View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently April 24th, 2014, 4:50 pm

Reply to topic  [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Lions rookies talk about the fun of knocking an opponent out 
Modmin Dude

Post Lions rookies talk about the fun of knocking an opponent out
PFT wrote:
Lions rookies talk about the fun of knocking an opponent out
Posted by Michael David Smith on May 14, 2012, 11:52 AM EDT

Most NFL players have learned by now that the politically correct thing to say in football is that you never want to hurt an opponent. But a couple of Lions rookies demonstrated at this weekend’s minicamp that they haven’t gotten the memo.

Ronnell Lewis and Travis Lewis aren’t related, but they were teammates at Oklahoma and were both drafted by the Lions this year, and they both have a similar attitude toward the enjoyment they get from laying a good lick on someone when they’re flying down the field on special teams. Travis Lewis says it’s a pleasure watching Ronnell hit.

“Call up his highlights on YouTube on kickoffs and you’ll know why we call him the Hammer,” Travis Lewis told Bob Wojnowski of the Detroit News. “The guy straight out flies around to the ball, and on special teams, he’ll be a demon. He’s a load and he hustles.”

Nothing wrong with that, but some eyebrows will surely be raised in the league office about the glee Travis described in seeing Ronnell knock an opponent out.

“We were playing [Texas] A&M and he knocked someone clearly out on kickoff, but the guy tried to get up. If you’ve ever seen a roach or something with its leg cut off and trying to wobble around — the guy tried to get up and fell. He tried to work his way to the huddle and he fell again. Concussions are never funny, but being on the opposite team and witnessing that, it was pretty hilarious, I’m not gonna lie,” Travis Lewis said.

Ronnell Lewis remembers the hit Travis is thinking about and also enjoyed seeing his opponent hurt.

“I believe I gave the [Texas A&M] guy a concussion,” Ronnell Lewis said. “He fell three times before he got to the sideline. It was kind of cool to see. I just want to bring that to this level, that’s the whole reason I feel I’m here. What’s the best part [of special teams]? If your opponent is still laying down on the ground.”

Those aren’t the kinds of comments the NFL wants to hear, but the reality is that most NFL players are hard-wired to relish the contact of the sport, and many of them are pleased with themselves when they hit an opponent hard enough that he has a hard time getting up. Ronnell Lewis knows the NFL is preaching safety, but he has no intention of changing.

“I’m just gonna continue doing what I’ve been doing,” he said. “I’ll learn from it, that’s all I can do. I’m not gonna let up because of some rule. I’m gonna continue to hit harder.”

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... onent-out/

Thoughts on this?

While I like to see these rooks enthusiasm, one would think there's a better way to vocalize it.

Joe Fauria, MVP!

May 14th, 2012, 5:01 pm
RIP Killer

Post Re: Lions rookies talk about the fun of knocking an opponent
Any one who has played football understands where they are coming from. If you are playing as a nice guy, then you aren't meant to be playing the sport. While I wasn't playing to try and injure anyone, there were times when I was absolutely trying to knock the snot out of someone, for whatever reasons came over me at the time.

I actually did hurt a guy once, and it wasn't my intention to do so. It was just my intention to hit him as hard as I could. I broke a couple of his ribs, if I recall. At least that's what the coaches told me. At the time I didn't think much of it. But once I started thinking about it, I felt bad for the guy because I had suffered bruised ribs before, and anything you did just hurt. It was a clean hit, no spear or anything. He just didn't see me coming.

May 14th, 2012, 6:28 pm
1st Round Pick

Location: Cloudy Town, Minnesota. 763.18 miles from Ford Field
TheRealWags wrote:
While I like to see these rooks enthusiasm, one would think there's a better way to vocalize it.

This. Just show it to them on the field..

