View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently October 24th, 2014, 3:21 am

Reply to topic  [ 53 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 PFT Preseason Power Rankings No. 13: Detroit Lions 
Butkus Award Winner

Post Re: PFT Preseason Power Rankings No. 13: Detroit Lions
wjb21ndtown wrote:
Shotty wrote:
TheRealWags wrote:
Shotty wrote:
Kevin Smith was great when he came back next year but injured his ankle again. We will have 3 decent runningbacks, all capable of having good seasons. Assuming they stay healthy, I think Smith will have around 900 rushing yards, Best will have about 550 (and be used mainly on screens), and Leshoure will be our power back and have around 400 yards and 8 touchdowns, which is about 115 rushing yards per game, not counting reverses we run with our WRs. All 3 being healthy will greatly reduce the chances of all 3 being injured again. Did you see Fairley in the 1st quarter of the December game @ the Saints? He was dominating on almost every play until re-injuring his foot. Maybe Reiff and Backus split the snaps at LT? Either way I think the team, whether their record is better or worse, will be much better than last year.
I think therein lies the rub..How can we assume any of the RBs will be healthy? All of them have a history of injury (though LeShoure having the least, I believe).

Jahvid hasn't been hit in 8 months, and when the season starts it'll be 10 months. Leshoure feels he's 100 percent. Kevin Smith has gotten past ankle issues, and he's one of the hardest working and humble guys on our team. All 3 will total at least 1,300 rushing yards. I just want to see how the carries are split.

1,300 rushing yards is complete garbage.

You realize that last year the worst team in the league had 1,427 rushing yards, right? We were fourth from last with 1,523, and I don't think we're going to do much better this season. I think we will be within 50 yards of last years total, which is completely unacceptable.

Truth, but I honestly think each is capable of around 40 yards a game. That's all we need. Maybe put 1 new back in for every other run? Maybe Kevin Smith stays healthy all season and breaks out and has a 1,200 yard season. He's definitely capable of big games. Jahvid can have occasional home runs. Mikel can be great. Now thinking of it, Michael Bush would've been a huge addition.

July 20th, 2012, 1:44 am
National Champion

wjb21ndtown wrote:
Shotty wrote:
TheRealWags wrote:
Shotty wrote:
Kevin Smith was great when he came back next year but injured his ankle again. We will have 3 decent runningbacks, all capable of having good seasons. Assuming they stay healthy, I think Smith will have around 900 rushing yards, Best will have about 550 (and be used mainly on screens), and Leshoure will be our power back and have around 400 yards and 8 touchdowns, which is about 115 rushing yards per game, not counting reverses we run with our WRs. All 3 being healthy will greatly reduce the chances of all 3 being injured again. Did you see Fairley in the 1st quarter of the December game @ the Saints? He was dominating on almost every play until re-injuring his foot. Maybe Reiff and Backus split the snaps at LT? Either way I think the team, whether their record is better or worse, will be much better than last year.
I think therein lies the rub..How can we assume any of the RBs will be healthy? All of them have a history of injury (though LeShoure having the least, I believe).

Jahvid hasn't been hit in 8 months, and when the season starts it'll be 10 months. Leshoure feels he's 100 percent. Kevin Smith has gotten past ankle issues, and he's one of the hardest working and humble guys on our team. All 3 will total at least 1,300 rushing yards. I just want to see how the carries are split.

You realize that last year the worst team in the league had 1,427 rushing yards, right? We were fourth from last with 1,523, and I don't think we're going to do much better this season. I think we will be within 50 yards of last years total, which is completely unacceptable.

Yeah. But you are forgetting that our top three rushers combined had 1062 yards. He's saying 1300 from our top three. Had we done that last year our total rushing yards as a team would have been closer to 1800.

Look we are going to be a runningback by committee team this year. Unless Leshoure has a break out year. We have to deal with that. If Best, Leshoure, and Smith combined for 1300, I'd be ok with that.

July 20th, 2012, 2:09 pm
Hystrix wrote:
wjb21ndtown wrote:
Shotty wrote:
TheRealWags wrote:
Shotty wrote:

Yeah. But you are forgetting that our top three rushers combined had 1062 yards. He's saying 1300 from our top three. Had we done that last year our total rushing yards as a team would have been closer to 1800.

Look we are going to be a runningback by committee team this year. Unless Leshoure has a break out year. We have to deal with that. If Best, Leshoure, and Smith combined for 1300, I'd be ok with that.

