View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently April 16th, 2014, 12:15 am

Reply to topic  [ 83 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 should we cut aaron barry? 
Position Coach

Post should we cut aaron barry?
http://www.freep.com/article/20120626/S ... rry-arrest

youd have to just not give a crap about the team to do what he did after the offseason we've had

June 26th, 2012, 2:18 pm
RIP Killer

Post Re: should we cut aaron barry?
I, for one, think that the entire fan base of the Detroit Lions should start a website, have people post their feelings about these actions and what the people in Allen Park should do about it. Have these things read to the players by Lewand, Mayhew and Schwartz...and let those players know that it's NOT just about them. I'm tired of this. NFL fans across the country are laughing at the Lions again, and for DAMN good reason. These few have made the entire organization a laughingstock...again.

Thanks, you selfish a$$holes...thanks a ton.

I'm tired of the lip service from these idiots. "we want to win for the city of Detroit", "the Lions fans have had it tough, and we just want to bring them a championship", "we want to work hard for our fans".....

blah, blah, blah....

SHUT THE F##K UP ALREADY!!

If I'm Schwartz, I tell everyone of these guys that got arrested that their chances of being a starter evaporated on their arrest. They have lost sight of what they are supposed to be doing. They were a playoff team last year, and these idiots are out getting stoned, drunk or just plain acting stupid. They have to be punished, beyond what the league doles out. Screw the NFLPA if they don't like it.

I'd tell everyone of them another thing...you don't produce this season, and you're out of a job in Detroit...regardless of draft position or injury. You can't act smart and disciplined off the field, chances are you won't be that way on the field.

I've never seen such a pitiful off-season display by one team. Even if it's only six out of 90, it's ridiculous.

June 26th, 2012, 2:35 pm
Team MVP

Agree M2. Then they go on to say things like "I Sincerely apologize for my actions".....NO YOU DONT. So now, it makes you a freakin' moron, AND a liar!!

I swear these idiots write their apology ahead of time, and JUST IN CASE they get caught, they have something to apologize with already.

Do they use human tackling dummies at practice? If not, they might want to think about it.

Im sick and tired of this crap. I sign on to a website hopefully to hear about a Lions player making great impressions, only to find which one got arrested today.

Maybe there should be a sub-forum called "Idiots in a Lions Jersey", because that board would get posted on quite a bit to tell of the latest braindead Lions player we're all supposed to cheer for and support.

UNBELIEVEABLE.

April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.

Lionbacker2 Fantasy Champion 2011

June 26th, 2012, 3:01 pm
All State

At this point I'd almost say go for it, but you can't set a double standard either. Fairly and LeShore deserve it too. Cutting Berry and or Culbreath only says that if you have top tier talent you can get away with anything. I say tell them all they are being benched a min. of 2 or 3 games, or twice as many games as the NFL suspends them. The beauty of that is none of those guys contributed much last season.

This is driving me insane! I don't know what Berry is making but I'd venture to guess that while it's not Stafford or Suh money it sure as hell is more then anyone reading this article and it should be a no brainer to call a FKing cab when you're going out for the night!

It's one thing when you're the average Joe taking the risk with poor judgement when you question how bad you want to spend $30 on a long cab ride and/or have to pick up your car the next day, but when you make hundreds of thousands of dollars, and your livelihood depends on you being ON THE FIELD during the season, how is this even something you'd consider?! Wanna show off with your "blinged out" SUV on 26" rims at da club? Take a damn stretch limo instead!

I'd seriously like to know how much the teams can punish someone above and beyond the NFL's discipline. Can they be fined by the team?

Can you convert a large chuck of salary to a workout bonus that requires MANDATORY off season attendance? Like a $500,000 workout bonus which will be voided if you are not showing up at facilities to work out from the start of OTAs til training camp?

Something needs to happen here though. Bill Ford Jr. needs to get Mayhew, Schwartz, and the ENTIRE team in the same room and explicitly tell them that this is THE END of this bullisht. Start a 3 strikes and you're cut policy, tell them they will be benched for 3 games min. or twice the time the NFL suspends them, figure out a way to keep them IN DETROIT (ironically I'm calling Detroit a place that's safer and an environment where they could get into less trouble!) in the workout facilities and likewise get them out there visiting hospitals, going to charity events, etc and while you're at it send the whole damn team to Anger Management and AA meetings just as a safety measure! This HAS to stop.

As a Lion's fan I was so happy last year to finally see this team crawl out of the gutter and show some promise. Now between this and the "dirty" reputation I wanna put a paper bag on my head again.

June 26th, 2012, 3:14 pm
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

F*** yes.

June 26th, 2012, 3:21 pm
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

DisgruntledFan wrote:
As a Lion's fan I was so happy last year to finally see this team crawl out of the gutter and show some promise. Now between this and the "dirty" reputation I wanna put a paper bag on my head again.

Nailed it.

June 26th, 2012, 4:11 pm
Profile ICQ WWW
Play by Play Announcer - Al Michaels

To answer the question, no, cutting Aaron Berry is not a good idea. It would be a knee-jerk reaction, based on a collection of incidents not based solely on Berry's behavior. Moreover, cutting him would not be a sound football decision.