Follow me on Twitter: @W2G4U

May 14th, 2012, 7:19 pm
Profile WWW
QB Coach

I'm sorry did I miss something? Since when did we go powder puff? I understand your points and I'm not disrespecting them, but I've had my fill of metrosexual, getting our eyebrows did, clean your nails, sit up straight, don't burp, fart, or act like a man in any way shape of form. Where is our SPINE! We are literally watching the demise of American Football for something, softer, safer, less violent. We might as well sit around and watch golf, while knitting!

I am really getting sick of this society that is doing it's darnedest to take the llebos off of men, and remove our spines! Seriously folks, tell Goodell to take the panties off and let's play some football.

2 Chronicles 10:14, "if my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land."

May 14th, 2012, 8:08 pm
Position Coach

FIND PERCY HARVIN. FIND DEVIN HESTER. FIND RANDALL COBB.

Last edited by Killwill25 on May 14th, 2012, 8:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

May 14th, 2012, 8:08 pm
I'm sick of people not being able to speak the truth due to other people being too sensitive to hear it.

May 14th, 2012, 8:13 pm
RIP Killer

to quote the great LL Cool J, "mama said knock you out" - so doesn't that make it OK?

May 15th, 2012, 12:21 pm
Profile WWW
Mr. Irrelevant

Killwill25 wrote:
FIND PERCY HARVIN. FIND DEVIN HESTER. FIND RANDALL COBB.

Headshot. I like it.

May 15th, 2012, 12:32 pm
QB Coach

Welcome to the new Amerika! We like our men, soft, safe, and predictable!

No more violent sports, hunting, fishing, violent video games. Instead you will be required to watch repeated episodes of "According to Jim" where you will be indoctrinated into what a man looks like. An overweight buffoon, married to the trophy wife who never messes up, has a job, a family, and a bumbling husband.

That is all...........

I agree with WJB on this though, we need to push back on these powderpuff people.

2 Chronicles 10:14, "if my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land."

May 15th, 2012, 3:17 pm
Team MVP

WarEr4Christ wrote:
I'm sorry did I miss something? Since when did we go powder puff? I understand your points and I'm not disrespecting them, but I've had my fill of metrosexual, getting our eyebrows did, clean your nails, sit up straight, don't burp, fart, or act like a man in any way shape of form. Where is our SPINE! We are literally watching the demise of American Football for something, softer, safer, less violent. We might as well sit around and watch golf, while knitting!

I am really getting sick of this society that is doing it's darnedest to take the llebos off of men, and remove our spines! Seriously folks, tell Goodell to take the panties off and let's play some football.

This.

April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.

Lionbacker2 Fantasy Champion 2011

May 15th, 2012, 3:32 pm
QB Coach

This what???

May 16th, 2012, 10:25 am
League MVP

this= he agrees word for word

May 16th, 2012, 10:29 am
Pro Bowl Player

May 16th, 2012, 2:20 pm
Profile WWW
Mr. Irrelevant

It's a tough sport played by tough men. If you can't take the heat, stay out of the kitchen!

May 18th, 2012, 7:27 am
3rd Round Selection

What's tough about enjoying giving someone a concussion?

Stepping on the field, giving out and putting yourself at risk of big hits. That's tough.

Enjoying it when one of your big hits results in a good play? That's cool.

Enjoying it when one of your big hits injures an opponent? I don't get that at all.

I played rugby for nearly ten years. Everytime I stepped on the pitch I knew there was a chance I might get injured (a few times I did) or that I might cause an injury (happened occasionally). The possibility of causing people pain wasn't why I wanted to play the game, though. It was a side effect. I didn't shirk from it, I played the game hard and within the rules and expected my opponents to play the game the same way. I played with some of the toughest people I've met - none of whom wanted to hurt anyone (although they often did).

I don't get why people like this attitude, think it's essential or an important part of the game, or why people think that having an issue with this attitude is "going all powder puff". You don't need this attitude to deliver hard hits in football.

May 18th, 2012, 7:52 am
Reply to topic   [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next