the year before. The talking heads kept talking about the most fearsome front 4 in the NFL, but I didn't see it, and that bothered me. Am I wrong? Are the measurables there and I just didn't put two and two together? There were times that we seemed dominant, but I guess consistency was the key, will a true off season help that?

2 Chronicles 10:14, "if my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land."

May 2nd, 2012, 8:07 am

Something occurred to me after this draft, and I wanted to know what you guys think.

We all now that Mayhew and co. draft BPA (according to their board and whether or not they see a role for the player), and I suspect we'll continue to debate that.

But I think I found the one thing linking pretty much every draft pick since 2009: Production in College. Think about how many long term college starters we've taken, as opposed to physical specimens with 'upside'. I think it's pretty clear that this is one of the main factors this regime uses to determine BPA.

A small sampling (all from Wikipedia):
Staff: "Stafford graduated early from high school and enrolled at the University of Georgia in January, where he became the first true freshman Bulldog QB to start since Quincy Carter in 1998"
Reiff: "After redshirting his initial year at Iowa, Reiff started 11 of 13 games on the Hawkeyes' offensive line—three at left tackle, seven at left guard and final game at right tackle. He was named third team Freshman All-America by College Football News. In his sophomore year, Reiff replaced Bryan Bulaga at left tackle, starting all 13 games of the season. He was named second team All-Big Ten by league coaches and media. A preseason All-American, Reiff started all 13 games at left tackle in his junior season as well."
Broyles: "He holds the NCAA FBS career receptions record with 349."
Jason Fox: "Started at right tackle as a true freshman in the season opener against Florida State. Became the starting left tackle midway through the season and held on to it for the remainder of his time at Miami."

Thoughts?

May 2nd, 2012, 8:57 am

Now I have a little more time and wanted to share this point.

Last year PS Game 3 was the most stellar Defensive game I can recall seeing. The way our Defensive Starters stymied Brady and Co. was beautiful, and yet the rest of the year, what happened? I kept expecting the Lions to come out blowing teams up like they did NE, who was a significant playoff team, and yet we didn't do that consistantly.

SF was a good game, but had some gaffs
Dallas was a good game but could/should have been better with our better D
Atlanta, not sure what happened unless it was a hangover from SF game

With all of the close games, I just don't recall the Lions being as dominant as they were in PS game #3, is it consistancy?

May 2nd, 2012, 10:04 am
RIP Killer

WarEr4Christ wrote:
Now I have a little more time and wanted to share this point.

Last year PS Game 3 was the most stellar Defensive game I can recall seeing. The way our Defensive Starters stymied Brady and Co. was beautiful, and yet the rest of the year, what happened? I kept expecting the Lions to come out blowing teams up like they did NE, who was a significant playoff team, and yet we didn't do that consistantly.

SF was a good game, but had some gaffs
Dallas was a good game but could/should have been better with our better D
Atlanta, not sure what happened unless it was a hangover from SF game

With all of the close games, I just don't recall the Lions being as dominant as they were in PS game #3, is it consistancy?

You are looking at a PS game? Very little game planning goes into a PS game. In a game plan you are trying to exploit a teams weaknesses and limit a teams strengths (like Suh). That game was simply mano a mano and Suh was going to win those battles.

There is a reason why some players can really stand out in the PS but once the regular season rolls around they become much more human.

May 2nd, 2012, 10:32 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 50 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next