View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently April 18th, 2014, 3:29 pm

Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
 Most Americans Believe Government Keeps UFO Secrets, Survey 
RIP Killer

Post Most Americans Believe Government Keeps UFO Secrets, Survey
Honestly, people believe in anything... Why do we humans have such a limited grasp on reality? For the life of me I can't figure my fellow humans out!

Quote:
Most Americans Believe Government Keeps UFO Secrets, Survey Finds
Either Americans don't trust their government, or they have a lot of respect for aliens' stealthiness.

Thirty-six percent of Americans think aliens have visited Earth, and almost 80 percent believe the government has kept information about UFOs a secret from the public, a new survey finds.

The survey, conducted ahead of National Geographic's new series Chasing UFOs, asked 1,100 Americans 18 and older for their extraterrestrial opinions.

[Photos: Spectacular Snapshots of Space]

As it turns out, the idea of aliens and UFOs isn't that farfetched to most Americans.

Here are some of the survey's most surprising findings:

-More than three quarters (77 percent) of those surveyed believe there are signs that aliens have visited Earth, and over half (55 percent) think Men in Black-style agents threaten those who report seeing them.

-More than a third (36 percent) believe aliens have already visited.

-Eighty percent believe the government has hidden information on UFOs from the public.

-Nearly two thirds (65 percent) think President Obama would be a better leader than Mitt Romney if an alien invasion were to happen.

-When it comes to superheroes, 21 percent think the Hulk would be their first call in an invasion, 12 percent would call Batman, and 8 percent say Spider-Man's their guy.

-In the event of an invasion, the respondents themselves would leave the fighting to superheroes and presidents, it seems--about a fourth said they would try to befriend the aliens, 13 percent said they would hide indoors, and just 5 percent said they'd try to "inflict bodily harm" on the invaders.

-Just 17 percent of those polled did not belive in UFOs; about half said they were unsure.

Disclaimer - now that said, with the billions and billions of galaxies out there I don't doubt that some forms of alien life exist somewhere out there - I just don't think they are bothering with the 3rd rock from our sun.

June 28th, 2012, 2:19 pm
Profile WWW
Modmin Dude

Post Re: Most Americans Believe Government Keeps UFO Secrets, Sur
Pablo wrote:
Honestly, people believe in anything... Why do we humans have such a limited grasp on reality? For the life of me I can't figure my fellow humans out![/size]
What part(s) are you having difficulty believing? That UFOs might be real? Or that the Govt would try to keep them secret?
Yes, I read your disclaimer

Joe Fauria, MVP!

June 28th, 2012, 2:25 pm
RIP Killer

TheRealWags wrote:
Pablo wrote:
Honestly, people believe in anything... Why do we humans have such a limited grasp on reality? For the life of me I can't figure my fellow humans out![/size]
What part(s) are you having difficulty believing? That UFOs might be real? Or that the Govt would try to keep them secret?

Both. I don't think UFOs are real, and therefore I don't think the Gov't is keeping them a secret.

June 28th, 2012, 2:34 pm
Profile WWW
Modmin Dude

Pablo wrote:
TheRealWags wrote:
Pablo wrote:
Both. I don't think UFOs are real, and therefore I don't think the Gov't is keeping them a secret.
Not to nitpick, but I don't think that's entirely accurate:
Quote:
Disclaimer - now that said, with the billions and billions of galaxies out there I don't doubt that some forms of alien life exist somewhere out there - I just don't think they are bothering with the 3rd rock from our sun.
It sounds as if you do, indeed, believe that aliens / UFOs exist somewhere, just not that they haven't made it to our galaxy, or at least our part of it. :P

That being said, I, myself, have changed my stance / opinion on this subject many times over the years; ultimately I just don't know.

I do know that I personally witnessed an Unidentified Flying Object over the waters between Michigan & Sarnia, Canada over 20 years ago. I do know that I don't trust my govt very much. I do know that if you're playing the 'odds' then other creatures surely should exist elsewhere in our vast Universe / Multiverse (whichever it is).

As for the UFO I witnessed: It 'looked' like an airplane, hovered like a helicopter, made no sound whatsoever, and traveled very fast. Could it have been from nearby Selfridge ANGB? Sure; it 'could' have been a Harrier, but those make LOTS and LOTS of noise. There's lots of things it 'could' be, ultimately I don't know and likely never will.

Joe Fauria, MVP!

June 28th, 2012, 2:54 pm
RIP Killer

You can believe that an alien life form exist elsewhere but UFO's haven't invaded our skies. That is where logic leads me.

Like other a few other things, I used to think there was a good chance that UFO's did indeed exist (Close Encounters had a big impact on me as a child). I've read tons of UFO books, but IMO the lack of any real tangible evidence leads me to believe they are a figment of our over active immaginations.

Everything is now caught on video, there would be some pretty damn good footage out there by now coupled with physical evidence if we have been visited by ETs.

June 28th, 2012, 3:03 pm
Profile WWW
League MVP

Im with Pablo.

Mold on Mars counts as alien life. I absolutely belive that life exists elswhere. I do not beleive that little green men came to earth, hung out, and left again without so much as a wisper heard from them ever agin.

Whats the reasoning for that? where is the logic? I dont see any. If UFO's of the alien variety came to earth it would be for a reason and they'd STILL be here.

June 28th, 2012, 3:32 pm
Mr. Irrelevant

I can't tell you whether this is alien or not, what I can tell you is I saw this exact thing in 2005...

http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?desktop_ur ... lFTg&gl=US

June 28th, 2012, 6:06 pm
RIP Killer

Personally, I believe that life does exist elsewhere, and I also believe that there is a good chance they may have found a way to visit us. Too many things I've seen not yet explained that seem to indicate just that. And there is absolutely no doubt in my mind that if that visitation has occurred, the government is taking every measure possible to cover it up.

Tommy Lee Jones said it best in the movie Men in Black. A person is smart, but people are stupid. If a large number of people on Earth found out suddenly there was life with higher intelligence than us with the capability to get here, one can only begin to imagine the fallout from that. Just look at what people did when Orson Wells performed War of the Worlds on the radio. People killed themselves, barracaded themselves into their homes and storm cellars, and in some cases were out trying to hunt down the alien life.

Humans love to entertain the notion that they are the superior life form in the entire universe. Finding out they aren't would be traumatic for many, many people. Even if it were to turn out that the alien life was friendly and intended nothing but good things for us.

On a side note, I finally saw the movie Prometheus yesterday. Not quite what I expected, but pretty good overall. See it in 3D.

June 28th, 2012, 9:17 pm
Modmin Dude

m2karateman wrote:
Personally, I believe that life does exist elsewhere, and I also believe that there is a good chance they may have found a way to visit us. Too many things I've seen not yet explained that seem to indicate just that. And there is absolutely no doubt in my mind that if that visitation has occurred, the government is taking every measure possible to cover it up.

Tommy Lee Jones said it best in the movie Men in Black. A person is smart, but people are stupid. If a large number of people on Earth found out suddenly there was life with higher intelligence than us with the capability to get here, one can only begin to imagine the fallout from that. Just look at what people did when Orson Wells performed War of the Worlds on the radio. People killed themselves, barracaded themselves into their homes and storm cellars, and in some cases were out trying to hunt down the alien life.

Humans love to entertain the notion that they are the superior life form in the entire universe. Finding out they aren't would be traumatic for many, many people. Even if it were to turn out that the alien life was friendly and intended nothing but good things for us.
Pretty much sums up my thoughts on it.

Joe Fauria, MVP!

June 29th, 2012, 9:47 am
Reply to topic   [ 9 posts ]