View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently July 24th, 2014, 1:57 pm

Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ] 
 Jim Schwartz confident in Lions’ cornerbacks 
Modmin Dude

Post Jim Schwartz confident in Lions’ cornerbacks
PFT wrote:
Jim Schwartz confident in Lions’ cornerbacks
Posted by Michael David Smith on May 20, 2012, 12:10 PM EDT

Cornerback was already a position of need for the Lions heading into this offseason, even before they lost starter Eric Wright in free agency. So many Lions fans were disappointed when the team didn’t address the position in the first round of the NFL draft, and downright baffled when the Lions didn’t take a corner in the second round, either.

But Lions coach Jim Schwartz says he’s got this.

Detroit drafted cornerbacks in the third, fifth and sixth rounds, so they know they have quantity at the position. And Schwartz says the Lions know they have quality at the position, too.

“I don’t know that I’ve ever really gone in saying, ‘You want to have good competition,’” Schwartz told the Detroit Free Press. “What you really want is you want to have good players. If you have enough good players, you’ll have competition, but I don’t know we’re really looking to say, ‘We’re trying to have competition.’ We’re trying to have good players, and I think we have a couple there.”

Chris Houston, who started 13 games at cornerback for the Lions last season and led the team with five interceptions, will be one of the starters at cornerback, and Schwartz will have to hope that one of the rookies (Dwight Bentley, Chris Greenwood or Jonte Green) will be ready to start as well. The Lions’ cornerbacks didn’t inspire much confidence at the end of last season, and the Lions’ offseason moves haven’t inspired much confidence at the position, either — except from Schwartz.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... rnerbacks/

Thoughts on our CB situation? Has enough been done to address this glaring weakness?

I'm thinking we'll be fine heading into the season, its the depth I'm concerned with.

May 21st, 2012, 10:02 am
Team MVP

Post Re: Jim Schwartz confident in Lions’ cornerbacks
I think im okay with the situation. Ill be able to know a little more when training camp is here. Like Ive said before, every CB is going to get better when you have to practice against Megatron.

April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.

Lionbacker2 Fantasy Champion 2011

May 21st, 2012, 10:09 am
1st Round Pick

Location: Cloudy Town, Minnesota. 763.18 miles from Ford Field
Maybe it's a sign of he will work harder on CB's in training camp?

Follow me on Twitter: @W2G4U

May 21st, 2012, 10:17 am
Profile WWW
RIP Killer

Aside from Bentley and Greenwood looking good at the rookie camp, I think the Jacob Lacey signing will pay dividends. He's underrated, in my opinion, and could push to be the starter opposite Houston. He may not be the physical kind of player that Wright was last season, but I think he could be a better player in the matter of consistency if he wins the starting job.

May 21st, 2012, 11:57 am
League MVP

lacey's specialty is to cover the slot receiver. berry moves into the No 2 CB role where he played last year in nickel packages and lacey takes wright's role in the nickel which was to cover the slot. Bentley/Greenwood/Green dont have to be more than the 4th CB unless there are some injuries at which point our depth will be unexperienced but probably not worse than brandon mcdonald/don carey/alfonso smith last seaseon

May 21st, 2012, 1:54 pm
Modmin Dude

PFT wrote:
Report: Mike Jenkins will skip OTAs, wants to be traded
Posted by Josh Alper on May 21, 2012, 3:54 PM EDT

Cowboys coach Jason Garrett is hopeful that cornerback Mike Jenkins will join the team at organized team activities on Tuesday, but it seems that his hopes will be dashed.

Clarence Hill of the Fort Worth Star-Telegram reports that Jenkins will not be showing up on Tuesday and that he wants to be traded away from the Cowboys. By signing Brandon Carr and drafting Morris Claiborne, the Cowboys have pushed Jenkins to third on the depth chart and there’s not much chance he’s going to get an extension from a team that’s already spending a fair amount on Carr, Claiborne and Orlando Scandrick.

Jenkins was shopped during the draft, but the Cowboys didn’t find a deal that made them pull the trigger. Since then they have been talking up their depth at corner, something that doesn’t seem to have struck any heart strings for Jenkins. Jenkins is set to make $1.052 million in 2012, a number that makes it much easier to consider keeping him as a third corner and letting him walk after the season.

Jenkins had shoulder surgery after last season which would have kept him out of OTAs even if he showed up. Neither the injury nor his desire for a new deal will make Jenkins any easier for the Cowboys to deal unless their asking price is on the modest side.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... be-traded/
Thoughts on whether or not Mayhew should be trying to fleece Jones again?

May 22nd, 2012, 9:39 am
RIP Killer

TheRealWags wrote:
PFT wrote:

Cowboys coach Jason Garrett is hopeful that cornerback Mike Jenkins will join the team at organized team activities on Tuesday, but it seems that his hopes will be dashed.

Clarence Hill of the Fort Worth Star-Telegram reports that Jenkins will not be showing up on Tuesday and that he wants to be traded away from the Cowboys. By signing Brandon Carr and drafting Morris Claiborne, the Cowboys have pushed Jenkins to third on the depth chart and there’s not much chance he’s going to get an extension from a team that’s already spending a fair amount on Carr, Claiborne and Orlando Scandrick.

