View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently April 23rd, 2014, 3:42 pm

Reply to topic  [ 43 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
 2012 NFL PLAYERS TOP 100 LIST 
QB Coach

Post Re: 2012 NFL PLAYERS TOP 100 LIST
I heard yesterday that George Foster Signed with the Colts yesterday and don't see it anywhere on this board. Don't want to get yelled at, or have a thread moved to off topic, but wondered if anyone heard anything

2 Chronicles 10:14, "if my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land."

May 31st, 2012, 3:27 pm
RIP Killer

WarEr4Christ wrote:
I heard yesterday that George Foster Signed with the Colts yesterday and don't see it anywhere on this board. Don't want to get yelled at, or have a thread moved to off topic, but wondered if anyone heard anything

Wow, didn't know George Foster was on the top 100 list.... :lol:

May 31st, 2012, 3:50 pm
Profile WWW
RIP Killer

Killwill25 wrote:
if cam is ranked higher than stafford, i am gonna s*** out of my d***. cam's 4th quarter numbers are among the worst in the league and they went 6-10. i have no problem with him of the list he's just not a top 40 player yet

Well...

MLive wrote:
Matthew Stafford vs. Cam Newton, who's better? Detroit Lions QB isn't superior in some eyes

Matthew Stafford's peers ranked him as the 41st best player in the NFL. And they think Cam Newton is even better.

So, it's sparked a debate: Which quarterback is better? The Detroit Lions passer who threw for more than 5,000 yards in his first healthy season in 2011 or the Carolina Panthers dual-threat star who accounted for 35 touchdowns as a rookie?

Opionions appear to be split among NFL Network analysts and an NFL.com writer.

NFL.com's Gregg Rosenthal says Newton is "already a superior quarterback" to Stafford.

"This isn't about Newton's potential," Rosenthal wrote. "Newton showed the ability to stand tall in the pocket, like a veteran, and deliver with pressure in his face. He's a good progression reader. Stafford has also made great strides in these areas, but Newton's running skills put him over the top. Newton may be the best goal-line back in football."

Newton did rush for 706 yards and 14 touchdowns in 2011, in addition to passing for 4,051 yards and 21 TDs. The Panthers finished 6-10 after winning just two games in 2010.

But NFL Network analyst Brian Billick, the former coach of the Baltimore Ravens, says you can't discount what Stafford has done in lifting the Lions as a franchise.

"You've got to remember where Matthew Stafford came from. Virtually no running game, it was all on him. Let's not forget they're not that far removed from an 0-16 season," Billick said.

"The way he's elevated that franchise the way a great quarterback should. I think he's beginning to broach that elite level. Matthew Stafford clearly should have been higher on this chart and clearly should have been ahead of Cam Newton."

Stafford, in his third NFL season, passed for 5,038 yards and 41 touchdowns in leading Detroit to a 10-6 record and its first playoff berth since 1999.

Still, it appears the potential of Newton is the tease to other NFL players -- and NFL Network analyst Jay Glazer is buying in, too.

"I do think Matthew Stafford should be ranked higher, but if I had to choose right now, a quarterback of the future, I think I'm going the other way," Glazer said. "I think I'm going with Cam. Imagine what he could do when he really understands what's going on out there."

Who's better, Stafford or Newton?

June 1st, 2012, 12:04 pm
Profile WWW
RIP Killer

It would be difficult to get an unbiased answer out of this forum in asking who is better, Stafford or Newton.

That said, I would prefer to wait and let them each get another year under their belt and see who comes out on top. While Carolina has a much better running game to remove pressure off the QB, Stafford has the best receiver in football to throw to.

I think of it this way...Stafford is the better passer, and it's not even close. But Newton is the better football player overall.

So how do you rank them? Based on being a better QB, or being a better player?

June 4th, 2012, 10:39 am
League MVP

I think the only wa y to answer the questions is to ask yourself this: If you had to draft one of them today, which one would you draft?

I'd go stafford....but like you said I am biased :idea:
EDIT TO ADD:
Plus the Steves (young &McNair) are the only running QB's that had a long successful carreer. (Ok MAAAYBE MCnabb too) but thats it. I have always prefered a pocket passer.

Last edited by regularjoe12 on June 4th, 2012, 10:57 am, edited 2 times in total.

June 4th, 2012, 10:49 am
RIP Killer

Truth be told, I didn't think either one would be any good....so that shows you what I know.

However, even the idea of which would you draft is misleading. I guess it would depend on what kind of offense I want to run. But it's a good question.

June 4th, 2012, 10:51 am
Team MVP

regularjoe12 wrote:
I think the only wa y to answer the questions is to ask yourself this: If you had to draft one of them today, which one would you draft?

I'd go stafford....but like you said I am biased :idea:
EDIT TO ADD:
Plus the Steves (young &McNair) are the only running QB's that had a long successful carreer. (Ok MAAAYBE MCnabb too) but thats it. I have always prefered a pocket passer.

Im the same way about pocket passers. I dont like the running threat QBs, and would prefer a pocket passer any day.

April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.

Lionbacker2 Fantasy Champion 2011

June 4th, 2012, 2:01 pm
RIP Killer

There are a lot of great NFL QBs who ran the ball, it is just now much more part of the game. Besides Vick and Young, guys like Fran Tarkenton, Randall Cunningham, Roger Staubach, and even John Elway were known to run and I don't think of any of them as being particularly injury prone. And Aaron Rodgers hasn't missed many games.

And if it is injuries you are worried about, it is Stafford who has missed all the games - not Newton.

