View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently August 28th, 2014, 3:11 am

Reply to topic  [ 190 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 13  Next
 6 Days = 15+ Billion Years. The Genesis Code. 
Veteran General Manager

Post 6 Days = 15+ Billion Years. The Genesis Code.
Science has reconciled with the Genesis account of creation.

I strongly suggest that everyone watch the Movie: " The Genesis Code".

It is a Christian Movie. But, it offers solid science behind it's premise, all wrapped around a touching storyline.

All in all: The movie, by itself, starts a little slowly. But, gradually builds as you learn more about each character.

So, stick with it all the way to the end.

May 20th, 2012, 12:58 am
Veteran General Manager

Post Re: 6 Days = 15+ Billion Years. The Genesis Code.
Has anyone else watched this yet?

June 13th, 2012, 1:38 pm
RIP Killer

Haven't seen it but I know a few who have, believers predictably fall in line with the move (they are "believers" after all).

Non-believers note that the movie doesn't use literal translations from Bible but rather summarizes passages and then "fits" them into the findings (despite distorting the original passage). My understanding is they try to redefine "6 days" now into billions of years - lol, cause when you think about it why would an almighty God take over 15 billion years or so to create the Earth when in reality he could do it in less than a week? I guess he had time to kill...

In truth, the movie tries to claim that science proves Genesis when in fact science has disproven Genesis as being even remotely accurate. I'm glad that Christians are beginning to accept that the Earth was not created in 6 days about 6,000 years ago (and are turning to science for facts), but trying to reframe it now to still somehow fit into the "truth" is pretty lame. That said, a lot of good books/movies are based on lame theories so the movie may still be worth a watch.

June 13th, 2012, 3:38 pm
Profile WWW
Veteran General Manager

Pablo wrote:
Haven't seen it but I know a few who have, believers predictably fall in line with the move (they are "believers" after all).

Non-believers note that the movie doesn't use literal translations from Bible but rather summarizes passages and then "fits" them into the findings (despite distorting the original passage). My understanding is they try to redefine "6 days" now into billions of years - lol, cause when you think about it why would an almighty God take over 15 billion years or so to create the Earth when in reality he could do it in less than a week? I guess he had time to kill...

In truth, the movie tries to claim that science proves Genesis when in fact science has disproven Genesis as being even remotely accurate. I'm glad that Christians are beginning to accept that the Earth was not created in 6 days about 6,000 years ago (and are turning to science for facts), but trying to reframe it now to still somehow fit into the "truth" is pretty lame. That said, a lot of good books/movies are based on lame theories so the movie may still be worth a watch.

I think you should watch the movie. The science behind it is proven science, yet, creation was in fact done in only 6 days. And actually, there are a lot of Christians that hate this movie because they have an incorrect assumption that the movie gives credence to evolution. It does not. It mentions the time frames when Darwin claims each life form appeared on the planet. But, it in no way, claims that that life form was from evolution.

Quote:
2 Peter 3:8
But, beloved, be not ignorant of this one thing, that one day is with the Lord as a thousand years, and a thousand years as one day.

Science simply, finally, caught up with how this is possible.
Also, if a day can be as a thousand years, it can also be as 10 thousand, 100 thousand, 1 million, 1 billion, etc.

June 16th, 2012, 10:08 am
Veteran General Manager

Pablo wrote:
My understanding is they try to redefine "6 days" now into billions of years - lol, cause when you think about it why would an almighty God take over 15 billion years or so to create the Earth when in reality he could do it in less than a week? I guess he had time to kill...

God has nothing but time. An eternity of it. Us, on the other hand, our lives take up about as much space in all of eternity as a period at the end of one of these sentences.

And actually, if you read Genesis 1:1-2 literally, you might be surprised by something.

Quote:
1In the beginning God created the heaven and the earth. 2And the earth was without form, and void; and darkness was upon the face of the deep. And the Spirit of God moved upon the face of the waters.

The Earth was present before the first day ever even started. The first day did not start until Genesis 1:3-5 There very well could have been a multiple Billions of years gap between verse 2 and verse 3.

