View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently October 25th, 2014, 7:54 am

Reply to topic  [ 37 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Nick Lidstrom 
Modmin Dude

Post Re: Nick Lidstrom
Quote:
Red Wings' Nicklas Lidstrom wins seventh Norris Trophy
7:03 PM, Jun. 22, 2011

LAS VEGAS — Detroit Red Wings captain Nicklas Lidstrom tonight won his seventh Norris Trophy as the NHL's best defenseman, putting him within one of Bobby Orr’s record.

Lidstrom edged Shea Weber of the Nashville Predators, 736-727, in the closest race for first place since 1996, when Chicago's Chris Chelios finished five points ahead of Boston's Ray Bourque, 408-403. With Lidstrom, Weber and third-place Zdeno Chara of the Boston Bruins receiving similar first-place vote totals (Lidstrom 35, Weber 32, Chara 33) and the trio separated by just 48 points, this marks the tightest three-way race for the Norris Trophy since its introduction in 1954.

Lidstrom previously won the Norris in 2001-03 and 2006-08.

Lidstrom was second in the league among defensemen with 62 points this season, including 16 goals. He was third among defensemen in assists.

Lidstrom lost out on the Mark Messier leadership award, which went to Chara, and the Lady Byng trophy for gentlemanly play, which went to Tampa Bay Lightning forward Martin St. Louis.

Red Wing Pavel Datsyuk, who did not attend the festivities, had his three-year streak of winning the Selke Trophy for best defensive forward end. It went to Vancouver’s Ryan Kesler (Livonia).

Boston goalie Tim Thomas, a native of Flint, won his second Vezina Trophy just a week after helping lead the Bruins to the Stanley Cup and claiming the Conn Smythe Trophy.

Ducks forward Corey Perry, who led the NHL in goals (50), took home the Hart Trophy as league MVP, ousting Vancouver's Daniel Sedin and St. Louis.

Comedian Jay Mohr is serving as host of the awards show, with live performances from music stars Dierks Bentley and Far East Movement.

Contact Helene St. James: 313-222-2295 or hstjames@freepress.com. Free Press news services contributed.

http://www.freep.com/article/20110622/S ... ris-Trophy

June 23rd, 2011, 12:30 am
Commissioner of the NFL – Roger Goodell

I'm glad to hear that the Wings re-signed Lidstrom and that he won his 7th Norris Trophy, although I think Chara deserved it more.

Now, the Wings have Lidstrom, Kronwall, Stuart, and Kindl under contract for next season on defense. It's also nearly certain that Brendan Smith will make the team next season, so that leaves a need for two more defensemen. Jonathan Ericsson might return, but I think he'll go elsewhere. Regardless, I expect them to sign a big time d man on the first day of free agency. Who? I'm not sure.

June 24th, 2011, 8:06 am
slybri19 wrote:
I'm glad to hear that the Wings re-signed Lidstrom and that he won his 7th Norris Trophy, although I think Chara deserved it more.

Now, the Wings have Lidstrom, Kronwall, Stuart, and Kindl under contract for next season on defense. It's also nearly certain that Brendan Smith will make the team next season, so that leaves a need for two more defensemen. Jonathan Ericsson might return, but I think he'll go elsewhere. Regardless, I expect them to sign a big time d man on the first day of free agency. Who? I'm not sure.

I'm all in for Shea Webber... Does anyone have any other options that they would consider. IMO this FA class sucks. I'm not a huge Ericsson fan, if he leaves I won't mind.

June 25th, 2011, 4:27 pm
Commissioner of the NFL – Roger Goodell

I'm sorry, but Shea Weber to the Red Wings just isn't going to happen. Nashville filed for arbitration, so the Wings can't even make him a RFA offer now, but that was unlikely to happen anyway.

My guess is that the Wings will target either Christian Ehrhoff, James Wisniewski, Joni Pitkanen, Tomas Kaberle, or Kevin Bieska. Wiz seems the most likely since he's a local kid, but he's kinda weak defensively. We'll find out on July 1st.

June 26th, 2011, 7:51 am
RIP Killer

Bingo ^^^

June 26th, 2011, 9:41 pm
slybri19 wrote:
I'm sorry, but Shea Weber to the Red Wings just isn't going to happen. Nashville filed for arbitration, so the Wings can't even make him a RFA offer now, but that was unlikely to happen anyway.

My guess is that the Wings will target either Christian Ehrhoff, James Wisniewski, Joni Pitkanen, Tomas Kaberle, or Kevin Bieska. Wiz seems the most likely since he's a local kid, but he's kinda weak defensively. We'll find out on July 1st.

Doesn't it depend on the outcome of the arbitration? From what I understand Nashville isn't prepared to pay him over $4.5 per, I think he's worth more. If they're willing to let him go via trade, I'd be all over it.

June 29th, 2011, 3:47 pm
slybri19 wrote:

I stand behind it. We should have made him an RFA offer. We got no one, and it shows. IMO our D is garbage without a big physical presence.

