View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently November 23rd, 2014, 3:09 pm

Reply to topic  [ 40 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Junior Seau Dead; Cops Investigating Shooting 
Hall of Fame Player

Post Re: Junior Seau Dead; Cops Investigating Shooting
I am saddened to hear this news. But, I am surprised that this type of thing doesn't happen more often. The cheering stops and these guys no longer have any reason to live. It's a shame. I fully expect that, in the not too distant future, we will hear about Bret Favre committing Suicide because he is such a media hound. The NFL should have required training for all players to help them prepare for when the cheering stops.

May 2nd, 2012, 10:21 pm
ST Coordinator – Danny Crossman

Quote:
I am saddened to hear this news. But, I am surprised that this type of thing doesn't happen more often. The cheering stops and these guys no longer have any reason to live. It's a shame. I fully expect that, in the not too distant future, we will hear about Bret Favre committing Suicide because he is such a media hound. The NFL should have required training for all players to help them prepare for when the cheering stops.

you fully expect that? im sorry but that is f...ing ridiculous

seau's story is sad - he acted strange towards the end of his career and also had a car accident that was suspicious for a suicide attempt. he had 3 children and that is a lot to live for after the cheering stops. i doubt that media hounding had any role in his suicide.

May 2nd, 2012, 11:07 pm
Hall of Fame Player

The Legend wrote:
Quote:

you fully expect that? im sorry but that is f...ing ridiculous

seau's story is sad - he acted strange towards the end of his career and also had a car accident that was suspicious for a suicide attempt. he had 3 children and that is a lot to live for after the cheering stops. i doubt that media hounding had any role in his suicide.

Well, your entitled to your opinion just as I am to mine. Bret Favre is a meglamaniac. He craves attention. That's why he put us through the Favre coming back crap for what? 5 straight years it seems. I hope I'm wrong. I don't want it to happen. But, that's the impression I get about Favre. I am quite shocked that Favre didn't try to get a gig on one of the network pregame shows. That would give him the attention he craves.

May 2nd, 2012, 11:34 pm
Rookie Player of the Year

RIP Junior.

May 3rd, 2012, 6:24 am
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

Gone too soon, RIP Junior.

NEVER GIVE UP!

May 3rd, 2012, 8:14 am
Varsity Benchwarmer

Very sad to hear. Junior was a monster of a LB. Played with fire and pashion that was fun to watch in the 90's. I know he wraped up his career in NE, wonder if there was any signs of concussion problems there???? just speculating.

On a side note. While taking my kids to school I normally listen to 107.3 outa GR with mackita and bentley (prob spelled wrong) and I'm very angered by how 1 of them said if I were going to kill myself and I quote (I'D SHOOT MYSELF IN THE HEAD, PUT GUN UNDER CHIN INTEAD OF CHEST) WTF!!!!!! I know its just media BS but talk about insensitive guys. Very bad form sorry had to vent that one :angry:

May 3rd, 2012, 9:06 am
Rookie Player of the Year

jedi~outcast wrote:
Very sad to hear. Junior was a monster of a LB. Played with fire and pashion that was fun to watch in the 90's. I know he wraped up his career in NE, wonder if there was any signs of concussion problems there???? just speculating.

On a side note. While taking my kids to school I normally listen to 107.3 outa GR with mackita and bentley (prob spelled wrong) and I'm very angered by how 1 of them said if I were going to kill myself and I quote (I'D SHOOT MYSELF IN THE HEAD, PUT GUN UNDER CHIN INTEAD OF CHEST) WTF!!!!!! I know its just media BS but talk about insensitive guys. Very bad form sorry had to vent that one :angry:

It's very morbid, but I heard a counselor on sports talk radio here in Chicago yesterday saying that people did that so they could have an open-casket funeral. :(

May 3rd, 2012, 9:13 am
Modmin Dude

thelomasbrowns wrote:
jedi~outcast wrote:

It's very morbid, but I heard a counselor on sports talk radio here in Chicago yesterday saying that people did that so they could have an open-casket funeral. :(
From what I understand, the athletes that commit suicide in this manner (shot to the chest) are usually doing it so their brains can be examined for CTE injury.

