View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently September 17th, 2014, 7:40 am

Reply to topic  [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 The most honest 3 1/2 minutes of TV EVER… 
Modmin Dude

Post The most honest 3 1/2 minutes of TV EVER…
Beginning scene of the new HBO series The Newsroom explaining why America’s Not the Greatest Country Any Longer… But It Can Be

Me thinks I need to start watching this show...but first I'd have to get HBO

From: http://www.ritholtz.com/blog/2012/07/th ... um=twitter

July 11th, 2012, 12:32 pm
ST Coordinator – Danny Crossman

Post Re: The most honest 3 1/2 minutes of TV EVER…
saw that! Simply amazing! I wish real politicians were as smart and honest. VOTE JEFF DANIELS FOR PREZ! lol

July 11th, 2012, 12:59 pm
QB Coach

I've been watching the show. It's pretty good. Definitely has some great moments. I'll keep checking it out to see how it goes, but it's definitely an interesting concept.

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.” - Neil deGrasse Tyson

July 11th, 2012, 7:37 pm
Player of the Year - Defense

Seems kind of over-acted to me. Melodramatic.

The US remains the greatest country on earth because it is the only country obsessed with remaining great.

You would not see a Russian Jeff Daniels say this about Russia, for example.

July 14th, 2012, 2:16 pm
League MVP

if you watch the show it is very overacted - the dialogue among the people working is just completely unrealistic. sorkin's politics seep through very strongly and its interesting in doses but i ve had enough and will no longer be watching the show

July 15th, 2012, 8:47 am
RIP Killer

Blueskies wrote:
Seems kind of over-acted to me. Melodramatic.

The US remains the greatest country on earth because it is the only country obsessed with remaining great.

You would not see a Russian Jeff Daniels say this about Russia, for example.

Our country is the greatest on earth. However, our government and countrymen are NOT. Being obsessed with something doesn't make it yours. Being obsessed with being great doesn't make you great. Achievement. Achievement is the ONLY thing that makes you great. And America stopped achieving a number of things that helped make them the greatest country on earth years ago.

There are many reasons why our country can be viewed as no longer being the greatest on earth, but I agree with what was said in the video....we no longer are. We have a government that has a continuing escalation of immorality and an increased fear of its own citizens. Freedoms guaranteed by our Constitution get suppressed more and more each year. Illegal immigrants are given the red carpet treatment and complete amnesty, yet third and fourth generation Americans get sh*t on as if they stowed away on a ship to get here yesterday and killed someone in the process. Political correctness has run amock, such that decent people can't fly an American flag when they feel like it. Our government and powers that be have pushed the idea of diversity to a point where we are FORCED to accept others, when it should be our CHOICE as to whether we want to or not. I should not be legislated into it.

I'm sorry, but there are too many reasons to list as to why America is so screwed up, and why they no longer are the greatest country on earth. But I agree with the video. Too many really important things that we used to do, or be able to do, have succumbed to greed, politics and empire building in this country to make it the greatest any longer.

July 16th, 2012, 9:14 am
QB Coach

yeah what he said ^, =D>

We've been chipping away at morality, and truth for so long that we really don't have a foundation to stand on any longer.

2 Chronicles 10:14, "if my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land."

July 16th, 2012, 10:37 am

I watch the show every week, but it's a false representation of what it is labeled as. It was supposed to be a journalistic show about a conservative that decides to throw away the bias and just do the news. Instead, it's a representation of what labels believe conservatives are or should be.

Last week's representation of the Tea party was all left viewed, and this week's episode ripped republican's on gun control, then brought out the Kathy Giffords shooting but of course failed to mention it was a dem who shot her. The shooter was crazy and politics shouldn't matter, but when the show rips on republicans the entire show and then leaves that out, it gives the perception that it was due to the republicans that it happened.

If you're going to promote a show about how news should be, and then portray the star as Olbermann, it's not going to take long for viewers to catch on. Then again it is HBO.

July 16th, 2012, 12:08 pm
RIP Killer

njroar wrote:
Last week's representation of the Tea party was all left viewed, and this week's episode ripped republican's on gun control, then brought out the Kathy Giffords shooting but of course failed to mention it was a dem who shot her. The shooter was crazy and politics shouldn't matter, but when the show rips on republicans the entire show and then leaves that out, it gives the perception that it was due to the republicans that it happened.

Yet another reason why America is not the greatest country on earth. People in this country are now of the opinion that if they don't like something, than nobody can have it. I fear guns, so nobody can have one. Well, my wife fears spiders....does that mean we should drop millions of bombs filled with insecticide so that she never has to experience seeing a spider ever again?

