View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently September 19th, 2014, 8:02 am

Reply to topic  [ 69 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Who is the Lions' greatest rival? 

Who is the Lions' biggest rival?
Chicago Bears 59%  59%  [ 13 ]
Green Bay Packers 41%  41%  [ 9 ]
Minnesota Vikings 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
San Francisco 49ers 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Other 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 22

Who is the Lions' greatest rival? 
National Champion

Post Re: Who is the Lions' greatest rival?
thelomasbrowns wrote:
49ers wrote:
aManNamedSuh wrote:
49ers wrote:
The 49ers are up there because of 1 game? Wow.
They are an option that nobody has voted for, The Penguins became the Wings rival after one series, I'm not sure if it's a huge stretch.

Yes, that's almost exactly what I said. They are "up there", meaning, I can't believe they are even considered and not one person has thought it was silly, other than me.

EDIT: A series is several games, so that doesn't really surprise me.

I think there's also a sense that both teams are going to be good for the forseeable future, so I think people expect we could be meeting in the playoffs for years to come. Our coaches don't like each other, our players don't like each other, etc.

True. Could be the beginning of a rivalry, but not nearly on the level of Lions/Packers, or Lions/Bears.

June 19th, 2012, 10:16 am
RIP Killer

Sorry, but it can't be the 49ers for the simple idea that Detroit plays two games against the Vikes, Pack and Bears each season, guaranteed. High attendance between those clubs due to the close locations to one another, which fuels the rivalries.

Surely the Lions-49ers game is going to be more emotional than that of a typical game like one between the Lions and a team like, say, Houston. But the true rivalries are built from within the division in the NFL.

At this point, I'd say our biggest rival is the Bears due to just how close they compare to one another in record, talent, etc. But that can change year over year depending on what happens in individual games.

June 19th, 2012, 11:17 am
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

i consider the pats-steelers a rivalry and the 9ers-cowboys a rivalry back in the 90s so id put san fran on this list

June 19th, 2012, 5:13 pm
All State

Depends where you live IMO. Growing up a Lions fan in the UP I would say that the Packers are my second most hated team in ALL OF SPORTS, only trailing behind Ohio State as a Michigan fan. Growing up a Lions fan in the UP you have to have a thick skin. Believe it or not, the majority is DEFINITELY with the Packers up there. My whole family with the exception of 2 cousins are Packer fans. Holidays are a living hell for me when the Lions are on TV blowing the Thanksgiving Day game. I get heckled by about 20 people all at once.

What drives me nuts is that "Green Bay is Closer" argument they all give. If that's the case why the hell are you an avid Michigan, Redwings, Tigers, and Pistons fan (at least when they were good) then? Pick your damn home state, or DON'T. You might as well just go ala carte and be a Bulls fan or something else for other sports too.

Realistically I would say that since Favre came GB IS the team to beat in the division. The Packers are the litmus test for us. Detroit obviously proved they can get into the playoffs last year and should be a participant in them for years to come, but I wont' feel like they are ready for the big time until they can at least split the matchups and/or beat GB in Lambeau some year. It's like seeing those Patriots vs. Colts games at the peak of Manning vs. Brady. Whatever team one that one late in the year probably ended up being at the top of the AFC.

I've honestly never felt that much of a rivalry for the Bears because up until 2005 they were a hapless team without a direction that you felt sorry for. I kinda felt bad for them until I lived in Chicago around that time period and I got sick of listening to their pompous windbag sports media there. I'm not discrediting Chicago as being good now, but they are on the decline at this point IMO because of the age of core of their DEF (Urlacher, Tillman, Peppers, etc) and the instability of their OL. Cutler is no doubt talented, and they are starting to turn the corner on making that offense to work for them, but it's about time they acknowledge that they are getting further and further away from another super bowl appearance. The Bears will probably still remain "in the picture" for some time, but I think Detroit is a better team now.

As for the 49ers, call it petty and whatever else you want but yes, "The Handshake" made me hate them now. Both coaches are hothead buttholes, but that was a total lack of class on Harbaugh's part and I think he's a d-bag. I'm going to continue to have a grudge against SF for that but not more so then the Packers.

