View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently October 24th, 2014, 7:09 pm

Reply to topic  [ 34 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Our Draft vs. NFC North 
Hall of Fame Player

Post Re: Our Draft vs. NFC North
ESPN.com wrote:
Mel Kiper Jr.'s draft grades: NFC North

April, 29, 2012 / 11:55 AM ET
By Kevin Seifert | ESPN.com

Analysis of the 2012 draft literally will continue for years, but I long ago accepted our psychological need for instant answers. It has become a tradition around here to review the immediate reaction of the country's foremost media draft analyst, which I consider to be a starting point for further discussion. So here are Mel Kiper Jr.'s 2012 draft grades , which require an Insider subscription to view fully but can be summarized forthwith:

Chicago Bears
Grade: C+

Kiper snippet: "I'm really surprised they had six picks and didn't get a single offensive lineman."
Seifert comment: The Bears weren't joking before the draft when they said they were satisfied with the makeup of their offensive line, one that will include the return of Gabe Carimi and Chris Williams. Saturday, coach Lovie Smith said: "We as a coaching staff are going to try and put the players in a better position, adding Chris and Gabe to the mix. There's a period of time, as you might have forgotten, during the season, when we played pretty good ball on the offensive line." Kiper thinks that first-round defensive end Shea McClellin might have been overvalued at No. 19 and isn't a big fan of second-round receiver Alshon Jeffery, but I think the Bears improved both positions with those additions.

Detroit Lions
Grade: B

Kipper snippet: "The board broke pretty well for Detroit."
Seifert comment: Yes, few media analysts thought tackle Riley Reiff would be available at No. 23 overall. (Clearly they hadn't measured his arm length.) And it's true the Lions managed to snag three intriguing cornerbacks after making the surprise choice of receiver Ryan Broyles in the second round. But to me what stands out about the Lions' draft is that they are in position to address future needs rather than desperately flail at their current issues. Reiff might not be a starter until 2013 or 2014, and Broyles' knee rehabilitation means he might not have immediate impact, either. It's called roster maintenance, and the Lions haven't been in that position in a while.

Green Bay Packers

Kiper snippet: "The Packers simply had to add to the pass rush."
Seifert comment: There will be plenty of talk moving forward about first-round linebacker Nick Perry and some about fifth-round linebacker Terrell Manning, whom Kiper loves as a situational pass-rusher. But you wonder if they'll both be eclipsed by second-round defensive lineman Jerel Worthy, a first-round talent who should be highly motivated by his draft fall. He's got the ability and capacity to become a dominant force on the line, whether it's as a 3-4 end or as a tackle in the nickel. Worthy could turn this into a proverbial "A" draft.

Minnesota Vikings

Kiper snippet: "I don't think we'll look back and see a lot of star power here, but they got what they needed."
Seifert comment: General manager Rick Spielman did a good job convincing everyone he was considering several bad decisions, and thus has been widely praised for making what seemed to be the obvious ones. That's the case for both of his first round picks, left tackle Matt Kalil and safety Harrison Smith. And after passing on LSU cornerback Morris Claiborne, Spielman at least added some speed to the position by drafting Central Florida cornerback Josh Robinson. At the end of the weekend, Spielman used 10 draft picks and pushed two more into 2013. Quantity runs a close second to quality in the draft.

IMO the Bears had a great free agency but whiffed in the draft. That said they are a better team this year.

I think this grade for the Pack is low - it should be higher and they out drafted us.

April 29th, 2012, 1:03 pm
Profile WWW
IMO the Pack had the best draft in our division. Their pass rush is going to be sick next season. I wish we would have spent more picks on the OL...

April 30th, 2012, 9:10 pm
RIP Killer

Let's take a look at the draft for each NFC North team:

CHICAGO
R1 DE Shea McClellin
R2 WR Alshon Jeffery
R3 FS Brandon Hardin
R4 FB Evan Rodriguez
R6 CB Isaiah Frey
R7 CB Greg McCoy

Not a very impressive draft overall. McClellin may have been the second biggest reach of the first round (Bruce Irvin wins), but could become a good pass rusher eventually. Jeffery needs to keep himself in shape and overcome maturity issues. Brandon Hardin may have been their best pick. The remaining names aren't inspiring. I simply don't see this as a very productive effort.

