View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently November 27th, 2014, 9:30 am

Reply to topic  [ 190 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 13  Next
 6 Days = 15+ Billion Years. The Genesis Code. 
Varsity 1st Team

Post Re: 6 Days = 15+ Billion Years. The Genesis Code.
BillySims wrote:
njroar wrote:
Not going to get into the science, because everyone tends to argue with the mindset that they are exclusive of each other and not that they work together.

As for this...

Quote:
Christians are to gather together and fellowship with each other in Church. Each of us are part of the body of Christ. Each of us fill a valuable role. When you decide to not to go to church, you are depriving other Christians of your fellowship. If you lost an arm, would your body function as efficiently as it would if it had both arms? No. And neither does the Church. When you chose to not go, you limit the churches efficiency.

You've been fed a line that has kept churches in business. "Church" is where two or more are gathered in his name. On any day. Church isn't a brick and mortar building, it's a fellowship. Your relationship with God is a personal one, not a group one. You're perfectly able to fellowship with as many as you wish, but it has never been mandatory to group with others in a specific place.

Quote:
Hebrews 10:25

King James Version (KJV)

25 Not forsaking the assembling of ourselves together, as the manner of some is; but exhorting one another: and so much the more, as ye see the day approaching.

Not Forsaking means: DO NOT FORSAKE. In other words, we are to meet together to exhort and uplift each other.

Tithing and how much to tithe is up to each person however much they can afford/want to give. 10% is just a guideline. I personally give somewhere between 15-20% because I failed to tithe for far to long.

Speaking of Titheing,
I heard/read some where that it was not originally in the Bible, but was added much later. Does anyone have some insight on this. Ive tried looking to no luck.

Frok

July 13th, 2012, 9:51 pm
QB Coach

The closest reference to tything is when Abraham honored Melchizadek of the city of Salem, by giving him a 10th of the plunder received from defeating an enemy.

Scripturally, there is no requirement that I am aware of that demands people give a percentage back to the ministry of their choice. However, as believers we make the choice to return a portion of our income to the church. This helps fund the church, the staffing, and the ministries, and is predominantly the only income stream for the congregation.

Some denominations have branched out into actual business enterprises to supplement their income stream, and some actually charge their people for a lot of things. I'm only speaking for what I know in one particular Catholic church where we have friends who attend, but there are charges for the candles, sacriments, services praying for loved ones who've passed away, and so on. This goes to my comment a few pages back in where we (Churchians) shackle people up with rules and regulations, without teaching and helping people form their relationship with God through Jesus. How many times have you heard or said, "Christianity is just a bunch of rules, or do's and don'ts?" Where is the fun and relationship in that?

My thinking is get rid of the million dollar buildings and invest that money into the programs that help the community. Who says you need a building? It was post 1st century church leadership that saw the cash cow and removed the Scriptures from the body, and created a Christian Hierarchy which you see in the Catholic Faith especially, but this happens in all faiths.

just my thoughts

2 Chronicles 10:14, "if my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land."

July 14th, 2012, 11:05 am
Walk On

Seriously... the hodgepodge of pseudoscientific (and that is being very kind) comments here is really disturbing. Science certainly has support for Pangea, large asteroid strikes, etc.... BUT... and this is a HUUUGE BUTTT... it is preposterous to assert that these types of things can be harmonized with the Bible - they simply can NOT. The principles that support continental origin and drift are in direct conflict with anything proposed by the bible - it is as simple as that. And the flora and fauna of the world (including mankind) simply could not survive without rain. The idea is so absurd that a first grade science class can squash it. Yet... grown men proliferate such comments without a second thought (or even a first, evidently).

This is very very scary - outrageous anti-science and revisionist history are definitely key parts of why our country has big problems. Fully half of our population literally believes in ghosts and magic. How can we expect to solve our serious problems of the day - with wishes, hopes, requests to supernatural being(s) and outright denial of our immense knowledge of the basic mechanics of how things actually work?

Have you all seen the movie "Ideocracy"? I suppose the people of Noah's time survived on "electrolytes".

