View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently September 20th, 2014, 4:06 am

Reply to topic  [ 53 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 PFT Preseason Power Rankings No. 13: Detroit Lions 
Walk On

Post Re: PFT Preseason Power Rankings No. 13: Detroit Lions
Knox is working out, but not practicing. He's definitely out for '12, and we'll see about after that. He & his trainers said that he was amazingly flexible, & didn't sustain any spinal cord damage at all... which means if he's structurally OK he could play. BUT... I think we all know what will be in his head. He had some alligator arms before... so I personally believe he's done. Which sucks - because he was a good story & a good kid.

To address what some have said... it isn't just the addition of Marshall that has people thinking the Bears would be greatly improved. It is also the addition of Jeffrey, and the impact that having those two big, formidable bodies is going to do in freeing up Earl Bennett (who is under-rated & *may* be a true #2 receiver on a team with a true #1) and Devin Hester ( who is a true #3/4/package WR). And Michael Bush is a big addition on top of Forte being back, and the changes in offensive philosophy with Mike Tice and Jeremy Bates (the OC in Denver when Cutler and Marshall made the probowl) are expected to be a positive change. There are other things as well - having another year of experience with a young line, getting the TEs more involved, including the draft pick Evan Rodriguez - who people compare to Hernandez on the Pats.

So it isn't just "adding one receiver" that has Bear fans excited.

July 20th, 2012, 8:25 pm
Butkus Award Winner

I.E. wrote:
Knox is working out, but not practicing. He's definitely out for '12, and we'll see about after that. He & his trainers said that he was amazingly flexible, & didn't sustain any spinal cord damage at all... which means if he's structurally OK he could play. BUT... I think we all know what will be in his head. He had some alligator arms before... so I personally believe he's done. Which sucks - because he was a good story & a good kid.

To address what some have said... it isn't just the addition of Marshall that has people thinking the Bears would be greatly improved. It is also the addition of Jeffrey, and the impact that having those two big, formidable bodies is going to do in freeing up Earl Bennett (who is under-rated & *may* be a true #2 receiver on a team with a true #1) and Devin Hester ( who is a true #3/4/package WR). And Michael Bush is a big addition on top of Forte being back, and the changes in offensive philosophy with Mike Tice and Jeremy Bates (the OC in Denver when Cutler and Marshall made the probowl) are expected to be a positive change. There are other things as well - having another year of experience with a young line, getting the TEs more involved, including the draft pick Evan Rodriguez - who people compare to Hernandez on the Pats.

So it isn't just "adding one receiver" that has Bear fans excited.

I've always seen a lot of talent in Earl Bennett. I see the offense being a bit better than the 2010 offense. There's lots to be excited about for Bears fans.

July 21st, 2012, 12:29 am
Hall of Fame Player

njroar wrote:
I think most people are overlooking the reasons our secondary was so bad during the second half of the season. Injuries to the Dline, which hurt depth, which hurt consistent pass rush. Any team that can't get to the QB is going to expose the secondary, no matter how good the secondary is. Time is the weakness of any secondary. When Willie Young, Lojack, Nick and KVB are all slowed or out due to injury, we could have had Revis and Deion Sanders back there and receivers would eventually get open.

Our team is built to have an average secondary made better by a very strong Dline rotation. Cut that rotation by 2/3, and the plan doesn't work. Lojack went out week 4. Nick barely played. Suh was out for suspension. Young missed time with Hamstring. If the Dline stays healthy, the secondary will hold up ok. If injuries pop up again, people will talk about how bad the secondary is again.

You can count on luck, ( no injuries ), or you can actually cover yourself for when the injuries do happen, by having better DB's.

July 21st, 2012, 1:48 pm
Hall of Fame Player

millam21 wrote:
Why does everyone think one receiver makes the bears a better team than the lions...?

Maybe because we barely beat them when they didn't have that 1 WR. And we also lost to them when they didn't have that 1 WR.

And NOW, they have that 1WR plus another 1WR that is a rookie, but, he will be pretty good.

July 21st, 2012, 2:02 pm
Stadium Announcer

Barely beat them? We dominated Monday night. The reason they beat us so bad in Chicago was because our offense repeatedly shot itself in the foot with turnovers. The bears offense did not score a touchdown that game. The bears defense IS NOT THAT GOOD ANYMORE they have 3 pro bowl players yes, but all over 30 and all their other defenders are pedestrian. The bears do have weapons now, but their offensive line is still below average, Cutler will still be on his back alot I'm sorry but if were healthy the bottom line is were better and younger then the bears.

