View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently April 20th, 2014, 11:55 am

Reply to topic  [ 23 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Lions First Unofficial 2012 Depth Chart Released 
Post Re: Lions First Unofficial 2012 Depth Chart Released
Blueskies wrote:
Quote:
We should have made a serious run at a SB this year, instead of planning for the future.

Strongly disagree.

It is not as if the Lions are "getting older." Stafford, Suh, Fairley, Pettigrew, Young, etc are pretty young players. Calvin has 3-4 years left of elite level play.

There are still too many questions on the offensive line and the defense is garbage. Even if the Lions had bet the farm on one or two quality FAs, they likely wouldn't be favored for a SB run.

This team is like the 03 Colts. Still a few years away from putting it together. The Lions must continue to think long-term.

Blue - I'm not talking about going "all in" with a couple of flashy big names and mortgaging the future. Actually, I wish they would have done the opposite (parted ways with the guy that thinks he's a big name that we should have mortgaged the future on). I wanted us to go after Porter or Ross at CB and Bush at RB to solidify the team and plug holes. I wanted us to draft DeCastro that would have filled a hole rather than provided depth.

If we're a "few years" away from putting it together we better hope that Mayhew is as good as advertised, or we may want to try to get someone proven right now at GM. Mayhew put together a decent team, but so did Joe D. We're going to need someone that can rebuild this team in 2-3 years in a fast way after we lose one or two of our big name guys. If this team takes 3 years to be an elite team in the NFL, we're in trouble.

thelomasbrowns wrote:
UK Lion wrote:
thelomasbrowns wrote:
wjb21ndtown wrote:
I'll be surprised if Bently is the week one starter...

That your take after attending all of the training camp sessions? :roll:

To be fair to wjb, this time of year is basically stuffed full of journos wanting to get you to click on their stories. What's the best way to do that? It's to be writing stuff along the lines of "yeah, the depth chart may look pretty obvious to you, but with my insider access I can tell you that [X] is tearing it up in camp and may be a starter come game 1".

Not saying that this stuff about Bently isn't true - could well be, and boy would I be delighted if it happened. But the number of times I've read about pre-season superstars, who turned out to be the backups at best they were expected to be once the regular season came round, is too large for me to not take this story with something of a pinch of salt.

I agree with what you're saying, but I think it's important to note that virtually every beat writer is saying something along the same lines. I know Gun doesn't like starting rookies, but sometimes circumstances demand it (like us cutting Berry).

tlbs - the beat writers do it EVERY YEAR. Every year they come out and tell us how X 3rd round pick, or X 5th round pick is "impressing" and "pushing people on the charts" or "may be the day 1 starter" and it never happens. They'll blab on and on about how some UDFA is "impressing the coaches and outplaying people above him" then the guy gets cut and no other team picks him up. It's the same garbage year after year. Houston and Smith will be our week 1 starters.

m2karateman wrote:
wjb21ndtown wrote:
I'll be surprised if Bently is the week one starter...

I agree with this solely on the basis that Gunther Cunningham notoriously hates the idea of starting a rookie at that position. Unless he is just that much better than anyone else, I think Bentley starts the season as the nickel back. But we don't know for sure.

wjb21ndtown wrote:
Like I said, we're returning virtually the same team as last year. We could have at least signed a FA that can start or drafted someone like DeCastro that would have started for us at OG. We should have made a serious run at a SB this year, instead of planning for the future.

First, DeCastro isn't exactly impressing at the Steelers camp, from what I've read. There's no guarantee he will start for Pittsburgh once the season starts. So to declare that DeCastro, whom I wanted as well, would be our day one starter is jumping the gun.

Secondly, the Lions are good enough now that they can draft for the future, and that's really what you want from your team. There were some analysts that had Reiff rated ahead of DeCastro overall, so it's not like the Lions crapped the bed with their pick. We had no depth at offensive tackle, no guarantee that Jason Fox could stay healthy. I have no issues with the Reiff pick, or the fact that he may not start this year. If Backus and Cherilus are playing well enough in the eyes of the coaching staff that they hold off Reiff, that's good for the team.

As for the Broyles pick, I still scratch my head over that. No doubt, a very productive receiver in college, but we could have addressed a bigger need. However, Mayhew and Schwartz have done a good job so far. I will second guess the picks, but not get all worked up about it.

