View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently November 23rd, 2014, 6:43 pm

Reply to topic  [ 40 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
 Jim Schwartz #1 on Head Coach Power rankings. 
RIP Killer

Post Re: Jim Schwartz #1 on Head Coach Power rankings.
regularjoe12 wrote:
you are all over the place...Harbs can show emotion and get out of control but is the epitomy of discapline? but not swartz....the guy benches EVERYONE who doesn't perform right, but because he doesn't fire a guy mid season he's not big on discapline?

you are at least going to have to stop play homer and be consistant or this convo is going nowhere.

both coaches have shown signs of overeacting, but one lacks discapline and the other doesn't......yeah no. you cant have it both ways man.

face it, you dont have a leg to stand on with your accusations of Swartz...him and Harbaugh are of the same mold. thats why they clashed. if you cant see that, well you wouldn't be the first who couldn't remove the team colored glasses.

You are being way unfair, and I'm calling foul. He never said Harbaugh was the epitome of anything. He even criticized Harbaugh for his little dance immediately after the clock ticked down in the game.

So why don't you cool down joe, and face the fact that you are putting words in someones mouth, and you are just getting amped because the guy is a 49ers fan.

May 10th, 2012, 4:50 pm
ST Coordinator – Danny Crossman

no im not amped at all. And I never defended swartz for his outlandish reaction either.

i just dont see how one can be the master of discapline (my words...but his intent...the example of Edwards was his) and swartz is the polar oposite.

I dont think I said anything offensive....

May 10th, 2012, 4:59 pm
Varsity Captain

regularjoe12 wrote:
i just dont see how one can be the master of discapline (my words...but his intent...the example of Edwards was his) and swartz is the polar oposite.

Not what I said and not my intent. You're reading something that's not there and calling me out for it. I think both coaches have a lot of improvements to make in their own personalities and behaviors. Jubiliation vs Unchecked Aggression = two types of discipline. It's the different side of the same coin, there is no real difference overall. Both coaches need to make improvements imo.

Can we end this now? ](*,)

May 11th, 2012, 7:31 am
ST Coordinator – Danny Crossman

49ers wrote:
regularjoe12 wrote:

Not what I said and not my intent. You're reading something that's not there and calling me out for it. I think both coaches have a lot of improvements to make in their own personalities and behaviors. Jubiliation vs Unchecked Aggression = two types of discipline. It's the different side of the same coin, there is no real difference overall. Both coaches need to make improvements imo.

Can we end this now? ](*,)

ok thats kinda been my point all along. Those two guys are 2 arms to the same body, cut from the same cloth. I just didnt get how you can knock one and not the other. That goes for both 9er fans and Lions fans.

the only excuse i give Lions fans is jelousy....lotta guys think he should be coachin in the big house.

Sorry If i missunderstood you but with a claim like :
Quote:
that he doesn't care about discipline

you can certainly see how that can happen.

May 11th, 2012, 12:50 pm
All State

While I don't think Schwartz should be No. 1, I think he deserves a lot of respect for what he and Mayhew have done with THE WORST TEAM IN LEAGUE HISTORY in 3 short years. 0-16 to 10-6 is a major accomplishment, and I attribute a lot of that to both Schwartz and the "Don't take any isht" attitude of players like KVB and Suh. 3 years ago the Lions were the joke of the league. Whether it was for good reasons or not, other teams RESPECT Detroit for what they are capable of as a team.

Are they a bit hot-headed? Sure, but that translates to backing their teammates and holding their own out on the field too. I'd rather have an overly aggressive Defense than a bunch of P***ies that couldn't defend the ball better then a wet paper bag. Schwartz can't control the actions of the players out on the field no matter what he does. Do they need better discipline? ABSOLUTELY I'm not about to deny that and I agree with it too. However, I will not, for a second, think that the kind of aggressive play they have displayed in the last 2 years is a bad thing.

3 years ago they were "a bunch of F***in losers" in everyone's eyes. Now, they are a team with a lot of passion and fight, good or bad. You play Detroit, you're liable to get smacked upside the head. That's the kind of attitude I want my favorite team to have, and I wouldn't have it any other way.

I also want to say that the worst thing the organization did over the Millen years was turn the coaching staff into a revolving door. I may not always agree with what Schwartz, Cunningham, and Linehan call for plays on the field or their scheme, but I think a MAJOR part of the Lions turn around as an organization has been the continuity of the current staff. Players know the system now and know their responsibilities. As much as I hate these "Best Player Available" drafts too, I can appreciate what that will do for the team in the run. 2012, or 13, or even 15 may not be the Lion's year, but I am honestly starting to think that it WILL BE Super Bowl time at some point in Stafford and Calvin Johnson's career in Detroit. Hope is something Lion's fans have been missing for a long time, and we have Schwartz and co. to thank for that optimism again.

