View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently October 24th, 2014, 11:02 am



Reply to topic  [ 50 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
 Your Thoughts Post 2012 Draft 

Are You Satisfied with the Lions 2012 Draft?
Completely 14%  14%  [ 5 ]
Yes, but would have preferred a few different players at the places we picked 57%  57%  [ 21 ]
Not Really, but I am willing to give the Lions FO the benefit of the doubt. 27%  27%  [ 10 ]
Heck No, What were those guys smoking? 3%  3%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 37

 Your Thoughts Post 2012 Draft 
Author Message
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)
User avatar

Joined: April 5th, 2007, 5:51 pm
Posts: 2284
Post Re: Your Thoughts Post 2012 Draft
Couldnt diagree with you more LF57.

Bently was a 2nd round recommendation from many, include el pelo. Broyles wouldnt have lasted into the late 3rd as the Career leader for receptions in D1 Football with 349 and 48 TDs... He was a borderline 1st rounder before the injury and since he appear to be on the road to recovery was still a good value.

Totally understand hating the choice of a WR in rd 2 as many feel [including me] that we could have gotten a slot wr+PR/KR in round 4-6.... but the players we got in 2 & 3 were solid to good values where they were drafted.


May 4th, 2012, 12:44 pm
Profile ICQ WWW
RIP Killer
User avatar

Joined: October 20th, 2004, 4:16 pm
Posts: 9891
Location: Where ever I'm at now
Post Re: Your Thoughts Post 2012 Draft
Bentley was a good value pick in round three. He may not push for a starting job this season, but that doesn't mean he doesn't improve the group of CBs on the roster. He does every bit of that. I'll take him over Alfonso Smith. And he could turn out to be better and far more reliable than Aaron Berry.

With the Broyles pick....I'm sorry, but that was a reach. Any player coming back from an ACL injury like that can't be looked at as an instant contributor. As I've said before, I like the player, just not where he was picked. If the Lions had taken Konz (like they should have) in round two and lost out on Broyles, so be it. I still think the Lions would benefit more from getting a big possession style receiver than another slot guy. Lord knows, I could be wrong, but it's how I feel. However, I do think that the Lions definitely had to get another receiver. If one of the top three guys goes down, we had nothing in the way of someone else who can step in and be effective. My biggest problem is that if Calvin goes down, we have no big receiver to step in as our big target. There were a number of bigger receivers, like Reuben Randle, that could have been taken where Broyles was. And Randle was universally seen as having a higher grade than Broyles.

_________________
Driver of the 'we need a coaching change' bandwagon. Climb aboard.


May 4th, 2012, 1:16 pm
Profile
Hall of Fame Player
User avatar

Joined: May 7th, 2005, 3:25 pm
Posts: 7443
Location: Earth/Sagittarius Dwarf Galaxy
Post Re: Your Thoughts Post 2012 Draft
m2karateman wrote:
Bentley was a good value pick in round three. He may not push for a starting job this season, but that doesn't mean he doesn't improve the group of CBs on the roster. He does every bit of that. I'll take him over Alfonso Smith. And he could turn out to be better and far more reliable than Aaron Berry.

With the Broyles pick....I'm sorry, but that was a reach. Any player coming back from an ACL injury like that can't be looked at as an instant contributor. As I've said before, I like the player, just not where he was picked. If the Lions had taken Konz (like they should have) in round two and lost out on Broyles, so be it. I still think the Lions would benefit more from getting a big possession style receiver than another slot guy. Lord knows, I could be wrong, but it's how I feel. However, I do think that the Lions definitely had to get another receiver. If one of the top three guys goes down, we had nothing in the way of someone else who can step in and be effective. My biggest problem is that if Calvin goes down, we have no big receiver to step in as our big target. There were a number of bigger receivers, like Reuben Randle, that could have been taken where Broyles was. And Randle was universally seen as having a higher grade than Broyles.


I agree that Broyles was a reach. But, I think that Titus Young could step in and do a reasonably good job of replacing Calvin if the Madden Curse strikes. We could have gotten a 3rd/4th WR much later or in Free Agency.


May 4th, 2012, 1:33 pm
Profile
Hall of Fame Player
User avatar

Joined: April 5th, 2005, 7:03 am
Posts: 7411
Location: Ford Field - 35 yard line / Row 32
Post Re: Your Thoughts Post 2012 Draft
DJ-B wrote:
LionFan57 wrote:
thelomasbrowns wrote:
Dan Miller had a great point: Bill Bentley had been creeping into round 2 on some draft boards. If we had taken Bentley in the 2nd and Broyles in the 3rd, would fans now be praising the Lions for a successful draft?