July 16th, 2012, 11:13 pm
Hall of Fame Player

I.E. wrote:
Seriously... the hodgepodge of pseudoscientific (and that is being very kind) comments here is really disturbing. Science certainly has support for Pangea, large asteroid strikes, etc.... BUT... and this is a HUUUGE BUTTT... it is preposterous to assert that these types of things can be harmonized with the Bible - they simply can NOT. The principles that support continental origin and drift are in direct conflict with anything proposed by the bible - it is as simple as that. And the flora and fauna of the world (including mankind) simply could not survive without rain. The idea is so absurd that a first grade science class can squash it. Yet... grown men proliferate such comments without a second thought (or even a first, evidently).

This is very very scary - outrageous anti-science and revisionist history are definitely key parts of why our country has big problems. Fully half of our population literally believes in ghosts and magic. How can we expect to solve our serious problems of the day - with wishes, hopes, requests to supernatural being(s) and outright denial of our immense knowledge of the basic mechanics of how things actually work?

Have you all seen the movie "Ideocracy"? I suppose the people of Noah's time survived on "electrolytes".

Prior to the flood, it didn't rain because it didn't need to. Plants were watered every night by an abundance of dew.

July 17th, 2012, 10:35 pm
RIP Killer

BillySims wrote:
I.E. wrote:

Prior to the flood, it didn't rain because it didn't need to. Plants were watered every night by an abundance of dew.

Billy, where in the world do you get this from? Of course it rained during Biblical times of the Old Testament. I would venture to say that it rained in the Garden of Eden. Simply because it wasn't mentioned doesn't mean it didn't happen.

This is the danger of reading the Bible and taking every word as a singular truth. That's not what the Bible is, and it is not what it is intended to be.

July 18th, 2012, 9:31 am
ST Coordinator – Danny Crossman

agreed. I had been taught there was a drought before the 40 days of rain, but I have NEVER heard of any theory of it not raining at all before that. And I have also never heard of the "Ice atmosphere" theory either. Sounds like a sci fi movie and is in no way shape or form possible in any realistic setting. I have read the bible and dont recall anything that even comes close to resembing what Billy was talking about there.

July 18th, 2012, 10:11 am
QB Coach

I was under the misconception that rain did not appear prior to Noah, and from what I understood, it was because the entire Earth was a tropical environment and didn't need "rain". But if you look at tropical environments of today, they are called rain forests.

I think there is a potential for misinterpretation because the people surrounding Noah, did not recognize a boat, and had no understanding of it.

As for the ice atmosphere, I am not sure on that either, but if you read Gensis REALLY slowly, you can see that God separated the "deep" or waters, in between the waters he made sky. The sun, moon, stars all inhabited the space between. Earth was formed and fashioned on the very middle portion of the deep.

Now if you have an outer ring of water surround all that we know today, and that "ring" were pierced and flooded the Earth, then there would be very little evidence of it today, except for the ice that's present, right?

But I also understand that it is TOO hard to understand that description so it's easier for us to disregard the literal because we can't believe it was like that. To better understand the description take blank sheet of paper and draw a large O on it. In the middle of that O put a "." The period represents the Earth and the space between the O and the . is the heavens. make sense?

2 Chronicles 10:14, "if my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land."

July 18th, 2012, 3:43 pm
Walk On

Dudes... get a grip. It rained on Earth 2000 years ago... and 2000 Million years ago. It isn't subject to interpretation - it is a scientifically documented fact that 99.9% of scientists on Earth agree with (with the .1% being religious posers). The Noah story is a PARABLE. The story was used in religious dogma prior to even the old testament. It is documented. Move on.

July 18th, 2012, 10:35 pm
QB Coach

WOW! You're right Eric, thank you so much!!! I never even considered accepting the common thought of the created, instead doggedly sticking with the written word of the Creator. Silly me!

Man whodathunk that scientist living so many years after the fact can accurately tell you what happened during creation because they said so. I'm so relieved to know that if I would just stop fighting the current and go with the flow, the swim to hell would be so much easier!

Thanks again, you've saved me a whole lot of effort! Then again maybe not, I tend to be a slow learner, and hard headed. I'd much rather worship the Creator than the created, and any of you can call me all the names that you'd like cause I ain't gonna change.