DETROIT
R1 OT Riley Reiff
R2 WR Ryan Broyles
R3 CB Dwight Bentley
R4 LB Ronnell Lewis
R5 LB Tahir Whitehead
R5 CB Chris Greenwood
R6 CB Jonte Green
R7 LB Travis Lewis

A very solid effort, with good value picks scattered throughout. Reiff was a bargain, and should be a starter someplace by mid-season, if not sooner. Ryan Broyles was something of a reach, and won't be fully healed until late season, so that's a head scratcher. Bentley, Greenwood, Lewis and Lewis are all good to excellent picks in terms of both talent and value. Whitehead is thei worst pick, as the Lions traded up to get him and he brings very little to the table in terms of athletic skill or production. Jonte Green could be a sleeper.

GREEN BAY
R1 LB Nick Perry
R2 DT Jerel Worthy
R2 CB Casey Hayward
R4 DT Mike Daniels
R4 SS Jerron McMillian
R5 LB Terrell Manning
R7 OT Andrew Datko
R7 QB B.J. Coleman

Obviously Green Bay went into this draft with a plan to improve their defense, and improve it they did. Nick Perry had incredible athletic numbers at the Combines. If he can translate that into field production, he could be seen as the steal of the first round of this draft. Worthy was seen by some as a first round talent, and Green Bay did what they needed to do to get him. Both Perry and Worthy could be day one starters and big improvements. Casey Hayward will make the team, and likely begin his life as a dime corner, but could eventually break into a starters role if he develops like he can. Terrell Manning is a player to watch, as he was viewed by some as a late second to early third round prospect with very good athletic skills. Datko and Coleman add depth, but that's about it. Probably the best draft of all the NFCN teams.

MINNESOTA
R1 OT Matt Kalil
R1 SS Harrison Smith
R2 CB Josh Robinson
R4 WR Jarius Wright
R4 TE Rhett Ellison
R4 WR Greg Childs
R5 CB Robert Blanton
R6 PK Blair Walsh
R7 LB Audie Cole
R7 DE Trevor Guyton

A very good draft for the Vikings, and in time it may turn out to be the best of the NFCN teams. Matt Kalil was a no brainer, but getting him at the four spot instead of the three is a feather in the cap of the Vikes. Harrison Smith and Josh Robinson give them much needed secondary help, with both having a shot at starting as rookies. Robert Blanton will likely stick as depth at cornerback. Both Jarius Wright and Greg Childs could see time on the offense. Wright is strictly a slot receiver, but Childs has the size to be a good second receiver in the offense. Rhett Ellison may be asked to compete as an H back type player for the team, having experience in that type of position at USC. He doesn't have deep speed, but uses his body well in the middle of the field to shield off defenders. Audie Cole is probably their best value pick, as he has a legitimate shot at being the primary backup in the middle, and might eventually be the Mike of the future for the Vikes defense. Trevor Guyton was decent value in the seventh, and will add pass rushing depth. Blair Walsh in the sixth round is questionable, since taking any kicker or punter in seven rounds can be questionable. If he makes the team, he was worth it.

As a result of looking at the drafts of each team, I'd give Green Bay a slight nod over Minnesota and Detroit, who I see as pretty even. Chicago kind of crapped the bed with their draft. McClellin might turn out to be good, but I think more pro ready prospects for the 43 DE spot were still on the board. Jeffery is a boom or bust pick. In reality, Chicago made little headway towards improving their team via the draft. With an aging roster now one year older, that's like taking a big step backwards for them.

May 1st, 2012, 12:29 pm
Walk On

Dude... look at Nick Perry vs Shea McClellan. McClellan's going to play at DE, not OLB. He's ten pounds lighter than Perry, and the same height. But McClellan's combine numbers were about the same as Perry, and so was his sack total in college... despite the fact that he was playing LB and even Nickel at times for Boise St. McClellan isn't a developmental pick - the Bears picked him because they believe he can get double-digit sacks this fall. That's all they want from him right now - what's been missing since Mark Andersen's rookie year. Then the back story is, he's Urlacher's replacement in the long term.

And what "problems" has Alshon Jeffrey had, other than QBs that sucked? And how is he going to have trouble getting separation when he runs a sub-4.5? The guy is fast, and can jump out of the gym.

My point is, you're just repeating all the generic draft drivel that the media puts out there.

May 1st, 2012, 9:28 pm
ST Coordinator – Danny Crossman

I.E. wrote:
Dude... look at Nick Perry vs Shea McClellan. McClellan's going to play at DE, not OLB. He's ten pounds lighter than Perry, and the same height. But McClellan's combine numbers were about the same as Perry, and so was his sack total in college... despite the fact that he was playing LB and even Nickel at times for Boise St. McClellan isn't a developmental pick - the Bears picked him because they believe he can get double-digit sacks this fall. That's all they want from him right now - what's been missing since Mark Andersen's rookie year. Then the back story is, he's Urlacher's replacement in the long term.