I don't think he, or anyone else, is counting on us signing, or needing to sign a FA running back that gains 200+ yards later in the year due to injury. Sorry, I think your explanation is ridiculous.

What you're saying is, "he's (Shotty) stating that our 'top 3' running backs will gain 1,300 yards), but then your adding "we'll sign a FA in the middle of the season that picks up another 500." That's flat out ridiculous, and I think you're putting words in his mouth that he has no intention of saying.

I really can't see Shotty's prediction predicated on us getting a bunch of yards from someone that won't be on the day 1 roster.

July 20th, 2012, 3:12 pm
National Champion

wjb21ndtown wrote:
Hystrix wrote:

I don't think he, or anyone else, is counting on us signing, or needing to sign a FA running back that gains 200+ yards later in the year due to injury. Sorry, I think your explanation is ridiculous.

What you're saying is, "he's (Shotty) stating that our 'top 3' running backs will gain 1,300 yards), but then your adding "we'll sign a FA in the middle of the season that picks up another 500." That's flat out ridiculous, and I think you're putting words in his mouth that he has no intention of saying.

:shock:

Wow. That's not what I was stating at all. I was stating that our top 3 RB gaining 1300 yards would be better than what our top 3 produced last year. Of course the situations won't be the same this year. Who said they would be?

EDIT- The 1800 yards came from last year we had 1523 years but 1062 came from the top three.

If the top three had 1300 yards then that would add 238 yard to our total. 1523+238 is 1761 yards. I rounded up. That's all I was saying.

July 20th, 2012, 3:15 pm
Hystrix wrote:
wjb21ndtown wrote:
Hystrix wrote:

Wow. That's not what I was stating at all. I was stating that our top 3 RB gaining 1300 yards would be better than what our top 3 produced last year. Of course the situations won't be the same this year. Who said they would be?

EDIT- The 1800 yards came from last year we had 1523 years but 1062 came from the top three.

If the top three had 1300 yards then that would add 238 yard to our total. 1523+238 is 1761 yards. I rounded up. That's all I was saying.

Yea, but the majority of those extra yards not counted for the top 3 in 2011 is due to the Lions signing Kevin Smith in the middle of last season. That's my point.

July 20th, 2012, 3:27 pm
Shotty wrote:
wjb21ndtown wrote:
Shotty wrote:
mwill2 wrote:
Pablo wrote:
You guys are funny, I don't know if 13 is an underdog - that would be some team in 20's. The Lions are ranked as a fringe playoff team along with other NFC teams like Dallas and Atlanta. Sounds about right to me.

Injuires will help flush some of this out as usual.

Yep, the Lions were a fringe playoff team last year and there's no clear indication at this point that they'll be significantly improved in 2013.

What about Tulloch and Durant having a full offseason? Fairley and Leshoure playing? More secondary depth? Reiff adding depth and possibly starting? People can use the excuse of our comeback wins getting us our 10-6 records last year, but the other team didn't do it for us. We held Dallas and Minnesota to 3 points in the last 30 minutes and the Panthers to 8 points. If our defense can play 4 quarters of football and the 3rd down conversions both improve, let alone cutting down on stupid penalties, this team is frightening when healthy. Everyone saw how our defense played against San Diego. They could do that every game when healthy and with time this offseason to understand the system more.

The best point you make here is an unknown - Reiff.

I don't see any reason to believe that Durant and Tulloch will be much better than they have been in the past. They've largely been the players that they were on their former respective teams, and they've been that sort of player for years. I see no reason to believe that they will "break out."

What if Leshoure gets more playing time? How well does he perform? Can he block (remember, it was the ability to block alone that caused Pinner to miss most of his first two seasons, or to at least receive limited playing time)? IMO Leshoure is a T.J. Duckett clone, at best. Nice to have, but he's no game breaker in my book.

What if Fairley plays? Is he significantly better than Corey Williams? Is he significantly better than SLH? That upgrade, even if it does pan out, is marginal at best. We already have a full rotation of good DTs.

IMO the BIGGEST improvement is going to be having somewhat of a true #2 WR this year. From most of the reports that I've seen Titus Young is the clear cut #2 WR right now, and Nate is being busted down to slot WR (proving my point that the dood is over-paid, but whatever), and the potential that Broyles has to be a good/great #4, and return punts and kicks.