For the message of the cross is foolishness to those who are perishing, but to us who are being saved it is the power of God.

July 19th, 2012, 8:01 am
QB Coach

Here this ought to stir the pot a little:

http://www.answersingenesis.org/article ... -creatures

Fossils of sea creatures are found in rock layers high above sea level. This is just one more evidence of the truth of God’s Word.
If the Genesis Flood, as described in Genesis 7-8, really occurred, what evidence would we expect to find? The previous article in this series gave an overview of the six main geologic evidences for the Genesis Flood. Now let’s take a closer look at evidence number one.

After we read in Genesis 7 that all the high hills and the mountains were covered by water, and all air-breathing life on the land was swept away and perished, the answer to the question above should be obvious. Wouldn’t we expect to find rock layers all over the earth that are filled with billions of dead animals and plants that were rapidly buried and fossilized in sand, mud, and lime? Of course, and that’s exactly what we find.

Six main geologic evidences for the Genesis Flood
Introduction: Geologic Evidences for the Genesis Flood

Evidence #1. Fossils of sea creatures high above sea level

Evidence #2. Rapid burial of plants and animals

Evidence #3. Rapidly deposited sediment layers spread across vast areas

Evidence #4. Sediment transported long distances

Evidence #5. Rapid or no erosion between strata

Evidence #6. Many strata laid down in rapid succession
Marine Fossils High above Sea Level
It is beyond dispute among geologists that on every continent we find fossils of sea creatures in rock layers which today are high above sea level. For example, we find marine fossils in most of the rock layers in Grand Canyon. This includes the topmost layer in the sequence, the Kaibab Limestone exposed at the rim of the canyon, which today is approximately 7,000–8,000 feet (2,130–2,440 m) above sea level.1 Though at the top of the sequence, this limestone must have been deposited beneath ocean waters loaded with lime sediment that swept over northern Arizona (and beyond).

Other rock layers exposed in Grand Canyon also contain large numbers of marine fossils. The best example is the Redwall Limestone, which commonly contains fossil brachiopods (a clam-like organism), corals, bryozoans (lace corals), crinoids (sea lilies), bivalves (types of clams), gastropods (marine snails), trilobites, cephalopods, and even fish teeth.2

These marine fossils are found haphazardly preserved in this limestone bed. The crinoids, for example, are found with their columnals (disks) totally separated from one another, while in life they are stacked on top of one another to make up their “stems.” Thus, these marine creatures were catastrophically destroyed and buried in this lime sediment.

Fossil ammonites (coiled marine cephalopods) like this one are found in limestone beds high in the Himalayas of Nepal. How did marine fossils get thousands of feet above sea level?
Marine fossils are also found high in the Himalayas, the world’s tallest mountain range, reaching up to 29,029 feet (8,848 m) above sea level.3 For example, fossil ammonites (coiled marine cephalopods) are found in limestone beds in the Himalayas of Nepal. All geologists agree that ocean waters must have buried these marine fossils in these limestone beds. So how did these marine limestone beds get high up in the Himalayas?

We must remember that the rock layers in the Himalayas and other mountain ranges around the globe were deposited during the Flood, well before these mountains were formed. In fact, many of these mountain ranges were pushed up by earth movements to their present high elevations at the end of the Flood. This is recorded in Psalm 104:8, where the Flood waters are described as eroding and retreating down valleys as the mountains rose at the end of the Flood.

The Explanation
There is only one possible explanation for this phenomenon—the ocean waters at some time in the past flooded over the continents.

Could the continents have then sunk below today’s sea level, so that the ocean waters flooded over them?

No! The continents are made up of lighter rocks that are less dense than the rocks on the ocean floor and rocks in the mantle beneath the continents. The continents, in fact, have an automatic tendency to rise, and thus “float” on the mantle rocks beneath, well above the ocean floor rocks.4 This explains why the continents today have such high elevations compared to the deep ocean floor, and why the ocean basins can hold so much water.

There had to be two mechanisms for the sea level to rise. First, water was added to the ocean. Second, the ocean floor itself rose.So there must be another way to explain how the oceans covered the continents. The sea level had to rise, so that the ocean waters then flooded up onto—and over—the continents. What would have caused that to happen?