Another thing that gets me is that there were hundreds of people at that political rally in Arizona, but only one man came forward to say he was legally armed. He was too far away to prevent the shooting, and wisely chose not to risk shooting at the guy when others were in the way. Yet idiot liberal media heads point at that and say "see, even an armed citizen was helpless and couldn't stop the shooter." But, what if a majority of those people were armed, do you think the shooter would have done as much damage? I don't think so. You don't see gun stores, NRA conventions and other such areas having a gun wielding maniac go there and start shooting. But the liberal media fails to point that out.

People need to stop this crap with "I don't like this, so nobody can have it" mentality. If I wanna fly a flag, I should be able to do it as I see fit, whenever I want. If I want to have a nativity scene, then I should be able to have it out there. Same goes with any city, township, county or state. If it isn't DIRECTLY interfering with your daily life, then STFU and go about your business. Putting up a nativity scene, or flyin the American flag, or anything like that is not the suppression of freedoms for anybody. Stopping it is the prelude to suppression of freedom for EVERYBODY.

July 16th, 2012, 2:00 pm

If the US is no longer the greatest country on earth, I simply ask you tell me which one is.

July 16th, 2012, 7:33 pm
Walk On

I'm pretty confident you're confusing individual liberties with freedom of governments to discriminate and marginalize individuals, M2K. And there are no liberties or promises to keep things away from you that you don't like. Although I'm personally totally in favor of your spiders proposal.

July 16th, 2012, 10:54 pm

Quote:
If I want to have a nativity scene, then I should be able to have it out there. Same goes with any city, township, county or state. If it isn't DIRECTLY interfering with your daily life, then STFU and go about your business. Putting up a nativity scene, or flyin the American flag, or anything like that is not the suppression of freedoms for anybody. Stopping it is the prelude to suppression of freedom for EVERYBODY.

See, I agree with this sentiment, but it goes both ways.

Most people who would want a public nativity scene would be aghast if a city built a shrine to Islam or Satanism. It's like the lawmaker in Louisiana who voted to allow vouchers to go to religious schools, then was shocked when they went towards Muslim schools.

If you want totally free expression, then you must be open to it all. Not just the ones you dictate.

But yes, the US still has some of the least restrictive laws on firearms in the world.

Reiterating, can someone pick out another country? The only ones I could possibly see are Switzerland or Singapore - both are small countries with small, wealthy populations. Maybe Canada, but its largely intertwined with the US.

July 16th, 2012, 11:14 pm
RIP Killer

I.E. wrote:
I'm pretty confident you're confusing individual liberties with freedom of governments to discriminate and marginalize individuals, M2K. And there are no liberties or promises to keep things away from you that you don't like. Although I'm personally totally in favor of your spiders proposal.

It's not just about government on a federal level. Any organized group, like a homeowners association, seems to go overboard on what they think they should be able to restrict people from doing. It seems like in America now, people think they have a right to tell others what they can and cannot do at every turn, over even the most minor of things. It's gone way overboard. I can understand if someone is doing something that could represent public endangerment, or create some sort of hazard. But telling someone they can't fix their car in their own driveway? Telling someone you can't fly the U.S. flag on your own property if it's not a holiday? Telling someone you can't legally carry a gun, because knowing you might have a gun scares me?

Many, many people in America tody feel entitled. Entitled to government handouts, entitled to control others outside their homes, entitled to money they don't deserve. What's worse, the government and court systems have supported this viewpoint for a number of years. I slip on someones sidewalk, and it's their fault? I'm "entitled" to some of their money for my fall? It's ridiculous. Being in the car industry, we experience some of these frivilous lawsuits all the time. People suing the car company, despite the fact that they or someone else were completely at fault in an accident. Entitlement. Failure to hold yourself responsible. Lack of accountability. It makes me sick.

What country is better than the United States? I"m sure there's more than what I'm about to list. Switzerland is a better country. Norway. Japan. Right now, even Germany is a better country. I may not agree with everything they do in those countries, and Lord knows they have their problems. But I don't think their governments are as corrupt. I don't think their court systems are as screwed up. And Lord knows their educational systems are a damn sight better than ours.

The only time America is the best country on Earth....and I think many people will disagree, but this is my opinion....is when we go to war. If the general populace feels like it is warranted, there is no more unified, powerful, or focused country on the planet. But in times of peace, the in fighting begins and the politicians start going to their side of the rooms. The country becomes divided and suddenly people feel like their opinions should be mandated as law for everyone else to follow.