May 12th, 2012, 3:21 am
RIP Killer

DisgruntledFan wrote:
While I don't think Schwartz should be No. 1, I think he deserves a lot of respect for what he and Mayhew have done with THE WORST TEAM IN LEAGUE HISTORY in 3 short years. 0-16 to 10-6 is a major accomplishment, and I attribute a lot of that to both Schwartz and the "Don't take any isht" attitude of players like KVB and Suh. 3 years ago the Lions were the joke of the league. Whether it was for good reasons or not, other teams RESPECT Detroit for what they are capable of as a team.

Are they a bit hot-headed? Sure, but that translates to backing their teammates and holding their own out on the field too. I'd rather have an overly aggressive Defense than a bunch of P***ies that couldn't defend the ball better then a wet paper bag. Schwartz can't control the actions of the players out on the field no matter what he does. Do they need better discipline? ABSOLUTELY I'm not about to deny that and I agree with it too. However, I will not, for a second, think that the kind of aggressive play they have displayed in the last 2 years is a bad thing.

3 years ago they were "a bunch of F***in losers" in everyone's eyes. Now, they are a team with a lot of passion and fight, good or bad. You play Detroit, you're liable to get smacked upside the head. That's the kind of attitude I want my favorite team to have, and I wouldn't have it any other way.

I also want to say that the worst thing the organization did over the Millen years was turn the coaching staff into a revolving door. I may not always agree with what Schwartz, Cunningham, and Linehan call for plays on the field or their scheme, but I think a MAJOR part of the Lions turn around as an organization has been the continuity of the current staff. Players know the system now and know their responsibilities. As much as I hate these "Best Player Available" drafts too, I can appreciate what that will do for the team in the run. 2012, or 13, or even 15 may not be the Lion's year, but I am honestly starting to think that it WILL BE Super Bowl time at some point in Stafford and Calvin Johnson's career in Detroit. Hope is something Lion's fans have been missing for a long time, and we have Schwartz and co. to thank for that optimism again.

=D>

May 12th, 2012, 8:05 am
Varsity Captain

DisgruntledFan wrote:

Yup. Pretty much the best post in the thread. Great summary and perspective.

May 13th, 2012, 8:27 am
Hall of Fame Player

DisgruntledFan wrote:

I agree! Good stuff!!

May 14th, 2012, 6:28 am
Profile WWW
1st Round Pick

Location: Cloudy Town, Minnesota. 763.18 miles from Ford Field
Schwartz at best is 5..

Follow me on Twitter: @W2G4U

May 14th, 2012, 3:28 pm
Profile WWW
Hall of Fame Player

Post Jim Schwartz contract: Waiting and waiting
This seems like a good place to put this.

ESPN.com wrote:
Jim Schwartz contract: Waiting and waiting

May, 14, 2012 / 5:55 PM ET
By Kevin Seifert | ESPN.com

In sifting through the mountains of rookie camp coverage over the weekend, I stumbled upon this video from the Detroit Lions' reporting team of Tim Twentyman and Mike O'Hara. Toward the end, the pair addressed an issue that brought up two interesting questions:

1.Is there anything to read into the fact that Lions coach Jim Schwartz hasn't yet signed a long-promised contract extension?

2.If not, at what point is it significant that Schwartz's contract, at least of this moment, is set to expire after this season, or in about 10 months?

From the top, we should point out that coaching contracts are among the best-kept secrets in the NFL. There is no salary cap for coaches, nor is there a union, so teams don't have to file the final documents with many outside entities. News releases are typically issued to announce a new deal, although they often don't include the duration and never mention dollar figures.

Schwartz reiterated over the weekend that he won't talk about his contract, nor will he say if he would confirm a deal if it had happened. Regardless, it's probably safe to assume the Lions don't yet have a final agreement with Schwartz. That doesn't really matter at the moment, and to me it won't be an issue until the first day of training camp -- the symbolic start of a team's season.

There is every reason to think the sides will come to an agreement. If you judge coaches by playoff appearances, Schwartz is the Lions' best coach in more than a decade. And unless Schwartz has previously undisclosed designs on some sort of dual general manager/coaching job that wouldn't be available in Detroit, there is every reason to think he wants to stay put.

Those factors suggest a friendly negotiation that will wrap up in due time. But if Schwartz and the Lions report to training camp in late July to begin earnest preparations for the 2012 season without a resolution, then there is reason to start asking fair and legitimate questions about the future.

For what it's worth, the past three coaching contract extensions in the NFC North all came at least 11 months before the deal's expiration.

With his deal set to expire after the 2011 season, Bears coach Lovie Smith signed a two-year extension in February 2011. Green Bay Packers coach Mike McCarthy's five-year extension came in March 2011; his contract was scheduled to expire after the 2012 season. And in November 2009, former Minnesota Vikings coach Brad Childress received an extension about 13 months before his deal was set to expire.

I agree with the sentiment of this article; this is probably not a big deal.

May 15th, 2012, 5:53 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 40 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3