The Lions core players are young enough that we don't have to make a SB run right now. I don't think there's any way the Lions could make it to the SB this year regardless of who they drafted. Getting some good developmental players means they aren't trying to put a bandaid on a broken leg. And as for the FA scene, well, the Lions didn't have that much money to spend. I know you were all about allowing Avril to leave, and I was too. But what's done is done, and there's no use going on and on about it.

My take on Bentley is the same as yours. We rarely give rookies a shot, and if Bentley does play, I think it says more about the quality of our DBs than the strength of his play.

Interesting about DeCastro. I don't follow the Steelers offseasons, ever. I just know that Reiff isn't exactly tearing it up and it fueled my frustration.

August 9th, 2012, 10:33 am
Play by Play Announcer - Al Michaels

This 2 to 3 years away stuff is bunk. You do not need a flawless roster to make or win the Superbowl. We have enough talent to beat anyone. I only have to think back to the first 6 or say games of last season to remember that our defensive line made Eric Wright look good. It does not seem a stretch to say that we could survive or thrive with a CB like Bentley with what could easily be an even more dominant defensive line this season.

August 9th, 2012, 11:27 am
RIP Killer

Stallion wrote:
This 2 to 3 years away stuff is bunk. You do not need a flawless roster to make or win the Superbowl. We have enough talent to beat anyone. I only have to think back to the first 6 or say games of last season to remember that our defensive line made Eric Wright look good. It does not seem a stretch to say that we could survive or thrive with a CB like Bentley with what could easily be an even more dominant defensive line this season.

Stallion, I don't think anyone is saying that a Superbowl run isn't possible this season. However, it's not like the Lions would be only a piece or two away from being favorites to reach the SB at this point. Given the issues at RB, OL and DB, their odds of reaching the SB are up there. But this team has enough talent to make it there, with some luck and reduction in mistakes.

Now, as for having a more dominant D-line....how do you figure? We are bringing back the same players. Sure, the young guys now have another year under their belts for improvement. But the older guys have moved further away from their peak. I'd say it kind of balances out.

What prompted this discussion was the idea that the Lions first two picks this year were made more for the long haul, and not to position the team to win immediately. I can understand where wjb is coming from on that. However, I'd prefer the Lions to build the roster the right way so that they are creating long term viability, rather than trying to fill gaps now in the hopes that everything falls together for them this year. It's how the Patriots, Steelers, Ravens, etc. have stayed so good for so long. They drafted for the future, even if it meant their high picks weren't immediate starters.

August 9th, 2012, 12:17 pm
Play by Play Announcer - Al Michaels

Quote:
Now, as for having a more dominant D-line....how do you figure? We are bringing back the same players. Sure, the young guys now have another year under their belts for improvement. But the older guys have moved further away from their peak. I'd say it kind of balances out.

I believe the following factors make us a more dominant D-Line:

A)healthy Nick Fairley and Lo-Jack (regressed last year with nagging groin injury IIRC) is huge addition.

B) Continued development of depth players like Willie Young and Hill.

C) The scarey and realistic thought that Suh and Avril have not yet reached their full potential.

I personally feel that these factors far outweigh the regression of C-Dub and KVB.

Quote:
What prompted this discussion was the idea that the Lions first two picks this year were made more for the long haul, and not to position the team to win immediately. I can understand where wjb is coming from on that. However, I'd prefer the Lions to build the roster the right way so that they are creating long term viability, rather than trying to fill gaps now in the hopes that everything falls together for them this year. It's how the Patriots, Steelers, Ravens, etc. have stayed so good for so long. They drafted for the future, even if it meant their high picks weren't immediate starters.

I agree with you that our currently philosophy is the correct one. Realistically, the only things I would have liked to see differently is either trading up for Janoris Jenkins or drafting Peter Konz. Thats being said. I do not dwell on that much considering the Job that Mayhew has done so far.

August 9th, 2012, 12:37 pm
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

Quote:
8/09/2012
Cliff Avril not likely to play Friday, Bill Bentley likely to start

Due to his holdout, Cliff Avril has not practiced in full pads yet so he’s not sure he’s ready to play on Friday. The decision is up to Schwartz, but it seems unlikely he’d be pushed into action before he’s ready. Avril said he feels good and put in extra work running sprints on his own following practice

— Rookie cornerback Bill Bentley expects to start. He made another interception in Thursday’s practice and has had a consistently good camp. He’s been lining up opposite Chris Houston with the starters.

