View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently July 22nd, 2014, 7:53 pm

Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] 
 Rick Nash to New York Rangers 
Post Rick Nash to New York Rangers
http://www.thestar.com/sports/hockey/nh ... ue-jackets

Quote:
Bob Mitchell
Sports Reporter

Rick Nash is heading to Broadway in a deal that might give the New York Rangers another shot at the Stanley Cup.

Blue Jackets GM Scott Howson maintained all along that he wanted at least two front line forwards, a prospect and pick for his disgruntled star power forward.

It’s debatable whether he achieved all of those objectives with the Rangers sending centres Artem Anisimov, Brandon Dubinsky, defenceman Tim Erixon and a first-round pick to Columbus.

As trades go, this one certainly wasn’t the blockbuster that hockey fans had been anticipating. None of the players heading to Columbus will generate a rush for season tickets.

The Rangers finished first in the East last season. With Nash, 28, and star centre Brad Richards, they have a powerful one-two offensive punch. As well, Marian Gaborik will be lost until at least November because of surgery to repair a torn labrun in his shoulder.

The Brampton-born Nash had 30 goals and 29 assists last season for the Western Conference’s last-place team. He remains one of the NHL’s premier power forwards.

The deal gives Columbus three first-round picks for 2012-13. Besides their own, they also have the Los Angeles Kings top pick from the Jeff Carter trade.

The Rangers also got minor-league defenceman Steve Delisle and a conditional third round draft pick, which goes back to Columbus if New York reaches the Stanley Cup final.

Neither Dubinsky, 26, nor Anisimov, 24, are considered game-breakers. In his best season, Dubinsky had 54 points in 2010-11. Anisimov had 44 points in 2010-11 as well.

Dubinsky had 10 goals and 24 assists in 77 games last season and no goals in the Rangers’ failed nine-game playoff run before being upset by the Washington Capitals. Anisimov scored 16 goals and 20 assists in 79 games as well as three goals and seven assists in the playoffs.

“I would like to thank all my fans in the city of New York for everything. My eight years being part of the New York Rangers has been magical,” Dubinsky tweeted after the trade was announced.

Erixon, 21, could turn out to be the best player going to Columbus. The American-born defenceman has been playing mostly in the Swedish Elite league. He had two assists in 18 games with the Rangers.

Howson had been trying to trade his captain since last February’s trade deadline when it became widely known that Nash had asked to be traded.

The Rangers were among the teams that tried to swing a deal back then but Howson’s asking price was too high. Columbus wanted the Rangers’ star in the making, Chris Kredier, but Rangers GM Glen Sather refused to include him in any deal. The former Boston College star was a big-time player in New York’s playoff run.

Nash reportedly wouldn’t waive his no-trade clause to any Canadian team. But the Rangers were one of six teams that were on his list.

With the Rangers, Nash now has a chance to play for a Stanley Cup contender, something he was never going to in the foreseeable future with the Blue Jackets.

He has scored 30 goals seven times and twice hit the 40-goal mark in his nine-year NHL career, all with Columbus where he had one four-game playoff series against the Detroit Red Wings. He has scored 547 points in 674 games.

Nash was the No. 1 pick in the 2002 entry draft of eligible junior players. He was named captain in 2008.

The right-winger has competed twice for Canada at the Olympics, winning a gold medal in 2010. He has also played in four world championships, winning three medals and a gold in 2007.

Nash has six years left on the eight-year, $62.4 million contract he signed in 2010. He’ll make $7.6 million next season with a cap hit of $7.8 million for all six years. He’ll make $8.2 million in his final year in 2017-18.

Ken Holland dicked the dog this offseason and last. He has officially dismantled a great team and the Wings are destined to suck for the next 2-3 years. I'm disgusted with him.

July 23rd, 2012, 4:42 pm
RIP Killer

Post Re: Rick Nash to New York Rangers
Umm...ok. Did you not understand that he made a nice offer for Nash and Columbus wouldnt even return his call? Just keep on bitching, you can't force a team to trade you someone.

Suter and Parise got way more than they were worth...and ken made a nice offer for Suter. Is weber worth what Philly offered him? I believe he is, but that's a he'll of a lot of scratch. Wings should have made him a heft offer, but 4 1st rounders is quite a bit, despite how well anyone drafts.

