View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently November 23rd, 2014, 3:08 pm



Reply to topic  [ 190 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 13  Next
 6 Days = 15+ Billion Years. The Genesis Code. 
Author Message
RIP Killer
User avatar

Joined: October 20th, 2004, 4:16 pm
Posts: 9940
Location: Where ever I'm at now
Post Re: 6 Days = 15+ Billion Years. The Genesis Code.
Science can explain many things, but certainly doesn't begin to explain everything.

For instance...Big Bang Theory. Science explains that long ago an explosion took place that created the universe. The universe continues to expand today as a result of that explosion.

OK, fine. What caused that explosion? And what created the particles that caused the explosion? That remains unexplained.

Over the centuries science has often been certain it had the facts, when in reality they did not. Modern science still has trouble how a frail man (Ed Leedskainin) put together Coral Castle. This was one man in the 1920s, using nothing but crude implements that carved and moved over 1000 tons of coral. To this day, physicists and modern engineers can't explain how he did it.

Theories change. Scientific facts are often proven to be incorrect or inconclusive.

_________________
I will not put on blinders when it comes to our QBs performances.


June 29th, 2012, 9:54 am
Profile
QB Coach
User avatar

Joined: August 21st, 2005, 3:36 am
Posts: 3145
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Post Re: 6 Days = 15+ Billion Years. The Genesis Code.
m2karateman wrote:
Science can explain many things, but certainly doesn't begin to explain everything.

For instance...Big Bang Theory. Science explains that long ago an explosion took place that created the universe. The universe continues to expand today as a result of that explosion.

OK, fine. What caused that explosion? And what created the particles that caused the explosion? That remains unexplained.

Over the centuries science has often been certain it had the facts, when in reality they did not. Modern science still has trouble how a frail man (Ed Leedskainin) put together Coral Castle. This was one man in the 1920s, using nothing but crude implements that carved and moved over 1000 tons of coral. To this day, physicists and modern engineers can't explain how he did it.

Theories change. Scientific facts are often proven to be incorrect or inconclusive.

Of course. That's the nature of the scientific theory. Test, research, analyze, etc. The fact that science has proven what were thought to be truths as incorrect shows the validity of the process. Science doesn't say "this is the truth, no more questions". It says, here is what we think is true based on what we know today, but we're going to keep researching and trying to prove definitively that this is either 1. in fact true, or 2. false and then we'll keep searching to try to find what the ultimate truth is.

Scientists regularly admit that today there are many, many things we don't know. I've heard the figure 4% referenced many times for the amount of the universe we actually know. But that 4% is still a lot. Of course there is a lot more yet to be discovered, but think about what we know today that we once did not (and largely was attributed to God):

- the tides
- the sun and planets
- the fact that the planets do indeed move, and the details of the movement of the solar system
- weather events
etc. (this list could go on for a long time)

My point is that there always have been unexplained phenomena. There are literally hundreds and thousands of things today that can now be explained that previously could not, and in the future science will no doubt explain even more. The fact that there are still unexplained things isn't an indictment of science. It's just part of the process.

_________________
"Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence." - John Adams

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.” - Neil deGrasse Tyson


June 29th, 2012, 10:10 am
Profile
QB Coach
User avatar

Joined: October 26th, 2005, 11:48 pm
Posts: 3039
Location: Elkhart, In.
Post Re: 6 Days = 15+ Billion Years. The Genesis Code.
I've heard about the Coral Castle, and I wonder if there is a possibility that it was demonic. Not that demons did the building, but they inspired the build and provided the muscle. Yes I know this sounds like a cop out, but doesn't this POTENTIAL theory deserve as much creedence as any other? Have we exhausted all other possibilities for how it happened? It is also my understanding that the CC has numerous astrological references, and sundials, and key holes that line up with certain planets and certain times.

There are even stories and jokes about selling your soul to the devil in order to gain: money, fame, women, whatever your hearts desire, but that can't be substantiated either unless someone admits to it.

Keep in mind this is a theory, and not meant as a cop out to explain the unexplainable, but it COULD be true too right?

When there isn't yet enough information, they offer what the current evidence seems to suggest, with the caveat that it is still being investigated/researched. There is no part of that that offers or requires belief.

