View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently August 30th, 2014, 2:16 pm



Reply to topic  [ 71 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Lions: One Big Question 

Did the Detroit Lions do enough to address their secondary?
Yes. I'm satisfied. 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Yes. But I'm only a little concerned. 31%  31%  [ 8 ]
No. It's still the biggest weakness. 54%  54%  [ 14 ]
No. And I'll be disappointed if Mayhew doesn't fix it asap. 15%  15%  [ 4 ]
Total votes : 26

 Lions: One Big Question 
Author Message
RIP Killer
User avatar

Joined: October 20th, 2004, 4:16 pm
Posts: 9850
Location: Where ever I'm at now
Post Re: Lions: One Big Question
I think you guys are forgetting that there's still a bunch of free agency left. PLayers are still being released, like Drayton Florence did today, that can be brought in. What has to happen is that the Lions get Avril under contract for an acceptable amount so that they have the money to make these signings. Some of you seem to think they have all sorts of unused cap space and aren't doing anything with it. Lewand and Mayhew are hamstrung financially.

_________________
Driver of the 'we need a coaching change' bandwagon. Climb aboard.


May 4th, 2012, 1:34 pm
Profile
Hall of Fame Player
User avatar

Joined: May 7th, 2005, 3:25 pm
Posts: 7304
Location: Earth/Sagittarius Dwarf Galaxy
Post Re: Lions: One Big Question
m2karateman wrote:
I think you guys are forgetting that there's still a bunch of free agency left. PLayers are still being released, like Drayton Florence did today, that can be brought in. What has to happen is that the Lions get Avril under contract for an acceptable amount so that they have the money to make these signings. Some of you seem to think they have all sorts of unused cap space and aren't doing anything with it. Lewand and Mayhew are hamstrung financially.


No, I didn't forget. It is precisely because we are capped out that we NEEDED to get a Starting CB in the draft. Unless Avril signs a long term Contract soon that gives us immediate cap relief, we are screwed, glued, and tatooed for this year. There comes a time when you need to take a significant risk. We needed to take that risk on Jenkins in the 2nd round this year.


May 4th, 2012, 1:47 pm
Profile
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)
User avatar

Joined: April 5th, 2007, 5:51 pm
Posts: 2279
Post Re: Lions: One Big Question
BillySims wrote:
We will be lucky to go 8-8 unless we find some way to fix our Secondary and fix it ASAP :!:


I didnt realize we face 2 of the most prolific offenses in the History of the NFL 8 times next season, thanks for cluing us in.

BillySims wrote:
But, then again, maybe the best thing that could ever happen to us would be that we end up with the 1st or 2nd overall pick next year and be able to trade down a few spots for a kings ransom like St. Louis did this year.


Shes gone from SUCK to BLOW.... so now we went from 10-6 last season, to you being worried about making the playoffs next year at 8-8 (if lucky) to the 1st or 2nd overall draft pick (requiring a record somewhere in the 1-15 to 3-13 range.

Pass the cheba buddy...

P.S. - I agree with you about the need to fix the secondary, just pointing out how ridiculous you get when you are worked up about a topic. :)


May 4th, 2012, 2:40 pm
Profile ICQ WWW
Hall of Fame Player
User avatar

Joined: May 7th, 2005, 3:25 pm
Posts: 7304
Location: Earth/Sagittarius Dwarf Galaxy
Post Re: Lions: One Big Question
DJ-B wrote:
BillySims wrote:
We will be lucky to go 8-8 unless we find some way to fix our Secondary and fix it ASAP :!:


I didnt realize we face 2 of the most prolific offenses in the History of the NFL 8 times next season, thanks for cluing us in.

BillySims wrote:
But, then again, maybe the best thing that could ever happen to us would be that we end up with the 1st or 2nd overall pick next year and be able to trade down a few spots for a kings ransom like St. Louis did this year.


Shes gone from SUCK to BLOW.... so now we went from 10-6 last season, to you being worried about making the playoffs next year at 8-8 (if lucky) to the 1st or 2nd overall draft pick (requiring a record somewhere in the 1-15 to 3-13 range.

