View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently July 24th, 2014, 12:35 am

Reply to topic  [ 71 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Lions: One Big Question 

Did the Detroit Lions do enough to address their secondary?
Yes. I'm satisfied. 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Yes. But I'm only a little concerned. 31%  31%  [ 8 ]
No. It's still the biggest weakness. 54%  54%  [ 14 ]
No. And I'll be disappointed if Mayhew doesn't fix it asap. 15%  15%  [ 4 ]
Total votes : 26

Lions: One Big Question 
Varsity Benchwarmer

Post Re: Lions: One Big Question
Ferris wrote:
Stallion wrote:
The lions had three choices this off season. They could reach for defensive backs in the draft, over pay for defensive backs in free agency, or try to find some good value in both and hope for the best. They choice the latter of these options which is also the wisest choice given the circumstances.

Kudos for staying on topic...

I think this is the absolute best way to look at it and IMHO I think you nailed it. The Lions are following the blueprint to building a dynasty.

1. Get lucky as hell and draft a franchise QB. Check
2. Draft BPA. You can argue some here, Fairley and Reiff did fall into our laps. Maybe Prince Amukamara and DeCastro would've been better? Mikel Leshoure and Ryan Broyles are wait and see's atm.
3. Find the gems in FA. Eric Wright, Bobby Carpenter, Shaun Hill, Lawrence Jackson, Stefon Logan, Jacob Lacey??, etc.
4. Keep your own players!

The Lions are building the right way, and I can't argue with the way they are building. It's looking better and better.

=D> =D> =D> couldnt agree more. Have I wanted secondary/o-line help for decades????? YES!!! But I trust the leo's front office these days. Wish in 1 hand and crap in another and see witch gets filled first :-#

May 8th, 2012, 7:55 am
Veteran General Manager

The Legend wrote:
Quote:
You are taking an apple and comparing it to the orange I said I was right about.

I was right that our CB's suck.

Serious question, I am not making fun of you or anything: But, do you suffer from ADD? I need to know so that I will know how to respond to you in the future.

really? i think somebody ought to lock this thread before Billy digs his hole any deeper.

Well, if you had paid enough attention to read what I was saying, I wouldn't have had to ask that question now would I ?

May 9th, 2012, 11:08 am
Veteran General Manager

LionFan57 wrote:
The Legend wrote:
Quote:
You are taking an apple and comparing it to the orange I said I was right about.

I was right that our CB's suck.

Serious question, I am not making fun of you or anything: But, do you suffer from ADD? I need to know so that I will know how to respond to you in the future.

really? i think somebody ought to lock this thread before Billy digs his hole any deeper.

Billy, I've come to the conclusion about your nearly 5600 posts. I'm guessing that about 25% of them are posts about stuff; and the remaining 75% are posts defending the things you said in the original post.

We're now in jeopardy of yet another perfectly good discussion thread getting locked because of something you said.

You are single handledly devaluing cyber space!

No. It wasn't that long ago on this site, that someone could state an opinion without someone questioning whether or not you smoke dope.

So, I have a lot of posts. I have been coming to this site for a very long time now. When someone attacks me, your darn right, I'm going to defend my position. If that bothers you, don't read my posts. Simple as that. Isn't there an ignore feature?

I have said nothing to get this thread locked. So you can get your panties unbunched. I asked a perfectly valid question.

May 9th, 2012, 11:17 am
Veteran General Manager

m2karateman wrote:
Billy, name one NFL team that have fives quality cornerbacks and four quality safeties on their roster. You can't, it doesn't exist. Rarely do teams have three good corners. And the Lions may not have the best secondary in the NFL, but last season they didn't have the worst.
Basically, every team can improve. However, each team is built differently with different priorities at different positions. The Lions obviously value the D-line over the secondary. Their philosophy is that the pass rush improves the secondary, not the other way around.
And LF57 is right. Most of your posts are spent defending the things you say against multiple people, not just one. So when you say I don't understand something, the fact that others didn't understand means YOU didn't argue your point effectively, not me.
You want to offer your opinions and state your case, that's fine. But don't don't get upset when numerous people don't understand exactly what you're saying. You are the common denominator in that equation.

Problem is, I stated what I was saying perfectly clear. It couldn't have been any clearer. Do I have to resort to drawing pictures also? It really helps when people take the time to read what is said and make sure they know what they are replying to before they post. I posted a fact and was ridiculed for it by people that didn't take the time to make sure they weren't posting in ignorance. And I'm the problem?

