View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently July 29th, 2014, 7:05 am

Reply to topic  [ 147 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next
 NFL faces another labor battle, with officials 
Modmin Dude

Post NFL faces another labor battle, with officials
PFT wrote:
NFL faces another labor battle, with officials
Posted by Mike Florio on May 10, 2012, 6:27 AM EDT

In 2001, the NFL responded to a labor battle with game officials by locking them out and hiring replacements.

In 2012, it could be happening all over again.

Alex Marvez of FOXSports.com reports that the NFL has commenced plans for hiring replacement officials, as negotiations with game officials reach an impasse.

“Talks are ongoing, and should the two sides reach an agreement in the near future, there will be no need to hire additional officials,” NFL director of recruiting officials Ron Bayne writes in a letter obtained by Marvez. “This is a contingency plan to make sure the NFL season will continue on schedule as planned.”

As Marvez explains, replacement officials were used 11 years ago for the final exhibition games and the first week of regular-season games. A new CBA was reached with game officials during the one-week NFL hiatus resulting from the 9/11 attacks.

Today, however, the game has changed. With the NFL pushing for player safety — and relying on game officials to be more involved in spotting players who may have suffered concussions — the use of second-tier officials could undermine the league’s safety objectives.

The negotiations are reaching critical mass not long after Commissioner Roger Goodell floated the idea of experimenting with full-time officials. Which means that the NFL realizes that the quality of the officiating can be improved. Which means that it’s not acceptable to have anything other than the best officials.

In hindsight, it’s possible that Goodell mused about full-time officials as part of the effort to leverage game officials into accepting the league’s terms, given that most if not all of them prefer the ability to have a “real” job in addition to working for the NFL on weekends during football season.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... officials/
I know we like to bash the officials, but does anyone think replacements will be any better??? Ugh..hope they get this resolved soon...and implement full-timers in the process.

May 10th, 2012, 11:25 am
ST Coordinator – Danny Crossman

Post Re: NFL faces another labor battle, with officials
i will take replacements as long as reffing is their only job and it's full time. make it so their livleyhood depends on them making good calls and I think things would actually improve.

May 10th, 2012, 11:41 am
regularjoe12 wrote:
i will take replacements as long as reffing is their only job and it's full time. make it so their livleyhood depends on them making good calls and I think things would actually improve.

I disagree. You're talking about guys that work 17 weeks a year for most of them, and a select few that work 20 weeks a year. To say that they can't do anything else in the off-season, or to say that they can't do anything from 9-5 M-F (when they're not reffing a weekday game) is just plain silly, IMO. Now don't get me wrong, I think their employment with the NFL should be based on their performance, and I think anyone getting less than X% of calls right (85%, 90% w/e) should be let go. I just don't think they shouldn't be allowed to work elsewhere.

That said, I think it is ridiculous that they want to get paid the same as other officials that work 100+ games a year.

You know my position... screw 'em... Let 'em strike, let 'em walk. I don't think the officiating will be "better," and I do think the game will suffer a bit, and I think the calls will actually be slightly worse, but I don't think the NFL should cave on this. It's a 6 month, 1 day per week job with a pretty hefty salary already. Anything more is just plain ridiculous, and people would be lining up left and right to take these jobs.

May 10th, 2012, 2:46 pm
RIP Killer

The problem, as I see it, is this: the NFL spends the entire season protecting the referees from criticism by the coaches and players. Say one wrong word, and you get fined or suspended. Then, comes time for the officials to get a new deal, and the NFL is ready to throw them out the door. Where's the consistency? If you think these guys have a tough job, and want them to do the best job they can, then pay them fairly. Make it so that during the 24 weeks or so (they work more than just the regular games and playoffs, wjb) that they work, they are paid such that any regular job they have is not needed, and let them know that during that time the NFL is their job. They can review tape during the week to see what they did right, and what they did wrong (which is what I believe many of them do now). Let them meet with league officials to discuss various topics regarding what's expected of them, and how they should be calling the games.
But mostly, I agree with wjb that they should have to meet some performance expectations, or else risk losing their job. Some of the calls are very tough to make in real time, and slow motion video proves them wrong, but in real time the call was close. Other times, I wonder if they are even awake while they are on the field.

May 10th, 2012, 3:31 pm

Im sorry but I can't help but think that guys who's livelihood depends on the job, would do a better job than the part timers we have now. I have no problems with what they do in the offseason...But i want full time refs durring the season. when they are not at a game they can be at a class, reviewing the previous weeks mistakes.

IMO NFL refs are starting to encroach on the awfullness that is NBA reffing.

May 10th, 2012, 3:33 pm
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

regularjoe12 wrote:
Im sorry but I can't help but think that guys who's livelihood depends on the job, would do a better job than the part timers we have now. I have no problems with what they do in the offseason...But i want full time refs durring the season. when they are not at a game they can be at a class, reviewing the previous weeks mistakes.

That's not a bad idea Joe. I love the mention of them taking a class during the week or shoot.. reviewing the previous game's tape to see what can be improved upon. I officiated locally and I sure would of benefited from watching a game I called to see what I could of done better.

NEVER GIVE UP!

May 10th, 2012, 4:02 pm
RIP Killer

LionsFan4Life wrote:
regularjoe12 wrote:

That's not a bad idea Joe. I love the mention of them taking a class during the week or shoot.. reviewing the previous game's tape to see what can be improved upon. I officiated locally and I sure would of benefited from watching a game I called to see what I could of done better.