Quote:
3And God said, Let there be light: and there was light. 4And God saw the light, that it was good: and God divided the light from the darkness. 5And God called the light Day, and the darkness he called Night. And the evening and the morning were the first day.

June 16th, 2012, 10:19 am
ST Coordinator – Danny Crossman

my whole thinkin on the 6 day thing goes like thus:

We earthlings define 1 day based on the rotation of the earth. Since God is not of this earth it seems pretty presumtuous to assume that 1 day = 24 hours in Gods mindseye. Like Billy Said, God has all of eternity, I can't even comprehend what a timeline might look like to a being that has always been and will always be.

June 16th, 2012, 10:55 am
QB Coach

I hesitated to wade into this discussion because I didn't want to upset anyone with my "blind" beliefs, but Billy if you care to look at the Scripture even further you will see that the waters were actually separated. The universe was beneath the outer layer, and then "Earth" was created below this outer shell of water. So if you were to draw a circle on a piece of paper this would be the outer ring, put a dot in the circle and that would be Earth. What separates the two distinctions is the universe, the planets, the sun, moon, and stars.

Then travel further along in Scripture to the 7th Chapter of Genesis, because of man's sin, God opened the wells of the great deep, and pierced the outer shell of water from the heavens, thus flooding the whole earth.

Genesis 7:11
In the six hundredth year of Noah’s life, on the seventeenth day of the second month—on that day all the springs of the great deep burst forth, and the floodgates of the heavens were opened.

This amount of water was a changing point for Earth. Structurally it became polar, forming a North and South Pole, I have heard it speculated that the Earth was thrown off it's axis because of the water weight, 8 lbs per gallon, and catastrophically shifted, creating the poles. Even to this day, Scientists have found tropical plants and evidence beneath the polar ice caps to back this up. So the Earth used to be a Tropical environment until that time frame.

The difficulty that a lot of people here have is that they want to argue that the Bible is a lie because it is a combination of literal and narrative. But this is what is so beautiful and living about it, because you and I can read the same stuff at the same time, and get something totally different out of it. What is far more important, especially in these last days, is that people understand the course of events that we are quickly heading to. We can argue about days gone by, and this story or that, but NONE of that will secure your future. Daniel speaks about prophecies, and it's amazing that there are something like 420 Biblical prophecies total and all have come true and been documented, and there are only something like 3 that have not been documented for truth.

As I have tried to say for a long time, it's all about the relationship! Genesis 1:26-27 states, " Then God said, “Let us make mankind in our image, in our likeness, so that they may rule over the fish in the sea and the birds in the sky, over the livestock and all the wild animals,[a] and over all the creatures that move along the ground. 27 So God created mankind in his own image, in the image of God he created them;male and female he created them." The God of relationship, Father, Son, and Holy Spirit, formed man for relationship. We were given free will, free to choose of not to choose.

Because man made the wrong choice, that relationship was broken, and there is nothing we could do to redeem it. So God made a way through Jesus, becoming like us in every way, in order that He could be the final sacrifice. In Genesis 3, the first shedding of blood is mentioned. Gen 3:21-22, "The Lord God made garments of skin for Adam and his wife and clothed them. 22 And the Lord God said, “The man has now become like one of us, knowing good and evil. He must not be allowed to reach out his hand and take also from the tree of life and eat, and live forever.” Innocent animals were taken and killed in order to make the skins needed to clothe Adam and Eve. Prior to that nothing was killed, not even animal on animal.

So Jesus is the "lamb" that was slain to provide the blood sacrifice needed to atone for mans' sin once and for all. The interesting, and awesome thing about this is that it is a free gift, one just needs to accept that gift of life and repent for their sin. Then the relationship is restored, and the life of the Christian is living and learning what it is to be a child of God.

So there is much in the 6 day story that leaves gaps and questions, but there is much that is very interesting too! But don't forget, all of this is of least importance, given the times, but what is far more important are what are people going to do about their future?

Thanks for letting me share, hope I didn't hijack it, or sidetrack it.

