View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently September 2nd, 2014, 11:02 pm



Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
 At least one NHL team has the right idea... 
Author Message
Post At least one NHL team has the right idea...
http://www.tennessean.com/viewart/20120 ... eet-Flyers

Shea Weber signs offer sheet with Philadelphia Flyers

Quote:
Nashville star defenseman Shea Weber has reportedly signed a 14-year offer sheet worth more than $100 million with the Philadelphia Flyers, according to a person with knowledge of the decision.

The Sports Network in Canada first reported the offer.

The person spoke to The Associated Press on Thursday on condition of anonymity because the Flyers hadn't announced the offer.

Flyers general manager Paul Holmgren confirmed early Thursday that the Flyers did sign Weber to an offer sheet. He gave no further details.

Predators part owner W. Brett Wilson posted on Twitter, "Am aware of Philly offer."

Weber, 26, is the Predators' captain and played on a $7.5 million arbitrator's award last season. He had 19 goals and 49 points along the way. The team has seven days to match the offer.

If the Predators decline to match the offer, they would receive a package of four first-round draft picks from the Flyers as compensation.

Nashville already lost free-agent defenseman Ryan Suter to Minnesota this summer, and losing Weber would be an unexpected blow to a defense-first team that had 104 points last season, took the No. 4 seed in the Western Conference and advanced to the second round of the playoffs.

Meanwhile, Weber would fill the void left by Philadelphia defenseman Chris Pronger's absence. Pronger — a key cog in the Flyers' run to the 2010 Stanley Cup finals — has been battling concussion problems and missed most of last season. He finished with one goal in 13 games as the Flyers bowed out in the second round to New Jersey after a promising, 103-point regular season.

The Flyers were exposed on defense in a five-game, Round 2 loss to New Jersey, and since have lost defenseman Matt Carle, who snared a six-year, $33 million deal with Tampa Bay. Weber would fix a lot of those problems.

The offer sheet details are still vague, however, Sportsnet's Nick Kypreos speculated on the contract:

Weber will get $1 million in salary per year for the first four years, plus a $13 million signing bonus for a total of $14 million per year, or $52 million over the first four years.

In years five and six, his salary will be $4 million per year, plus an $8 million signing bonus, for a total of $12 million per year or $24 million for the two years.

Years seven through ten of the contract he gets $6 million per year of salary and $3 million dollars in salary in year 11 and back to $1 million dollars per year for years 12-14.

The total offer would be approximately $106 million.

The Associated Press and USA Today contributed to this report.



If this happens the Wings are officially done for the next 3 years. Again, I said last off-season that this was the deal that could have taken us to the Cup last year, and I stand by that. Ken Holland screwed the pooch on that one, big time.


July 19th, 2012, 3:20 pm
Modmin Dude
User avatar

Joined: December 31st, 2004, 9:55 am
Posts: 11968
Post Re: At least one NHL team has the right idea...
Admittedly I'm a bit fuzzy on the NHL Draft, but is 1 player really worth 4 1st round picks?
Quote:
If the Predators decline to match the offer, they would receive a package of four first-round draft picks from the Flyers as compensation.

_________________
Quote:
Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right....


July 19th, 2012, 3:35 pm
Profile
Post Re: At least one NHL team has the right idea...
TheRealWags wrote:
Admittedly I'm a bit fuzzy on the NHL Draft, but is 1 player really worth 4 1st round picks?
Quote:
If the Predators decline to match the offer, they would receive a package of four first-round draft picks from the Flyers as compensation.



Yes... I believe the only first round player that we have on our team that we drafted is Jimmy Howard (and he's not even that good). In the NHL there is literally hundreds of good prospects, and none of them are ready (think of what the NFL would look like without the NCAA). There are literally hundreds of kids that are really good at 18, 19 that get drafted every year in the first four to five rounds that never pan out. Datsyuk was either a 6th or 7th rounder, and Hank was as well (one went in the 6th, one went in the 7th in the same draft). Four first round picks is literally nothing.


July 19th, 2012, 3:39 pm
Modmin Dude
User avatar

Joined: December 31st, 2004, 9:55 am
Posts: 11968
Post Re: At least one NHL team has the right idea...
wjb21ndtown wrote:
TheRealWags wrote:
Admittedly I'm a bit fuzzy on the NHL Draft, but is 1 player really worth 4 1st round picks?
Quote:
If the Predators decline to match the offer, they would receive a package of four first-round draft picks from the Flyers as compensation.
Yes... I believe the only first round player that we have on our team that we drafted is Jimmy Howard (and he's not even that good). In the NHL there is literally hundreds of good prospects, and none of them are ready (think of what the NFL would look like without the NCAA). There are literally hundreds of kids that are really good at 18, 19 that get drafted every year in the first four to five rounds that never pan out. Datsyuk was either a 6th or 7th rounder, and Hank was as well (one went in the 6th, one went in the 7th in the same draft). Four first round picks is literally nothing.
Thx! I realize that we've had good luck / scouts locating the later round gem (Hank, Datsyuk), but wasn't sure if it was a league-wide occurrence or just for teams that have depth and good scouting / mgmt.

_________________
Quote:
Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right....


July 19th, 2012, 3:54 pm
Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ] 

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by STSoftware.