July 21st, 2012, 4:41 pm
Butkus Award Winner

BillySims wrote:
millam21 wrote:
Why does everyone think one receiver makes the bears a better team than the lions...?

Maybe because we barely beat them when they didn't have that 1 WR. And we also lost to them when they didn't have that 1 WR.

And NOW, they have that 1WR plus another 1WR that is a rookie, but, he will be pretty good.

Other than a few drive-saving scrambles that led to completions by Cutler, we destroyed them. We held them to 3 points in the 2nd half. You've heard it a million times, but I'll say it again, they won the 2nd game because Staff had a broken finger. We also had 2 RARE turnovers, with Calvin and Nate fumbling, which was Calvin's only fumble on the season. If he threw like that all season long he'd have 50 picks on the season. It clearly was bugging him. He didn't throw a pick 6 all season, and threw two in a row, literally one after the other. That game was just sloppy and proved nothing except for the following: Quarterbacks can't throw like they usually do with a broken index finger, and turning the ball over 6 times usually will end in a loss. Take away the glove games and he had 34 TDs and 7 INTs.

July 21st, 2012, 5:28 pm
Walk On

I was at FF for the Monday night game last year, and I've never heard a crowd like that at any NFL (and I've been to 2 NFC championships)... it was amazingly electric. The Bears were completely unprepared for that, and couldn't get a play off half of the time because of false starts. They were totally intimidated. It was amazing.

I'm going to Monday night game in Chicago this year - that is going to be fun.

July 21st, 2012, 6:13 pm
Butkus Award Winner

I.E. wrote:
I was at FF for the Monday night game last year, and I've never heard a crowd like that at any NFL (and I've been to 2 NFC championships)... it was amazingly electric. The Bears were completely unprepared for that, and couldn't get a play off half of the time because of false starts. They were totally intimidated. It was amazing.

I'm going to Monday night game in Chicago this year - that is going to be fun.

Just listening on TV, I knew it was extremely loud. This city has been waiting for a real football team and we finally have one. Nine false starts? It was crazy. That MNF game in Chicago will be just as loud. Did you get tickets the second they came out? Because they must've sold out quickly.

July 21st, 2012, 9:27 pm
League MVP

Quote:
I don't see any reason to believe that Durant and Tulloch will be much better than they have been in the past. They've largely been the players that they were on their former respective teams, and they've been that sort of player for years. I see no reason to believe that they will "break out."

I dont either but they were both very good additions to the defense. Durant is a very solid fundamentally sound linebacker. I hope they can extend him and I dont think he ll end up being all that expensive but he has a history of missing a game here and there. Last year there was a large dropoff with Carpenter and Ashlee Palmer. Depth at LB concerns me even more this year because you are asking Hogue who barely saw a defensive snap or one of the rookies to step in.

Quote:
What if Leshoure gets more playing time? How well does he perform? Can he block (remember, it was the ability to block alone that caused Pinner to miss most of his first two seasons, or to at least receive limited playing time)? IMO Leshoure is a T.J. Duckett clone, at best. Nice to have, but he's no game breaker in my book.

The Lions were 5-1 when they had Best, 5-5 after plus the playoff loss. Thats not the whole story but the Lions opened up the season vs Tampa Bay by feeding the ball to Best on runs and screens. He was a big part of the game plan of games he played in and he can take a lot of pressure off of Stafford and make the passing game very productive without Stafford having to make difficult throws. Smith provided a flash despite not being as quick as Best he has decent vision and hands. Athletically both of them should be at full speed but Smith gets dinged up with minor injuries and Best is one hit away from calling it a career. LeShoure's job is to take some of the punishment so that Linehan can pick his spots with healthy versions of Best and Smith rather than relying on them to take the bulk of the touches like he did with Best early last season. IMO Leshoure doesnt have to be the dynamic player he was in his final college season to be effective for us but if can pick up 3rd and 2s or get 4 yards on 1st or 2nd and 10 then he s taking some of the runs where players like Best/Smith arent durable enough to handle. We ll see how well recovered Leshoure really is but with the injury he had Im skeptical on what his upside might be.