June 16th, 2012, 12:11 pm
Veteran General Manager

I just think that if the Genesis Code helps even 1 person who previously didn't believe the Bible because of the 6 days of creation story, then this is 1 of the greatest movies ever made.

June 16th, 2012, 12:21 pm
Player of the Year - Defense

What I've never understood is why believers have to defend the genesis creation story so ardently.

The old testament has many absurd stories that conflict with a modern understanding of how the world words (the story of Jonah, the plagues of Egypt, the age of many of the prophets, Noah's ark, etc).

If you are a believer, can't you just accept that the old testament (and probably the book of revelations) is a collection of metaphorical tales and move on?

June 16th, 2012, 2:06 pm

Are you saying a guy couldn't live in the belly of a whale for weeks? Cuz I've seen Pinoccio...that stuff happens all the time! :wink:

June 16th, 2012, 6:16 pm
Veteran General Manager

Blueskies wrote:
What I've never understood is why believers have to defend the genesis creation story so ardently.

The old testament has many absurd stories that conflict with a modern understanding of how the world words (the story of Jonah, the plagues of Egypt, the age of many of the prophets, Noah's ark, etc).

If you are a believer, can't you just accept that the old testament (and probably the book of revelations) is a collection of metaphorical tales and move on?

Now that just would not make us much of a believer now would it?

June 16th, 2012, 8:56 pm
Veteran General Manager

regularjoe12 wrote:
Are you saying a guy couldn't live in the belly of a whale for weeks? Cuz I've seen Pinoccio...that stuff happens all the time! :wink:

It was 3 days.

June 16th, 2012, 8:57 pm

BillySims wrote:
regularjoe12 wrote:

It was 3 days.

Pinoccio or Jonah? Lol its called a j-o-k-e.

You have to remember billy, tales like Johan were folk lore long before the bible was written. Man had long since altered the true details of stories like this one well before they were ever inked. The point of stories like this are the lessons.."the moral of the story" so to speak. Do I believe there was a Jonah? Yes. Do I believe he had a calling and tried to refused to answer that call? Yes. I'll even go so far as to believe he was probably in a ship wreck involving a whale and that shipwreck caused him to go where he didn't want to. But the rest I believe was made up to make up for better campfire tales. Verbal lore of that nature always has some truth behind it....but let there be no mistake about it, some details were edited for the sake of entertainment.

June 16th, 2012, 9:47 pm
Veteran General Manager

regularjoe12 wrote:
BillySims wrote:
regularjoe12 wrote:

It was 3 days.

You have to remember billy, tales like Johan were folk lore long before the bible was written. Man had long since altered the true details of stories like this one well before they were ever inked. The point of stories like this are the lessons.."the moral of the story" so to speak. Do I believe there was a Jonah? Yes. Do I believe he had a calling and tried to refused to answer that call? Yes. I'll even go so far as to believe he was probably in a ship wreck involving a whale and that shipwreck caused him to go where he didn't want to. But the rest I believe was made up to make up for better campfire tales. Verbal lore of that nature always has some truth behind it....but let there be no mistake about it, some details were edited for the sake of entertainment.

Well, for your sake, I hope your right. I can't make you believe one way or the other. I believe the bible is to be taken literally unless it makes it known when it is a parable/metaphor.
Sometimes, the truth is stranger than fiction. GOD tends to do things in an astonishing way to prove that he is GOD.

June 16th, 2012, 10:02 pm

BillySims wrote:
regularjoe12 wrote:
BillySims wrote:
regularjoe12 wrote:

It was 3 days.

Well, for your sake, I hope your right. I can't make you believe one way or the other. I believe the bible is to be taken literally unless it makes it known when it is a parable/metaphor.
Sometimes, the truth is stranger than fiction. GOD tends to do things in an astonishing way to prove that he is GOD.

Are you really going to tell me you don't think Jonah and the whale was a parable of sorts??? It's a story meant to teach an important lesson.

June 16th, 2012, 11:03 pm
Reply to topic   [ 190 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 13  Next