View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently November 24th, 2014, 8:37 am

Reply to topic  [ 279 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19  Next
 Avril's Contract: Within 2 weeks? 
Post Re: Avril's Contract: Within 2 weeks?
m2karateman wrote:
I don't think Avril has intentionally tried to hamstring the Lions, as has been suggested. I think he is trying to act in his own best interests. And I am not trying to deny him that right or say he's being unreasonable in doing so. I simply feel he overvalued his contributions, and that I feel the Lions made a pretty fair offer in light of their salary cap situation.

To be clear, I don't think that Avril "intentionally" tried to hamstring the Lions. I think he took Mayhew's words of "we're going to take care of you," way too far. I think Avril thought that he would be able to write his own contract, and have a 5 year backloaded deal that put us right on the verge of the salary cap this season, and was back loaded to the tune of $15 million per, for an average of $12ish. I could be wrong, but he seemed happy with the team and the contract negotiations prior to the draft and shortly thereafter (remember why this thread was initially titled "Avril's Contract: Within 2 weeks?" because everyone thought it would be done that fast), but both sides seemed to have something different in mind. My opinion is, that it is Avril, and not Mayhew that is being unreasonable, and that Avril has an unreasonably inflated sense of self-worth. To me it is evident by other team's lack of interest that Avril isn't worth what he thinks he is, and though it is speculation, I have to believe that if Avril told Mayhew of his contract demands prior to the draft, I think he would be wearing another team's jersey months ago.

I have no problem with him holding out, for demanding more money, or for thinking he's worth more. He's entitled to his opinion. It's his career, and he can do as he wishes. I just think that if it were his goal to be one of the highest paid DEs in the league that he should have made that abundantly clear prior to the draft. Had that been the case I don't think either side would be where they currently are, and I think at least the Lions would be better off today had both sides negotiated more and with their real intent prior to the draft. That's my beef.

August 2nd, 2012, 3:13 pm
ST Coordinator – Danny Crossman

Quote:
Avril hasn't signed, so can we pull the franchise tag off? How does that work?

for what reason?

pull the franchise tag on him, lose him off of the defensive line and just have unusable cap space? or would you want them to blow the money on garbage players that arent on teams yet?

August 2nd, 2012, 3:15 pm
The Legend wrote:
m2k - i agree the lions couldnt offer more and were constrained by cap concerns. i wrote about how they have several starters and rotation players on defense that will become free agents soon and mayhew needs to figure out which of those guys he needs to keep and which he might be able to replace with his recent draft picks - players on first contracts.

i dont think avril should care too much about what the lions cap status is. thats the equivalent of asking your boss for a raise because you just bought a pricy house rather than on the basis of the quality of the work you provide. it probably does not matter to avril what the lions cap status is when he is negotiating a contract at least it shouldnt if he is trying to get market value.

I agree with you, but for the obvious, that if a team CAN'T pay you, meaning, that team is literally incapable of paying you what you want, then you have an obligation to point that out and request or even demand a trade.

August 2nd, 2012, 3:15 pm
Varsity Captain

The Legend wrote:
Quote:

for what reason?

pull the franchise tag on him, lose him off of the defensive line and just have unusable cap space? or would you want them to blow the money on garbage players that arent on teams yet?

I was asking more to the rules behind the franchise tag, which I am unfamiliar with.
Ultimately I would have preferred if we would have traded him to Dallas for Jenkins or anyone else who could give our secondary help.

August 3rd, 2012, 11:05 am
RIP Killer

Falkes wrote:
The Legend wrote:
Quote:

for what reason?

I was asking more to the rules behind the franchise tag, which I am unfamiliar with.
Ultimately I would have preferred if we would have traded him to Dallas for Jenkins or anyone else who could give our secondary help.

To answer your question, yes, the Lions can pull the tag offer at any time before he signs it. If they did, he would immediately become a free agent and the Lions would get no compensation from the team who signs him. Once he signs the tender, he's under contract.

August 3rd, 2012, 12:47 pm
Team MVP

So in other words, it would be absolutely pointless for them to remove the tag unless the Lions and some other team had a written deal worked out?

April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.

Lionbacker2 Fantasy Champion 2011

August 3rd, 2012, 9:42 pm
Millen Draft Pick - Epic Bust

kdsberman wrote:
So in other words, it would be absolutely pointless for them to remove the tag unless the Lions and some other team had a written deal worked out?

IMO, yes. Too late to just let him go and try getting the tiny amount of talent left with the $10 million.

August 3rd, 2012, 9:59 pm
Rookie Player of the Year

Avril reported to camp today.

August 5th, 2012, 10:02 am
Team MVP

Thats good news for the Lions and their D-line. I dont think the amount of time he missed will affect him this season. He made his point, and glad he ended the holdout and is ready to go to work. Also glad Willie Young got a lot of playing time in his absense.

Good to have ya back Cliff.

April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.

Lionbacker2 Fantasy Champion 2011

August 5th, 2012, 2:38 pm
Modmin Dude

PFT wrote:
Cliff Avril glad he waited to sign until after his son’s birthday
Posted by Michael David Smith on August 5, 2012, 6:46 PM EDT

For Lions defensive end Cliff Avril, the decision to hold off on signing the franchise tender had less to do with any unhappiness about his contract status than about prioritizing a birthday party over training camp.