I used to be a big fan of National Geographic, I still get the magazine but don't have the show on cable. Anyway, between that and Mutual of Omaha, the OLD versions, I loved looking at all of those shows and learning something.

But let me ask you how many times you've heard an archeologist say, "We BELIEVE, that ........................." There are so many gaps and so much time has gone by, that it's like putting a puzzle together and all you can get is the outline. You may find a piece here, and a piece there but until all the pieces are there and whole, you can't truly see the picture.

With the Christian faith, God said he did this, and that, and there's the picture. Yes a lot of things get lost in translation, yes Scripture is personal and different based upon perspective (that's why its called the Living Word) but it gives a fairly accurate description of how things came about.

However, MAN is the one who has put timelines on things. Scripture says that a day to the Lord is LIKE a thousand years, not IS a thousand years. We mortals misinterpret and make judgments based on our perspectives, or what we perceive to be the truth. But fast forward to the NT and you have Jesus saying, "I am the way, the truth, and the life, no approaches the Father except through me." (My paraphrase). As I have said from the start, we can keep looking backwards, and worrying about the stones, and the bones and stuff, but my hearts desire is that y'all would pay attention to the approaching cliff!

I can't change you, your thinking, or your belief structure, but I can carry you in prayer to the one who can reveal himself to you, so that you will know what I say is true. Jesus loves you, and wants you/everyone to know him intimately, like a brother. That's the important part, the future not the past.

I'll keep praying, and TDJ, thanks for your input, I'll check the video out later. Is this the same guy who is a very pronounced Christian at NASA and is virtually being drummed out of his position because of his beliefs? There is also the #3 astro scientist in the country, who is a professor at a major university who is a very pronounced Christian that has either been demoted, or fired because of his beliefs, and the proof that he's generated to back it up, which flies in the face of modern science, so they stifle him. I can't remember his name, but he's been interviewed and it was sad to hear the information that he has, but is being forced to keep his mouth shut, because he's a Christian.

_________________
2 Chronicles 10:14, "if my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land."


June 29th, 2012, 10:22 am
Profile
RIP Killer
User avatar

Joined: August 6th, 2004, 9:21 am
Posts: 9517
Location: Dallas
Post Re: 6 Days = 15+ Billion Years. The Genesis Code.
m2karateman wrote:
Science can explain many things, but certainly doesn't begin to explain everything.

For instance...Big Bang Theory. Science explains that long ago an explosion took place that created the universe. The universe continues to expand today as a result of that explosion.

OK, fine. What caused that explosion? And what created the particles that caused the explosion? That remains unexplained.

Over the centuries science has often been certain it had the facts, when in reality they did not. Modern science still has trouble how a frail man (Ed Leedskainin) put together Coral Castle. This was one man in the 1920s, using nothing but crude implements that carved and moved over 1000 tons of coral. To this day, physicists and modern engineers can't explain how he did it.

Theories change. Scientific facts are often proven to be incorrect or inconclusive.


There are theories that point to the cause of the Big Bang, quite frankly they are beyond me to comprehend and explain. Science doesn't claim to have all the answers, but more questions are answered everyday. As in life, many times when you get an answer you get another question.

Religion, on-the-other-hand, does claim to have the answers. The question is whether you buy them or not. Honestly, I've never understood why believers bring up the Big Bang but don't question how God came into being which would be a much greater mystery in my mind. Many accept, he has always been, much easier than trying to understand the science thining for the creation for the universe.

As Touchdown Jesus pointed out, science has solved many mysteries that were previously attributed to God since they couldn't be explained. Science has also proven many statements in the Bible to be false but as I've pointed out before religion then "reinterprets" those statements.

WE4C wrote:
I'll keep praying, and TDJ, thanks for your input, I'll check the video out later. Is this the same guy who is a very pronounced Christian at NASA and is virtually being drummed out of his position because of his beliefs? There is also the #3 astro scientist in the country, who is a professor at a major university who is a very pronounced Christian that has either been demoted, or fired because of his beliefs, and the proof that he's generated to back it up, which flies in the face of modern science, so they stifle him. I can't remember his name, but he's been interviewed and it was sad to hear the information that he has, but is being forced to keep his mouth shut, because he's a Christian.