June 20th, 2012, 2:00 am
National Champion

DisgruntledFan wrote:
Depends where you live IMO. Growing up a Lions fan in the UP I would say that the Packers are my second most hated team in ALL OF SPORTS, only trailing behind Ohio State as a Michigan fan. Growing up a Lions fan in the UP you have to have a thick skin. Believe it or not, the majority is DEFINITELY with the Packers up there. My whole family with the exception of 2 cousins are Packer fans. Holidays are a living hell for me when the Lions are on TV blowing the Thanksgiving Day game. I get heckled by about 20 people all at once.

What drives me nuts is that "Green Bay is Closer" argument they all give. If that's the case why the hell are you an avid Michigan, Redwings, Tigers, and Pistons fan (at least when they were good) then? Pick your damn home state, or DON'T. You might as well just go ala carte and be a Bulls fan or something else for other sports too.

Realistically I would say that since Favre came GB IS the team to beat in the division. The Packers are the litmus test for us. Detroit obviously proved they can get into the playoffs last year and should be a participant in them for years to come, but I wont' feel like they are ready for the big time until they can at least split the matchups and/or beat GB in Lambeau some year. It's like seeing those Patriots vs. Colts games at the peak of Manning vs. Brady. Whatever team one that one late in the year probably ended up being at the top of the AFC.

I've honestly never felt that much of a rivalry for the Bears because up until 2005 they were a hapless team without a direction that you felt sorry for. I kinda felt bad for them until I lived in Chicago around that time period and I got sick of listening to their pompous windbag sports media there. I'm not discrediting Chicago as being good now, but they are on the decline at this point IMO because of the age of core of their DEF (Urlacher, Tillman, Peppers, etc) and the instability of their OL. Cutler is no doubt talented, and they are starting to turn the corner on making that offense to work for them, but it's about time they acknowledge that they are getting further and further away from another super bowl appearance. The Bears will probably still remain "in the picture" for some time, but I think Detroit is a better team now.

As for the 49ers, call it petty and whatever else you want but yes, "The Handshake" made me hate them now. Both coaches are hothead buttholes, but that was a total lack of class on Harbaugh's part and I think he's a d-bag. I'm going to continue to have a grudge against SF for that but not more so then the Packers.

Good call.

I see the Packers as our rival mostly because I went to college in Wisconsin, and took all kinds of crap from Green Bay fans for years. That, and my dad is a Green Bay fan. Most Chicago fans didn't give me as hard of a time. I'm sure if I went to school in Illinois or Minnisota my experience would be different.

Don't get me wrong. I have no love for Chicago, or Minnisota (or even San Fran). However, those teams haven't beaten us in thier home stadium for nearly the last 20 seasons. The Packers have owned the Lions in the past 20 years. The Bears, Vikes, and others...not so much.

June 20th, 2012, 8:41 am
Varsity Captain

DisgruntledFan wrote:

And Schwartz's reaction wasn't a lack of class?

You can't separate the two in this instance imo. You hate Harbaugh for essentially the same reaction that Schwartz showed; A classless, arrogant, embarrassing move by both.

June 20th, 2012, 6:59 pm

49ers wrote:
DisgruntledFan wrote:

You can't separate the two in this instance imo. You hate Harbaugh for essentially the same reaction that Schwartz showed; A classless, arrogant, embarrassing move by both.

49ers, i see your point but if jim schwartz let your guy(a rookie coach)just punk him it might've hurt his reputation even more than he did by responding. id rather our coach be a hothead than a punk

June 20th, 2012, 8:21 pm
Varsity Captain

Killwill25 wrote:
49ers, i see your point but if jim schwartz let your guy(a rookie coach)just punk him it might've hurt his reputation even more than he did by responding. id rather our coach be a hothead than a punk

Sooooooooooooo.... you're defending his actions. You're basically saying he made the best decision of the ones available to him.

With that attitude, you could play for the Lions.