Quote:
What if Fairley plays? Is he significantly better than Corey Williams? Is he significantly better than SLH? That upgrade, even if it does pan out, is marginal at best. We already have a full rotation of good DTs.

Im not investing any trust in Fairley but I think if Fairley plays extensively it would be a tremendous lift. He appeared to be unblockable on the nose because he has extremely quick hands and first step. Lined up on the guards or in the gaps, I think Fairley, like Suh needs to get a better feel for where the play is going based on how the lineman is trying to block. Williams is more of a power type player and has excellent technique particularly when doubled but has a better feel. I think Fairley can make more big plays but probably isnt consistenly better than Williams just yet. If Fairley stays healthy and Hill plays like he has, Williams contract can be allowed to expire.

Im more concerned at DE because to me KVB faded last season. Maybe it was bc LoJack and Young werent healthy but its hard to tell if it was decline or that his legs just werent fresh. KVB to me is the key to the defense.

Quote:
IMO the BIGGEST improvement is going to be having somewhat of a true #2 WR this year. From most of the reports that I've seen Titus Young is the clear cut #2 WR right now, and Nate is being busted down to slot WR (proving my point that the dood is over-paid, but whatever), and the potential that Broyles has to be a good/great #4, and return punts and kicks.

I havent seen the reports you have but I think looking into the future (when Nate is gone) the group projects as Calvin and Broyles 1/2 with Young as the slot WR. Burleson for now is still the No 2. Young seemed to be wrong too often with route adjustments/reads last sesaon. I think he may be more productive than Burleson this year but i doubt he gets more snaps. I also think that Broyles will be able to contribute this season.

I think the biggest improvement we will see this year will be from Stafford. He really started to hit the better part of the learning curve at the end of last season and that was at a time where there running game and defense didnt really have much. If the defense can be healthy at the same time as Stafford is on fire it ll make his play stand out more than it does in shootouts and he ll be able to do the things he struggled with (the ones that you point out below).

Quote:
That said, we still have very real concerns on our OL, and our running game is going to be a joke. I'll be shocked if we get a combined total of more than 1,600 rushing yards this year. Why is that such an issue? IMO Stafford is still not experienced enough to calmly and confidently beat the blitz. Most teams do it with their running game, really, really good Qbs can do it on their own (I'd argue only Brady, Rogers, Payton, and Breese do it well). Without a running game I think our offense will continue to sputter at times. It also means we won't be able to control the clock or close out games.

I dont think the running game will be a joke right out of the gate because Kevin Smith at least is capable of giving us a jolt. Still it could progress into terrible and Im still surprised they didnt bring a steady veteran in. They must really not be putting any credence into the medical opinions they are getting on achilles tendon tears and concussions which are both especially bad for RBs. Im not even satisfied by the UDFAs they brought in at the position, Stephfon Green I think could possibly be a return man. I agree with you, the RB position is a definite concern.

Im okay with the offensive line for now, I think Reiff will be the starting left tackle by week 6 after Backus gets his face beaten in one last time by San Fran and Minnesota in weeks 3 and 4. They ll have time with the bye week to figure out how they are going to shift Backus/Cherilus/Peterman around. If either Jason Fox or Culbreath shows anything in the preseason there s probably an outside shot that one of Cherilus or Backus gets cut especially since Hilliard is reliable depth at guard or tackle.

July 22nd, 2012, 12:33 am
National Champion

wjb21ndtown wrote:
Hystrix wrote:
wjb21ndtown wrote:
Hystrix wrote:
wjb21ndtown wrote:
Hystrix wrote:

Yeah. But you are forgetting that our top three rushers combined had 1062 yards. He's saying 1300 from our top three. Had we done that last year our total rushing yards as a team would have been closer to 1800.

Look we are going to be a runningback by committee team this year. Unless Leshoure has a break out year. We have to deal with that. If Best, Leshoure, and Smith combined for 1300, I'd be ok with that.

I don't think he, or anyone else, is counting on us signing, or needing to sign a FA running back that gains 200+ yards later in the year due to injury. Sorry, I think your explanation is ridiculous.

What you're saying is, "he's (Shotty) stating that our 'top 3' running backs will gain 1,300 yards), but then your adding "we'll sign a FA in the middle of the season that picks up another 500." That's flat out ridiculous, and I think you're putting words in his mouth that he has no intention of saying.