I don't like these off-field incidents at all but I also don't like how judgmental fans can be about these things. If you got a DUI while you were on vacation, do you think you should lose your job? Honestly?

June 26th, 2012, 5:10 pm
QB Coach

This really ticked me off especially after all the issues we've been having. No I don't think this warrants him being cut because with the way our secondary looks we will need him. But something has to be done with this team. This is embarrassing and ridiculous. If we have to hire baby sitters for each one of these guys then do it.

mwill people who work in the public eye are, fairly or unfairly, held to a different standard. A regular person would not lose their job over a DUI (depending on the job) because it wouldn't be in the media spotlight.

June 26th, 2012, 7:03 pm
Afghan Allstar

From Detroitlions.com...

Mike O'Hara of Detroitlions.com wrote:
Aaron Berry consumed a few too many in an alcohol-related driving incident that added his name to a police blotter already crowded with the names of his Lions teammates, and it is one more too many for the Lions’ organization to absorb without taking strong action.
Berry has pushed the Lions over their limit on what should be tolerated in terms of player misconduct.

As an organization, the Lions need to take the most drastic action allowable under restrictions of the collective bargaining agreement.

If that means cutting ties with Berry, who took first team reps this offseason, so be it.

His arrest Saturday morning, in his hometown of Harrisburg, Pa., has further shredded the franchise’s public image. It already was in tatters because of five previous arrests of teammates this offseason, along with a punching incident in practice involving Titus Young.

An argument can be made that by cutting Berry, the Lions would be making an example of a player who had the bad timing of being the latest to get in trouble.

But there is a better and more valid argument: by doing nothing, the Lions become the example of what they don’t want to be – an undisciplined franchise rocking out of control.

Berry issued a statement Tuesday that said in part: “I promise to do everything in my power to make sure this never happens again. I understand these are just words and it will be my future actions that ultimately will speak for me.”

It was the kind of contrition expected from a player in trouble.

More revealing, and more alarming to Berry for his future, was the harsh overtone included in the Lions statement:

“This is not the standard of behavior we expect from any member of our organization. We have strongly and repeatedly emphasized the need to be accountable on and off the field, which makes this incident with Aaron all the more disappointing.

“We will have further comments regarding this situation when appropriate.”

One is hard-pressed to find a shred of support or understanding for Berry in the Lions’ statement.

“Haven’t you learned anything?” is the overtone.

Previously, Mikel Leshoure and Nick Fairley had two arrests each. Johnny Culbreath had one.

The NFL already has suspended Leshoure for two games without pay and docked him an additional two game checks. Fairley’s case is going through the legal process. No league action is expected for Culbreath. Young’s punching incident was handled within the organization.

The timing of Berry’s arrest, coming less than two weeks after the end of mini-camp, and previous bad acts of his teammates makes his the worst.

The incidents involving those players and general player conduct was a constant topic at the Lions’ three-day mandatory mini-camp two weeks ago.

Schwartz answered every question head-on, conceding no excuses for bad behavior. The only allowance he gave was that all of the players were rookies in 2011, and young players can learn from mistakes.

After the last practice on June 14, wide receiver Nate Burleson spoke earnestly of the message imparted by veterans as the team dispersed until the start of training camp late next month.

“Obviously, we can’t watch everybody and call them every day,” Burleson said. “Hopefully, they’ve learned that in the offseason, the microscope is bigger.

“Make sure your bases are covered.”

The message obviously didn’t sink in for Berry. Or he didn’t care.

The collective bargaining agreement limits the punishment teams are allowed to hand down on players who get in trouble. In general terms, fines and suspensions are in the hands of the NFL for violations of the league’s policy on substance abuse and personal conduct.

However, the most drastic action – cutting a player – is in the hands of the team at any time.

And in Berry’s case, taking such drastic action is something that has to be given strong consideration by the Lions’ upper management – Owner William Clay Ford, President Tom Lewand, General Manager Martin Mayhew and Schwartz.

Frankly, with so much at stake and so many clear examples in his locker room of how not to behave, Berry had redlined the excuse meter.

June 26th, 2012, 7:22 pm
Position Coach

DisgruntledFan wrote:
At this point I'd almost say go for it, but you can't set a double standard either. Fairly and LeShore deserve it too. Cutting Berry and or Culbreath only says that if you have top tier talent you can get away with anything. I say tell them all they are being benched a min. of 2 or 3 games, or twice as many games as the NFL suspends them. The beauty of that is none of those guys contributed much last season.

This is driving me insane! I don't know what Berry is making but I'd venture to guess that while it's not Stafford or Suh money it sure as hell is more then anyone reading this article and it should be a no brainer to call a FKing cab when you're going out for the night!

It's one thing when you're the average Joe taking the risk with poor judgement when you question how bad you want to spend $30 on a long cab ride and/or have to pick up your car the next day, but when you make hundreds of thousands of dollars, and your livelihood depends on you being ON THE FIELD during the season, how is this even something you'd consider?! Wanna show off with your "blinged out" SUV on 26" rims at da club? Take a damn stretch limo instead!