Pass the cheba buddy...

P.S. - I agree with you about the need to fix the secondary, just pointing out how ridiculous you get when you are worked up about a topic. :)


Where did I ever say that we would only lose to Chicago and Green Bay? Fact is Green Bay and New Orleans showed the entire NFL how to beat us in our last 2 games. Did you like what you saw? I hope so. You are going to see a whole lot more of it. The best D-line in league history can not compensate for how bad our secondary is.

And No, I'm not worried about us making the playoffs. I don't expect us to even make the playoffs this coming season because of our Secondary. Furthermore, I offered 8-8 as a best case scenario.

Ridicule me now. But, watch it happen and listen to me say I told you so later.

Fact is, I believe we caught teams by surprise last year. EVEN THOUGH everyone expected us to be playoff contenders last year, we played better than they expected. And even though we played better than they expected, we barely made the playoffs. If Cutler didn't get hurt, we were on the outside looking in. They will be prepared for us next year.

With the fact that they will be better prepared for us plus the fact that both Chicago and Green Bay gained on us, as did the Vikings ( only not as much ) we will win only our home game against the Vikings within the division this year.


May 4th, 2012, 2:59 pm
Profile
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)
User avatar

Joined: April 5th, 2007, 5:51 pm
Posts: 2279
Post Re: Lions: One Big Question
Just because teams have a Blueprint on how to beat us, Doesnt turn Alex smith Into Brees or Rodgers, nor does it give their teams 4 top rated WRs to allow them to easily pick apart our secondary.

Roadmaps don't mean poop if they lead you to a place your vehicle cant physically drive too.


May 4th, 2012, 3:04 pm
Profile ICQ WWW
Hall of Fame Player
User avatar

Joined: May 7th, 2005, 3:25 pm
Posts: 7304
Location: Earth/Sagittarius Dwarf Galaxy
Post Re: Lions: One Big Question
DJ-B wrote:
Just because teams have a Blueprint on how to beat us, Doesnt turn Alex smith Into Brees or Rodgers, nor does it give their teams 4 top rated WRs to allow them to easily pick apart our secondary.

Roadmaps don't mean poop if they lead you to a place your vehicle cant physically drive too.


Your right! Green Bays blueprint on how to beat us only made Matt Flynn have a better game than Peyton Manning has EVER had. And I wouldn't say that Green Bay has 4 top rated WR's either.


May 4th, 2012, 3:10 pm
Profile
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)
User avatar

Joined: April 5th, 2007, 5:51 pm
Posts: 2279
Post Re: Lions: One Big Question
GB has the best WR core in the NFL. Good enough to make a backup QB look stellar (with the help of an INJURED & weak Lions secondary). If not them who would you say has the best 4 deep in the league last year?

P.S> - Remember I do actually agree with all of your points about what we need to fix and where we drafted broyles, just dont get why you go soooo over the top trying to prove your points, that it makes you seem less insightful that you actually are.


May 4th, 2012, 3:17 pm
Profile ICQ WWW
Hall of Fame Player
User avatar

Joined: May 7th, 2005, 3:25 pm
Posts: 7304
Location: Earth/Sagittarius Dwarf Galaxy
Post Re: Lions: One Big Question
DJ-B wrote:
GB has the best WR core in the NFL. Good enough to make a backup QB look stellar (with the help of an INJURED & weak Lions secondary). If not them who would you say has the best 4 deep in the league last year?

P.S> - Remember I do actually agree with all of your points about what we need to fix and where we drafted broyles, just dont get why you go soooo over the top trying to prove your points, that it makes you seem less insightful that you actually are.


You said Top Rated WR's. While they have 4 very good WR's, I would not rate any of them in the top 10 WR's in the league. Maybe not even top 15.

I don't think I'm going "over the top" on this by stating the obvious. I simply find it incredible that everyone isn't ticked off we didn't fix the most glaring need anyone in the entire NFL has. Our Secondary. While we did address it, we most certainly have not fixed it.

