View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently October 21st, 2014, 12:03 am

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
 Punters and Kickers. 
Hall of Fame Player

Post Punters and Kickers.
I suggested a few years back that NFL teams might start using Punters that can kick also and vice versa, due to salary cap restraints. Most people agreed that it would not ever happen.

But, I think the day is quickly approaching where that idea is going to become a reality.

In the near future, Kickoffs are likely to become a thing of the past. I bet they just replace the kickoff with a punt. The equivalent to an onsides kick would be that the punt would be considered a 4th and 10 and you are going for it on 4th down.

Add in salary cap space to that, and wouldn't it make sense for teams to start using a punter who can kick FG's? They would then have an extra roster spot for a position player.

Of course, I wouldn't want it to happen until Jason Hanson retires. LOL.

May 6th, 2012, 3:18 pm
Rookie Player of the Year

Post Re: Punters and Kickers.
Even if the kickoff goes away, smart teams will still use ST to help them win football games. That includes having a kicker who can consisntently hit 50+ yarders, and a punter who can pin the other team within their 5 yd line--two very different skill sets.

If anything, I think you'll see the dedicated KR/PR disappear first.

May 6th, 2012, 6:13 pm
League MVP

Quote:
I suggested a few years back that NFL teams might start using Punters that can kick also and vice versa, due to salary cap restraints. Most people agreed that it would not ever happen.

But, I think the day is quickly approaching where that idea is going to become a reality.

where are you coming up with this thought? where have you seen teams using a single player to cover kicks and punts? As far as I know all the NFL teams carried a punter and a kicker. Not too long ago some teams also had two place kickers - one that would kickoff and kick long field goals and another that would kick shorter FGs and PATs. Regardless of that kickers and punters are not getting paid a lot of money (relatively) anyway so salary cap concerns likely wont play a role in that. You could maybe argue that they might try it to squeeze an extra player on the roster but recent history has shown that placekickers placekick better than punters and punters punt better than placekickers. Both are very important in the course of a game and teams are not likely to sacrifice a player that could make the difference in close games.

Quote:
In the near future, Kickoffs are likely to become a thing of the past. I bet they just replace the kickoff with a punt.

I d take that bet. The NFL is trying to minimize kickoff returns because they are concerned about injuries. They banned certain wedge blocking techniques on the KO and they moved the kickoff location so that there would be more touchbacks. Replacing the kickoff with a punt does not seem logical, a punt can still be returned and the injury potential is likely the same. A punt probably has more injury potential than a kickoff because of the shorter distance and greater hang time. What I have heard though is that perhaps the kickoff would be eliminated and replaced with automatic starting possession at the 20 or 25 yard line after a score instead of a kickoff. Of couse, you would still have FGs/PATs and thus a need for placekickers.

Quote:
The equivalent to an onsides kick would be that the punt would be considered a 4th and 10 and you are going for it on 4th down.

Are you suggesting that if the kickoff were to be eliminated that teams could try to retain possession similar to an onside kick by converting an offensive play? Not a bad idea but the onside kick is a pretty exciting play.

Quote:
Add in salary cap space to that, and wouldn't it make sense for teams to start using a punter who can kick FG's? They would then have an extra roster spot for a position player.

Of course, I wouldn't want it to happen until Jason Hanson retires. LOL.

it only makes sense if the punter can kick FGs as well as placekickers. so far these players dont exist. even the lions used ndamukong suh as there backup kicker, not a punter. just bc both positions kick the football with there feet does not mean the players are interchangeable. they are similar but separate skill sets at the NFL level.

May 7th, 2012, 9:34 am
RIP Killer

in an age when every position becomes more and more specialized, leave it to Billy to try to make positions go in the opposite direction.

May 7th, 2012, 9:58 am
Profile WWW
Rookie Player of the Year

Here you go Billy:

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/highschoo ... 06050.html

May 7th, 2012, 10:22 am
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]