View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently August 28th, 2014, 7:16 am

Reply to topic  [ 25 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Lions cut Culbreath? 
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

Post Lions cut Culbreath?
From the Berry thread:

Wayne Fontes wrote:
2 in 2 days. Lions cut Johnny Culbreath and sign Jon Scott. So much for Culbreath being our RT of the future.

Anyone got Links, Articles, More details?

I thought they coaching staff was High on him? (pun intended)

July 24th, 2012, 4:39 pm
Profile ICQ WWW
Post Re: Lions cut Culbreath?
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... han-scott/

Quote:
Lions cut Johnny Culbreath, sign Jonathan Scott
Posted by Michael David Smith on July 24, 2012, 4:06 PM EDT
johnnyculbreath

For the second day in a row, the Lions have released one of their players who was arrested this offseason.

Yesterday cornerback Aaron Berry was given the old heave-ho, and today offensive tackle Johnny Culbreath has been released. Culbreath, a 2011 seventh-round draft pick, was arrested in January for marijuana possession.

To fill Culbreath’s spot on the offensive line, the Lions have picked up offensive tackle Jonathan Scott, who was released by the Steelers five days ago.

This will be Scott’s second stint with the Lions, who took him out of Texas in the fifth round of the 2006 NFL Draft. After two years with the Lions he spent two years with the Bills and then two years with the Steelers. It’s unlikely that Scott can compete for a starting job in Detroit, but he may earn a spot on the 53-man roster as the No. 4 tackle behind last year’s starters Jeff Backus and Gosder Cherilus, and this year’s first-round draft pick Riley Reiff.

Kind of funny considering he was supposed to "push Backus for playing time at LT"...

That said, I do like Scott and I was kind of disappointed when we let him go. I don't think he's great, but I think he's an upgrade over Gos... Either way, with Reiff on our team he'll probably just be depth or end up playing OG.

July 24th, 2012, 4:47 pm

In a way this and Berry getting the ax confirmed what we already knew: when you're a late round draft pick or UDFA, there's little or no room for error.

July 24th, 2012, 4:49 pm

Im still looking for the explantion.

Not that I thought Culbreath was going to be some all-pro or anything, but we had heard many many positives about his upside potential. ANd yes he got arrested but that was awhile ago. Did he do something else that hasnt been discolsed yet, or did they suddenly realize he would never amount to anything and they have been blowing smoke for 2 yrs. Just seems a bit odd.

July 24th, 2012, 4:54 pm
Profile ICQ WWW
DJ-B wrote:

Not that I thought Culbreath was going to be some all-pro or anything, but we had heard many many positives about his upside potential. ANd yes he got arrested but that was awhile ago. Did he do something else that hasnt been discolsed yet, or did they suddenly realize he would never amount to anything and they have been blowing smoke for 2 yrs. Just seems a bit odd.

I agree... This may have been more to do with Jon Scott than Culbreath, but that's not saying much for Culbreath, especially considering all of the hype about him "shutting down Avril" (what the hell does that say about Avril!?), and possibly being our future LT. Sounds like that was all a bunch of BS if you ask me.

July 24th, 2012, 4:57 pm
Butkus Award Winner

wjb21ndtown wrote:
DJ-B wrote:

I agree... This may have been more to do with Jon Scott than Culbreath, but that's not saying much for Culbreath, especially considering all of the hype about him "shutting down Avril" (what the hell does that say about Avril!?), and possibly being our future LT. Sounds like that was all a bunch of BS if you ask me.

I've said for a while now, Avril is an above average DE. Not saying he can't get better, but from what I've seen so far he can easily be replaced. If Willie Young or LoJack STEP UP next year and create the option of one of them starting so Avril can be cut and we get a secondary or a top offensive lineman, we'll be talking division champs and yearly deep runs in the playoffs.

July 24th, 2012, 5:37 pm
Player of the Year - Defense

Rookies just reported, so might have something to do with his conditioning. Over the offseason on twitter you'd see the players tweet about working out along with other stuff and with Culbreath it was always back and forth with friends and talk about partying. I'm not saying that was the issue, but combined with the off the field issues, he might have come in too heavy and out of shape making it an easy decision. He might just need that wakeup call and he can be resigned later.

As for Young and Lojack, it'll be interesting to see if they can stay healthy all year. Both have showed potential when they get snaps, even more so on Lojack's part, but neither have been healthy the last two seasons. Lojack had offseason surgery on his ankle prior to last season from an ankle that hampered him the entire prior season and when he finally did get up to speed he lost time with the hamstring. Young also missed a lot of last season with the hammy. IF either of them can stay healthy, I believe they can start next year, but only if they can stay on the field.

July 24th, 2012, 6:54 pm
Butkus Award Winner

njroar wrote:
Rookies just reported, so might have something to do with his conditioning. Over the offseason on twitter you'd see the players tweet about working out along with other stuff and with Culbreath it was always back and forth with friends and talk about partying. I'm not saying that was the issue, but combined with the off the field issues, he might have come in too heavy and out of shape making it an easy decision. He might just need that wakeup call and he can be resigned later.

As for Young and Lojack, it'll be interesting to see if they can stay healthy all year. Both have showed potential when they get snaps, even more so on Lojack's part, but neither have been healthy the last two seasons. Lojack had offseason surgery on his ankle prior to last season from an ankle that hampered him the entire prior season and when he finally did get up to speed he lost time with the hamstring. Young also missed a lot of last season with the hammy. IF either of them can stay healthy, I believe they can start next year, but only if they can stay on the field.