In today's NFL, every team needs, at minimum, 3 starting quality CB's. We have 1 proven starting quality CB. And I wouldn't rate him in the top 15 in the league.

Quote:
just dont get why you go soooo over the top trying to prove your points, that it makes you seem less insightful that you actually are.


I do go over the top from time to time. But, maybe it is because, all too often, I state an opinion and/or the obvious, and a whole lot of people think I'm crazy and/or smoking dope. If anyone else stated the same thing there would be a whole lot of +1's.

But, I am dead serious. We will not win more than 8 games this season if we do not work a trade to get at least 1 more starting quality CB. Mark it down. And we will see if I'm nuts.

I predicted 12-4 last year based on the idea that we would be better than other teams were prepared to give us credit for. When in fact I didn't believe our defense was good enough to win more than 8 games. I was only off by 2 games.

This coming season, teams will be prepared better for us.


May 4th, 2012, 4:06 pm
Profile
Online
Player of the Year - Defense

Joined: September 25th, 2007, 3:20 am
Posts: 2746
Post Re: Lions: One Big Question
BillySims wrote:
DJ-B wrote:
GB has the best WR core in the NFL. Good enough to make a backup QB look stellar (with the help of an INJURED & weak Lions secondary). If not them who would you say has the best 4 deep in the league last year?

P.S> - Remember I do actually agree with all of your points about what we need to fix and where we drafted broyles, just dont get why you go soooo over the top trying to prove your points, that it makes you seem less insightful that you actually are.


You said Top Rated WR's. While they have 4 very good WR's, I would not rate any of them in the top 10 WR's in the league. Maybe not even top 15.

I don't think I'm going "over the top" on this by stating the obvious. I simply find it incredible that everyone isn't ticked off we didn't fix the most glaring need anyone in the entire NFL has. Our Secondary. While we did address it, we most certainly have not fixed it.

In today's NFL, every team needs, at minimum, 3 starting quality CB's. We have 1 proven starting quality CB. And I wouldn't rate him in the top 15 in the league.

Quote:
just dont get why you go soooo over the top trying to prove your points, that it makes you seem less insightful that you actually are.


I do go over the top from time to time. But, maybe it is because, all too often, I state an opinion and/or the obvious, and a whole lot of people think I'm crazy and/or smoking dope. If anyone else stated the same thing there would be a whole lot of +1's.

But, I am dead serious. We will not win more than 8 games this season if we do not work a trade to get at least 1 more starting quality CB. Mark it down. And we will see if I'm nuts.

I predicted 12-4 last year based on the idea that we would be better than other teams were prepared to give us credit for. When in fact I didn't believe our defense was good enough to win more than 8 games. I was only off by 2 games.

This coming season, teams will be prepared better for us.


No post like this would get a lot of +1's from whoever posted it. You're not only going over the top, you're completely off the mark. NOT 1 of the top corners in this draft would have stopped GB or NO's passing game alone, especially just the last two games.

1 - Houston was injured and not 100%.
2 - Wright, who played well at times, lost all confidence and couldn't cover a 5th receiver, let alone a 2nd.
3 - Berry wasn't 100%
4 - Smith sat out way too long and wasn't close to game shape or preparedness when he did get in.
5 - DL was banged up. Lojack wasn't 100%, KVB wasn't 100%, Fairley wasn't 100%, WYoung wasn't 100%.
6 - We missed more tackles then we ever got beat deep.

Our defense as a whole didn't play well the last half of the season. That doesn't give a blueprint. If it did, GB's loss and the multiple losses by NO would eliminate them from the playoffs every single year.

You said you weren't going to react to this year's draft, because you always have it differently in your mind. Well it did turn out differently and you're overreacting again and dismissing the team because they didn't pick the one position you had slated as a dire need until the 3rd round. Lacey is a better corner then Wright. Bently will most likely surpass Lacey, Berry and the others we drafted. But do I know for sure? Nope. Do you know for sure what you're predicting? At least let them get onto the practice field until you start proclaiming us drafting 1 or 2 in the draft again.