These are pretty vague references here, however, if you would like to see many specific examples of how the Church stiffled scientist over the ages who they felt threatened by because their findings directly discredited statements in the Bible I'd be happy to start posting them. I'd also be happy to start naming many of the various groups that have been decimated because they lacked Christian faith if you would like?

_________________
Image
LB Tweet


June 29th, 2012, 10:38 am
Profile WWW
QB Coach
User avatar

Joined: October 26th, 2005, 11:48 pm
Posts: 3039
Location: Elkhart, In.
Post Re: 6 Days = 15+ Billion Years. The Genesis Code.
Pablo: I've heard it said that when the devil tries to remind you of your past, remind him of his future. I'm sure you have pages upon pages, or links upon links of how men, Christian men at that, did it WRONG, but that means nothing to me now. I say it means nothing, because: 1. I didn't do it, 2. I didn't live at that time, 3. it hasn't necessarily affected my life, 4. I can only be held accountable for my actions, and so on.

What I find interesting is that although these occurrences happened, it was usually done under the authority of the church. Which for the most part was the Holy Roman Church, which decided shortly after the 1st century that commmon man was no longer capable of understanding the "Word" so they regulated it. It was a power and money grab, and it continues to this day in the Catholic faith. But it's gone on from there and affected every Christian denomination in some way. Let me put it like this, where you have fallen man involved, sin will be present.

Having said that, in the age of enlightenment, when so many people are looking for "proof" a man who happens to be a Christian and a professor is gagged, because he's not teaching the approved truth. So you can pull up your mountains of info, but I was seriously asking whether or not this was that man. No vagueness meant.

_________________
2 Chronicles 10:14, "if my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land."


June 29th, 2012, 1:12 pm
Profile
QB Coach
User avatar

Joined: August 21st, 2005, 3:36 am
Posts: 3145
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Post Re: 6 Days = 15+ Billion Years. The Genesis Code.
WarEr4Christ wrote:
I've heard about the Coral Castle, and I wonder if there is a possibility that it was demonic. Not that demons did the building, but they inspired the build and provided the muscle. Yes I know this sounds like a cop out, but doesn't this POTENTIAL theory deserve as much creedence as any other? Have we exhausted all other possibilities for how it happened? It is also my understanding that the CC has numerous astrological references, and sundials, and key holes that line up with certain planets and certain times.

There are even stories and jokes about selling your soul to the devil in order to gain: money, fame, women, whatever your hearts desire, but that can't be substantiated either unless someone admits to it.

Keep in mind this is a theory, and not meant as a cop out to explain the unexplainable, but it COULD be true too right?

When there isn't yet enough information, they offer what the current evidence seems to suggest, with the caveat that it is still being investigated/researched. There is no part of that that offers or requires belief.

I used to be a big fan of National Geographic, I still get the magazine but don't have the show on cable. Anyway, between that and Mutual of Omaha, the OLD versions, I loved looking at all of those shows and learning something.

But let me ask you how many times you've heard an archeologist say, "We BELIEVE, that ........................." There are so many gaps and so much time has gone by, that it's like putting a puzzle together and all you can get is the outline. You may find a piece here, and a piece there but until all the pieces are there and whole, you can't truly see the picture.

With the Christian faith, God said he did this, and that, and there's the picture. Yes a lot of things get lost in translation, yes Scripture is personal and different based upon perspective (that's why its called the Living Word) but it gives a fairly accurate description of how things came about.

However, MAN is the one who has put timelines on things. Scripture says that a day to the Lord is LIKE a thousand years, not IS a thousand years. We mortals misinterpret and make judgments based on our perspectives, or what we perceive to be the truth. But fast forward to the NT and you have Jesus saying, "I am the way, the truth, and the life, no approaches the Father except through me." (My paraphrase). As I have said from the start, we can keep looking backwards, and worrying about the stones, and the bones and stuff, but my hearts desire is that y'all would pay attention to the approaching cliff!

I can't change you, your thinking, or your belief structure, but I can carry you in prayer to the one who can reveal himself to you, so that you will know what I say is true. Jesus loves you, and wants you/everyone to know him intimately, like a brother. That's the important part, the future not the past.