I'd seriously like to know how much the teams can punish someone above and beyond the NFL's discipline. Can they be fined by the team?

Can you convert a large chuck of salary to a workout bonus that requires MANDATORY off season attendance? Like a $500,000 workout bonus which will be voided if you are not showing up at facilities to work out from the start of OTAs til training camp?

Something needs to happen here though. Bill Ford Jr. needs to get Mayhew, Schwartz, and the ENTIRE team in the same room and explicitly tell them that this is THE END of this bullisht. Start a 3 strikes and you're cut policy, tell them they will be benched for 3 games min. or twice the time the NFL suspends them, figure out a way to keep them IN DETROIT (ironically I'm calling Detroit a place that's safer and an environment where they could get into less trouble!) in the workout facilities and likewise get them out there visiting hospitals, going to charity events, etc and while you're at it send the whole damn team to Anger Management and AA meetings just as a safety measure! This HAS to stop.

i agree with everything you said but i wonder what schwatz said to the team about future infractions when he addressed the team last month. also, im 99% sure that the nfl has a car service at the disposal of the players FOR FREE

June 26th, 2012, 8:57 pm
Team MVP

Killwill25 wrote:
DisgruntledFan wrote:

i agree with everything you said but i wonder what schwatz said to the team about future infractions when he addressed the team last month. also, im 99% sure that the nfl has a car service at the disposal of the players FOR FREE

If they do, do you think theyre smart enough to utilize that? Heck no.

April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.

Lionbacker2 Fantasy Champion 2011

June 27th, 2012, 8:32 am
QB Coach

They actually just changed that program. Some teams got rid of it entirely and some still have it but now you have to pay for it. Even still, players tend to ignore it's availability.

June 27th, 2012, 9:31 am
Again, I don't think Schwartz/Mayhew have control over this team, and I don't think they discipline and educate their players properly. This crap doesn't happen on the Giants, Patriots, etc. Tennesee was a notorious "thug" team when Schwartz was down there, and he brought that garbage up here with him.

Like I said, IMO Schwartz may be the guy to get us close, but we may have to bring someone else in to get us over the hump. I don't like the leadership he exudes by example, and I don't like his sideline BS. I don't like that he fails to "get it" in press conferences after games and makes excuses for his players, and I don't like that he doesn't chew his players out when they do something stupid.

I'm happy that the pair made the team better, but it may be time for some real professionals to come in and take the reigns.

June 27th, 2012, 12:35 pm
RIP Killer

wjb21ndtown wrote:
Again, I don't think Schwartz/Mayhew have control over this team, and I don't think they discipline and educate their players properly. This crap doesn't happen on the Giants, Patriots, etc. Tennesee was a notorious "thug" team when Schwartz was down there, and he brought that garbage up here with him.

Like I said, IMO Schwartz may be the guy to get us close, but we may have to bring someone else in to get us over the hump. I don't like the leadership he exudes by example, and I don't like his sideline BS. I don't like that he fails to "get it" in press conferences after games and makes excuses for his players, and I don't like that he doesn't chew his players out when they do something stupid.

I'm happy that the pair made the team better, but it may be time for some real professionals to come in and take the reigns.

QB's take awhile to get it, and so do head coaches. After all the years of futility, the team turns it around and gets a double digit win season - makes the playoffs - and it is time to dump the coach. WOW!

As for the Giants, guess you didn't see the recent post on David Diehl

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=15895

You've got constant drama with Osi and Coughlin has often been close to losing his job. We don't pay as much attention to them because they aren't our team and certainly wouldn't give notice if a UFA non-starter got a DUI there. They also made a dumb move and lost TE Jake Ballard to the Pats. Every team has its issues, these are young men who just came into millions afterall, we obviously pay a lot more attention to our team.

June 27th, 2012, 12:51 pm
Profile WWW
Pablo wrote:
wjb21ndtown wrote:

QB's take awhile to get it, and so do head coaches. After all the years of futility, the team turns it around and gets a double digit win season - makes the playoffs - and it is time to dump the coach. WOW!

As for the Giants, guess you didn't see the recent post on David Diehl

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=15895

You've got constant drama with Osi and Coughlin has often been close to losing his job. We don't pay as much attention to them because they aren't our team and certainly wouldn't give notice if a UFA non-starter got a DUI there. They also made a dumb move and lost TE Jake Ballard to the Pats. Every team has its issues, these are young men who just came into millions afterall, we obviously pay a lot more attention to our team.

I don't think coaches can go back and "get it." Once you lose control over a team you can't get them back through proper discipline. Once you've shown yourself to be a disrespectful jackass you can't go back and demand respect. It just flat out doesn't work.

As far as Diehl, it happens. Even disciplined teams have issues here and there, but not blow up outbursts on the field, players shoving referees, players stomping on other players heads, and when a disciplined team has an "issue" the coach doesn't sit in front of the media and make excuses for the behavior. Schwartz is a classless reject, period, and I don't think he's going to be the one to take this team to a SB victory.

June 27th, 2012, 12:57 pm
Reply to topic   [ 83 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next