I know that the different officiating teams meet during the week and go over their previous game, and see where mistakes were made and when they were out of position. However, that may be only one night a week or so, possibly even later in the evening on the day of the game itself. But, I think each team should also be sitting down with their superiors and reviewing the tapes as well. Then the league should sit down with them and review the tapes to determine blown calls and obvious mistakes, so that fines can be levied and corrections made.

May 10th, 2012, 4:44 pm

Exactly M2K!

But since these guys have day jobs (some of them pretty darned prestigious) I have a hard time believing they have the time to really do all the extra film study I believe would be necessary to cut back on some of the atrocious calls.

May 10th, 2012, 4:54 pm
Modmin Dude

PFT wrote:
NFL Referees Association holding conference call Wednesday, featuring Ed Hochuli
Posted by Mike Florio on July 17, 2012, 1:43 PM EDT

As if the NFL doesn’t have enough problems right now, they’ve apparently caused referee Ed Hochuli to go Hulk.

The men who officiate pro football games currently are locked out by the league, and their union will be holding a conference call Wednesday regarding the situation. One of the participants will be Hochuli.

And if Hochuli will be talking, it could be wise for the reporters to pack a lunch. And a dinner.

Other participants will be referee Scott Green, NFL Referees Association counsel Michael Arnold, and NFLRA executive director Tim Millis.

Topics are scheduled to include the current contract negotiations, the lockout, the NFL’s plan to use replacement officials, and the locked-out officials’ “preparation and training.”

The last subject suggests that the NFLRA will claim that, even though the officials currently are missing no games, they’re not getting the kind of organized work that gets them ready for football season. Which means that, even if the lockout ends before Week One of the regular season, they won’t be as good as they usually are.

Or, as some of you would say, they’ll be worse than they usually are.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... d-hochuli/

July 17th, 2012, 2:24 pm
Use replacements... Screw 'em.

July 17th, 2012, 2:33 pm
Modmin Dude

wjb21ndtown wrote:
While I might tend to agree, there were TONS of missed calls last year, can you imagine how many more there will be with replacements??? ](*,)

July 18th, 2012, 2:26 pm
Modmin Dude

PFT wrote:
NFLRA says NFL has ignored request to continue negotiations
Posted by Darin Gantt on July 18, 2012, 1:08 PM EDT

While it doesn’t generate the kind of heat the lockout of players did last summer, the NFL’s current stalemate in negotiations with its officials is every bit as ugly.

National Football League Referees Association (NFLRA) officials held a conference call with the media Wednesday, and said that the league has given “no indication,” they’re interested in returning to the bargaining table.

“The lockout seems to be their negotiating strategy with everybody,” Michael C. Arnold, the NFLRA’s legal counsel and lead negotiator said.

Arnold said that since talks broke off June 3, they’ve heard nothing from the league. In the meantime, the NFL is preparing to pick crews of replacement officials from retired officials and those who have called lower levels, as those who do Division I football aren’t under consideration. The NFL has another of what the NFLRA refers to as “scab clinics,” this weekend in Dallas, though some retired officials the league uses as trainers (such as Red Cashion and Jerry Markbreit) have refused to participate.

“The folks who are going to be on the field are not of NFL quality that coaches, fans and players are used to seeing,” said NFLRA President Scott Green.

While many fans and players treat this lockout with little more than a shrug, officials say their absence will be significant as the league tries to stress player safety.

Longtime official Ed Hochuli said players are aware of his presence when he’s on the field, and believes they’ll push the envelope on rules infractions if they know replacement officials are on the field.

Hochuli said NFLRA members continue to train as if there would be a regular season, going through video presentations and conference calls on rules changes.

“When the lockout ends, we’ll be ready to take the field the next day,” Hochuli said. “But let’s not kid ourselves, missing the preseason hurts.”

Hochuli said without preseason games, offficials would be as “rusty” as players would be without training camp, and said if the lockout isn’t resolved soon, missed preseason games would mean: “We will make those mistakes in the regular season.”

At issue, as you might imagine, is the economic proposals in play.

NFLRA officials said they’ve asked for small increases over what was prescribed in their previous CBA. One primary point of contention is pension benefits, which they contend the league wants to “freeze, then end,” Arnold said.

Arnold described the gulf between the two sides as small, saying over the course of a five-year agreement, it’s as little as $100,000 per team, per year. That’s another way of saying $16 million.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... otiations/

July 18th, 2012, 2:32 pm
TheRealWags wrote:
wjb21ndtown wrote:
While I might tend to agree, there were TONS of missed calls last year, can you imagine how many more there will be with replacements??? ](*,)

There's tons of missed calls in every professional sport, regardless of whom you use. I don't think the NCAA Refs are any worse.

IMO the biggest problem with the NFL isn't the refs, but the damn rules. If the rules themselves aren't clear how the hell are they supposed to call them correctly?

I'll stand pat... Screw 'em... Use replacements.

July 18th, 2012, 2:46 pm
RIP Killer

gimme NFL refs over NBA an MLB officials for sure. I'm not sure how much is the game, rules, # of refs, but they tend to get the vast majority right in the NFL. I would say the officials are a major part of the game in baseball and basketball, one of the reasons I have gravitated aways from those sports.

July 18th, 2012, 4:17 pm
Profile WWW

all I can say about the current refs is Bounty Gate! One of the LEAST penalized teams in the league was head hunting like crazy....thats screams team favoritism, and also a HUGE problem IMO. Bring on new guys who can call a fair/unbiased game please.

July 18th, 2012, 4:25 pm
Reply to topic   [ 147 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next