View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently November 22nd, 2014, 7:59 am

Reply to topic  [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 any thoughts on Dave Diehl getting a DUI? 
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

Post any thoughts on Dave Diehl getting a DUI?
I hate how these punk thugs think they can do whatever they want. What an entitled douche. I hear he blew twice the legal limit
Quote:
NEW YORK -- Giants offensive lineman David Diehl has been arraigned in New York City on charges of driving under the influence of alcohol.

Queens District Attorney Richard Brown says Diehl was arraigned on two counts of impaired driving. A judge ordered him to be released on his own recognizance and to return to court on July 26. His license has been suspended.

"I've worked hard during my career to set a positive example, and yesterday I fell far short of this standard," Diehl said in a statement. "I apologize to my family, my fans, the New York Giants, and the NFL. I made a poor decision that I sincerely regret, and, as always, take full responsibility for my actions."

Police say they got calls about a car accident in Queens around 8:45 p.m. Sunday. When they got there, they found a BMW had struck several parked cars along 35th Avenue.

They say Diehl was behind the wheel. They say he was charged after a breath test showed he was above the legal limit.

"Obviously we are aware of the situation, although we have not yet had a chance to discuss it with David," the Giants said in a statement. "Since it is an ongoing legal matter, we will refrain from comment at this time, although we will say that David has been an outstanding representative of this organization for the past 10 years, and nobody knows more than David does what is expected of our players both on and off the field."

Diehl's attorney, Gary Certain, didn't immediately return a call from The Associated Press seeking comment.

"Just obviously concerned about my friend and feel bad for him that he is going through this," quarterback Eli Manning said at a charity appearance in Mount Kisco, N.Y. "I wish nothing had happened but besides that just hoping that everything gets worked out and that he will be OK."

Some other teammates displayed their support for Diehl on Twitter.

"Everyone has made a mistake," punter Steve Weatherford wrote. "Dave Diehl has been a Giant for 10 years, and been role model longer than that. He has my full support."

Diehl's agent, Peter Schaffer, said on Sunday night, "I am honored to represent David Diehl. One of, if not the classiest, most humblest New York Giants ever."
http://espn.go.com/new-york/nfl/story/_ ... ui-charges

June 12th, 2012, 5:50 am
RIP Killer

Post Re: any thoughts on Dave Diehl getting a DUI?
Killwill25 wrote:
I hate how these punk thugs think they can do whatever they want. What an entitled douche. I hear he blew twice the legal limit.

I think your sentiments are unwarranted. I don't support driving drunk, but let's face facts here....many, MANY people do it. He didn't resist arrest, didn't refuse to cooperate, and apologized afterward without excuses.

It must be great to be as perfect as you. [-X

June 12th, 2012, 8:21 am
Team MVP

I think anyone that mixes driving and alcohol is an idiot.

April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.

Lionbacker2 Fantasy Champion 2011

June 12th, 2012, 11:00 am

m2karateman wrote:
Killwill25 wrote:
I hate how these punk thugs think they can do whatever they want. What an entitled douche. I hear he blew twice the legal limit.

I think your sentiments are unwarranted. I don't support driving drunk, but let's face facts here....many, MANY people do it. He didn't resist arrest, didn't refuse to cooperate, and apologized afterward without excuses.

Agreed with this part. Based on the punk thug comment I expected something like a Resisted Arrest/evaded police situation... kinda like Fairley.............

June 12th, 2012, 11:18 am
Profile ICQ WWW
ST Coordinator – Danny Crossman

Ditto here. I am anti drunk driving myself, but as far as I know this is his first offense and the guy is in his 30's. Looks more like a stupid judgment call than it does any kind of entitlement issue.

June 12th, 2012, 12:27 pm

m2karateman wrote:
Killwill25 wrote:

honest question. im not trying to fight or anything like that but did i pinch a nerve(even a little) that i called an older white dude a "punk thug"?

im far from perfect but i enjoy being me

June 12th, 2012, 3:53 pm

Not at all. I just meant that DUI isnt a punk thing (in many cases). Its a very wrong, yet very common mistake many people make, the guy owned up to it, said he was responsible for the bad decision, and he will do better. With no history there, or him driving 100+, or evading police/etc, i didnt see any punk or thug behaviour, just a dumb decision.

Ive never gotten a DUI, but ive probably driven 2-3 times in my life past where i should have driven, and regretted it each time. Im the guy that always takes his friends keys or pays for their cabs, even if it emasculates them.

However, people make mistakes.

June 12th, 2012, 5:13 pm
Profile ICQ WWW
RIP Killer

Killwill25 wrote:
m2karateman wrote:
Killwill25 wrote:

honest question. im not trying to fight or anything like that but did i pinch a nerve(even a little) that i called an older white dude a "punk thug"?

