View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently October 30th, 2014, 1:33 pm

Reply to topic  [ 71 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Lions: One Big Question 

Did the Detroit Lions do enough to address their secondary?
Yes. I'm satisfied. 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Yes. But I'm only a little concerned. 31%  31%  [ 8 ]
No. It's still the biggest weakness. 54%  54%  [ 14 ]
No. And I'll be disappointed if Mayhew doesn't fix it asap. 15%  15%  [ 4 ]
Total votes : 26

Hall of Fame Player

Post Lions: One Big Question
ESPN.com wrote:

May, 3, 2012 / 12:00PM ET
By Kevin Seifert | ESPN.com

When the offseason began, it was reasonable to lock in two starters among the Lions' defensive backfield: safety Louis Delmas and cornerback Chris Houston. That left the other two starters open and possibly subject to upgrade after a well-documented collapse of their pass defense.

Four months later, nothing has really changed about that arrangement. Cornerback Eric Wright signed with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, and if there is a safety on the roster who will challenge 2010-11 starter Amari Spievey, he isn't easily identifiable.

It appears the Lions are set to open training camp with oft-injured nickel back Aaron Berry, free agent Jacob Lacey and perhaps Alphonso Smith competing for Wright's former position. Although they drafted three cornerbacks last week, the best-case scenario is probably for third-rounder Dwight Bentley to win the nickel spot.

You can't fill every hole in an offseason, and the Lions' secondary will continue to be protected by one of the best defensive fronts in the game. But there some important questions remaining to be answered.

Baring some kind of trade I'd have to say the secondary still needs a lot of work. But what are the options?

May 3rd, 2012, 2:42 pm
Profile WWW
RIP Killer

Post Re: Lions: One Big Question
I voted No, it is still our biggest weakness. The more I think about it the more I realize this was something that would have had to be addressed in FA. Outside of the top 3/4 corners in the draft, I don't think any would be able to win the #2 spot. I wasn't impressed by the safties available after round 1 either.

The Lions have a bunch of CB projects on their roster so lets hope one can step up and make a name for himself.

Don't discount Mayhew yet, I could see them making another trade to upgrade the position before the opener and Mayhew picking off a vet who could get cut in camp.

May 3rd, 2012, 3:03 pm
Profile WWW
Play by Play Announcer - Al Michaels

Opening weekend isn't for a few months and there is still time to pull off some trades and/or free agent signings. Plus, it is difficult for anyone to assess at this point whether or not any of the draft picks will be contributors this year. Therefore, I'm not voting because the question seems premature.

May 3rd, 2012, 3:08 pm
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

I voted No, still a weakness. However, I am hoping that Mayhew pulls something off that will give the Lions a more solid corner to pair with Houston.

NEVER GIVE UP!

May 3rd, 2012, 3:14 pm
Play by Play Announcer - Al Michaels

The Lions did not really have a chance to fix their secondary. They were strapped for cash and could not make any significant signings. The secondary players that I felt comfortable spending first and 2nd round picks on were gone (I would not have minded a trade up in the 2nd for Jenkins I assume).

The only scenario that I could have seen us truly upgrading the secondary would have been if:

The lions could have tagged and traded Avril for a 2nd.
Use that extra cash available with Avrils departure to pull in a top Cornerback such as Finnegan.
Package additional pick to move up and get Barron or get back in the first to get Harrison Smith.
Use original 2nd rounder on Vinny Curry to help replace Avril.

While this would have been possible it would have been unlikely. Also, It benefits from Hindsight.

May 3rd, 2012, 10:23 pm
Varsity Benchwarmer

we've been using stop-gag guys for years, why change things now lol. I feel like one of the rookies could step up and provide some decent protection :^o At least we are young in the back and not overpaying for old farts anymore...

May 3rd, 2012, 10:49 pm
Heisman Winner

There is still a chance of resigning Avril soon and then getting someone like Atogwe before camp.

May 3rd, 2012, 11:32 pm
RIP Killer

I voted No, still a weakness....mostly because the Lions have done NOTHING to address the safety spot next to Delmas. Even if they try Chris Greenwood at safety, he'll be a project much like Spievey was. And despite the fact that Amari was doing OK at the beginning of the season last year, his failure to perform well when Delmas got hurt is testimony to how much he relied on others to cover his mistakes. Spievey is a backup, at best. He MUST be replaced by a capable safety. The Lions had a shot at drafting possible replacements that were at least familiar with playing the position, but instead chose to go in a different direction. So be it. But teams are going to find a way to expose that one weak safety if it doesn't get fixed.

