View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently October 30th, 2014, 12:56 pm

Reply to topic  [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Sean Jones 
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

Post Sean Jones
i am using my phone for this so i cant post a link but we reportedly signed him to a 1 year deal. i like the signing. thoughts?

June 25th, 2012, 2:57 pm
Hall of Fame Player

Post Re: Sean Jones
From http://www.detroitlions.com

Quote:
Lions find veteran safety help in Sean Jones
Posted by ttwentyman on June 25, 2012 – 1:59 pm

The Lions have found themselves some veteran help at safety.

The team agreed to terms on a one-year contract with veteran Sean Jones on Monday, according to a league source. Jones passed his physical with the team on Monday. An unrestricted free agent, Jones, 30, visited the Lions’ practice facility in Allen Park in early May, but left without a contract.

He started 32 games at strong safety for the Buccaneers over the last two years.

The Browns selected Jones in the second round of the 2004 NFL Draft, but he missed his rookie season due to a knee injury suffered before the season. He made his debut the following season, playing mostly on special teams, and finished with 23 tackles. He assumed the Browns’ starting strong safety spot in 2006 and had 14 interceptions and 263 tackles from 2006-2008 with the team.

He played one season with the Eagles in 2009 (replacing Brian Dawkins at strong safety) before signing with the Buccaneers as a free agent before the 2010 season. Jones had 92 tackles, a sack and a forced fumble last year.

Lions general manager Martin Mayhew said during the team’s mandatory minicamp two weeks ago that he wanted to get a good look at some of the younger safeties on the roster before making any moves with a number of veteran free agents the Lions brought in this offseason. Mayhew obviously didn’t see what he wanted in those younger players, so he made the move to sign Jones.

Jones will likely compete with Amari Spievey, Erik Coleman and Don Carey for the other starting safety spot opposite Louis Delmas.

Spievey, who’s started most of the last two years at safety for the Lions, has been inconsistent over his tenure, which prompted the team to seek out veteran help this offseason. The Lions also brought in veteran free-agent safeties O.J. Atogwe and Chris Crocker for visits.

Jones is an eight-year veteran with a bevy of experience who’s played in 107 career games with 85 starts.

The team has not announced a coinciding transaction to make room for Jones on the 90-man roster.

June 25th, 2012, 3:03 pm
RIP Killer

Camp competition signing. He'll have to be better than Coleman to make the team. I think Spievey, Delmas and Wendling are pretty much locks. Jones and Coleman will battle with Spievey for the starting job. Even if Coleman or Jones wins the starting job, I don't see the Lions cutting Spievey.

June 25th, 2012, 3:45 pm
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

Agreed. I think Spievey gets this year and next offseason to validate his 3rd round selection. If he cant prove it by then I think they will stop even remotely considering him a starting quality safety.

June 25th, 2012, 4:15 pm
Profile ICQ WWW
RIP Killer

DJ-B wrote:
Agreed. I think Spievey gets this year and next offseason to validate his 3rd round selection. If he cant prove it by then I think they will stop even remotely considering him a starting quality safety.

I think Spievey needs to have a short leash. His mistakes last year (notably terrible tackling angles), lead to huge plays. As a playoff contender, I don't think the Lions can rely on a player who gives up chunks of yardage like that (in both the run and passing game) regardless of what round he was selected in.

June 25th, 2012, 5:10 pm
Profile WWW
Hall of Fame Player

From Yahoo.

Quote:
Lions sign Jones, release Proctor
The Associated Press – 34 minutes ago

ALLEN PARK, Mich. (AP) The Detroit Lions have signed safety Sean Jones to a one-year deal and released safety Sam Proctor.

The Lions announced the moves Monday.

The 30-year-old Jones started all 16 games each of the last two seasons with Tampa Bay. Prior to that, he played a year with Philadelphia and four seasons with Cleveland.

Jones made 71 tackles last season. The Lions had signed Proctor last month as an undrafted free agent out of Oklahoma.

June 25th, 2012, 6:01 pm
ST Coordinator – Danny Crossman

Coleman has no chance at the starting spot. I see Jones making the team, being a good upgrade over Chris Harris but not beating out Spievey to start opposite Delmas. Wendling should make the team also. What happens with Silva and will they consider moving Chris Greenwood to safety at some point are the questions Im interested in...