That said, we still have very real concerns on our OL, and our running game is going to be a joke. I'll be shocked if we get a combined total of more than 1,600 rushing yards this year. Why is that such an issue? IMO Stafford is still not experienced enough to calmly and confidently beat the blitz. Most teams do it with their running game, really, really good Qbs can do it on their own (I'd argue only Brady, Rogers, Payton, and Breese do it well). Without a running game I think our offense will continue to sputter at times. It also means we won't be able to control the clock or close out games.

If Smith has over 600 yards I'll be shocked. He had one game where he had 140 yards, 40+ of which were from one run, and 7 games where he had less than 50 yards. If he was hurt for all 7 or so of those weeks, shame on the Lions for trotting him out there. If Best only ends up with 550 we're going to be in trouble (but I agree, he won't get more than 550 due to injury... and with that I say... we're in trouble... that's why I think our running game is going to be garbage.).

July 20th, 2012, 3:36 pm
National Champion

wjb21ndtown wrote:
Hystrix wrote:
wjb21ndtown wrote:
Hystrix wrote:

Yea, but the majority of those extra yards not counted for the top 3 in 2011 is due to the Lions signing Kevin Smith in the middle of last season. That's my point.

I counted Kevin Smith in the top 3.

July 20th, 2012, 3:43 pm
Pop Warner Rookie

Why does everyone think one receiver makes the bears a better team than the lions...?

July 20th, 2012, 4:23 pm
ST Coordinator – Danny Crossman

millam21 wrote:
Why does everyone think one receiver makes the bears a better team than the lions...?

One reciever doesnt make them better than us, it makes them better, their Defense is significantly better than ours. The addition of Marshall makes their offense better and to some it's the scale tipper that makes them a tad better...but we'll know soon enough! Sept is RIGHT AROUND THE CORNER!!!!!!!

July 20th, 2012, 4:44 pm
Hystrix wrote:
wjb21ndtown wrote:
Hystrix wrote:
wjb21ndtown wrote:
Hystrix wrote:

I counted Kevin Smith in the top 3.

Unbelievable...

Ok, let me try this one more time...

It doesn't matter that Kevin Smith was in your top 3. We signed him because Best got hurt. That gave YOU an extra running back to count outside of the Top 3 (no matter whom it was) that shouldn't be counted. That extra guy ONLY exists because KS was signed. Get it now?

Look at it this way, if you're still confused - Kevin Smith's yards would have counted toward Javid Best's had Javid not gotten hurt. Had that been the case, Keiland Williams' 200 yards WOULD BE in the top 3. It WAS that injury that allowed us to have a 4th RB with 200 yards. How's that explanation for ya?

The bottom line is that any team shouldn't be using 4,5, or 6 RBs. If that's the case then you had some major injuries along the way. I don't think anyone is making the point that the "top 3" will get X yards, and the guys that we sign to replace them from injury will get Y yards on top of that, giving us a bigger grand total.

July 20th, 2012, 4:59 pm
millam21 wrote:

It's the addition of a true #1 WR on a team that didn't have a #1 WR. Take any team's #1 WR away and its a HUGE blow. Look at the Lions offense without CJ.

I'm not saying that Marshal is CJ, but any team without their top receiving target is going to struggle.

Also, this move allows Johnny Knox to be busted down to the #2 spot, where he should be, and it puts Hester in the slot or further down, where he should be.

That said, they also added Ashlen Jeffery, a 2nd round WR, and their OL should be better this year too.

July 20th, 2012, 5:03 pm

Has johnny knox even reported back yet? I still havn't heard if he is going to return yet? that hit last year still gives me the willies!

July 20th, 2012, 5:16 pm
regularjoe12 wrote:
Has johnny knox even reported back yet? I still havn't heard if he is going to return yet? that hit last year still gives me the willies!

IDK, I'm guessing that's why they drafted Jefferies. He hasn't retired though. I think he had back surgery last December, but I haven't heard anything about 2012 yet.

July 20th, 2012, 5:29 pm

wjb21ndtown wrote:
regularjoe12 wrote:

IDK, I'm guessing that's why they drafted Jefferies. He hasn't retired though. I think he had back surgery last December, but I haven't heard anything about 2012 yet.

All I know is that a human being is not supposed to fold in half like that! I wish him the best but im doubtful about his return to football.

July 20th, 2012, 5:34 pm
regularjoe12 wrote:
wjb21ndtown wrote:
regularjoe12 wrote:

All I know is that a human being is not supposed to fold in half like that! I wish him the best but im doubtful about his return to football.

Yea, I expected to hear his retirement announced after back surgery, but we'll see I guess.

July 20th, 2012, 5:35 pm
Reply to topic   [ 53 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next