May 9th, 2012, 11:24 am
Veteran General Manager

m2karateman wrote:
Billy, name one NFL team that have fives quality cornerbacks and four quality safeties on their roster. You can't, it doesn't exist. Rarely do teams have three good corners. And the Lions may not have the best secondary in the NFL, but last season they didn't have the worst.
Basically, every team can improve. However, each team is built differently with different priorities at different positions. The Lions obviously value the D-line over the secondary. Their philosophy is that the pass rush improves the secondary, not the other way around.
And LF57 is right. Most of your posts are spent defending the things you say against multiple people, not just one. So when you say I don't understand something, the fact that others didn't understand means YOU didn't argue your point effectively, not me.
You want to offer your opinions and state your case, that's fine. But don't don't get upset when numerous people don't understand exactly what you're saying. You are the common denominator in that equation.

Oh. And P.S.

I have a lot of posts because when I get a chance to get online, I am usually catching up. I reply to a lot of post with my own comments both pro and con. Forgive me. I kind of thought that was what a message board was for. Silly me.

May 9th, 2012, 11:28 am
Veteran General Manager

conversion02 wrote:
Unfortunately, we have others around here who have more than 75% of their posts attacking others or trying to defend ridiculous comments

Well, no-one has got to attack anyone and then there would be no need for anyone to defend themselves.

May 9th, 2012, 11:31 am
Veteran General Manager

Stallion wrote:
The lions had three choices this off season. They could reach for defensive backs in the draft, over pay for defensive backs in free agency, or try to find some good value in both and hope for the best. They choice the latter of these options which is also the wisest choice given the circumstances.

I completely disagree with the notion that they would have to reach for a DB in the draft.
There were a few CB's in the 2nd round that were good---->great value. Jenkins was still there at the top of the second round and while he is a risk, he is a risk that was well worth taking. And he was also worth trading up for.

May 9th, 2012, 11:38 am
Veteran General Manager

Ferris wrote:
Stallion wrote:

Kudos for staying on topic...

I think this is the absolute best way to look at it and IMHO I think you nailed it. The Lions are following the blueprint to building a dynasty.

1. Get lucky as hell and draft a franchise QB. Check
2. Draft BPA. You can argue some here, Fairley and Reiff did fall into our laps. Maybe Prince Amukamara and DeCastro would've been better? Mikel Leshoure and Ryan Broyles are wait and see's atm.
3. Find the gems in FA. Eric Wright, Bobby Carpenter, Shaun Hill, Lawrence Jackson, Stefon Logan, Jacob Lacey??, etc.
4. Keep your own players!

The Lions are building the right way, and I can't argue with the way they are building. It's looking better and better.

Overall, I agree with this. But, I don't think Broyles was either BPA or a 2nd round need. He may work out and be a good WR. But I seriously doubt he will ever be more than the #3 WR for us. Given that we have Calvin and Titus. But, just because he becomes a good WR ( if he does), it doesn't mean that he was the pick that should have been made there. WR was a luxury pick. The kind of pick you make when you don't have any holes.

But, In a general sense, I agree with you.

May 9th, 2012, 11:47 am
Modmin Dude

BillySims wrote:
Isn't there an ignore feature?
Yes there is.

May 9th, 2012, 11:48 am
RIP Killer

BillySims wrote:
Stallion wrote:

I completely disagree with the notion that they would have to reach for a DB in the draft.
There were a few CB's in the 2nd round that were good---->great value. Jenkins was still there at the top of the second round and while he is a risk, he is a risk that was well worth taking. And he was also worth trading up for.

And how do you KNOW that the Lions didn't attempt to move up? You speak as if the Lions have made no attempts to upgrade their secondary. Would I like to see it addressed? Absolutely. But they can't move up unless some other team is willing to move down. And perhaps, just perhaps, the Lions felt that although Jenkins skill is excellent, his other issues can possibly keep him off the field, in which they will have wasted more than just one pick.

We don't have the answers. But what I do know is that I don't see Mayhew or Schwartz as ones that will sit on their hands and do nothing. They've made their attempts. Refusing to overpay to trade up is not a bad thing. Arizona wanted too much for the Lions to get Patrick Peterson last year. This year, teams such as NY Jets, Seattle and St. Louis were unwilling to move down to where the Lions were for what Detroit was offering. You can't put a gun to their head and make them do it. Detroit tried to move ahead of the Bengals to get Kirkpatrick. It just didn't happen for them.

And in regards to free agency, what great CB should the Lions have made a play for? And how much should they have been willing to pay him? And how would that fit under the cap given their current situation?