That would be the first birthday party of his son, Xavier, who turned 1 on Friday, and Avril says he’s glad he skipped the first week of training camp so that he could spend the week with Xavier.

“It was amazing,” Avril told MLive.com. “It’s always worth it, it’s his first birthday. He comes first and I was fortunate enough to get to spend his first birthday with him. We had a blast, took him to the museum. He didn’t care for it, but we had fun. We threw a party for him last wee and he had a blast there.”

Now that the birthday celebration is over, Avril is ready to get back to work, and ready to practice in front of Detroit fans, whom Avril is hoping will understand why he took his time about signing the franchise tender.

“I hope they don’t boo me,” Avril said. “That’s the only thing I’m hoping for honestly, but other than that, hopefully everybody is happy that the team is together.”

Avril, who joked that “soreness” is the only thing he missed from the first week of training camp, will get a salary of $10.6 million this season. Next year he’ll either become an unrestricted free agent or receive a guaranteed salary of $12.7 million if the Lions franchise him again. Which means, even though Avril didn’t get the long-term deal he was hoping for, he won’t have to worry about whether he can save enough for Xavier’s college fund.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... -birthday/

August 6th, 2012, 10:09 am
Modmin Dude

ESPN wrote:
Hard to worry about Cliff Avril's late report
August, 5, 2012
By Kevin Seifert | ESPN.com

As far as holdouts go, Cliff Avril's was pretty harmless. In fact, technically speaking, you couldn't call it a holdout because he wasn't bound to a contract until he reported to Detroit Lions practice Sunday morning and signed a franchise tag tender worth $10.6 million.

In essence, Avril capitalized on a once-in-a-career opportunity to protect himself from the most grueling portion of training camp. He missed half of the Lions' 16 scheduled training camp practices, but unless he reported in poor shape -- an unlikely possibility given his contract status -- the impact should be minimal.

In the meantime, the Lions gave extended work to backups Willie Young and Lawrence Jackson, both of whom are expected to be contributors in 2012. It's possible we'll look at Avril's late arrival differently in a few months, it barely registers on our highly-tuned controversy scale here in the NFC North.

http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcnorth/post/_ ... ate-report

August 6th, 2012, 12:17 pm
Hall of Fame Player

Quote:
Avril signs 1-year, $10.6 million deal with Lions
By LARRY LAGE (AP Sports Writer)

DETROIT (AP) -- Defensive end Cliff Avril has reported to Detroit Lions training camp.

Avril signed his tender Sunday and will make $10.6 million this season as franchise-tagged player. He didn't report with his teammates to training camp on July 26 and missed more than a week of practice.

''Ready to get this thing rolling,'' he said.

Avril is the only NFL player with at least 19 1/2 sacks, nine deflected passes, seven forced fumbles and four fumble recoveries the previous two years. He said he knew all along which day he'd report to camp.

''I wanted to spend time with my son for his first birthday, and that was Friday,'' Avril said. ''Then I took a day off to myself - and back at it.''

Avril said he doesn't expect the missed time to affect him too much, and that he tried to avoid news of his holdout while he was away.

''I was kind of watching the Olympics, trying to stay off of ESPN and NFL Network,'' he said. ''I knew what day I was going to come back. I had it planned out.''

Avril helped Detroit snap its 11-season postseason drought last year with 11 sacks, six forced fumbles and three fumble recoveries. He has had 30 career sacks and 14 forced fumbles since 2008 when Detroit drafted him out of Purdue in the third round.

The long-term question now is whether the Lions will have him after this season. He and the team didn't reach a deal to make that happen this off season.

''I was on a one-year deal last year, and I didn't really think about it, honestly. Now that I've signed on the dotted line, it's all about making plays for the team,'' Avril said. ''I was trying to get a long-term deal, because I like the city. I like the organization.''

The Bolded parts are a pretty strong reason he is worth the $12M/season that he wants. He is only 2 sacks short of averaging 10/year for his career. Not to mention all the passes deflected and Forced Fumbles. His 4 year averages stack very nicely with anyone else's.

August 6th, 2012, 5:42 pm
Hall of Fame Player

Of course, the Avril haters will just come up with some semantics about why those real stats don't mean squat.

August 6th, 2012, 5:43 pm
Millen Draft Pick - Epic Bust

BillySims wrote:
Of course, the Avril haters will just come up with some semantics about why those real stats don't mean squat.

I might sound like a hater of him, but I simply want to see him for 1 more year. If he gets 10+ sacks again I wouldn't mind him getting $12 mill a year at all.

Very happy he came back.

August 6th, 2012, 6:22 pm
ST Coordinator – Danny Crossman

BillySims wrote:

Billy I don't think you understand. I don't think ther is much in the line of hating on Avril, just feelings that 12mil can be better used elsewhere an that the drop in talent behind him isn't nearly as steep as you'd like to believe. I personally believe that if he could stay healthy lo-jack could end with a 8-10 sack season. Not quite as good as Avril but at a fraction of the cost. Well worth it IMO.

August 6th, 2012, 6:36 pm
Reply to topic   [ 279 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19  Next