June 27th, 2012, 10:45 pm
Varsity Captain

moving greenwood to safety is not an option.he showed impressive cover skills in practice before the coaches shut him down when he started feeling soreness in his hammy.you guys are gonna be thrilled when you see just how talented him and bentley are when the preseason starts.

June 28th, 2012, 10:54 am
Rookie Player of the Year

allenslions wrote:
moving greenwood to safety is not an option.he showed impressive cover skills in practice before the coaches shut him down when he started feeling soreness in his hammy.you guys are gonna be thrilled when you see just how talented him and bentley are when the preseason starts.

Good to see you back in action, allenslions!

June 28th, 2012, 11:21 am

thelomasbrowns wrote:
allenslions wrote:

Good to see you back in action, allenslions!

I was thinkin the same thing.

June 28th, 2012, 12:09 pm

Quote:
moving greenwood to safety is not an option.he showed impressive cover skills in practice before the coaches shut him down when he started feeling soreness in his hammy.you guys are gonna be thrilled when you see just how talented him and bentley are when the preseason starts

good news, what about jonte green? how did he look?

also how badly did you want to punch mayhew in the face after he passed on the No 2 player on his board well into the 1st 2nd and 3rd rounds?

June 29th, 2012, 6:10 pm
Varsity Captain

i learned alot sitting in that war room.mayhew and jim let the coaching staff and scouts nitpick the top guys on the board with each pick.each position coach has a list of players they like with a grade and round projection.lets take the broyles pick shawn had a first rd grade on him which was the highest graded player left on anyone,s lists .as for the miami running back he was taken off the board because coach gash felt he had some maturity issue,s and he felt that lashoure and best should be given every chance to prove themselves this season. as for the greenwood pick i will take credit for that one along with coach robertson.we both went to bat hard for him.sorry about no updates during the draft but i had no idea but the team imposes a no media contact during the draft .they wouldnt even allow us to have internet access thru our phones.lol

July 9th, 2012, 12:19 pm
Team MVP

allenslions wrote:
i learned alot sitting in that war room.mayhew and jim let the coaching staff and scouts nitpick the top guys on the board with each pick.each position coach has a list of players they like with a grade and round projection.lets take the broyles pick shawn had a first rd grade on him which was the highest graded player left on anyone,s lists .as for the miami running back he was taken off the board because coach gash felt he had some maturity issue,s and he felt that lashoure and best should be given every chance to prove themselves this season. as for the greenwood pick i will take credit for that one along with coach robertson.we both went to bat hard for him.sorry about no updates during the draft but i had no idea but the team imposes a no media contact during the draft .they wouldnt even allow us to have internet access thru our phones.lol

Hey good to hear from u allenslions! I'm excited to see these guys in action next month.

April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.

Lionbacker2 Fantasy Champion 2011

July 9th, 2012, 2:59 pm

Quote:

interesting info. gash should learn the significance of major injuries concussion/achilles, etc - he s going to get himself fired. what can you tell us about the linebackers they took r lewis, whitehead, t lewis. do they think these guys legitimately have a shot or do they see them as special teamers?

July 9th, 2012, 8:44 pm
Varsity Captain

lets see ronnell will be an end in our system and has been looking very good there.he has alot of speed coming off that corner and thats why i think eb is gonna have to blow the socks off the coaches in the preseason if he even has a chance of beating him out.as for tahir i wasnt quite sure about him being able to make the transition to the 4-3 outside backer spot but man has he proved me so wrong.i see him getting alot of playing time as the nickle backer this season.and as for travis well all the starters better watch there asses cause he is a special player with a big chip on his shoulder.he may have run a slow 40 but you would never know it the way he flies around out there and he is so darned instinctive its like he was in the offensive huddle.just watching these kids i agree with the rest of the staff in that this could be there best draft class so far.also gunny has installed two completely new formations to try out in the preseason.1 the elephant formation that has suh and fairley lined up as ends and hill and williams inside.and a 3-4 formation that again has suh and fairley on the ends and hill in the middle and tulloch and levy as the inside backers. as for the outside backers gunny kinda thru a bunch of guys out there.thats all for know

July 10th, 2012, 1:21 pm
Reply to topic   [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next