May 3rd, 2012, 9:44 am
Modmin Dude

PFT wrote:
Boston researchers request Junior Seau’s brain
Posted by Michael David Smith on May 3, 2012, 9:38 AM EDT

Boston University’s Center for Traumatic Encephalopathy has studied the brains of many deceased football players and almost always found injuries consistent with repeated blows to the head. Now the Center wants to examine the brain of Junior Seau.

Peter King reports that the researchers in Boston are attempting to obtain Seau’s brain.

The death of Seau, who killed himself with a gunshot to the chest, has reminded many of the death of former NFL player Dave Duerson, who also killed himself with a gunshot to the chest and who left a note asking for his brain to be examined to see whether the depression that plagued him late in life could be linked to brain damage he suffered on the football field. The Boston researchers determined that Duerson did, in fact, show signs of Chronic Traumatic Encephalopathy, a progressive degenerative disease of the brain found in people with a history of repetitive brain trauma.

One of the rather shocking developments in football over the last couple years has been the way the words “chronic traumatic encephalopathy” have seeped into the lexicon. It’s long been accepted that if you follow football you know that ACL stands for anterior cruciate ligament and MCL stands for medial collateral ligament. Knowing that CTE stands for chronic traumatic encephalopathy feels different, feels like something we can’t just accept as part of the cost of doing business in the NFL.

If the Boston researchers find that Seau suffered from CTE, and if they believe that CTE precipitated Seau’s suicide, that could be a watershed moment in the way we view the sport, and its effect on those who play it. This is research that should be done, even if it reveals information that makes all of us very uncomfortable about the game we love.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... aus-brain/

May 3rd, 2012, 9:53 am
Pop Warner Rookie

Seau was one of my favorite players to watch growing up,it's sad to see his story end like this.

CTE is some scary stuff.

Next to going deaf that is probably my biggest health fear. I've had numerous concussions and head trauma.

“If this is going to be a Christian nation that doesn't help the poor, either we have to pretend that Jesus was just as selfish as we are, or we've got to acknowledge that He commanded us to love the poor and serve the needy without condition and then admit that we just don't want to do it.”
-Stephen Colbert-

May 3rd, 2012, 1:32 pm
Hall of Fame Player

jedi~outcast wrote:

Actually, most women, who commit suicide with a gun, will shoot themselves in the chest instead of the head. It's a vanity issue. They don't want to mess up their face. Not saying that Junior is a female. Just that maybe, he didn't want to mess up his face.

May 4th, 2012, 11:04 am
Hall of Fame Player

Nurosa wrote:
I've had numerous concussions and head trauma.

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

SO THAT EXPLAINS IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Just dogging you a bit. LOL.

May 4th, 2012, 11:06 am
Pop Warner Rookie

BillySims wrote:
Nurosa wrote:

Nah I was messed up years before I started playing football. The concussions didn't help though.

At last count they estimate I've had 13 or so.

“If this is going to be a Christian nation that doesn't help the poor, either we have to pretend that Jesus was just as selfish as we are, or we've got to acknowledge that He commanded us to love the poor and serve the needy without condition and then admit that we just don't want to do it.”
-Stephen Colbert-

May 4th, 2012, 1:48 pm
Hall of Fame Player

Nurosa wrote:
BillySims wrote:
Nurosa wrote:

Nah I was messed up years before I started playing football. The concussions didn't help though.

At last count they estimate I've had 13 or so.

Have you ever considered wearing a helmet full time? LOL.

I'm joking with you. But, I am not trying to make light of what you are going through. So, please don't think otherwise. I have had had a concussion a couple of times myself. My first one, I awoke after having a seizure. I got whacked across the forehead with a baseball bat. Seen a flash of white light and woke up with a mouth full of baseball diamond. Amazingly, I felt absolutely no pain from it. EVER. But, I do notice, that I have never been the same since it happened. I don't exactly know what is different though.

May 4th, 2012, 2:06 pm
Pop Warner Rookie

I know . I laugh at me most days. I have issues with memory,depression and equilibrium often. Hence why CTE scares the crap outta me.

Makes it fun to study something thinking it's for class and realising later you have been out of school for years.

I highly recommend people with kids who play football keep track of the "head hurts" they get. Chances are they won't remember them so someone needs to.

I've had roughly 8 from football,3 from car wrecks and 2 from people being stupid. It's not a laughing matter and the more study that happens the scarier it seems.

-Stephen Colbert-

May 4th, 2012, 2:39 pm
Reply to topic   [ 40 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next