April 12th, 2012, 9:06 am
1st Round Pick

Location: Cloudy Town, Minnesota. 763.18 miles from Ford Field
I think #5 is done, his body language sure showed it last night. :(

Follow me on Twitter: @W2G4U

April 21st, 2012, 3:06 pm
Profile WWW
conversion02 wrote:
He'll probably win another Norris trophy this year. He's still one of the top 5 best defenseman in the league. Also, isn't Webber a RFA???

Or probably not...

July 23rd, 2012, 4:44 pm
RIP Killer

Damn, I'm not psychic. Its too bad at 40+ he's still one of the best.

What's your point other than to try and act like you're always right and you know everything. Stop trolling wjb, it's always either bitching or acting like you know more than the professionals (I.e., every sport, every offseason, every draft)

July 23rd, 2012, 6:10 pm
conversion02 wrote:
Damn, I'm not psychic. Its too bad at 40+ he's still one of the best.

What's your point other than to try and act like you're always right and you know everything. Stop trolling wjb, it's always either bitching or acting like you know more than the professionals (I.e., every sport, every offseason, every draft)

Not trolling at all... Just pointing out that I was correct and you were wrong. I'm willing to put a player out there for the move that I think they should make/should have made. It can go either way. It has the potential to blow up in my face. If Nick would have played great last season (he didn't), and if we would have actually done something in the playoffs (we didn't), you could have came on here and called me out. Instead, the EXACT DAMN PLAYER that I said we should sign screwed us and knocked us out of the playoffs.

July 24th, 2012, 3:09 pm
RIP Killer

And that same player would absolutely not be going anywhere, as Nashville matched a hell of an offer from Philly. It was inevitable. Nick still played well, but he was over 40. Your comment is still worthless.

July 24th, 2012, 6:12 pm
It's not worthless at all.

The point is, if we would have offered Webber the deal LAST YEAR Nashville wouldn't have been able to match it, period. It was advancing to the semis that allowed them to be able to afford Webber. The Wings LOST MONEY last year because they didn't advance. I don't mean that they missed out on revenue, I mean as a whole they literally lost money.

Further, it proves that you can't admit when you're wrong.

July 26th, 2012, 4:53 pm
RIP Killer

Well, since you always think you're right and everyone else is wrong...

1) The Preds could have paid him well over $10M per year last year. Very, very few players are worth 1/7 of the current cap, even Lids in his prime. And they would have given him bonuses to knock the cap hit down.
2) Judging from the comments, no team around the league was looking to pay him that much, which is why the best offer he got from Philly was matched. Many wanted to give him an offer sheet, but only one did. Can you name a single RFA that hasn't had an offer sheet matched by the team? An offer to an RFA isn't common anyway. You see it once or twice an offseason at best.
3) He visited with Detroit and ended up leaving without any formal offer. You have no idea why, neither does anyone else.
4) he wasn't going anywhere anyway. He said so last offseason when asked if he would consider coming back to Vancouver. He likes Nashville and he didn't plan to leave and the team sure as hell wasn't letting him go.
5) The Preds knew they were losing Suter coming into the offseason, especially after signing Rinnke, no way they would lose Webber too, especially when Webber is the better player.
6) why did NOBODY else offer Webber a contract last year as an RFA? He went to arb, so there was definite time to do so.
...I could go on, but I think I've made my point.

July 26th, 2012, 11:51 pm
conversion02 wrote:
Well, since you always think you're right and everyone else is wrong...

1) The Preds could have paid him well over $10M per year last year. Very, very few players are worth 1/7 of the current cap, even Lids in his prime. And they would have given him bonuses to knock the cap hit down.
2) Judging from the comments, no team around the league was looking to pay him that much, which is why the best offer he got from Philly was matched. Many wanted to give him an offer sheet, but only one did. Can you name a single RFA that hasn't had an offer sheet matched by the team? An offer to an RFA isn't common anyway. You see it once or twice an offseason at best.
3) He visited with Detroit and ended up leaving without any formal offer. You have no idea why, neither does anyone else.
4) he wasn't going anywhere anyway. He said so last offseason when asked if he would consider coming back to Vancouver. He likes Nashville and he didn't plan to leave and the team sure as hell wasn't letting him go.
5) The Preds knew they were losing Suter coming into the offseason, especially after signing Rinnke, no way they would lose Webber too, especially when Webber is the better player.
6) why did NOBODY else offer Webber a contract last year as an RFA? He went to arb, so there was definite time to do so.
...I could go on, but I think I've made my point.

No, the Preds could NOT have paid him over ten million last year. Why? Because they were losing money! Until they made the 2nd round of the playoffs last year they were broke! We COULD have pressured them into losing a valuable talent, but didn't, and we paid the price for it. Instead it was the Wings, not the Preds that lost money last year. He SHOULD HAVE gotten that formal offer from us. You didn't really make any point, other than "no one else did it, so we probably shouldn't have either," but I showed you exactly why that's not true.

July 27th, 2012, 12:43 pm
Reply to topic   [ 37 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next