I'll keep praying, and TDJ, thanks for your input, I'll check the video out later. Is this the same guy who is a very pronounced Christian at NASA and is virtually being drummed out of his position because of his beliefs? There is also the #3 astro scientist in the country, who is a professor at a major university who is a very pronounced Christian that has either been demoted, or fired because of his beliefs, and the proof that he's generated to back it up, which flies in the face of modern science, so they stifle him. I can't remember his name, but he's been interviewed and it was sad to hear the information that he has, but is being forced to keep his mouth shut, because he's a Christian.

I'll write a more complete response later, but in short, no that is definitely not the guy I'm talking about. Neil Tyson DeGrasse is a noted athiest and has spoken at length about that. So no, he's not a christian at NASA. I'll write more later.

_________________
"Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence." - John Adams

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.” - Neil deGrasse Tyson


June 29th, 2012, 1:19 pm
Profile
RIP Killer
User avatar

Joined: August 6th, 2004, 9:21 am
Posts: 9517
Location: Dallas
Post Re: 6 Days = 15+ Billion Years. The Genesis Code.
WarEr4Christ wrote:
Pablo: I've heard it said that when the devil tries to remind you of your past, remind him of his future. I'm sure you have pages upon pages, or links upon links of how men, Christian men at that, did it WRONG, but that means nothing to me now. I say it means nothing, because: 1. I didn't do it, 2. I didn't live at that time, 3. it hasn't necessarily affected my life, 4. I can only be held accountable for my actions, and so on.

What I find interesting is that although these occurrences happened, it was usually done under the authority of the church. Which for the most part was the Holy Roman Church, which decided shortly after the 1st century that commmon man was no longer capable of understanding the "Word" so they regulated it. It was a power and money grab, and it continues to this day in the Catholic faith. But it's gone on from there and affected every Christian denomination in some way. Let me put it like this, where you have fallen man involved, sin will be present.

Having said that, in the age of enlightenment, when so many people are looking for "proof" a man who happens to be a Christian and a professor is gagged, because he's not teaching the approved truth. So you can pull up your mountains of info, but I was seriously asking whether or not this was that man. No vagueness meant.


This still happens everyday my friend. Let me ask you a simple question - who do you think is distrusted more - an Atheist or a Christian? Who do you think it discriminated more after expressing thier beliefs? How many Christians have been elected president and how many Atheist?

You point out one or two vague references to a situation where a Christian may or may not have been "stiffiled" at work, that is laughable given what non-Christian's have to deal with all the time.

Your friend might say the Devil tries to remind you of your past, that is probably because your friend has done some pretty bad things in his past he would like to forget. Actually, the Devil tries to fool people, by focusing on one or two cases of discrimination and ingnoring tens of thousands of cases sounds like the Devil hard at work to me. I would bet (if I thought he actually existed) he is smiling down on us right now.

Edit - just saw TJ's post, looks like he was an Athiest so I'm guessing you don't have as big of a problem with it.

_________________
Image
LB Tweet


June 29th, 2012, 2:29 pm
Profile WWW
QB Coach
User avatar

Joined: October 26th, 2005, 11:48 pm
Posts: 3039
Location: Elkhart, In.
Post Re: 6 Days = 15+ Billion Years. The Genesis Code.
Am I missing something, are the words that I am typing not coming out clearly? Can they be read easily, or are thye wobbly like a internet security window?

You are asking me to answer a loaded question, you already have the answer, and dare I say Christian without being lambasted. My point to you and TDJ was that in looking backwards at what "the Church" did or what Christianity did, you need to keep in mind who you are speaking about. FALLEN MAN. Men who profess to have a faith, but the fruits didn't match the tree. Looking backwards I can see in my own life the hypocrisy of my actions. I don't need to but it you'd care for me to list these moments for you, I guess I can if it will help. I know my failures and if I have them, so does anyone else that walks on two legs.

I asked a question about the man in the video, because I knew of a Professor who had done some amazing research and teaching in Astronomy but was "passed over" without reason, and it became obvious that it was because of his faith. I didn't know if that was the guy, but I tried to identify him via the description. Now you are taking it to a whole other level, ensuring that I understand how evil the church is, and how hypocritical it is. News flash, I KNOW! You of all people in this forum should know that I have tried very hard as of late to refer people to Jesus, not myself. I can't speak for other denominations, or faiths, or people, I can only share my experiences and how the Lord has ministered in my life. But it appears that this too is becoming a stumbling block, so maybe I should let this one lay too!

