View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently October 23rd, 2014, 10:37 am

Reply to topic  [ 95 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Nick Fairley Busted for Pot 
Modmin Dude

Post Re: Nick Fairley Busted for Pot
m2karateman wrote:
First off, rarely do I defend any professional athlete for drug use. When Culbreath got busted, people were calling for him to be released and I said that it's no big deal because most NFL players smoke weed. I know this. It still doesn't make it right. And for the record, I have not said that LeShoure or Fairley should be released because of these recent events.

However, in all three cases, there is cause for concern. And especially so for LeShoure, who apparently not only didn't learn his lesson the first time, but also seems to not have taken care of himself in the off-season.

I could care less if every member of all the other 31 teams in the NFL smoke pot on an hourly basis. I don't care if they are flying it in by the ton from all over the world so they can sit at home and throw kilos of it into their fireplace and get high constantly. THEY AREN'T A MEMBER OF THE DETROIT LIONS! My reason for criticizing these guys, and for calling them out is based solely on who they currently have a contract with.

If a player from another teams gets busted for pot and released, do you get upset about it?
Agreed that just because other players do it doesn't make it right.

Does any player, regardless of what team they play for, effect me? No.

No where have I said that we can't or shouldn't criticize these, or any, players. What I am trying to say is let's not go off the deep end and jump to conclusions. That is all.

April 4th, 2012, 4:21 pm
Modmin Dude

wjb21ndtown wrote:
TheRealWags wrote:
wjb21ndtown wrote:
You really can't tell the difference between a civil infraction or a misdemeanor? You DON'T think he should be punished for it, should he then not be punished for murder? Stupid argument, if you ask me... The fact of the matter is that there IS a "level of illegal activity" and its set fourth by the law. That's why speeding is a civil infraction punishable by a fine not greater than $250, and possessing marijuana is a misdemeanor punishable by a prison sentence not greater than 1 year, and murder is a felony punishable by life in prison. It's not that "everyone" does illegal stuff and "we" (non-law breakers) have to feel like we're abiding by the rules when no one does, it's that THE LAW ITSELF grades these actions and some are in fact worse than others.

I agree that a large percentage of NFL (and NBA) players use cannibus, but that doesn't make it right.
Just for argument's sake, check out what I found about Oregon's speeding laws (where I believe Suh was sited):
Quote:
Speeding Laws

A driver in Oregon is in violation of the basic speeding rule if they drive on a highway that exceeds what's posted or what's necessary in the event of weather, traffic or lack of visibility. Violation of this law is a Class B felony in Oregon.

Overall, if you go up to ten miles over the speed limit, it's a Class D felony. Up to 20 miles over the limit is a Class C felony, up to 30 miles over the limit a Class B felony and speeding more than 30 miles over the limit is a Class A felony. A Class A felony happens sooner if the speed limit is 65 mph on a highway and you go 20 miles over that limit. If you exceed 100 mph, you may get a $1,000 fine and suspension of driving privileges up to 90 days.

Read more: Oregon Traffic Laws | eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/list_7455448_oregon ... z1r6CE26lJ
Granted, in your jurisdiction it may be a civil infraction, but apparently in Oregon its a felony. Looks like Suh did in fact commit a felony. So, again, should he be dropped like you're all wanting to do with Fairely & LeShoure? Consistency.

and btw, there is no such thing as a "non-law breaker". There are so many laws on the books it is virtually impossible for someone to go an entire day without breaking at least one of them; as a lawyer, I think you know that.

Uhmmm no... You're wrong... Even reckless driving in Oregon is just a "Class A MISDEMEANOR."
http://www.myoregondefenselawyer.com/cr ... s-driving/

Drug possession is a class "class B felony," even in Oregon.
http://www.myoregondefenselawyer.com/cr ... ossession/

I don't know where "e-how" allegedly got their information from, but that was flat out ridiculous.

My mistake. Should've known to not trust e-how :oops:

April 4th, 2012, 4:25 pm
TheRealWags wrote:
Uhmmm no... You're wrong... Even reckless driving in Oregon is just a "Class A MISDEMEANOR."
http://www.myoregondefenselawyer.com/cr ... s-driving/

Drug possession is a class "class B felony," even in Oregon.
http://www.myoregondefenselawyer.com/cr ... ossession/

I don't know where "e-how" allegedly got their information from, but that was flat out ridiculous.

My mistake. Should've known to not trust e-how :oops:[/quote]

Hahaha... No big deal... But c'mon... If speeding were a felony the whole damn state would be locked up...

"Lies are so easy to believe, when they're exactly what you want to see..."

April 4th, 2012, 4:30 pm
Stadium Announcer

its not like they got arrested for assult armed robbery or anything like that...they'll sit 4 games get like a 30k fine (which to them is pennys) do some community service probation or something and we'll have em back in no time. not saying its ok what they did but to me mary jane is no more harmful than beer the law needs to be changed

Anyway...I'm glad I'm a michigan state fan cause it always comes in threes and we already got our third with nix...for the rest of ya...keep waiting its gonna happen.