Willie Young show MAJOR potential last year. In a particular play, he push Tyron Smith (Cowboys OT) to the ground effortlessly and sacked Romo to clinch the win for us, and he also showed some potential against the Bears. LoJack is VERY underrated and I think he'll prove that this year if he can stay healthy. Even if neither can be as good as Avril, which I don't think the case will be, Fairley will make up for it. The Falcons just signed Asante Samuel, so maybe they'll let Brent Grimes go next offseason and we can get him and maybe a right guard.

July 24th, 2012, 8:20 pm
Veteran General Manager

DJ-B wrote:

We probably needed his money to add to Berry's money in order to have enough to pay Scott his league minimum.

July 24th, 2012, 10:25 pm
Play by Play Announcer - Al Michaels

Culbreath is a 7th round pick who spent last year on IR and followed the season with an arrest. Jonathan Scott became available and he was instantly an upgrade over Culbreath. Had to cut Culbreath to create roster spot for Scott. We don't have to over-think it.

Just curious, but did this enthusiasm for Culbreath come from anywhere other than this message board?

July 24th, 2012, 10:47 pm
Color Commentator - John Madden

Culbreath could've spent another year on the PS, so I'm surprised they didn't keep him around for that. Jon Scott is a definite upgrade. The OT's on the roster now are
- Backus
- Cherilus
- Fox
- Hilliard
- Rieff
- Scott

Is Culbreath better than any of those guys? No way. If I were the GM I'd be starting to think about trading Cherilus for a starting CB. We'll have to see if Rieff is going to be able to push Gos in camp, and if he does and the difference between the two is negligible, get something for him. You can move Rieff to LT once Backus rides off into the sunset, and plug in Scott or find a RT in next years draft in the mid rounds.

As for the Culbreath love, I forget who it was, but around draft time a poster who claimed to have intimate knowledge of the team posited that the Lions saw Culbreath as the future LT and that he would be pushing Gos for playing time this year, and then move to LT eventually. That may have been pre-draft, but obviously once Rieff became available, that changed the dynamic of the team. With another PS year, they could've moved him for a pick/player if he was really that good.

July 25th, 2012, 10:40 am
RIP Killer

Wayne Fontes wrote:
Culbreath could've spent another year on the PS, so I'm surprised they didn't keep him around for that. Jon Scott is a definite upgrade. The OT's on the roster now are
- Backus
- Cherilus
- Fox
- Hilliard
- Rieff
- Scott

Is Culbreath better than any of those guys? No way. If I were the GM I'd be starting to think about trading Cherilus for a starting CB. We'll have to see if Rieff is going to be able to push Gos in camp, and if he does and the difference between the two is negligible, get something for him. You can move Rieff to LT once Backus rides off into the sunset, and plug in Scott or find a RT in next years draft in the mid rounds.

As for the Culbreath love, I forget who it was, but around draft time a poster who claimed to have intimate knowledge of the team posited that the Lions saw Culbreath as the future LT and that he would be pushing Gos for playing time this year, and then move to LT eventually. That may have been pre-draft, but obviously once Rieff became available, that changed the dynamic of the team. With another PS year, they could've moved him for a pick/player if he was really that good.

What team on earth would give up a starting quality CB for Gosder Cherilus?

As for the poster who claimed Culbreath was in the Lions plans...most of us know who that was. It was before the arrest. I'm sure that the arrest has something to do with his release, but more likely I would think his release stems from his inability to digest the playbook compounded with his not showing much improvement in his technical skills over last season. If he had made marked improvement, and got to know the playbook really well, I don't think they'd release him.

July 25th, 2012, 11:09 am
Varsity Captain

he was released for two reasons.first he showed up completely out of shape and second he had failed a mandatory drug test given to him at the end of the last minicamp.and just like berry talent didnt matter they had to go unlike fairley and lashoure who have done everything to right there ships.berry and culbreath failed to heed coaches warnings.

July 25th, 2012, 1:32 pm
Team MVP

allenslions wrote:
he was released for two reasons.first he showed up completely out of shape and second he had failed a mandatory drug test given to him at the end of the last minicamp.and just like berry talent didnt matter they had to go unlike fairley and lashoure who have done everything to right there ships.berry and culbreath failed to heed coaches warnings.

Thanks Allenslions.

There we have it. You show up fat and lazy, your out of a job.

April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.

Lionbacker2 Fantasy Champion 2011

July 25th, 2012, 4:17 pm
allenslions wrote:

Sorry, I don't buy it. You came on here and defended Culbreath after his offseason incident and said that the organization wasn't going to hold it against him. To bring it up now as a reason to cut him, IMO, is just plain silly. That said, I don't think a team cuts ties with someone for coming into camp out of shape when "the coaches feel he is ready." He went from the alleged heir apparent at RT, and the potential heir to the LT spot, to being off the team. Allegedly, just because a 320lb fat guy was a little out of shape in camp? I don't buy it.

The much more likely scenario, IMO, is that Jon Scott became available and they knew emphatically that he was the better player, and that Culbreath's state with the team and prior performance progress was greatly over-exaggerated.

July 26th, 2012, 5:12 pm
Reply to topic   [ 25 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next