Oh for your info here is a link, and a name of two particular Scientists and professors, one of which I was talking about from U of K.

http://personalliberty.com/2012/06/22/p ... nge-fired/

Martin Gaskel University of Kentucky Astronomy Department

_________________
2 Chronicles 10:14, "if my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land."


June 29th, 2012, 3:03 pm
Profile
QB Coach
User avatar

Joined: August 21st, 2005, 3:36 am
Posts: 3145
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Post Re: 6 Days = 15+ Billion Years. The Genesis Code.
WarEr4Christ wrote:
I've heard about the Coral Castle, and I wonder if there is a possibility that it was demonic. Not that demons did the building, but they inspired the build and provided the muscle. Yes I know this sounds like a cop out, but doesn't this POTENTIAL theory deserve as much creedence as any other? Have we exhausted all other possibilities for how it happened? It is also my understanding that the CC has numerous astrological references, and sundials, and key holes that line up with certain planets and certain times.

There are even stories and jokes about selling your soul to the devil in order to gain: money, fame, women, whatever your hearts desire, but that can't be substantiated either unless someone admits to it.

Keep in mind this is a theory, and not meant as a cop out to explain the unexplainable, but it COULD be true too right?

When there isn't yet enough information, they offer what the current evidence seems to suggest, with the caveat that it is still being investigated/researched. There is no part of that that offers or requires belief.

I used to be a big fan of National Geographic, I still get the magazine but don't have the show on cable. Anyway, between that and Mutual of Omaha, the OLD versions, I loved looking at all of those shows and learning something.

But let me ask you how many times you've heard an archeologist say, "We BELIEVE, that ........................." There are so many gaps and so much time has gone by, that it's like putting a puzzle together and all you can get is the outline. You may find a piece here, and a piece there but until all the pieces are there and whole, you can't truly see the picture.

With the Christian faith, God said he did this, and that, and there's the picture. Yes a lot of things get lost in translation, yes Scripture is personal and different based upon perspective (that's why its called the Living Word) but it gives a fairly accurate description of how things came about.

However, MAN is the one who has put timelines on things. Scripture says that a day to the Lord is LIKE a thousand years, not IS a thousand years. We mortals misinterpret and make judgments based on our perspectives, or what we perceive to be the truth. But fast forward to the NT and you have Jesus saying, "I am the way, the truth, and the life, no approaches the Father except through me." (My paraphrase). As I have said from the start, we can keep looking backwards, and worrying about the stones, and the bones and stuff, but my hearts desire is that y'all would pay attention to the approaching cliff!

I can't change you, your thinking, or your belief structure, but I can carry you in prayer to the one who can reveal himself to you, so that you will know what I say is true. Jesus loves you, and wants you/everyone to know him intimately, like a brother. That's the important part, the future not the past.

I'll keep praying, and TDJ, thanks for your input, I'll check the video out later. Is this the same guy who is a very pronounced Christian at NASA and is virtually being drummed out of his position because of his beliefs? There is also the #3 astro scientist in the country, who is a professor at a major university who is a very pronounced Christian that has either been demoted, or fired because of his beliefs, and the proof that he's generated to back it up, which flies in the face of modern science, so they stifle him. I can't remember his name, but he's been interviewed and it was sad to hear the information that he has, but is being forced to keep his mouth shut, because he's a Christian.

Ok now I have some time to go over this and respond. I'll go one by one:

WarEr4Christ wrote:
But let me ask you how many times you've heard an archeologist say, "We BELIEVE, that ........................."

This is really just semantics. When someone uses the word believe in this context, it is not a statement of belief (as in faith). It is a statement of what they think the answer is based on the facts they have uncovered to date. It's just simpler to say that. I use the word all the time to refer to something that I think is correct, but can't remember exactly. It's not a statement of belief. You're talking about the difference between being unsure of exactly what something is ("I believe the answer is 4") and having a belief in something ("I believe in Jesus").

WarEr4Christ wrote:
Is this the same guy who is a very pronounced Christian at NASA and is virtually being drummed out of his position because of his beliefs?