Bottom line...this is not yhe first time we've seen this happen and there have been many athletes come back from drug charges and have a great career....lets just hope this is all their sophmore slump is gonna be :)

April 4th, 2012, 8:52 pm
Team MVP

bishop14772 wrote:
Anyway...I'm glad I'm a michigan state fan cause it always comes in threes and we already got our third with nix...for the rest of ya...keep waiting its gonna happen.

GO GREEN!

April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.

Lionbacker2 Fantasy Champion 2011

April 4th, 2012, 8:58 pm
RIP Killer

http://www.freep.com/article/20120514/S ... 9/sports01

freep wrote:
Lions' Nick Fairley has arraignment postponed

Nick Fairley's arraignment on a misdemeanor marijuana-possession charge will be postponed to give Fairley's attorney more time to review the case, Mobile, Ala., assistant city attorney David Wible said.

The Detroit Lions defensive tackle was scheduled to appear in a Mobile court today. A new date for his hearing was not immediately known.

A first-round pick by the Lions last April, Fairley was arrested April 3, after police found a small amount of marijuana in his vehicle during a traffic stop.

Fairley is one of three Lions who've run afoul of the law in marijuana-related incidents this off-season. Offensive tackle Johnny Culbreath was arrested in a South Carolina hotel after he was found with marijuana in January, and running back Mikel Leshoure was cited twice on possession charges in a month's span in February and March.

All three players, members of the Lions' 2011 draft class, face possible suspensions from the NFL.

May 14th, 2012, 11:50 am
Profile WWW
Hall of Fame Player

His Lawyer needed more time? Did Fairely just hire him a week ago or something?

May 14th, 2012, 10:12 pm
BillySims wrote:
His Lawyer needed more time? Did Fairely just hire him a week ago or something?

He and the prosecutor may be quibbling over a plea agreement. It's done all the time. Also, I'm guessing Fairly's attorney is a lot better than LeShoure's, and I'm guessing Fairly's atty wants to see what the league is going to do to LeShoure before pleading him out.

May 14th, 2012, 10:49 pm
QB Coach

He was just arrested for DUI and evading police. Tell me again why we didn't take Amakumara?

May 27th, 2012, 1:57 pm
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

inheritedlionsfan wrote:
He was just arrested for DUI and evading police. Tell me again why we didn't take Amakumara?

because deion sanders told mayhew not to take that short armed cb in the first rd, fairley won the lombardi award, fairley was ready to start right away(injuries to both players were unforseen). at the time, fairley was just the much better value. we still dont know who will be the better NFL player, we just know who the bigger dumb*** is.

May 27th, 2012, 2:48 pm
Rookie Player of the Year

I've never been a fan of the pick and have said as much. I feel like it was wasted on a guy with one good season and serious maturity and work ethic concerns. Well those worries about the last two things are really starting to ring loudly now. Not every concensus top five pick is a steal when they fall in a draft. I think Kerrigan was the guy I was highest on can't remember, but also liked Prince, Quinn, Pouncey, and Jordan.

The guy is a mess and isn't worth anything I would have loved to seen him traded to a team like Carolina for a 2nd plus, now you'd be lucky to get a 4th round pick.

May 27th, 2012, 3:20 pm
Team MVP

He may be a good football player, but he's equally as big of an idiot. I'm pulling my freakin hair out right now. What is wrong with these guys.

April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.

Lionbacker2 Fantasy Champion 2011

May 27th, 2012, 4:56 pm

Not looking like such a steal at 13 anymore... ](*,)

May 27th, 2012, 8:43 pm
Hall of Fame Player

thelomasbrowns wrote:
Not looking like such a steal at 13 anymore... ](*,)

Agreed!!

The Detroit News wrote:
May 27, 2012 at 8:12 pm

Lions' Nick Fairley busted again in Alabama on DUI
By Chris McCosky
The Detroit News

Nick Fairley is also facing a July 31 court date in Mobile for a marijuana-possession charge on April 3. (Mobile County Sheriff's Office)

Allen Park- Nick Fairley maybe shouldn't go home for a while; seems like every time he goes back to Mobile, Ala., he gets arrested.

Television station Fox10 in Mobile reported Sunday that Fairley was arrested around 1 a.m. on suspicion of driving under the influence and attempting to elude police.

"We are aware of the reports and are in the process of gathering more information," said Lions director of media relations Bill Keenist.

According to the report, Alabama state police also ticketed Fairley for reckless driving, no proof of insurance and having an open container.

Fairley posted $1,750 bond and was released around 9 a.m.

Fairley is facing a July 31 court date in Mobile for a marijuana-possession charge on April 3.

From The Detroit News: http://www.detroitnews.com/article/2012 ... z1wAFspSpQ

I'm disgusted by this immature piece of sh!t!! The team just doesn't need this distraction. At this rate he'll be facing a season long suspension before the season starts!

May 28th, 2012, 7:59 am
Profile WWW

The question is now, how do you discipline these guys without throwing away draft picks? Here's hoping Schwartz and co. have a solution.

May 28th, 2012, 8:42 am
Reply to topic   [ 95 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next