July 23rd, 2012, 6:09 pm
Team MVP

conversion02 wrote:
Umm...ok. Did you not understand that he made a nice offer for Nash and Columbus wouldnt even return his call? Just keep on bitching, you can't force a team to trade you someone.

Suter and Parise got way more than they were worth...and ken made a nice offer for Suter. Is weber worth what Philly offered him? I believe he is, but that's a he'll of a lot of scratch. Wings should have made him a heft offer, but 4 1st rounders is quite a bit, despite how well anyone drafts.

This.

April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.

Lionbacker2 Fantasy Champion 2011

July 23rd, 2012, 10:12 pm
conversion02 wrote:

BS - four first round picks is nothing, especially for the Wings. The only person of consequence on the current roster that we drafted in the first round is Kronwall (I think Howard was a first round pick, but he's a second rounder). That offer to Webber should have been made or beaten by the Wings, and it should have been done last year (I'd contend that we could have had him for $20 million LESS the offseason before last, when I said we should have went all in and signed him then, same length of contract). It's a lot of scratch, but Webber is worth it. Kind of flies in the face of you stating 1) that's it too high of a price to pay (Phili thought it was worth it), and 2) that you said that "teams don't poach other teams players" - which was a BS argument when you made it, and you knew it.

July 24th, 2012, 2:58 pm
RIP Killer

And Nashville matched the offer, so what's your point? Holland could have offered $15M/yr and still wouldn't have gotten him.

July 24th, 2012, 6:11 pm
conversion02 wrote:
And Nashville matched the offer, so what's your point? Holland could have offered $15M/yr and still wouldn't have gotten him.

BS... The point is, if we would have offered Webber the deal LAST YEAR Nashville wouldn't have been able to match it, period. It was advancing to the semis that allowed them to be able to afford Webber. The Wings LOST MONEY last year because they didn't advance. I don't mean that they missed out on revenue, I mean as a whole they literally lost money.

July 26th, 2012, 4:51 pm
1st Round Pick

Location: Cloudy Town, Minnesota. 763.18 miles from Ford Field
Why the hell would CBJ want to trade with a team IN there conference let alone division? We would never have got Nash and mostly everyone knew that but you apparently..

Follow me on Twitter: @W2G4U

July 28th, 2012, 12:12 pm
Profile WWW
Lions2SB2 wrote:
Why the hell would CBJ want to trade with a team IN there conference let alone division? We would never have got Nash and mostly everyone knew that but you apparently..

Still doesn't discredit my claims about Webber.

July 28th, 2012, 12:44 pm
1st Round Pick

Location: Cloudy Town, Minnesota. 763.18 miles from Ford Field
wjb21ndtown wrote:
Lions2SB2 wrote:

It's hard to take you serious when you can't spell the guy last name right, it's Weber with one "b" but what do you expect from a guy like you. Also you seem to keep bring him up when you were the one to start THIS topic about NASH.

Follow me on Twitter: @W2G4U

July 29th, 2012, 3:16 pm
Profile WWW
Lions2SB2 wrote:
wjb21ndtown wrote:
Lions2SB2 wrote:

It's hard to take you serious when you can't spell the guy last name right, it's Weber with one "b" but what do you expect from a guy like you. Also you seem to keep bring him up when you were the one to start THIS topic about NASH.

Did I start this topic about Nash, or did I specifically state in the very first post that Ken Holland dicked the dog THIS OFFSEASON!? And seriously, you're going to bitch about spelling, on the internet?

Here, let me fix this for you:
Quote:
It's hard to take you seriously when you can't spell the guy's last name right. It's Weber with one "b," but what do you (improper use of "you") expect from a guy like you (either, "I wouldn't expect anything more from you" or "but what is to be expected from a guy like you" would be correct). Also, you seem to keep bring him (Improper pronoun use. Pronouns refer to the last noun, which would be me with your garbage broken English.) up when you were the one to start THIS topic about NASH.

Gosh, how can I take you seriously!?!?!?

August 1st, 2012, 3:04 pm
ST Coordinator – Danny Crossman

I don't care who you are..that's funny right there! Bitter..but hilarious! =D> =D> :lol:

August 1st, 2012, 7:18 pm
Reply to topic   [ 11 posts ]