May 4th, 2012, 4:28 pm
Profile
Hall of Fame Player
User avatar

Joined: April 5th, 2005, 7:03 am
Posts: 7411
Location: Ford Field - 35 yard line / Row 32
Post Re: Lions: One Big Question
A point of interest here:

Vegas has released it's odds and Over / Under numbers.

Would it surprise anyone if I said that the Over / Under for the Lions this year is 8 1/2 games?

I'm not siding with Billy's 8 game prediction here, but he might be closer than a lot of people think!

Just sayin'.

_________________
Image


May 4th, 2012, 4:37 pm
Profile WWW
Hall of Fame Player
User avatar

Joined: May 7th, 2005, 3:25 pm
Posts: 7304
Location: Earth/Sagittarius Dwarf Galaxy
Post Re: Lions: One Big Question
njroar wrote:
BillySims wrote:
DJ-B wrote:
GB has the best WR core in the NFL. Good enough to make a backup QB look stellar (with the help of an INJURED & weak Lions secondary). If not them who would you say has the best 4 deep in the league last year?

P.S> - Remember I do actually agree with all of your points about what we need to fix and where we drafted broyles, just dont get why you go soooo over the top trying to prove your points, that it makes you seem less insightful that you actually are.


You said Top Rated WR's. While they have 4 very good WR's, I would not rate any of them in the top 10 WR's in the league. Maybe not even top 15.

I don't think I'm going "over the top" on this by stating the obvious. I simply find it incredible that everyone isn't ticked off we didn't fix the most glaring need anyone in the entire NFL has. Our Secondary. While we did address it, we most certainly have not fixed it.

In today's NFL, every team needs, at minimum, 3 starting quality CB's. We have 1 proven starting quality CB. And I wouldn't rate him in the top 15 in the league.

Quote:
just dont get why you go soooo over the top trying to prove your points, that it makes you seem less insightful that you actually are.


I do go over the top from time to time. But, maybe it is because, all too often, I state an opinion and/or the obvious, and a whole lot of people think I'm crazy and/or smoking dope. If anyone else stated the same thing there would be a whole lot of +1's.

But, I am dead serious. We will not win more than 8 games this season if we do not work a trade to get at least 1 more starting quality CB. Mark it down. And we will see if I'm nuts.

I predicted 12-4 last year based on the idea that we would be better than other teams were prepared to give us credit for. When in fact I didn't believe our defense was good enough to win more than 8 games. I was only off by 2 games.

This coming season, teams will be prepared better for us.


No post like this would get a lot of +1's from whoever posted it. You're not only going over the top, you're completely off the mark. NOT 1 of the top corners in this draft would have stopped GB or NO's passing game alone, especially just the last two games.

1 - Houston was injured and not 100%.
2 - Wright, who played well at times, lost all confidence and couldn't cover a 5th receiver, let alone a 2nd.
3 - Berry wasn't 100%
4 - Smith sat out way too long and wasn't close to game shape or preparedness when he did get in.
5 - DL was banged up. Lojack wasn't 100%, KVB wasn't 100%, Fairley wasn't 100%, WYoung wasn't 100%.
6 - We missed more tackles then we ever got beat deep.

Our defense as a whole didn't play well the last half of the season. That doesn't give a blueprint. If it did, GB's loss and the multiple losses by NO would eliminate them from the playoffs every single year.

You said you weren't going to react to this year's draft, because you always have it differently in your mind. Well it did turn out differently and you're overreacting again and dismissing the team because they didn't pick the one position you had slated as a dire need until the 3rd round. Lacey is a better corner then Wright. Bently will most likely surpass Lacey, Berry and the others we drafted. But do I know for sure? Nope. Do you know for sure what you're predicting? At least let them get onto the practice field until you start proclaiming us drafting 1 or 2 in the draft again.


