View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently August 21st, 2014, 8:17 am

Reply to topic  [ 35 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
 2013 draft. Looking ahead. 
RIP Killer

Post Re: 2013 draft. Looking ahead.
njroar wrote:
BillySims wrote:
Quote:
WR in the 2nd round, however, was most certainly not a need.

The key part of that statement is bolded for you now.

I did not say that we don't need a WR. But, we did not need a 2nd round WR. Especially one that I think will just get stashed on IR this year. I do not see how, if he will not be ready to work out until mid season, how a rookie WR can help this team this year? It's just not going to happen.

Where are you seeing mid season? He's already been working out. ACL's aren't the long-term injury that they used to be. Even Suggs is planning on being ready by October and he just injured his.

As for how a rookie WR can help... Broyles has what Young had. Hands. Most receivers struggle with Pro routes, but that is something that is coached. You don't coach hands. Either you have it or you don't. How many times did we complain about drops? How many times did we complain that no one is taking attention from CJ? CJ will always draw attention, so you place receivers on the field that will hurt you for blanketing CJ. Davies and Stovall didn't hurt anyone. Most are looking at that 4th WR or even 3rd WR slot as a luxury, but in Linehans offense, those are on the field so often, you can't just overlook them.

Well, a guy running a 4.57 forty who is just months removed from the ACL tear doesn't appear to be a guy who won't be ready to work out until mid-season. I don't know where you got that from, but it's flat out wrong. What was said is that Broyles likely won't be able to do full workouts until just before pre-season starts. He should be fully ready to go by the time the regular season begins.

And by the way, I thought Suggs injured his Achille's, not his ACL?

May 5th, 2012, 4:11 pm
Veteran General Manager

m2karateman wrote:
And by the way, I thought Suggs injured his Achille's, not his ACL?

The media has reported both. But, from what I have gathered, it is his Achille's.

Just goes to show how a lot of the media doesn't know it's rectum from it's ACL.

May 5th, 2012, 8:29 pm
Color Commentator - John Madden

Broyles is able to get off the line quickly but his ability to beat press man will be the determining factor as to how his career goes. I like his route running and ability to get open underneath. If this is what he brings to the table, then it'll probably reduce the use of Tony Scheffler in the slot (that 4th guy lining up off the line).

May 9th, 2012, 9:49 am
RIP Killer

Wayne Fontes wrote:
Broyles is able to get off the line quickly but his ability to beat press man will be the determining factor as to how his career goes. I like his route running and ability to get open underneath. If this is what he brings to the table, then it'll probably reduce the use of Tony Scheffler in the slot (that 4th guy lining up off the line).

The Lions like to use motion with their slot guy quite a bit to determine coverage, so while I agree that Broyles would have to be able to fight through the press coverage, I don't see that as much of an issue. With motion, combined with the fact that most slot receivers are covered by nickel and dime corners, who are usually not that physical, I think he'll be fine.

May 9th, 2012, 11:03 am
Play by Play Announcer - Al Michaels

m2karateman wrote:
Wayne Fontes wrote:

The Lions like to use motion with their slot guy quite a bit to determine coverage, so while I agree that Broyles would have to be able to fight through the press coverage, I don't see that as much of an issue. With motion, combined with the fact that most slot receivers are covered by nickel and dime corners, who are usually not that physical, I think he'll be fine.

The slot WR isn't usually on the line of scrimmage anyway, so the DB can't press him. The slot WR typically has enough space to burst and make a move before reaching the line of scrimmage.

May 9th, 2012, 1:25 pm
Reply to topic   [ 35 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3