View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently December 18th, 2014, 10:19 pm

Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ] 
 LeShore Suspended 
Varsity Captain

Post LeShore Suspended
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/06/13/nfl-suspends-lions-mikel-leshoure-two-games/

Quote:
Lions running back Mikel Leshoure missed his entire rookie season last year. Now he’ll miss the first two games of his second season as well.

The NFL has suspended Leshoure for the first two games of the season — and docked him two additional game checks on top of that — for his two marijuana possession arrests this offseason. Leshoure will be allowed to stay with the team through the end of the preseason, then will be barred from the team facilities through the Lions’ Week Two game against the 49ers. He can re-join the team on September 17.

“We support the Commissioner’s decision regarding Mikel and appreciate the dialogue that we have had with the League office concerning the matter,” Lions president Tom Lewand said in a statement on the team’s website. “As we have previously stated, we expect every member of our organization to uphold a greater standard of behavior. If that standard is not upheld, those responsible will be held accountable. Our belief and expectation is that Mikel will continue to learn from this experience and use it as positive motivation moving forward.”

After the Lions took Leshoure in the second round of last year’s draft, he suffered a torn Achilles tendon at the start of training camp and was done for the season. Two other 2011 Detroit draft picks — first-rounder Nick Fairley and seventh-rounder Johnny Culbreath — have also been arrested for marijuana possession this offseason, and Fairley was also arrested for drunk driving in a separate incident. The NFL has not announced any discipline yet for Fairley or Culbreath.

Silver lining...? More time to rest his achilles and read the playbook. Really could have used him against SF though.

June 13th, 2012, 4:22 pm
National Champion

Post Re: LeShore Suspended
I really thought it was gonna be a 4 game suspension, so 2 games isn't so bad...

June 13th, 2012, 4:45 pm
ST Coordinator – John Bonamego

agreed. i though it would be worse. ill take the slap on the wrist. besides....we should be able to get at least 2 games outta Best before get gets Concussed again. we should be fine.

June 13th, 2012, 5:19 pm
Team MVP

regularjoe12 wrote:
agreed. i though it would be worse. ill take the slap on the wrist. besides....we should be able to get at least 2 games outta Best before get gets Concussed again. we should be fine.

I agree. Sucks, but not a HUGE deal. If he got 2 games, then Fairley should get that at the MOST.

April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.

Lionbacker2 Fantasy Champion 2011

June 13th, 2012, 6:10 pm
Hall of Fame Player

Falkes wrote:
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/06/13/nfl-suspends-lions-mikel-leshoure-two-games/

Quote:
Lions running back Mikel Leshoure missed his entire rookie season last year. Now he’ll miss the first two games of his second season as well.

The NFL has suspended Leshoure for the first two games of the season — and docked him two additional game checks on top of that — for his two marijuana possession arrests this offseason. Leshoure will be allowed to stay with the team through the end of the preseason, then will be barred from the team facilities through the Lions’ Week Two game against the 49ers. He can re-join the team on September 17.

“We support the Commissioner’s decision regarding Mikel and appreciate the dialogue that we have had with the League office concerning the matter,” Lions president Tom Lewand said in a statement on the team’s website. “As we have previously stated, we expect every member of our organization to uphold a greater standard of behavior. If that standard is not upheld, those responsible will be held accountable. Our belief and expectation is that Mikel will continue to learn from this experience and use it as positive motivation moving forward.”

After the Lions took Leshoure in the second round of last year’s draft, he suffered a torn Achilles tendon at the start of training camp and was done for the season. Two other 2011 Detroit draft picks — first-rounder Nick Fairley and seventh-rounder Johnny Culbreath — have also been arrested for marijuana possession this offseason, and Fairley was also arrested for drunk driving in a separate incident. The NFL has not announced any discipline yet for Fairley or Culbreath.

Silver lining...? More time to rest his achilles and read the playbook. Really could have used him against SF though.

The NFL policy for your 2nd marijuana bust is a 4 game suspension. So he's paying the price financially but getting a break in that he only sits out 2 games. That's actually a nice break considering he's therefore only barred from the facility for 2 games. I have to assume they gave him this break for the combination of:

1) The two busts were so close together. They never had time to administer punishment for the first bust. (A one game docking of pay).

2) He's jeopardizing his career by missing his whole 1st season.

3) He never caused any other problems associated with the busts. (DUI / resisting, etc.)

I've never known the NFL to do this so he should be grateful. I hope he learns from this and we can move on. I seriously doubt Fairly will get this break.

June 13th, 2012, 7:21 pm
Profile WWW
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

As much as I hate to say it... I believe Fairley will get 4-6 games, as his were IMO much worse than LeShoure's.

NEVER GIVE UP!

June 14th, 2012, 8:13 am
Rookie Player of the Year

LionsFan4Life wrote:
As much as I hate to say it... I believe Fairley will get 4-6 games, as his were IMO much worse than LeShoure's.

Jerome Simpson on The Vikes had a felony drug charge and only got 3 games. It's hard to predict these things in advance.

June 14th, 2012, 9:21 am
National Champion

LionsFan4Life wrote:

Yeah, but until Fairley improves, he's only depth.

Leshoure, on the other hand, is need NOW. So I'll take a mere two game suspension.

June 14th, 2012, 9:33 am
RIP Killer

LionsFan4Life wrote:

I don't think it will be that harsh. I agree that it will probably be worse than LeShoures, but I don't think it goes to 6 games. 4 at the most, possibly just 3.

June 14th, 2012, 12:25 pm

m2karateman wrote:
LionsFan4Life wrote:

I don't think it will be that harsh. I agree that it will probably be worse than LeShoures, but I don't think it goes to 6 games. 4 at the most, possibly just 3.

I hope you are right and I am wrong then.

NEVER GIVE UP!

June 14th, 2012, 1:26 pm

LionsFan4Life wrote:

my guess is 4 games. He shouldnt have smiled in the mug shot

June 14th, 2012, 2:23 pm
Varsity Captain

Sorry for you guys, but good news for me.

Hope this kid can get his act together.

June 17th, 2012, 1:11 pm
Modmin Dude

Perhaps some good news.......
PFT wrote:
Mikel Leshoure declares his Achilles 100 percent healed
Posted by Michael David Smith on July 16, 2012, 1:57 PM EDT

Lions running back Mikel Leshoure won’t play 100 percent of the season, but he is declaring himself 100 percent healthy.

Leshoure, who tore his Achilles tendon at the start of training camp last year and was on injured reserve for his entire rookie season, says that after nearly a year of rehab, he is officially 100 percent healthy and that his Achilles is feeling better than ever with ten days to go before the Lions’ veterans report to training camp.

July 16th, 2012, 3:24 pm
RIP Killer

In truth it doesn't answer anything other than how Mikel feels about the health of his A-tendon. Until he gets on the field during contact drills and shows the lateral quickness, the start stop and go ability he had before, I'd prefer to wait.

July 16th, 2012, 3:49 pm
Reply to topic   [ 14 posts ]