May 4th, 2012, 9:39 am
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

m2karateman wrote:
I voted No, still a weakness....mostly because the Lions have done NOTHING to address the safety spot next to Delmas. Even if they try Chris Greenwood at safety, he'll be a project much like Spievey was. And despite the fact that Amari was doing OK at the beginning of the season last year, his failure to perform well when Delmas got hurt is testimony to how much he relied on others to cover his mistakes. Spievey is a backup, at best. He MUST be replaced by a capable safety. The Lions had a shot at drafting possible replacements that were at least familiar with playing the position, but instead chose to go in a different direction. So be it. But teams are going to find a way to expose that one weak safety if it doesn't get fixed.

We still have Erik Coleman, right? Could the Lions be counting on him this season?

NEVER GIVE UP!

May 4th, 2012, 10:03 am
National Champion

I didn't vote, bacause there wasn't an option for "we'll have to see."

I agree we really didn't address saftey, but maybe one of these CB can be moved (Greenwood?) and another one (Dwight Bentley?) for starting corner, then we addressed it. However, right now those are unknowns.

May 4th, 2012, 12:09 pm
Hall of Fame Player

LionFan57 wrote:
ESPN.com wrote:

May, 3, 2012 / 12:00PM ET
By Kevin Seifert | ESPN.com

When the offseason began, it was reasonable to lock in two starters among the Lions' defensive backfield: safety Louis Delmas and cornerback Chris Houston. That left the other two starters open and possibly subject to upgrade after a well-documented collapse of their pass defense.

Four months later, nothing has really changed about that arrangement. Cornerback Eric Wright signed with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, and if there is a safety on the roster who will challenge 2010-11 starter Amari Spievey, he isn't easily identifiable.

It appears the Lions are set to open training camp with oft-injured nickel back Aaron Berry, free agent Jacob Lacey and perhaps Alphonso Smith competing for Wright's former position. Although they drafted three cornerbacks last week, the best-case scenario is probably for third-rounder Dwight Bentley to win the nickel spot.

You can't fill every hole in an offseason, and the Lions' secondary will continue to be protected by one of the best defensive fronts in the game. But there some important questions remaining to be answered.

Baring some kind of trade I'd have to say the secondary still needs a lot of work. But what are the options?

And I m so sick of the statement that you can't fill every hole in 1 off season.

4 years ago, 3 years ago, 2 years ago I can agree to that. But in the 4th year? You darn sure should be able to fill the remaining holes. It's a darn shame that the whole team is Super Bowl Contenders. BUT, our secondary is going to make us lucky if we even make the playoffs :!:

Green Bay and New Orleans showed the entire NFL how to beat the Lions in our last 2 games. We will be lucky to go 8-8 unless we find some way to fix our Secondary and fix it ASAP :!:

As of right this moment, I do not see more than 1 division win this season. Our home game against the Vikings. That's 5 losses right off the bat.

May 4th, 2012, 12:43 pm
National Champion

Really, Billy? You don't think we can beat Chicago at home? I think we have a shotto beat the ViQueens in Minnisota as well...

May 4th, 2012, 12:47 pm
Hall of Fame Player

P.S.

I voted No. And I'll be disappointed if Mayhew doesn't fix it asap.

IMHO CB is the 1 spot on this team that is holding us back from being in the Super Bowl. Another Safety is a very close 2nd. But, you seal up both CB spots and Safety can be covered for given the strong D-line that we have. It also helps to cover for any LBing deficiencies that we have.

CB has been addressed. But, only time will tell if it has been fixed. Simply addressing a position does not mean it is fixed. While, there is some chance that at least 1 of the 3 CB's could eventually become our #2 CB, we better swing a deal to make darn sure we have a #2 CB :!: Or we will not win more than 8 games this year. We won't fool anyone anymore.

May 4th, 2012, 12:58 pm
Hall of Fame Player

Hystrix wrote:
Really, Billy? You don't think we can beat Chicago at home? I think we have a shotto beat the ViQueens in Minnisota as well...

No. Chicago, despite having a sub par draft, had a fantastic Free Agency. They have improved themselves far more than we did. I actually think we did nothing more than tread water. Which means we got passed by Chicago and left further in the dust by Green Bay. Reiff, upon further review and study, will likely be better than what I learned of him prior to the draft. But, he might not even start this year and if he does, I don't see him being any more effective in his rookie year than Gos is right now. ( Make no mistake, he will eventually be better than Gos. Just not this year.) And if he does start at RT and Gos moves inside to RG, we don't KNOW that Gos will be any better at RG than Peterman.

And Green Bay simply pulled farther away from us.

edited to add:

But, then again, maybe the best thing that could ever happen to us would be that we end up with the 1st or 2nd overall pick next year and be able to trade down a few spots for a kings ransom like St. Louis did this year.

May 4th, 2012, 1:07 pm
1st Round Pick

Location: Cloudy Town, Minnesota. 763.18 miles from Ford Field
No. And I'll be disappointed if Mayhew doesn't fix it asap.

Follow me on Twitter: @W2G4U

May 4th, 2012, 1:29 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 71 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next