Not it is not the same guy. The guy you're referring to is David Coppedge, and saying he is being drummed out because of his beliefs may be a stretch. He has sued NASA saying that's why he's being let go, but his coworkers and management have said that he's very difficult to work with, won't take direction, and basically always does what he wants, how he wants, instead of working nicely with others. Obviously I'm not there and don't know all the details, but it certainly is more complicated than simply saying his views cost him his job.

WarEr4Christ wrote:
There is also the #3 astro scientist in the country, who is a professor at a major university who is a very pronounced Christian that has either been demoted, or fired because of his beliefs, and the proof that he's generated to back it up, which flies in the face of modern science, so they stifle him.

I think you've got things a little mixed up on Dr. Gaskell (also the link you posted doesn't go to link about him). The story you're referring to wasn't one of him being a professor and being silenced. He was a professor at one school (Texas I believe) and applied to another at the University of Kentucky, and was turned down largely due to his beliefs. He sued and won. I believe (see, this isn't a belief in faith, it is just my opinion based on the facts I've found) he was correct. He is a noted astronomer and the quality of his work has been very high, so he was certainly qualified for the job. However, he hasn't found proof that backs up a view that "flies in the face of modern science". He has offered his theories of how the bible and science are related. In his own words, he rejects the young earth theory (God created earth in 6 days), as well as the idea that the bible is irrelevant to the creation of the earth. In my opinion, he makes statements which I do not entirely agree with, but are generally reasonable. For example, he says the following:

The main controversy has been between people at the two extremes (young earth creationists and humanistic evolutionists). “Creationists” attack the science of “evolutionists”. I believe that this sort of attack is very bad both scientifically and theologically. The “scientific” explanations offered by “creationists” are mostly very poor science and I believe this sort of thing actually hinders some (many?) scientists becoming Christians. It is true that there are significant scientific problems in evolutionary theory (a good thing or else many biologists and geologists would be out of a job) and that these problems are bigger than is usually made out in introductory geology/biology courses, but the real problem with humanistic evolution is in the unwarranted atheistic assumptions and extrapolations. It is the latter that “creationists” should really be attacking (many books do, in fact, attack these unwarranted assumptions and extrapolations).

He also mentions the idea that things do happen as science has described, but God can intervene as he wishes. This could be true. None of us know that for sure. Again, I don't necessarily agree, but it's not an unreasonable position.

Anyway, the point is that your characterization of him was not completely accurate. Also, he hasn't exactly been gagged. Per his own website, today he is "an astrophysics professor in the Departmento de Física y Astronomía of the University of Valparaíso (UV), Chile." This may not be a prominent as UK, but he hasn't been gagged. He's still teaching.

My point in posting all this is that things are neither as simple nor as bad as you're making them out to be. Sure, there are instances where people are legitimately discriminated against due to their religion, and those cases are generally taken to court and the plaintiff wins (or settles in the case of Dr. Gaskell). But Christians are hardly being persecuted or anything like that. Think of it this way: how many prominent athiests are there in positions of power in the US? I don't know of many, if any. Now, how many prominent Christians are there in positions of power? Hundreds, if not thousands. That alone shows you that there isn't real persecution happening.

_________________
"Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence." - John Adams

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.” - Neil deGrasse Tyson


July 1st, 2012, 3:34 pm
Profile
QB Coach
User avatar

Joined: October 26th, 2005, 11:48 pm
Posts: 3039
Location: Elkhart, In.
Post Re: 6 Days = 15+ Billion Years. The Genesis Code.
TDJ: Thanks for your indepth input, and I do believe that this can be boiled down to perspective. Persecution takes on a different meaning for those involved, and it goes back to the relevancy of truth.

On a side note, I just read this, this morning and I thought that since we were discussing science it kind of fit here. If not, feel free to move it.

Scottish Man, the grandson of eve?

Ian Kinnaird is a retired 72-year-old lecturer from Scotland. Even he admits he's led an 'unremarkable life.' That is, until scientists from the Britain's DNA project recently informed him that a genetic marker inherited from his mother made him "the grandfather of everyone in Britain." The scientists told Kinnaird that the mitochondrial DNA from his mother's lineage was 30,000 years old, and just two genetic mutations removed from the first woman — Eve. Yes, that Eve. The project has tested 2,000 Britons thus far with the aim of mapping the U.K.'s "family tree."