Didn't hit a nerve with me. I've never been busted for drunk driving. But I think it's unfair to refer to a guy as a "punk thug" for something like this. Diehl didn't resist arrest, didn't pull the "do you know who I am?" routine, and apologized BEFORE there was a public outcry for him to do so. He didn't avoid the media and wait for his or the teams PR person to put together a statement. In other words, he didn't take the high road, like so many other athletes/celebrities do when this happens to them, black or white.

As I said, he made a mistake. But it's a pretty common mistake that is made across America by more people than we'd like to admit or accept.

June 13th, 2012, 8:17 am

Killwill25 wrote:
m2karateman wrote:
Killwill25 wrote:

no..it didnt even occure to me that he was White untill you pointed it out. Thanks for bringing that to the conversation ](*,) :?

June 13th, 2012, 11:01 am
QB Coach

regularjoe12 wrote:
Killwill25 wrote:
m2karateman wrote:
Killwill25 wrote:

no..it didnt even occure to me that he was White untill you pointed it out. Thanks for bringing that to the conversation ](*,) :?

Same here. Have no clue if he's white or black. My problem is the punk thug statement. It would seem that by your definition, every player who makes a mistake in their life is a punk thug. Some certainly are. To me the difference is a guy who is knowing flouting the rules/laws because he thinks "I'm so and so, I can do whatever I want" (see: Woods, Tiger). But just doing a dumb thing and getting caught isn't that.

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.” - Neil deGrasse Tyson

June 14th, 2012, 12:50 am

Touchdown Jesus wrote:
regularjoe12 wrote:
Killwill25 wrote:
m2karateman wrote:
Killwill25 wrote:

Same here. Have no clue if he's white or black. My problem is the punk thug statement. It would seem that by your definition, every player who makes a mistake in their life is a punk thug. Some certainly are. To me the difference is a guy who is knowing flouting the rules/laws because he thinks "I'm so and so, I can do whatever I want" (see: Woods, Tiger). But just doing a dumb thing and getting caught isn't that.

The only reason I even made a thread about this DUI is to see the response to calling someone other than a young black dude a punk or a thug. I like Dave Diehl as a player and have nothing against him. He's been one of the better O-lineman in the league for a long time now and has won 2 rings so I'm calling BS on the guys who claim not to know what color he is.

June 14th, 2012, 2:22 am

So you start a thread to try and start a race fight? Nice man..real nice. And WE'Re supposed to be the racists? Wow.

June 14th, 2012, 6:43 am
QB Coach

Killwill25 wrote:
Touchdown Jesus wrote:
regularjoe12 wrote:
Killwill25 wrote:
m2karateman wrote:
Killwill25 wrote:

The only reason I even made a thread about this DUI is to see the response to calling someone other than a young black dude a punk or a thug. I like Dave Diehl as a player and have nothing against him. He's been one of the better O-lineman in the league for a long time now and has won 2 rings so I'm calling BS on the guys who claim not to know what color he is.

You can call BS if you want, but I have no idea who he is. I would have to Google him to know anything about him. I've heard his name before, but that's it. Prior to this I couldn't have told you what team he plays for or what position. So no, I didn't know what color he is.

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.” - Neil deGrasse Tyson

June 14th, 2012, 10:59 am
RIP Killer

Killwill25 wrote:

So basically you are just admitting to being a troll. Nevermind the fact that when other players, white or black, have received a DUI on other teams you barely hear a whisper here. The few times that other teams players are busted and something is said is usually because they did something serious, like driving drunk and killing someone. And even then, we weren't admonishing the player as much as the judicial system that slapped him on the hand for his crime. In the case of Lions players, statements will be made because they play for OUR team.

A punk is a punk, a thug is a thug. Color doesn't matter. And calling BS on whether people knew Dave Diehl was white or black is BS in itself. He's not a common household name player. I can probably pull out 50 names from across the NFL rosters, and most people probably couldn't tell you if they were white or black. Hell.....not many would guess Patrick Chung was black.

June 14th, 2012, 12:39 pm

regularjoe12 wrote:
So you start a thread to try and start a race fight? Nice man..real nice. And WE'Re supposed to be the racists? Wow.

I'm not trying to start a fight at all. I just know I feel when I read stories on black atheletes who get in trouble with the law and I gotta read a whole bunch of crap in the comments section about being a thug or whatever and just wanted to see if it was just me who takes offense to it. It's not a race fight at all. I'm not calling anyone racist

June 14th, 2012, 1:52 pm
Reply to topic   [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next