Offer some answers, instead of just blindly complaining about it without taking into account everything behind it.

May 9th, 2012, 12:53 pm
QB Coach

m2karateman wrote:
BillySims wrote:
Stallion wrote:

And how do you KNOW that the Lions didn't attempt to move up? You speak as if the Lions have made no attempts to upgrade their secondary. Would I like to see it addressed? Absolutely. But they can't move up unless some other team is willing to move down. And perhaps, just perhaps, the Lions felt that although Jenkins skill is excellent, his other issues can possibly keep him off the field, in which they will have wasted more than just one pick.

We don't have the answers. But what I do know is that I don't see Mayhew or Schwartz as ones that will sit on their hands and do nothing. They've made their attempts. Refusing to overpay to trade up is not a bad thing. Arizona wanted too much for the Lions to get Patrick Peterson last year. This year, teams such as NY Jets, Seattle and St. Louis were unwilling to move down to where the Lions were for what Detroit was offering. You can't put a gun to their head and make them do it. Detroit tried to move ahead of the Bengals to get Kirkpatrick. It just didn't happen for them.

And in regards to free agency, what great CB should the Lions have made a play for? And how much should they have been willing to pay him? And how would that fit under the cap given their current situation?

Offer some answers, instead of just blindly complaining about it without taking into account everything behind it.

=D>

http://www.11points.com/Books/11_Things ... _Do_Anyway

LET'S GO DUKE!

If you don't like gay marriage, don't get one.

May 9th, 2012, 1:00 pm
Veteran General Manager

m2karateman wrote:
BillySims wrote:
Stallion wrote:

I didn't say anything about any FA CB's. That's why it was so important to do whatever it took to get 1 in the draft. Everyone has a price. The Lions just wouldn't meet it. 1 starting quality CB, added to what we already have in place, and I tell you, we are a Super Bowl Contender. Without that CB, we are nothing more than a pretender.

And don't tell me people wouldn't trade down. Dallas did what it took to get a CB. I know. It would have taken a heck of a lot more for us to get Claiborne. But, there were 4 or 5 CB's that are starting quality that were in this draft. And we failed to do what it took to get 1 of them. Instead, we settled for also rans and nickle backs. We MIGHT get lucky and find a gem in one of them. But, probability is that we didn't.

May 9th, 2012, 2:36 pm
RIP Killer

BillySims wrote:
m2karateman wrote:
BillySims wrote:
Stallion wrote:

I didn't say anything about any FA CB's. That's why it was so important to do whatever it took to get 1 in the draft. Everyone has a price. The Lions just wouldn't meet it. 1 starting quality CB, added to what we already have in place, and I tell you, we are a Super Bowl Contender. Without that CB, we are nothing more than a pretender.

Once again Billy, you need to go look at who started at CB for the last couple of SB champs. I can tell you it wasn't Nnamdi Asomugha and Asante Samuel who didn't even make it to the playoffs.

I guess the Giants did win the SB after selecting Prince in the first round so perhaps you are onto something. Then again, he made very little impact as a rookie as the starters were Corey Webster and Aaron Ross (now on the Jags) - not a very scary CB duo there.

The Pack, well they lost Woodson early in there win and had two UFA corners - Tramon Williams and Sam Shields (who also got hurt) as their corners.

The Saints, well they had Jabari Greer (another UFA corner) and Tracy Porter (now with the Broncos) as their starters. The year before the Steelers had Ike Taylor and Bryant McFadden. The Giants won the year before that with Webster (again) and Sam Madison.

Funny how few first round corners are in the mix (in fact, just one - Aaron Ross) won the Lombardi Trophy. While later picks and a bunch of undrafted players made their team not only a contender - but World Champion! I'm glad Mayhew, a former World Champion starting corner and 10th round draft pick - understands this when the fan base doesn't seem to get it.

May 9th, 2012, 3:04 pm
Profile WWW
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

I want to know if the Lions tried to get Richard Marshall or if he was set on Miami? He was exactly what the Lions were looking for in a CB and signed a reasonable contract (3years $16 million, $6 million guaranteed) for his level of play. As far as the Lions not trading up for a CB this year I'm not upset, 2013 looks like he has the potential to be a stronger class if some of the Juniors have strong seasons and declare for the draft.

May 9th, 2012, 3:14 pm
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

The same thing can be said for just about any position. Everybody always want a Top 5 LT and how many highly drafted LTs have won Super Bowls lately?

May 9th, 2012, 3:19 pm
Reply to topic   [ 71 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next