Jenkins was shopped during the draft, but the Cowboys didn’t find a deal that made them pull the trigger. Since then they have been talking up their depth at corner, something that doesn’t seem to have struck any heart strings for Jenkins. Jenkins is set to make $1.052 million in 2012, a number that makes it much easier to consider keeping him as a third corner and letting him walk after the season.

Jenkins had shoulder surgery after last season which would have kept him out of OTAs even if he showed up. Neither the injury nor his desire for a new deal will make Jenkins any easier for the Cowboys to deal unless their asking price is on the modest side.

If I'm Mayhew, I offer a conditional 7th rounder for him. If he plays more than 40% of our defensive snaps for us, I'd up the pick to a 6th rounder. We can afford the salary.

May 22nd, 2012, 11:20 am
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

m2karateman wrote:
TheRealWags wrote:
PFT wrote:

If I'm Mayhew, I offer a conditional 7th rounder for him. If he plays more than 40% of our defensive snaps for us, I'd up the pick to a 6th rounder. We can afford the salary.

This

NEVER GIVE UP!

May 22nd, 2012, 11:56 am
All State

Trading a late rounder for Jenkins would definitely be worth it IMO.

May 22nd, 2012, 12:04 pm
Veteran General Manager

I think that by now, everyone knows my opinion of the CB situation. It's not a good opinion.

May 23rd, 2012, 11:43 pm
Color Commentator - John Madden

PFT wrote:
Lions may not be done acquiring cornerbacks
Posted by Michael David Smith on May 26, 2012, 6:33 PM EDT

Although Lions coach Jim Schwartz is saying he’s confident in his cornerbacks, the team may be looking for some veteran help.

According to Calvin Watkins of ESPNDallas.com, the Lions are interested in trading for Cowboys cornerback Mike Jenkins. The Cowboys are continuing to insist that Jenkins is not available and will remain in Dallas this season, but the Lions’ interest suggests that they’re not quite as confident in their secondary as they’ve been letting on.

Detroit’s secondary struggled last year, especially late in the season, and it was dealt another blow early in the offseason when starting cornerback Eric Wright left for Tampa Bay in free agency. Chris Houston will return as one of the starters at cornerback, but after Houston the Lions have more quantity (in the form of holdover Aaron Berry, free agent signing Jacob Lacey and draft picks Dwight Bentley, Chris Greenwood and Jonte Green) than quality.

Which means that if a quality veteran becomes available in the next three months, the Lions may make a move for him.

May 26th, 2012, 11:10 pm
League MVP

m2karateman wrote:
TheRealWags wrote:
PFT wrote:

Ii

The real question regarding affordability is how long can we afford him for? He s a free agent after the season as is Chris Houston. Both will probably want a contract in the Eric wright range so its unlikely that getting Jenkins helps us into the future. Great move for this season but will probably still need to develop a starter from our own current crop or future drafts.

May 28th, 2012, 3:55 pm
RIP Killer

The Legend wrote:
The real question regarding affordability is how long can we afford him for? He s a free agent after the season as is Chris Houston. Both will probably want a contract in the Eric wright range so its unlikely that getting Jenkins helps us into the future. Great move for this season but will probably still need to develop a starter from our own current crop or future drafts.

I understand, but I would treat Jenkins the same way as Wright....a stop gap for the year. Jenkins isn't all that good, but he would provide some stability and depth. Alfonso Smith is as good as gone, and I'm not sold on Aaron Berry as a starter. He has all the physical skills, but he doesn't have the mind for it. My understanding is that he's great in practice. Fine. But comes game day he falls apart. Numerous times I saw him hesitate on breaking on the ball last season, get turned around or just plain have a receiver blow past him while he stood there. Whether it's because he's not accustomed to the defensive scheme, unsure of himself or whatever, he didn't look good at all last season. I hope he makes strides, but I am not counting on it. Get Jenkins and we can rest a little easier for the coming season. That's what matters right now. We'll worry about 2013 later on.

May 29th, 2012, 9:24 am
RIP Killer

Freep wrote:
Chris Houston: Aaron Berry capable of being Lions' other starting cornerback

The Lions continue their off-season preparations today with another OTA (organized team activity), which means they continue their efforts to fill the vacancy left by cornerback Eric Wright.

Chris Houston is the starter on the left side, and Aaron Berry, last year's nickel cornerback, practiced with the first team on the right side last week. Houston said he thinks Berry has what it takes to hold on to the starting job.

"Berry started last year in some games," Houston said. "He came in and he was the third corner after Eric (Wright). He came in and held his own.

"I know he's hungry and ready to get out there and show people what he's got. He's a little underrated. But I like it like that because that'll get some balls thrown to him and let him make some plays."

In March, the Lions also signed free agent Jacob Lacey. He played mostly nickel the past three seasons in Indianapolis and was the first-team nickel in practice last week.

Three drafted rookie corners -- Bill Bentley, Chris Greenwood and Jonte Green -- also are trying to learn the ropes.

"They drafted and added a lot of guys, so there's talent in the room," Houston said. "They just have to learn what to do in the playbooks. Then, once things start slowing down for them, then once they understand that playbook, then they can start concentrating on offenses and learning the game."

May 29th, 2012, 10:02 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 14 posts ]