There had to be, in fact, two mechanisms.

First, if water were added to the ocean, then the sea level would rise.

Scientists are currently monitoring the melting of the polar ice caps because the extra water would cause the sea level to rise and flood coastal communities.

The Bible suggests a source of the extra water. In Genesis 7:11 we read that at the initiation of the Flood all the fountains of the great deep were broken up. In other words, the earth’s crust was split open all around the globe and water apparently burst forth as fountains from inside the earth. We then read in Genesis 7:24–8:2 that these fountains were open for 150 days. No wonder the ocean volume increased so much that the ocean waters flooded over the continents.

Second, if the ocean floor itself rose, it would then have effectively “pushed” up the sea level.

The Bible suggests a source of this rising sea floor: molten rock.

The catastrophic breakup of the earth’s crust, referred to in Genesis 7:11, would not only have released huge volumes of water from inside the earth, but much molten rock.5 The ocean floors would have been effectively replaced by hot lavas. Being less dense than the original ocean floors, these hot lavas would have had an expanded thickness, so the new ocean floors would have effectively risen, raising the sea level by more than 3,500 feet (1,067 m). Because today’s mountains had not yet formed, and it is likely the pre-Flood hills and mountains were nowhere near as high as today’s mountains, a sea level rise of over 3,500 feet would have been sufficient to inundate the pre-Flood continental land surfaces.

Toward the end of the Flood, when the molten rock cooled and the ocean floors sank, the sea level would have fallen and the waters would have drained off the continents into new, deeper ocean basins. As indicated earlier, Psalm 104:8 describes the mountains being raised at the end of the Flood and the Flood waters draining down valleys and off the emerging new land surfaces. This is consistent with much evidence that today’s mountains only very recently rose to their present incredible heights.

The Ocean Floor Rises

MARINE LIFE ORIGINALLY LIVES IN THE OCEAN (top)
Marine creatures obviously live in the ocean (A). For these creatures to be deposited on the continents, the sea level had to rise.
THE OCEAN CRUST IS HEATED AND EXPANDS (middle)
(1)During Noah’s Flood molten rock was released from inside the earth and began replacing the original ocean crust. The ocean crust was effectively replaced by hot lavas. (2)Because of the hot molten rock, the ocean crust became less dense and expanded. (3)The molten rock displaced and pushed the original ocean crust below the continent. (A)The sea level rose more than 3,500 feet (1,067 m) and marine creatures were carried onto the continent, buried in sediments, and fossilized.

MARINE LIFE REMAINS ON THE CONTINENT
Toward the end of the Flood, the ocean crust cooled and the ocean floor sank. As the waters drained off the continents, the sea level would have fallen, leaving marine fossils (A) above sea level on the continents.

Conclusion
The fossilized sea creatures and plants found in rock layers thousands of feet above sea level are thus silent testimonies to the ocean waters that flooded over the continents, carrying billions of sea creatures, which were then buried in the sediments these ocean waters deposited. This is how billions of dead marine creatures were buried in rock layers all over the earth.

We know that the cataclysmic Genesis Flood was an actual event in history because God tells us so in His record, the Bible. Now we can also see persuasive evidences that support what the Bible has so clearly taught all along.

In the next article in this special geology series, we will look in detail at the geologic evidence that plants and animals were rapidly buried by the Flood waters described in Genesis 7–8.

Andrew Snelling holds a Ph.D. in geology from the University of Sydney and has worked as a consultant research geologist to organizations in both Australia and America. Author of numerous scientific articles, Dr. Snelling is now the head of the Research Division at Answers in Genesis.