:shock:

Wow. That's not what I was stating at all. I was stating that our top 3 RB gaining 1300 yards would be better than what our top 3 produced last year. Of course the situations won't be the same this year. Who said they would be?

EDIT- The 1800 yards came from last year we had 1523 years but 1062 came from the top three.

If the top three had 1300 yards then that would add 238 yard to our total. 1523+238 is 1761 yards. I rounded up. That's all I was saying.

Yea, but the majority of those extra yards not counted for the top 3 in 2011 is due to the Lions signing Kevin Smith in the middle of last season. That's my point.

I counted Kevin Smith in the top 3.

Unbelievable...

Ok, let me try this one more time...

It doesn't matter that Kevin Smith was in your top 3. We signed him because Best got hurt. That gave YOU an extra running back to count outside of the Top 3 (no matter whom it was) that shouldn't be counted. That extra guy ONLY exists because KS was signed. Get it now?

Look at it this way, if you're still confused - Kevin Smith's yards would have counted toward Javid Best's had Javid not gotten hurt. Had that been the case, Keiland Williams' 200 yards WOULD BE in the top 3. It WAS that injury that allowed us to have a 4th RB with 200 yards. How's that explanation for ya?

The bottom line is that any team shouldn't be using 4,5, or 6 RBs. If that's the case then you had some major injuries along the way. I don't think anyone is making the point that the "top 3" will get X yards, and the guys that we sign to replace them from injury will get Y yards on top of that, giving us a bigger grand total.

Yes. It is unbelivable that you can't stay on the same page. by the way, Morris Morris and Best had more carries, but Smith was second on our team with 356 yards.

Our top three RB last year are the RB OVERALL that gave us the most yards. Last year Smith was one of the top three. I don't care if he joined the team on week 17 (actually he joined us in Week 10), if he was kin the top 3 for most yardage he was in the top three. We are looking a YEARLY totals, not a game by game breakdown. Therefore it is IRRELEVENT when KS joined the team. I never said we would have a top three and have a veteran come in and add to those yards. Get it?

All I'm saying, and I think Shotty was saying is that we hope the top 3 RB get us 1300 yards.

Last year the combination of Best, Morris, and Smith gave us a mere 1,062 yards. I'm hoping that Best, Leshoure and Smith give us more this year. Don't know why you don't get that...

And I hope we don't use 4-6 Running Backs. However, it is very likley we'll use three. Best can't stay healthy, and Lesoure is huge question mark. Smith won't do it by himself.

July 22nd, 2012, 6:44 am
The Legend wrote:
Im okay with the offensive line for now, I think Reiff will be the starting left tackle by week 6 after Backus gets his face beaten in one last time by San Fran and Minnesota in weeks 3 and 4. They ll have time with the bye week to figure out how they are going to shift Backus/Cherilus/Peterman around. If either Jason Fox or Culbreath shows anything in the preseason there s probably an outside shot that one of Cherilus or Backus gets cut especially since Hilliard is reliable depth at guard or tackle.

There have already been reports that have Sai, barring injury, Reiff will have zero reps at LT, and any reps that he gets at Tackle will be at RT. I don't think it's wise, but that's what's being reported.

Hystrix - you're incapable of rational thought and intelligent discussion, good bye.

July 22nd, 2012, 1:27 pm
RIP Killer

Rushing yards are rushing yards guys. It doesn't matter if it comes from one guy or 20 guys. One guy getting 1500 yards for a team as their full time back doesn't matter any more than if there is a RBC where all three total 1500 yards.

July 22nd, 2012, 2:32 pm
Team MVP

m2karateman wrote:
Rushing yards are rushing yards guys. It doesn't matter if it comes from one guy or 20 guys. One guy getting 1500 yards for a team as their full time back doesn't matter any more than if there is a RBC where all three total 1500 yards.

Exactly. This isnt fantasy football where u want your starters getting all the production. Its a team game.

April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.

Lionbacker2 Fantasy Champion 2011

July 23rd, 2012, 5:02 am
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

Oh and btw we drafted the second best tackle.

July 23rd, 2012, 8:50 am
ST Coordinator – Danny Crossman

Quote:
Hystrix - you're incapable of rational thought and intelligent discussion, good bye.

And thats how a rational and intelligent person carries a discussion?

wow....I guess I don't want to be intelligent or rational....

July 26th, 2012, 11:19 am
Reply to topic   [ 53 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next