That said, there are a lot of intangibles that factor into a QB having "IT" - think of things like leadership, competitiveness, etc. I see these traits in Staff, I haven't followed Newton enough to know how he stacks up in this category. My guess, folks in Carolina would pick Cam while folks in Detroit would pick Stafford.

Tell you what, after 50 years - it is just nice to have a QB in conversations like this...

June 4th, 2012, 2:21 pm
Profile WWW
League MVP

Pablo wrote:
There are a lot of great NFL QBs who ran the ball, it is just now much more part of the game. Besides Vick and Young, guys like Fran Tarkenton, Randall Cunningham, Roger Staubach, and even John Elway were known to run and I don't think of any of them as being particularly injury prone. And Aaron Rodgers hasn't missed many games.

And if it is injuries you are worried about, it is Stafford who has missed all the games - not Newton.

That said, there are a lot of intangibles that factor into a QB having "IT" - think of things like leadership, competitiveness, etc. I see these traits in Staff, I haven't followed Newton enough to know how he stacks up in this category. My guess, folks in Carolina would pick Cam while folks in Detroit would pick Stafford.

Tell you what, after 50 years - it is just nice to have a QB in conversations like this...

Ill give you fran tarkelton...Didn't know that stauback was a runner....but Cunningham missed YEARS at a time, Elway was only a runner for a short while. he was definatly more of a pocket passer. same with Aaron Rodgers. he's a scrambler for sure. but spends his time in the pocket untill he has no choice anymore. and Vick has only played a 16 games season once.

Yes injury is my concern, and while Staff has been injured more at this point, history tell us that it is not likely to stay that way. (even though cam's a HUGE guy and could be the exception....the rule is that running QB's don't play long)

June 4th, 2012, 2:44 pm
RIP Killer

regularjoe12 wrote:
the rule is that running QB's don't play long

And D-E-F-E-N-S-E win championships.

There is such a small sample of running QBs in this league over history I think this is more of a saying that anything proven true. I've never seen any stats on injury frequency of running QBs vs. pocket QBs but I've also seen tons of pockets QBs knocked out for chunks of time.

Think of it this way, are you more vulnerable running when you have your head on a swivel and might be expecting to get hit or sitting in the pocket and getting creamed from the blindside unexpectantly?

I'm just saying, the argument is between these two and if injury concerns come into the picture you have to give Cam a big advantage there regardless of style of play.

June 4th, 2012, 2:58 pm
Profile WWW
League MVP

Oh would you stop defending your old favorite QB of Jamarcus Russel!!!! lol

Call it a matter of preference then. to me it seems that mobile QB's are more prone to getting hit more often. I guess I dont really have the actual numbers to prove it, but thats the way I perceive things to be.

June 4th, 2012, 3:54 pm
RIP Killer

regularjoe12 wrote:
Oh would you stop defending your old favorite QB of Jamarcus Russel!!!! lol

Call it a matter of preference then. to me it seems that mobile QB's are more prone to getting hit more often. I guess I dont really have the actual numbers to prove it, but thats the way I perceive things to be.

I have to disagree. First, there is a difference between a running QB and a mobile QB. Staubach, Elway and Tarkenton were mobile QBs. It wasn't in their DNA to run the ball unless they HAD to. Vick, Cunningham, Newton and to a lesser degree Steve Young were ones who would choose to run if things broke down rather than just move around and continue to look downfield.

That said, standing still and getting hit unprepared is much more destructive than bringing the ball down and taking off running. It's like a car crash. You see these crashes that involve a car turning over and over and think "how can that guy walk away from that?" because the car disintegrated. Then you see a crash like the one that killed Dale Earnhardt, and think "but it didn't seem that bad". All that energy just gets driven into the pocket standing QB and then he gets slammed to the ground with all that energy and weight behind it. A running QB typically doesn't get slammed to the turf with that much energy behind it. And besides, the league has saw fit to allow a QB who runs past the LOS to slide to avoid the big hit now.

All QBs get hit...it's just a matter of how the hit ends. Do they get driven into the ground, or simply knocked down. The latter is much less likely to injure you than the former.

June 4th, 2012, 9:06 pm
RIP Killer

Pablo wrote:
Killwill25 wrote:
Don't know why but I absolutely love the idea of current players ranking their fellow ballers. If Matthew Stafford isn't on this list, something is seriously wrong. 39 players from last year's list did not make it this year so it'll be interesting to see where guys like Eli, Cruz, AJ Green, JPP, Pat Peterson, Mike Wallace and Ladarius Webb(gave up 0 TDs last season) end up.

Which Lions do you think have a chance to crack the list?

I think maybe
Stafford
CJ(Top 3)
Pett
Suh
Maybe Tully
Maybe Avril

On average this works out to about 3 per team - couple of teams get more, couple of teams get less. I think the Lions work out right to the average. CJ, Suh and Staff - no more, no less. Just a matter of where they rank, especially CJ.

Rankings are in...

Matt Stafford = 41
Ndamukong Suh = 38
Calvin Johnson = 3 (behind only Aaron Rodgers and Drew Brees)

Other NFC North reps:

92. FB John Kuhn - Pack
80. WR Jordy Nelson - Pack
72. LB Lance Briggs - Bears
56. WR Greg Jennings - Pack
51. LB Brian Urlacher - Bears
48. KR Devin Hester - Bears
36. CB Charles Woodson - Pack
33. RB Matt Forte - Bears
27. LB Clay Matthews - Pack
26. DE Julius Peppers - Bears
13. DE Jared Allen - Vikes
8. RB Adrian Peterson - Vikes
1. QB Aaron Rodgers - Pack

By team Pack (6), Bears (5), Lions (3), Vikes (2)

June 28th, 2012, 2:07 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 43 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3