Footnotes
1.R. L. Hopkins, and K. L. Thompson, “Kaibab Formation,” in Grand Canyon Geology, 2nd ed., eds. S. S. Beus and M. Morales (New York: Oxford University Press, 2003), pp. 196–211. Back
2.S. S. Beus, “Redwall Limestone and Surprise Canyon Formation,” in Grand Canyon Geology, 2nd ed., eds. S. S. Beus and M. Morales (New York: Oxford University Press, 2003), pp. 115–135. Back
3.J. P. Davidson, W. E. Reed, and P. M. Davis, “The Rise and Fall of Mountain Ranges,” in Exploring Earth: An Introduction to Physical Geology (Upper Saddle River, New Jersey: Prentice Hall, 1997), pp. 242–247. Back
4.J. P. Davidson, W. E. Reed, and P. M. Davis, “Isostasy,” in Exploring Earth: An Introduction to Physical Geology (Upper Saddle River, New Jersey: Prentice Hall, 1997), pp. 124–129. Back
5.A. A. Snelling, “A Catastrophic Breakup: A Scientific Look at Catastrophic Plate Tectonics,” Answers April–June 2007, pp. 44–48; A. A. Snelling, “Can Catastrophic Plate Tectonics Explain Flood Geology?” in K. A. Ham, ed., New Answers Book (Green Forest, Arkansas: Master Books, 2006), pp. 186–197. Back
Recommended Resources

NEW Answers Book 1 (The)
Packed with biblical answers to over 25 of the most important questions on creation/evolution and the Bible, The NEW Answers Book is a must-read for everyone who desires to better understand the world in which they live.
Grand Canyon: A Different View
Whether gaping down the huge chasm from the rim, or navigating the Colorado River below, visitors to the Grand Canyon see a perspective that words can’t describe. Visit this marvelous site yourself, through the photographs and essays in this book.
Flood Geology � Enhanced Edition
This stunning collection of videos from the Creation Museum explains the possible mechanisms for the Flood and the tremendous effects it had on the earth. Be fascinated and educated as you watch these eye-opening programs. Contains 10 programs PLUS bonus content.
Geology Book (The)
Biblical interpretation of the earth including rocks, fossils, river systems, mountains, and much more.

Grand Canyon: Monument to Catastrophe
Eminent geologist Dr. Steven Austin explains from a biblical standpoint how Grand Canyon was formed.
Sponsors

July 19th, 2012, 8:07 am

W4C, Hate to say it but a far more likely explaination for fossils above sea level comes in 2 words: Ice Age. durring the ice age all kinds of stuff got moved around, plate tectonics moved more rapidly, heck thats what gave birth to the great lakes.

Like I said before, i dont believe that the whole world was flooded...just that region. (the good news is that my belief on that stry doesn't matter ...all that matters is that I believe in the "the Promise")

BUT your other theory you mentioned early about space ice....DOES have some validity to it and I will consider it more. fact is While water has been on the planet since it's inseption, by the mear fact the the planet was made up of space dust, Water had to come from space as well. and Ice comet (while a lil difficult to believe) IS a possability.

I.E. Whiler I tend to agree with the gist of what you are saying....untill you can find a way to NOT be so condesending I have no intrest in your input. Play nice man. you can make a point without making an insult, even if you are a bears fan :wink: ...I know it's in you.

July 19th, 2012, 1:15 pm
Walk On

OK - I'm sorry, Joe (and everyone I might have offended). It is just frustrating hearing people repeat things over & over again that is just so... proved... wrong... as if, someone was still claiming the Earth was flat & the sun revolves around us.

Warrior... it is very very basic science that fossilized sea creatures are found above sea level and it has absolutely nothing to do with a flood. For the same reason Pangea is now the continents ... many things that are now mountains used to be well under water - and were pushed up by an un-godly amount of force of tectonic plates pushing against each other, on a sea of magma.

July 19th, 2012, 6:55 pm
QB Coach

Eric:

Here is the theory that I've "heard" so take it for what it's worth. As I've said before, since none of us were there, we can only surmize what has happened.

Noah builds the ark, the animals come and load up on the ark, the floods come and fill the whole Earth. If it breathed it died, except for water borne life. While Noah and the family are enjoying their cruise around the world, beneath the level of the ocean a tremendous restructuring. The Earth was shaken off of it's normal axis by the extreme weight of the water. Creating North and South Poles that now act as a counter balance to the new Earth and it's axis.

