View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently October 30th, 2014, 11:59 am

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
 Kitna goes from quarterback to teacher 
Modmin Dude

Post Kitna goes from quarterback to teacher
PFT wrote:
Kitna goes from quarterback to teacher
Posted by Mike Florio on May 19, 2012, 11:47 PM EDT

After 16 years in the NFL, Jon Kitna is now teaching 16-year-olds.

Kitna, who retired from football after the 2011 season and played for the Seahawks, Bengals, Lions, and Cowboys, has been hired as a teacher and coach at Lincoln High School in Tacoma.

Danny O’Neil of the Seattle Times tells the tale of Kitna’s transition. He’s working for the same high school he attended — and the same school Kitna’s son will attend in the fall.

Kitna has purchased new weight-room equipment for the school, and he supervises the weight-training program.

So why is Kitna not taking it easy after a long football career? “We don’t believe that we’ve been given all we’ve been given to just enjoy a comfortable life,” Kitna said.

It’s a great example of a pro athlete finding a way to make the transition to a normal life; Kitna has embraced a normal life. And, given his background, he could do great things with it.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... o-teacher/

Congrats Jon! Wishing you nothing but the best!

May 21st, 2012, 10:05 am
QB Coach

Post Re: Kitna goes from quarterback to teacher
This seems really interesting to me because with the recent case of Junior Seau, people are trying to lay claim to concussions and brain damage as being the cause of his premature demise. I am of the opinion that the beloved player possibly died from a lack of identity. If being a football player is all that you ever are, or wanted to be, and you've done it, but are no longer able to because of health reasons/age, and so on what happens to your identity?

A loss of who I am, or a realization of who you are, can cause severe depression leading to tragic choices. In Jon's case, he has transitioned from being a "football player" to being a teacher and coach. If his identity was wrapped around who he was, then the chance for him to make the same mistakes is there, but if as we've seen, football was just a part of his life, then his life is not based around the game. Just a thought and it can be applied to any job, any position, any title.

2 Chronicles 10:14, "if my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land."

May 21st, 2012, 4:51 pm
Varsity Captain

Post Re: Kitna goes from quarterback to teacher
WarEr4Christ wrote:
This seems really interesting to me because with the recent case of Junior Seau, people are trying to lay claim to concussions and brain damage as being the cause of his premature demise. I am of the opinion that the beloved player possibly died from a lack of identity. If being a football player is all that you ever are, or wanted to be, and you've done it, but are no longer able to because of health reasons/age, and so on what happens to your identity?

A loss of who I am, or a realization of who you are, can cause severe depression leading to tragic choices. In Jon's case, he has transitioned from being a "football player" to being a teacher and coach. If his identity was wrapped around who he was, then the chance for him to make the same mistakes is there, but if as we've seen, football was just a part of his life, then his life is not based around the game. Just a thought and it can be applied to any job, any position, any title.

Good call. Setting goals, working towards them, and obtaining them are uplifting and bring you a sense of self-worth. If you live the football life, that is full of goals and accomplishments, then go into a life that is relaxed and boring, then what do you have to look forward to? What are you working towards?

I'm with you. A loss of identity was definitely part of the problem.

Good to see Kitna doing something positive for the community too. I'm a teacher and football coach myself... though I'm no Kitna. Could you imagine getting an education from AND being coached by an accomplished NFL quarterback? (Accomplished, as in, not a 1-and-done QB). That would be awesome!

May 23rd, 2012, 3:17 pm
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]