View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently April 18th, 2014, 12:26 pm

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
 49er's just cleaned house 
Varsity Benchwarmer

Post 49er's just cleaned house
The 49ers made it official. They fired both Dennis Erickson (HC) and Terry Donahue (GM) today. While I consider myself a Lions fan as well, the 9ers are my first team.

Obviously as a fan, I have some firm opinions on the state of the team and the direction it's going. I was just wondering if anyone here had opinions as non-49er-fans.

Does anyone have any thoughts on what happened in S.F. today? About the team? The ownership? I'd just find it interesting.

I wonder how happy Mooch is about getting out when he did? :roll:

January 5th, 2005, 11:41 pm
QB Coach

I really don't understand what the next step for the 49ers would be. They don't have anyone that scares defenses on offense. While they have a decent core of young talent at the skill positions on offense, it hasn't panned out. RaShaun Woods was a dissapointment, and Derrick Hamilton recorded 0 receptions all season. Both Lloyd and Wilson recorded average seasons, but someone has to break out and emerge as a #1 receiver, most likely Lloyd next season.

I think that Rattay can be a solid QB, but he won't be among the NFL's elite. His injuries nagged him this season, and playing Dorsey ruined the 49ers season. Besides Eric Johnson, no one on the 49ers offense has shown anything that proves to me that they can take the next step. Newberry can be great, but was hurt this year.

They need to get a coach that will push this young talent on this roster and get better. Drafting and going out and spending loads of money isn't going to immediately help this team. Improving the current players on the roster is the #1 priority in San Francisco. They have talent. Barlow is a good back but wasn't used correctly this season. Lloyd could be a #1 receiver for this team. Woods and Hamilton have talent as well as Wilson. Harris needs to live up to that pick they used on him. Smiley is a mauler at times.

I honestly don't see many holes on this team, rather just unpolished talent. A quarterback drafted #1 overall would be the most logical solution (Matt Leinart), but i'm not convinced that Leinart will succeed in San Francisco with the talent level of the team. This team is still in a re-building mode. A good coach, someone like Denny Green did for Arizona could get this team there faster, someone who will overhaul the roster with players that are going to work hard, and someone who drafts solid.

Your thoughts?

January 6th, 2005, 12:27 am
Profile WWW
5th Round Pick - Traded

The beauty of it all is the show that San Fran put on while interviewing for a new coach. Millen gets fined for trying to interview the minority coaches that won't come in because it looks like they want Mooch. San Fran brings in anyone of minority status and pulls Ericson in out of the blue. Talk about a dog-and-pony show. Now they realize that not only is the coach that they hired a joke just like he was his first time in the pro's, but they finally realize that their G.M. is a joke also. Maybe now they can get their team back to respectability. Wouldn't it be ironic if all of the minority coaches refused to interview for them now like Dennis Green did to Detroit?

January 6th, 2005, 6:58 am
Modmin Dude

Maybe they'll try to lure Carroll and Chow away from USC and they can take Leinhart with their #1 pick 8)

Joe Fauria, MVP!

January 6th, 2005, 9:03 am
Millen Draft Pick - Epic Bust

The Niners are a team that is in a world of poop!!!

No matter who the coach is they will not win for at least three years.

January 6th, 2005, 12:02 pm
Modmin Dude

Carroll said that he wasn't interested in the HC job in SF

Joe Fauria, MVP!

January 7th, 2005, 10:10 am
Varsity Benchwarmer

As far as Lienhart goes, I'm not personally sold on him. If he gets picked # 1, I'm sure his agent will want a contract similar to that of Eli Mannings last year, which in effect would handcuff the 9ers to the guy for the next several years. Maybe he's worth the gamble, but as I said I'm not sure.

Like Brian, I feel Ratay can be productive, but not elite. I'd be fine with sticking with him until a guy comes out that they really feel good about rolling the dice on. Ideally I'd like to see them trade down, although I'm not sure how much value they can get for the # 1 this year. I say all this of course having no idea what kind of offence the team will be running next season, which obviously would affect my opinion on the QB position.

That said IMO the biggest of the 9ers many needs is upgradeing the o-line. :roll: If and when that happens I think (hope) both the running and passing game will be much more productive.

My really BIG problem with the team is the owner John York!! :evil: I really question if the team will ever be, even a shell of, what it once was while he's in charge. Among the things he's done since he's taken over:

-Locking up Gatorade from the players until trainers get there. (guess he dosen't want them to over endulge)
-Charge players for postage when they try to return fan mail at the team facility.
-Slashed or gotten rid of Christmas bonuses that were once given to the teams office workers.
-Telling players & others who work for him that they could bring only spouces (no kids) to the annual Christmas party. He later backed down when a player complained on a radio interview and the story caught fire with the press.
-Fired Mariucci after a 10-6 season and going to the 2nd round of the playoffs.

This article does a good job of reflecting my perception of the guy and the teams direction:
http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/news/archive/2005/01/06/sports1842EST0125.DTL

While I'm not unhappy with the fact Erickson & Donahue are gone, IMO they were simply used as scapegoats. Did I mention he signed Donahue to a four year $5 million extention just FOUR MONTHS AGO! I have to ask myself what did Donahue do diffrently in the last four months to go from an extention to being fired. IMO this guy is clueless, with no direction and I have serious doubts about the teams future. :(

January 9th, 2005, 4:23 am
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]