_________________
2 Chronicles 10:14, "if my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land."


July 2nd, 2012, 7:31 am
Profile
Play by Play Announcer - Al Michaels

Joined: October 15th, 2005, 9:00 am
Posts: 1839
Location: Greensboro, NC
Post Re: 6 Days = 15+ Billion Years. The Genesis Code.
The science community's use of the name "Eve" doesn't refer to the Biblical character. Here's a relatively easy-to-understand account of what they mean when they use the name "Eve."

http://www.virginia.edu/woodson/courses/aas102%20%28spring%2001%29/articles/tierney.html

_________________
Proud member of the Contract Extension for Schwartz Fan Club.


July 2nd, 2012, 12:23 pm
Profile
QB Coach
User avatar

Joined: October 26th, 2005, 11:48 pm
Posts: 3039
Location: Elkhart, In.
Post Re: 6 Days = 15+ Billion Years. The Genesis Code.
MWill, I thought the article was pretty clear about who they were talking about.

The scientists told Kinnaird that the mitochondrial DNA from his mother's lineage was 30,000 years old, and just two genetic mutations removed from the first woman — Eve. Yes, that Eve.

If I understand correctly, it was the mitochondrial DNA that proved humans come from an original set of parents, and this mDNA is generally found in the mother's DNA chain.

_________________
2 Chronicles 10:14, "if my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land."


July 2nd, 2012, 1:14 pm
Profile
Hall of Fame Player
User avatar

Joined: May 7th, 2005, 3:25 pm
Posts: 7483
Location: Earth/Sagittarius Dwarf Galaxy
Post Re: 6 Days = 15+ Billion Years. The Genesis Code.
Someone call the department of transportation. This thread has been completely derailed.

Did I miss something? What on Earth does Meteors bearing Nickel, and Coral Castle, and about 2 or 3 other topics of discussion in this thread have anything to do with the original subject matter?

This kind of derailment would not be allowed in any other thread. There's 4 pages of content completely unrelated to the subject of the thread.


July 2nd, 2012, 10:08 pm
Profile
Hall of Fame Player
User avatar

Joined: May 7th, 2005, 3:25 pm
Posts: 7483
Location: Earth/Sagittarius Dwarf Galaxy
Post Re: 6 Days = 15+ Billion Years. The Genesis Code.
mwill2 wrote:
The science community's use of the name "Eve" doesn't refer to the Biblical character. Here's a relatively easy-to-understand account of what they mean when they use the name "Eve."

http://www.virginia.edu/woodson/courses/aas102%20%28spring%2001%29/articles/tierney.html


We are searching for the 1st woman. But, we can't call her EVE. That would lend credence to Genesis. WE ARE SCIENTISTS!!!!! WE CAN'T HAVE THAT!!!! NOW CAN WE!!!!!

That's about all I got out of that article.

Image


Last edited by BillySims on July 2nd, 2012, 10:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.



July 2nd, 2012, 10:20 pm
Profile
Play by Play Announcer - Al Michaels

Joined: October 15th, 2005, 9:00 am
Posts: 1839
Location: Greensboro, NC
Post Re: 6 Days = 15+ Billion Years. The Genesis Code.
Billy, sorry for any participation in the derailment I've played. I think we can agree that few, if any, participants in this thread have watched "The Genesis Code" and probably can't add much to a pointed discussion of that film. The thread would have only one post (your original post) if it were limited to an informed discussion about the film.

The discussion evolved (pun intended) into one about "old Earth" vs. "young Earth" Creationism, which is indeed related to the film. In this regard, meteorite fragments and mitochondrial DNA are relevant to the discussion since these items have been used to estimate the age of the Earth and the human species. Those scientific findings are absolutely incompatible with "young Earth" Creationism. Mitochondrial Eve, for example, is about 190,000 years old. If we accept her existence, the "young Earth" Creation theory doesn't work.

_________________
Proud member of the Contract Extension for Schwartz Fan Club.


July 2nd, 2012, 10:39 pm
Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic   [ 190 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 13  Next

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: DJ-B and 4 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by STSoftware.