Where did I say that the guy we drafted would be doing it alone? He would obviously be added to what we already have. And I would have stuck to not reacting to this years draft if Mayhew hadn't screwed the pooch in the 2nd round. With Calvin and Titus, Broyles will never be more than a #3 WR on our team. Sorry, you do not use a 2nd round pick on a #3 anything on your team. That's what late round picks are for.

I am ok with the Reiff pick. It was a need. Broyles was questionable at best as being the BPA. And was certainly not a need in the 2nd round. I think he will be stashed on IR this year. ( Always seam to stash at least 1 rookie on IR ) He's it this year. So, I don't believe we will get anything from him this year.


May 4th, 2012, 4:48 pm
Profile
Hall of Fame Player
User avatar

Joined: May 7th, 2005, 3:25 pm
Posts: 7304
Location: Earth/Sagittarius Dwarf Galaxy
Post Re: Lions: One Big Question
LionFan57 wrote:
A point of interest here:

Vegas has released it's odds and Over / Under numbers.

Would it surprise anyone if I said that the Over / Under for the Lions this year is 8 1/2 games?

I'm not siding with Billy's 8 game prediction here, but he might be closer than a lot of people think!

Just sayin'.


I'm not even saying we will win 8. That's a best case scenario if we do not swing a trade for a starting quality CB.

NOTE My argument is all based on if we do not get another starting quality CB.


May 4th, 2012, 4:51 pm
Profile
RIP Killer
User avatar

Joined: October 20th, 2004, 4:16 pm
Posts: 9850
Location: Where ever I'm at now
Post Re: Lions: One Big Question
How many games the Lions win won't be based on defense, it will be based on the offense. If Stafford and Calvin stay healthy, we'll hang on for about 9 or 10 wins again, second in the NFCN again, with a chance at a wild card berth. Chicago didn't improve all that much. They can say whatever they want, but their draft picks don't impress me and their defense is getting worse each season. The Lions will definitely win one, and possibly both meetings. Minnesota is two wins. Green Bay did get better, but I think the Lions can beat them if they put it together.

While I agree that our secondary is an area of concern, the biggest concern isn't the corner playing opposite Houston, it's the safety playing next to Delmas. Improve that spot and your secondary gets much better. Improve the corner spot in question, and you've improved the secondary just a little.

_________________
Driver of the 'we need a coaching change' bandwagon. Climb aboard.


May 4th, 2012, 5:19 pm
Profile
Online
Team MVP
User avatar

Joined: February 20th, 2007, 10:51 pm
Posts: 3331
Location: Saginaw, MI
Post Re: Lions: One Big Question
m2karateman wrote:
I voted No, still a weakness....mostly because the Lions have done NOTHING to address the safety spot next to Delmas. Even if they try Chris Greenwood at safety, he'll be a project much like Spievey was. And despite the fact that Amari was doing OK at the beginning of the season last year, his failure to perform well when Delmas got hurt is testimony to how much he relied on others to cover his mistakes. Spievey is a backup, at best. He MUST be replaced by a capable safety. The Lions had a shot at drafting possible replacements that were at least familiar with playing the position, but instead chose to go in a different direction. So be it. But teams are going to find a way to expose that one weak safety if it doesn't get fixed.


This is what scares me. When teams gameplan each week for us, its no secret that Spievey is a weakness, and he is one of the guys they will pick on, much like Levy.

_________________
April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.


Lionbacker2 Fantasy Champion 2011


May 4th, 2012, 8:06 pm
Profile
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)
User avatar

Joined: August 24th, 2010, 9:54 pm
Posts: 2269
Post Re: Lions: One Big Question
Oh, and for the record, we would've won that GB game had Titus's touchdown been ruled a touchdown. Good thing we got to the playoffs anyways or that would've been 'completing the process' all over again.

_________________
Driver of the Jim Caldwell bandwagon. Climb aboard.


May 4th, 2012, 9:48 pm
Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic   [ 71 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: DayDreamer, Grink, kdsberman, munch107, rao, regularjoe12, yostevo and 8 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by STSoftware.