View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently August 21st, 2014, 12:07 pm

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
 Football cards 
QB Coach

Post Football cards
Anyone follow Football cards? I just found a stash of about 100 cards of various players, various years, not sealed in plastic. They range in makers like Topps, and some others I haven't heard. The cards have Ruben Droughns, Luke Stahley, Chris Speilman for the Lions players so far, but there are also some well known players from around the league. There also appears to be some from the 70's and all are in good shape. I don't know what's money and what isn't, but since someone threw them out I thought I'd check with the gurus of Lionbacker.

2 Chronicles 10:14, "if my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land."

May 1st, 2012, 4:48 pm
Pop Warner Rookie

Post Re: Football cards
I used to collect a great deal but since the local shop I went to went belly up there isn't much of a market for it.

I think my best ones are the Billy Sims autographed ones.

“If this is going to be a Christian nation that doesn't help the poor, either we have to pretend that Jesus was just as selfish as we are, or we've got to acknowledge that He commanded us to love the poor and serve the needy without condition and then admit that we just don't want to do it.”
-Stephen Colbert-

May 1st, 2012, 6:50 pm
RIP Killer

I used to be big into collecting cards, football and baseball. The market for cards isn't all that hot now. But it appears you have found a nice little collection. Much depends on the quality of the cards. Are there any creases? How good is the color? Are the edges crisp and clean, or is there some roughness? Are the pictures centered well? And of course, the popularity of the player sets the price as well. Rookie cards demand the most money, a practice I've never understood.

I would suggest you find a card store and pick up a copy of a Beckett's Price Guide for Football. It will show you the prices for each card. Remember that retail value is what a shop will charge for the card, not what they will pay for the card. Depending on what you have, a shop will typically pay 25-40% of the retail value, depending on all the factors I've given above.

May 2nd, 2012, 9:17 am
QB Coach

Thanks M2K, I will try to catalog what I have, and maybe even scan and copy them.

From what I recall the edges are clear, no dog ears, no creases, some fading on the older cards, and some cards I haven't even heard of.

There's probably 50 to 75 cards that were just thrown out. I didn't see anything with rookie on them, but I haven't gone through them all either.

I'll write more when i have it. Would anyone be interested in the lot? Let me know once I've posted everything, and I'm not interested in breaking the bank either. If someone has a good idea of worth, then I'll probably try to sell locally but not even sure where to look.

2 Chronicles 10:14, "if my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land."

May 2nd, 2012, 10:08 am
QB Coach

Okay here's the list:

Luther Carr HB (college card) Washington Huskies (maker: pacific)
Gary Clark WR Redskins (Topps 1987)
Steve Largent WR Seattle (topps 1989)
Ron Dayne RB NYG (2000 Collectors Edge)
Shawn Jefferson WR ATL (Fleer Ultra 01)
Jerry Gray CB Stl Rams (Topps 1987)
Jamal Lewis RB Balt (2000 Collectors Edge)
George Rogers RB Wash (1000 yd club Topps 1987)
Dennis Gentry CHI KR (Topps 1987)
Gary Anderson Pitt K (Topps 1988)
Mark Carrier CHI S (Topps 1990)
Reuben Droughns Lions RB (2000 Fleer/Skybox)
Tony Nathan Dolphins RB (topps 1987)
Chris Spielman Lions LB (1991 Pacific)
Gerald Carter tampa WR (Topps 1987)
Zeke Mowatt NYG TE (Topps 1987)
Emmitt Smith Dallas RB (Visions Signings Gold 1987)
Jeff Gossett Browns P (Topps 1987)
Michael Westbrook Wash WR (Fleer 02)
Russ Grimm Wash G (Pacific 1991)
Sterling Sharpe GB (1991 Score)
John L. Williams Seattle RB (Topps 1987)
Chris Warren Seattle RB (Pacific 1991)
Hanford Dixon Browns CB (Topps 1987)
Reggie Camp Browns DE (topps 1987)
Bob Golic Browns NT (topps 1987)
Webster Slaughter Browns WR (NFL Pro Set1990)
Ronald Curry Oak WR (Score 2007)
Tony Casillas ATL NT (Upper Deck 1991)
Jessie Tuggle ATL LB (Pacific 1991)

That's for the start, and about 1/2 way through what I've found. Any ideas?

May 2nd, 2012, 9:37 pm
Veteran General Manager

WarEr4Christ wrote:
Thanks M2K, I will try to catalog what I have, and maybe even scan and copy them.

From what I recall the edges are clear, no dog ears, no creases, some fading on the older cards, and some cards I haven't even heard of.

There's probably 50 to 75 cards that were just thrown out. I didn't see anything with rookie on them, but I haven't gone through them all either.

I'll write more when i have it. Would anyone be interested in the lot? Let me know once I've posted everything, and I'm not interested in breaking the bank either. If someone has a good idea of worth, then I'll probably try to sell locally but not even sure where to look.

I wouldn't scan them if I were you. The flash of light from the scanner itself can cause fading of the pictures.

May 2nd, 2012, 10:04 pm
RIP Killer

So far the ones you've listed are pretty much filler cards that people may be looking for to complete some sets, or to complete a collection of an individual player or team. Like Billy said, I don't know that I would scan them, but perhaps take some pictures of them with a non-flash camera and list them on Ebay is an idea.

The one that intrigues me is the Emmit Smith card, since it seems to actually be from before his pro playing days. Because it is not a major brand it wouldn't bring big money. But there may be some collector out there looking for something like that.

HOFer cards are always nice to have. Largent, Sharpe, Emmit....all cards that are collectible in some fashion to the right person.

May 3rd, 2012, 9:44 am
There should be some free online price guides. Just type in "football card price guide" and you should see a ton. Beckett was a good one back when I was collecting (late 80s early 90s).

May 3rd, 2012, 11:22 am
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]