View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently November 24th, 2014, 4:34 pm

Reply to topic  [ 25 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Lions cut Culbreath? 
ST Coordinator – Danny Crossman

Post Re: Lions cut Culbreath?
Quote:
and that Culbreath's state with the team and prior performance progress was greatly over-exaggerated.

That is my thinking as well. When talking to the public it seems very unlikley that a player would get lambasted...but to release him THIS quickly tells me they are not impressed with him at all.

July 26th, 2012, 5:28 pm
regularjoe12 wrote:
Quote:
and that Culbreath's state with the team and prior performance progress was greatly over-exaggerated.

That is my thinking as well. When talking to the public it seems very unlikley that a player would get lambasted...but to release him THIS quickly tells me they are not impressed with him at all.

I agree. If his technique really was as advanced as was stated last year, coming into camp out of shape shouldn't have mattered much. You can get a fat guy in shape by the end of camp, period. Hell, that's what camp is for!

July 26th, 2012, 5:35 pm
RIP Killer

wjb21ndtown wrote:
regularjoe12 wrote:
Quote:

I agree. If his technique really was as advanced as was stated last year, coming into camp out of shape shouldn't have mattered much. You can get a fat guy in shape by the end of camp, period. Hell, that's what camp is for!

I think you missed one of the other details mentioned. It was said he failed a drug test after the last mini-camp. That means he failed a drug test just a few weeks ago. Basically, he got busted for pot, was warned that he needed to clean up his act, and failed to do so. Plus, I have to think if he was out of shape for the start of training camp, he was likely looking sluggish at the mini-camp and may have been told to get his weight down and get in shape at that time.

Training camp isn't about working the guys into shape, it's about fine tuning them into shape. If a guy like Bryant McKinnie can get released for being out of shape, I don't see why Culbreath can't get let go for the same reason.

July 27th, 2012, 9:51 am
m2karateman wrote:
wjb21ndtown wrote:
regularjoe12 wrote:
Quote:

I think you missed one of the other details mentioned. It was said he failed a drug test after the last mini-camp. That means he failed a drug test just a few weeks ago. Basically, he got busted for pot, was warned that he needed to clean up his act, and failed to do so. Plus, I have to think if he was out of shape for the start of training camp, he was likely looking sluggish at the mini-camp and may have been told to get his weight down and get in shape at that time.

Training camp isn't about working the guys into shape, it's about fine tuning them into shape. If a guy like Bryant McKinnie can get released for being out of shape, I don't see why Culbreath can't get let go for the same reason.

That makes more sense M2. By "last mini-camp" I thought they were talking about last off-season. I didn't realize this was a recent thing.

July 27th, 2012, 11:38 am
RIP Killer

wjb21ndtown wrote:
m2karateman wrote:

That makes more sense M2. By "last mini-camp" I thought they were talking about last off-season. I didn't realize this was a recent thing.

I originally thought the same way you did, but then thought about the mini-camps that they just had with the veterans. Only thought of it because of the Titus Young incident.

I gotta say, Culbreath did look good last year prior to his being put on IR with that "undisclosed" injury. However, they knew when they drafted him he had some maturity issues. Jonathan Scott was playing pretty well in Pittsburgh at left tackle last season as a replacement. I'm surprised they released him.

July 27th, 2012, 12:50 pm
RIP Killer

Scott played really well in buffalo too, even with garbage lining up next to him. He was an upgrade wo can step right in. Good pick up

July 28th, 2012, 12:48 am

im sorry but jonathon scott isnt a good player, he has a chance to make a bigger impact than culbreath bc of experience and bc he s clean but thats about it. he ll compete with hilliard and fox for a backup spot and would be a good guy to have to start in a pinch but i dont see him with any chance of beating out cherilus. scott survived in pittsburgh mostly bc of how much roethlisberger is able to scramble and he s ranked very low by profootball focus and espn.

July 28th, 2012, 4:22 pm
RIP Killer

The Legend wrote:
im sorry but jonathon scott isnt a good player, he has a chance to make a bigger impact than culbreath bc of experience and bc he s clean but thats about it. he ll compete with hilliard and fox for a backup spot and would be a good guy to have to start in a pinch but i dont see him with any chance of beating out cherilus. scott survived in pittsburgh mostly bc of how much roethlisberger is able to scramble and he s ranked very low by profootball focus and espn.

Come on legend, I know you watch the game. Why on earth are you actually discussing profootball focus and espn with a guy we've all seen a hell of a lot of. Cheerios is awful. At least Scott has shown he has work ethic and drive to compete all game. Cheerios doesn't. His footwork seems to have gotten worse and he seems to have gotten slower. I honestly hope Reiff beats him out at RT and Cheerios has to move over to RG for peterman, who is among the worst in the conference.

Anyway, Scott did pretty well, even in buffalo, with no scrambling QB.

July 28th, 2012, 8:59 pm

bc i remember scott being terrible when we had him and couldnt shuflle his feet or bend his knees. i saw him many times for pittsburgh and he got beat quite often but roethlisberger could make up for it by thriving with a collapsed pocket and scrambling around. he hasnt played for buffalo in 3 years and i dont remember him playing for them. anyway pittsburgh squeezed him out for max starks who is probably just slightly better than cherilus overall but has no business playing left tackle for a standard drop back passer.

cherilus on a play by play basis is decent, he s an average nfl starting right tackle maybe even slightly above average but his real problem is with untimely stupidity. that accounts for the bad fan recognition for cherilus moreso than his ability. scott may be a smarter player but i really dont think he is better.

i looked at profootball focus and espn ratings just out of curiostiy bc i didnt watch scott play all the time, just a few times here and there. but when pit was on tv i did pay close attention to him just bc he was a former lion.

whatever it is scott isnt even healthy yet so sorry to burst the bubble but i wouldnt get the hopes up too high on him. he s good depth if he s healthy but not a clear upgrade. i still think reiff will eventually be the left tackle this season, we ll see if backus gets switched to a difft position but given his age, i think cherilus is safe for a little while.

July 28th, 2012, 10:27 pm
RIP Killer

Legend...you are talking about how Jon Scott is as a player now based on what he did with the Lions years ago?

The Legend wrote:
bc i remember scott being terrible when we had him...

I'd at least give him the benefit of his experience since the last time he suited up in Detroit.

Cherilus is inconsistent at right tackle. One play he looks all star, next play he looks like a turnstile. His run blocking is pretty lame.

I don't know that Jon Scott is going to be an upgrade over Cherilus, but he's better competition than Culbreath. And one thing we know about Cherilus is that he will at least respond to competition at the RT position.....sometimes.

July 30th, 2012, 9:44 am
Reply to topic   [ 25 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2