The land between these two poles has also gone through a new transfromation and is now much different. Mountains are formed as well as canyons, and glaciers. In some of the high mountain rifts, there are fossils of ocean creatures that have been trapped. I call it a rift because it is like a natural bowl or trough where water is caught. ( Think of lakes going dry and how water catches in low spots and fills with fish that eventually die due to lack of oxygen and water.)

I saw a special on it that actually identified some areas in this world that had whale fossils, and other items that demonstrated that it was a "flood" occurrence and not just a regional event.

Eric: Trust me, my job of pointing people to Jesus Christ would be a lot easier if I had hard evidence that I could pull out and say, "See I told you so!" But I don't, but what I do have is faith. My faith is living, and vibrant, and I do not try to push my faith on anyone else. Please don't misconstrue my concern as pushing off my faith, they are different.

As I've said a hundred times before, I don't want to introduce you to a religion, or a church, or a set of do's and don'ts. All I know is who i used to be, and you yourself can admit to how awful we used to battle in this site, but now, now I'm different. There wasn't any pills, or philosphy, any traditions or church that I went to that caused me to be this way. It was my daily plodding along in my relationship with Jesus, that caused the change and I've been different ever since.

I have stories that would make you puke, blush, and turn your head in shame, and yet it's MY story. This is who I USED to be, and then I found Jesus Christ, actually He found me and I chose to walk with him. Because of that choice, I've seen things that you wouldn't believe, but you could if you took a chance.

I wish with all my heart that I could just reach down in my little black hat and produce the evidence you need, or Pablo, or Augshum, or Wags, or anyone else who's searching. But I don't, so because that is what it is, all I can do is say this was my life without Jesus, and this is my life WITH Jesus, and he's made all the difference.

If you want to see God, all you need to do is ask!

July 19th, 2012, 8:46 pm

Thanks I.E. it takes a big man to admit he might have stepped over the line. Might i offer a small piece of advise, You cannot teach by telling others they are wrong. You are right...you haven't said anything untrue. But you'll never educate anyone on what they may not know about if you call em crazy. Take that for what it's worth...

W4c, Id like to ask you a couple of questions. If a molecular physics guru tried to explain to you how create a new element, How much of it would you understand? Now imagine you're God trying to explain creation to a 5 year old. Can you imagine how much that 5 year old is going to understand?

Now I realize it could be construed as an insult to compare Moses to a 5 year old, but when you are talking about science and the "how to" of creation, Moses didn't have much on a modern 5 year old. I promise you God dumbed it down as much as he could, not to mention what Moses THOUGHT he understood. Once again, i'm not saying the bible is wrong, But like M2K says, there are definatly parts that should not be taken literal.

Let me give you another example of what I believe. In The bible God says he took clay and mud and breathed life into man. Taken Literally that's using a power that he hasn't showed in over 4000 years. science says that a bunch of Single cell organisms got together and formed greater beings and crawled out of the primordial ooze. Is it so much of a stretch to think that that is the "mud and clay" that god was refering to? Only dumbed down so a primative mind like Moses could at least get a general understanding of how he did it?

Just something to think about.

July 19th, 2012, 9:22 pm
Walk On

You're right again, Joe. I guess I'm not really looking to change the minds of people whose minds won't change - but rather, step up and say things for the other people.

The thing about evolution and the origin of life theory is, when you describe it as if it was some kind of event: "cells getting together & crawling"... it is highly misleading, and doesn't paint the actual picture. The actual picture is trillions and trillions of primitive chemicals, bonded and reacting amongst each other and becoming primitive cells finally capable of splitting or copying each other - with short existence spans, changing minutely each time - over billions of years until it is something resembling life. And then that "life" taking billions more years of selective evolution to specialize become more & more different living things... a numbers game so profound that it is hard for people to grasp. It really isn't shocking at all to think about the more advantaged cells evolving incrementally over time - the mechanisms are there, and the science behind it is proved (cellular evolution, natural selection). The evidence is all around us. And the math is in favor of it happening, rather than being some lucky chance. That is also why it is basically certain that there is life elsewhere in the universe - with the numbers of "opportunities" out there for planets/moons with environments that could support life. The numbers are in favor - not some slim chance.

July 19th, 2012, 10:45 pm
Reply to topic   [ 190 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 13  Next