June 20th, 2012, 10:40 pm

49ers wrote:
Killwill25 wrote:

Sooooooooooooo.... you're defending his actions. You're basically saying he made the best decision of the ones available to him.

i dont think there was a proper reaction to that. that kind of stuff is great for football. that kind of bad blood makes for intruiging primetime storylines. i remember when rob parker dissed marinelli's family at a press conference during 0-16 and Rod just punked out in a huge way(he looked like he wanted to cry). the next day he voiced his anger about the question but when he was put on the spot he proved to be SOFT. i guess what im saying is im glad our coach didnt let that disrespect slide.

lol at your last sentence, i love the Lions.

June 21st, 2012, 2:39 am
Hall of Fame Player

49ers wrote:
DisgruntledFan wrote:

Yeah. But, Harbaugh started it. LOL. Schwartz just finished it.

June 21st, 2012, 9:30 am
RIP Killer

49ers wrote:

I completely agree with you here. Two wrongs don't make a right. If Schwartz wouldn't have chased Harbaugh down, but instead would have said something during the press conference, I don't think there would have been a problem with that. I understand what Schwartz did, and why he did it. But sometimes you can't let your emotions get the better of you.

49ers wrote:

That last line is why you get railed on in this forum. You've just reacted much like Schwartz did. Something you are criticizing him for, you just did. Pretty ironic, right? Double standard?

[-X

June 21st, 2012, 9:30 am
Varsity Captain

m2karateman wrote:
I completely agree with you here. Two wrongs don't make a right. If Schwartz wouldn't have chased Harbaugh down, but instead would have said something during the press conference, I don't think there would have been a problem with that. I understand what Schwartz did, and why he did it. But sometimes you can't let your emotions get the better of you.

Exactly. If you look up my previous posts around the time this happened, I said the same thing. Schwartz could have easily had the upper hand by speaking out at the press conference. Harbaugh looked like a total jackass and I was 100% embarrassed as a fan... until Schwartz stepped in with something as equally stupid. I felt better after that, because I was terrified that Schwartz would take advantage and make us look even worse. Emotions got the best of them both.

Someone above said it is good for football, and I agree. At least it will make the rematch this year that much more exciting.

m2karateman wrote:
49ers wrote:

That last line is why you get railed on in this forum. You've just reacted much like Schwartz did. Something you are criticizing him for, you just did. Pretty ironic, right? Double standard?

That's a real stretch, don't you think? Reacting like Schwartz? I'm sure you know what I meant by that statement, I wasn't trying to be rude to the poster.

And I don't mind being "railed", I've never complained about it. I call it like I see it, and expect people to push back because they don't like to hear it. I get the same push on my own forums (49ers).

June 21st, 2012, 11:13 am
ST Coordinator – Danny Crossman

Quote:

Quote:
I wasn't trying to be rude to the poster.

Uh huh............. :-k :-k :-k
Perhaps one needs a dictionary to be able to look up the word "rude" in

June 21st, 2012, 11:46 am
RIP Killer

49ers wrote:
That's a real stretch, don't you think? Reacting like Schwartz? I'm sure you know what I meant by that statement, I wasn't trying to be rude to the poster.

Sorry, but I don't think it's a stretch at all. You took issue with what he said, and said something in return. You reacted. So did Schwartz. And in both cases, others see that reaction as negative.

And please enlghten me. What exactly DID you mean by that statement? I took it as a kind of a slam, at both the poster and the Lions. And it seems I'm not the only one.

You may not have tried to be rude, but you certainly didn't mean it as a compliment. I'm sure Schwartz wasn't trying to be rude either, but simply felt he was standing up for his principles and the respect he deserved.

June 21st, 2012, 1:00 pm
National Champion

regularjoe12 wrote:
Quote:

Quote:
I wasn't trying to be rude to the poster.

Uh huh............. :-k :-k :-k
Perhaps one needs a dictionary to be able to look up the word "rude" in

I can help.

Dictionary.com wrote:
rude [rood]

adjective, rud·er, rud·est.
1. discourteous or impolite, especially in a deliberate way: a rude reply.

2. without culture, learning, or refinement: rude, illiterate peasants.

3. rough in manners or behavior; unmannerly; uncouth.

4. rough, harsh, or ungentle: rude hands.

5. roughly wrought, built, or formed; of a crude construction or kind: a rude cottage.

I think the first definition works.

June 21st, 2012, 1:19 pm
Reply to topic   [ 69 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next