View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently October 1st, 2014, 6:38 am

Reply to topic  [ 83 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 should we cut aaron barry? 
Hall of Fame Player

Post Re: should we cut aaron barry?
chitownlion wrote:
I'm saying it is an empty gesture and most of the players know it. This will not stop stupid behavior in the long run. My point is when you do this who is it really hurting? IMHO not the player who committed the stupid act but the other players who will have to depend on an inferior talent at Berry's position. Just my opinion.

Well, considering we have never really gotten anything from Berry in the past, I don't see it as us putting inferior talent on the field. I actually see it as an intelligence upgrade.

July 23rd, 2012, 2:10 pm
BillySims wrote:
njroar wrote:
Per Dave Birkett and Adam Schefter, Lions cut Aaron Berry this morning.

Sirius NFL Radio is reporting the same thing.

Edited to add: We needed 1 of our rookie CB's to be better than their draft spot. Now, we need 2 of them to be better than their draft spot.

It's not going to be Greenwood, he's starting the season on the PUP list after having surgery today...

July 23rd, 2012, 2:13 pm
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

i might be blanking but i dont remember him being THAT good. other than a few nice batted balls in Denver, i just remember him getting beat for a clutch TD vs Tampa, dropping a big INT in the playoffs, and getting injured.

also, Tracy Porter isnt that good either. he picked off a silly favre pass and ran one back in the superbowl. other than that, i guess he was pretty hilarious in the marshawn lynch highlight the year following that superbowl. based off 2011 stats, Jacob Lacey was the better player.

July 23rd, 2012, 2:33 pm
Baton Girl

That may be the case. I have no real admiration for the player, however I did think he was an ascending player talent wise and could have added something this year. He did take the first team reps during OTAs so the coaching staff seemed to think he was at least one of the better talents on the Lions.

July 23rd, 2012, 2:34 pm
Play by Play Announcer - Al Michaels

chitownlion wrote:
This whole teach him a lesson thing is an exercise in futility. The guy was an undrafted free agent that made the team so he is probably making the league minimum. Is there really anyone who is "outraged" right now that does not think this guy will be playing for the same contract at some point this year? He had the talent to potentially start on one of the 32 teams and when a team needs a CB due to skill deficiency or injury he will be on a roster somewhere. If teaching someone a lesson is giving them the same deal in a different location while potentially hurting your own chance at success then I guess this is the right thing to do. If the goal is to win the most games and a Super Bowl with the most talented 53 guys this seems like a bad business decision. Please do not give me the organization will be hurt because I will stay home and not go to the stadium. Enough will and most money is made from TV anyways. In the end this move was made to appease the fan base who would have been just as happy in the end with this guy if the result was a Super Bowl. Not saying he is the difference between winning and not winning a Super Bowl, just that to do so you should employ the best 53 athletes available to the team.

I don't think cutting him is about "teaching a lesson" at all. You don't want a violent criminal as an employee. I think Berry would have been cut for this incident regardless of the other Lions arrests this year. The use of a gun is the game-changer here. For that reason, I doubt Berry will be playing for any team in 2012. He'll probably get a year-long suspension and probably will get only limited opportunities in 2013 and beyond.

Last edited by mwill2 on July 23rd, 2012, 10:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

July 23rd, 2012, 2:59 pm
Varsity Captain

The Lions made the right move, and any NFL team that gives him a second chance will also be the NFL team that gives him his last chance. The Lions needed to send a message to the players and fans. Kudos to the Lions staff.

FYI: It's not like the Patriots had great CBs all year last year, and they made it to the Super Bowl.

July 23rd, 2012, 5:13 pm
Team MVP

49ers wrote:
The Lions made the right move, and any NFL team that gives him a second chance will also be the NFL team that gives him his last chance. The Lions needed to send a message to the players and fans. Kudos to the Lions staff.

FYI: It's not like the Patriots had great CBs all year last year, and they made it to the Super Bowl.

Well said, and I agree.

April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.

Lionbacker2 Fantasy Champion 2011

July 23rd, 2012, 6:49 pm
QB Coach

http://paradigmsm.com/blog/aaron-berry- ... Qo.twitter

Aaron Berry's statement after being released. Gee if only he could have come to this supposed revelation before getting arrested twice and getting cut.

July 24th, 2012, 12:58 am
QB Coach

I forgot about Mike Jenkins. Do we make a play for him if his shoulder is ok?

July 24th, 2012, 1:19 am
QB Coach

Talk is cheap and that's been the problem with professional sports. A player gets in trouble and he offers this half baked apology for the things he's done wrong, and "I'll be a better man, player, team mate for having gone through this." They might as well be reading it off of a teleprompter!

SHOW ME! Act like this is Missouri instead of Michigan and SHOW ME you're going to do different, don't talk about it, be about it!

2 Chronicles 10:14, "if my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land."

July 24th, 2012, 9:11 am
RIP Killer

inheritedlionsfan wrote:
http://paradigmsm.com/blog/aaron-berry-issues-statement#.UA3wxKhHjQo.twitter

Aaron Berry's statement after being released. Gee if only he could have come to this supposed revelation before getting arrested twice and getting cut.

Reading these three quotes made me want to vomit. Aaron Berry talking about being sorry. Three strikes and you're out buddy. He spoke of learning from the experiences. Problem is, he went from ranting at Lions fans on Twitter, to getting a DUI, to pointing a gun at an unarmed person while on probation for the DUI.

I mean, what did he learn other than how to make things worse for himself? Here's to hoping that no team in the NFL signs him, and he is forced to play either in the CFL or some other "land of the lost" place for former NFL players.

July 24th, 2012, 1:09 pm
Color Commentator - John Madden

2 in 2 days. Lions cut Johnny Culbreath and sign Jon Scott. So much for Culbreath being our RT of the future.

July 24th, 2012, 4:13 pm
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

Wayne Fontes wrote:
2 in 2 days. Lions cut Johnny Culbreath and sign Jon Scott. So much for Culbreath being our RT of the future.

Always liked Scott--glad he's back.

July 24th, 2012, 4:24 pm
League MVP

scott isnt anything special but more likely to make an impact this season than culbreath

July 24th, 2012, 4:35 pm
The Legend wrote:
scott isnt anything special but more likely to make an impact this season than culbreath

Some people on here (or some one on here) stated that Culbreath was going to potentially be our LT this year... Hmmmm...

July 24th, 2012, 4:46 pm
Reply to topic   [ 83 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next