No. I still not would not be satisfied. Broyles was a moronic pick! Even if he was healthy. Plus, in the scenario proposed, Bentley would have been a reach at # 2 - and - there would still have been no excuse for not taking Konz!!

Miller is just towing the company line and trying to put lipstick on a pig!

Couldnt diagree with you more LF57.

Bently was a 2nd round recommendation from many, include el pelo. Broyles wouldnt have lasted into the late 3rd as the Career leader for receptions in D1 Football with 349 and 48 TDs... He was a borderline 1st rounder before the injury and since he appear to be on the road to recovery was still a good value.

Totally understand hating the choice of a WR in rd 2 as many feel [including me] that we could have gotten a slot wr+PR/KR in round 4-6.... but the players we got in 2 & 3 were solid to good values where they were drafted.


And...

m2karateman wrote:
Bentley was a good value pick in round three. He may not push for a starting job this season, but that doesn't mean he doesn't improve the group of CBs on the roster. He does every bit of that. I'll take him over Alfonso Smith. And he could turn out to be better and far more reliable than Aaron Berry.

With the Broyles pick....I'm sorry, but that was a reach. Any player coming back from an ACL injury like that can't be looked at as an instant contributor. As I've said before, I like the player, just not where he was picked. If the Lions had taken Konz (like they should have) in round two and lost out on Broyles, so be it. I still think the Lions would benefit more from getting a big possession style receiver than another slot guy. Lord knows, I could be wrong, but it's how I feel. However, I do think that the Lions definitely had to get another receiver. If one of the top three guys goes down, we had nothing in the way of someone else who can step in and be effective. My biggest problem is that if Calvin goes down, we have no big receiver to step in as our big target. There were a number of bigger receivers, like Reuben Randle, that could have been taken where Broyles was. And Randle was universally seen as having a higher grade than Broyles.




First of all, I don't like the way everyone uses the word 'value' as it pertains to the draft. It's really a misnomer, not only is it entirely subjective, it implies that other teams covet something you got at a 'below market' cost (darft pick).

If I apply that philosophy to the actual draft of Broyles in the second round then:

1) Why didn't anybody take Broyles before us?

2) The Atlanta Falcons would have been in their war room saying, "Holy crap! After Detroit picks we're going to have our choice of Konz, OR, Broyles!!" And I just don't believe they were saying that. Instead, after we picked, my bet is they said, "Holy crap! Those phucktards in Detroit just gave us Konz!!" In fact, I'd bet good money that there wasn't another team in the next 35 picks afterwards where anybody said, "Man, did we screw up not trading up to the 54th pick to get (a Slot WR with a bum ACL) Broyles!"

Those things didn't happen because Broyles had no value where we took him! So I'd be so much happier if people would stop calling Broyles a 'good value' because he wasn't going until late in the 3rd or maybe even the 4th round.


If I apply my 'use of the word, value' philosophy to the question posed by Dan Miller where the 2nd and 3rd round picks were reversed; Then maybe you could argue Broyles was a 'good / decent' value by pick # 85. However, we still didn't need a slot WR that bad to take one in the 3rd round. Therefore, we could have had a more valuable player.

OR, We could have packaged that 3rd rd pick (#85) with another later pick(s) (maybe even the one we used to draft a player out of Albion for the first time in 44 fricken years) to move up to the top of the 3rd round and get a CB or S that's actually taller than I am. Instead we drafted mini-me.

Dan Miller's hypothetical question is stupid because if anybody 'valued' Bentley he'd have gone somewhere between #54 and # 85! So not 1 of the 32 teams saw him being of any value anywhere before #85. So I fail to see how we got 'good value' for either Broyles or Bentley.

Furthermore, if we had taken Konz then we suddenly have a young refurbished OL as well as trade bait where we're in a position to deal Petermen, and / or Cherilus, or maybe even Raiola. (keeping Backus for another year or more.)

_________________
Image


May 4th, 2012, 3:07 pm
Profile WWW
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)
User avatar

Joined: April 5th, 2007, 5:51 pm
Posts: 2284
Post Re: Your Thoughts Post 2012 Draft
Cant argue with someone stating opinion as fact in a situation that is impossible to argue because it already happened and nobody after 54 had a chance to draft broyles. Moot point.

Also, if you apply what you just described, then no pick in any draft in the history of the NFL was ever a good value, because nobody picking later traded up to get them ahead of someone else.

Of course it is "perceived value" and of course it different for every team, but you either roll with a comkmonly accepted perceived value, or you stop talking about this idea of drafting value in the first place. Maybe that was your point, but then we are bck to why have these forums. why discuss the draft. Just let your team pick players and watch the games and root for them, but never discuss any of it.


May 4th, 2012, 3:15 pm
Profile ICQ WWW
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic   [ 50 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Pablo, Yahoo [Bot] and 7 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by STSoftware.