And under our current president, the country has become more divided, and that administration has basically declared war on the Constitution it swore to uphold and defend. No...we aren't even close to being the greatest country on earth any more.

July 17th, 2012, 8:45 am
Blueskies wrote:
Quote:
If I want to have a nativity scene, then I should be able to have it out there. Same goes with any city, township, county or state. If it isn't DIRECTLY interfering with your daily life, then STFU and go about your business. Putting up a nativity scene, or flyin the American flag, or anything like that is not the suppression of freedoms for anybody. Stopping it is the prelude to suppression of freedom for EVERYBODY.

See, I agree with this sentiment, but it goes both ways.

Most people who would want a public nativity scene would be aghast if a city built a shrine to Islam or Satanism. It's like the lawmaker in Louisiana who voted to allow vouchers to go to religious schools, then was shocked when they went towards Muslim schools.

If you want totally free expression, then you must be open to it all. Not just the ones you dictate.

But yes, the US still has some of the least restrictive laws on firearms in the world.

Reiterating, can someone pick out another country? The only ones I could possibly see are Switzerland or Singapore - both are small countries with small, wealthy populations. Maybe Canada, but its largely intertwined with the US.

IMO Germany, Switzerland, Sweden, and Norway are all "greater nations" on some level than we are, but it depends on how you qualify "greatest nation." I based my earlier assertions off of "quality of life" metrics that generally say Sweden and Norway lead the pack.

That said, we have the strongest military in the world, by far, we contribute something like 70-80% of the budget of the U.N., and we give more foreign aid to other countries by hundreds of billions of dollars. There is literally no other nation that could handle the capacity of humanitarian effort, military effort, and budgetary support that we give out (however, I would argue that we can't afford it any longer either).

Jeff Daniel's may have wanted to say that we're not great because our military is so big, but I disagree. I think the size of our military is a sign of our greatness. Our military is huge not because we need to protect our boarders here, but because we quite literally keep the WORLD economy moving. We are the reason that some Saudi Sheek, or Iranian nutbag can't completely shut down the world economy by closing the straits in the Middle East. It's not France or even Germany over there patrolling the waters over there to keep commerce moving. It's us.

That said, our values have gone down the toilet. We value government more than education. We value tests more than intelligence. And I agree with Jeff's monolouge on one point... I do think people in this nation feel threatened by other people's intelligence, and I do think we try to hold smart people back and smart people down. We have a quasi idiocracy going on over here and it's ridiculous... Which is why I want to go to Europe or Canada to find my future gf/wife.

What pisses me off is that Liberals want to "legislate" this greater morality. They want to legislate a "greater life" that "gives" more to those that "need it," they quite literally want other "crappy jobs" to be done over seas, and the "good jobs" to stay here in the U.S., and IMO that's what is destroying our country. When we lost our manufacturing sector we got lazy and started feeling "entitled" to things we didn't work for. Like it or not we DID lose our manufacturing sector to over-priced wages largely driven up by labor unions and ridiculous tax burdens. We make it PROFITABLE to send jobs overseas, and that's just flat out stupid. This country needs to get back to work and start working for a living, instead of expecting the government to hand out everything "for free."

July 17th, 2012, 1:45 pm
Walk On

I don't agree that "everybody" wants stuff for free & without work in this country. I just don't agree with that - I believe it is a super-cynical view of our country & countrymen. I don't believe that most of the people on public aid actually want to be - I believe most would prefer to work & be gainfully employed. I don't think people appreciate the depth of the economic disaster caused by the triple bubble (tech, finance, housing) in the past 10-12 years... this is not "your father's recession"... we are in a depression, barely masked by global financial/central bank intervention that is barely helping with employment, in spite of $trillions of dollars in easing/priming the pump. We are still in deep trouble - and no President can get us out. If we stop spending, that red line heads back downwards - quickly, and BIG TIME.

I agree, M2K that some "rules" and "ordinances" are ridiculous - but those are the kinds of laws that people get together to create ... to protect their own property values. I live in a neighborhood that wants people to shut their garage doors so the neighborhood looks more orderly - it is crazy. But it is also part of the neighborhood covenants that I agreed to to live here, because it protects my own property value (overall - not just that one 'rule').

I agree on guns & the flag ...

I agree with you for the most part on the military, wjb ... I just wish we wouldn't use it unless we really had to. I also do agree that union demands are now counterproductive... and that is unfortunate, because unions are clearly one of the reasons for the development of the great American middle class that fueled the world economy for 60-70 years.

July 17th, 2012, 4:16 pm
Reply to topic   [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next