And what "problems" has Alshon Jeffrey had, other than QBs that sucked? And how is he going to have trouble getting separation when he runs a sub-4.5? The guy is fast, and can jump out of the gym.

My point is, you're just repeating all the generic draft drivel that the media puts out there.

Everything I have read on Jeffery questions his work ethic. He has Roy Williams written all over him.

May 2nd, 2012, 8:14 am
Walk On

regularjoe12 wrote:
I.E. wrote:

Everything I have read on Jeffery questions his work ethic. He has Roy Williams written all over him.

That sounds overwhelming. Who am I to question something that solid? lol

May 2nd, 2012, 9:32 am
ST Coordinator – Danny Crossman

I.E. wrote:
regularjoe12 wrote:
I.E. wrote:

That sounds overwhelming. Who am I to question something that solid? lol

he's your draft pick! you do the homework! [-X Im just telling ya what I've read from several sources. :wink:

May 2nd, 2012, 10:55 am
Rookie Player of the Year

Alshon's main problem is he has Mike Williams potential to eat himself out of the league.

May 2nd, 2012, 11:26 am
Hall of Fame Player

I don't know how our Lions can get a grade anywhere above a C.

We might not have even 1 of our draft choices starting this year. Reiff MIGHT start somewhere. But, right now, we can't say that for sure. I just see very little help this year from our draft. Next year, it might be a different story. But, right now, I have to grade us a C.

May 2nd, 2012, 10:10 pm
RIP Killer

BillySims wrote:
I don't know how our Lions can get a grade anywhere above a C.

We might not have even 1 of our draft choices starting this year. Reiff MIGHT start somewhere. But, right now, we can't say that for sure. I just see very little help this year from our draft. Next year, it might be a different story. But, right now, I have to grade us a C.

Playoff caliber teams don't always draft for THIS season. That's why rookies don't get signed to one year deals.

May 3rd, 2012, 10:33 am
RIP Killer

I.E. wrote:

Perry is 11 pounds heavier at the Combine, and ran the same time in the 40. That 11 pounds, if you look closely, is all muscle, as evidence by the 35 bench reps versus the 19 that McClellin posted. Perry also jumped half a foot more in the broad jump (more explosion) and had a 7 inch higher vertical than McClellin (even more explosion). The only advantage McClellin has is that he has bigger hands and has better lateral quickness, but only marginally.

Sorry, but you telling me that McClellin's numbers at the Combines are about the same as Perry's tells me all I need to know. 16 more bench reps (nearly double), six inch difference in the broad jump, 7 inch difference in the vertical and Perry is 11 pounds heavier. Those aren't "the same"...they aren't even close.

May 3rd, 2012, 10:47 am
Player of the Year - Defense

m2karateman wrote:
I.E. wrote:

Perry is 11 pounds heavier at the Combine, and ran the same time in the 40. That 11 pounds, if you look closely, is all muscle, as evidence by the 35 bench reps versus the 19 that McClellin posted. Perry also jumped half a foot more in the broad jump (more explosion) and had a 7 inch higher vertical than McClellin (even more explosion). The only advantage McClellin has is that he has bigger hands and has better lateral quickness, but only marginally.

Sorry, but you telling me that McClellin's numbers at the Combines are about the same as Perry's tells me all I need to know. 16 more bench reps (nearly double), six inch difference in the broad jump, 7 inch difference in the vertical and Perry is 11 pounds heavier. Those aren't "the same"...they aren't even close.

Marinelli said they have identical pad level...

May 3rd, 2012, 10:56 am
Modmin Dude

njroar wrote:
m2karateman wrote:
I.E. wrote:

Marinelli said they have identical pad level...
:shock: new_rofl.gif laughing4.gif

May 3rd, 2012, 5:05 pm
Walk On

Haha on the Marinelli jokes. I suppose he could deserve some razzing from Lions fans ... but who's the joke - him or who hired him? The Bucs and Bears fans think he's at least pretty good at what they've asked him to do.

Anyway... Perry's OK but can be kind of a stiff. He wasn't an every down player in college from what I've seen - so measure all you want, I guess. The Bears new GM said McClellan graded out for them higher than every other player on the board at the 19th pick. So I guess we'll see when they play.

People see what they want to see in the draft. That's for certain.

May 7th, 2012, 5:16 pm
RIP Killer

Well, the bears have been on the lions level (of the millen era) as far as the draft goes for the past 5 years or so. Angelo was awful, but we'll see how much better they actually get.

May 7th, 2012, 7:03 pm
Reply to topic   [ 34 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next