— Coach Jim Schwartz won’t announce players who won’t participate in Friday’s game until Friday morning. But Kyle Vanden Bosch (knee), Ryan Broyles (knee), Mikel Leshoure (hamstring), Don Carey (soreness) and Jahvid Best (concussion) didn’t practice today, so it’s unlikely they’ll be ready

(Follow @PaulaPasche on Twitter. Get Lions news delivered directly to your phone by texting the keyword "Lions" to 22700. Msg & Data

posted by Paula Pasche at 12:30 PM
http://oplions.blogspot.com/2012/08/cli ... riday.html

August 9th, 2012, 1:14 pm
Team MVP

In my opinion, I think this years team is better than last years team, and last years team made the playoffs. When I think about it, I think of things like Titus Young coming on last year, and having an apparent amazing offseason, Stafford having a full offseason (well, everyone for that matter), Suh getting his head on straight and rebounding which I think he will do....little things like that. THEN, i think of the guys we drafted or signed.....Reiff, Broyles...Bentley... That could make this team better THIS YEAR, and most definetly the years to come. Again, just my opinion, but I think the team, TEAM, overall is better this year.

The Delmas thing, ya it sucks. In my opinion though, Im used to him not playing anyway, or not playing healthy. I mean, we're not losing Ed Reed here. Hes had what, 2 INTS his whole career? 100 somethin tackles? Delmas is good, but calling it a season already because of his surgery is just plain rediculous. Besides, he'll be back this year dont forget.

Anyways, Id rather sit here and be excited as hell that to argue about what kind of job our GM, whos brought us from 0-16 to 10-6 in 3 years, has done this past offseason.

Good arguments on all sides though.

April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.

Lionbacker2 Fantasy Champion 2011

August 9th, 2012, 1:23 pm
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

Apparently it's not just the beat writers who think BB is doing a good job...

Quote:
Cornerback Bill Bentley will start for Detroit Lions on Friday
http://blog.mlive.com/lions_impact/prin ... ill_s.html
Published: Thursday, August 09, 2012, 1:18 PM Updated: Thursday, August 09, 2012, 1:18 PM
By Anwar S. Richardson | arichar2@mlive.com

Detroit Lions rookie cornerback Bill Bentley will start against the Cleveland Browns in Friday's preseason game.
ALLEN PARK -- It did not take long for Detroit Lions rookie cornerback Bill Bentley to impress this coaching staff.
Bentley will start at right cornerback for the Detroit Lions, while John Wendling will start at safety in place of Louis Delmas, during Friday's preseason game against the Cleveland Browns. It is unknown how many snaps each player will receive, but this could be a sign of things to come for Bentley.

Detroit lost cornerback Eric Wright to the Tampa Bay Buccaneers in free agency, but made Bentley its third-round draft pick this offseason. Bentley was behind Aaron Berry on Detroit's depth chart before the cornerback was released after his second arrest this offseason.

Over the past week, Bentley has taken reps with Detroit's first-team. Bentley originally played in nickel packages, but recently emerged into a starter, a position he will fight to keep on Friday.

"I try not to let too much get to my head," Bentley said. "I try to stay humble and stay blessed about everything. It's a great opportunity. Thank God for the position, and go out and try to make the best of it."

Detroit cornerback Alphonso Smith was listed ahead of Bentley when the depth chart was released a few days ago, but Lions coach Jim Schwartz downplayed those rankings.

Bentley is battling against Smith and Jacob Lacey to start this season, and said his goal to show coaches he can handle playing in the NFL this preseason.

"I'm looking to play the whole game," Bentley said. "I'm fresh out there, so they might keep me out there the whole time. I'm not a starter yet. I'm just feeling out the position. I'm going to solidify the position on Friday."
Bentley, who played at Louisiana-Lafayette cornerback Dwight Bentley, was a third-round selection (85th overall) by Detroit this offseason. His career numbers for the Ragin Cajuns include 232 tackles, 13 for a loss, 1.5 sacks, seven interceptions and 20 passes broken up. Bentley returned two interceptions for touchdowns in 2011, which was his senior year. He also earned All Sun-Belt Conference honors two times during his collegiate career.
During the NFL Scouting Combine, Bentley ran the 40-yard dash in 4.43 seconds.
"Bentley is progressing well," Lions defensive backs coach Tim Walton said. "He's a competitor. He competes everyday, so that overcomes some of the things he's learning - a little technique loss - by being a competitor.
"He's a student of the game. He works hard at learning and understanding the defense, his responsibility, and the game situation. When you have a guy that puts forth that effort to do that, it shows up as being productive on the field. He's a disciplined guy, a hard worker, a great guy."
© 2012 MLive.com. All rights reserved.

And re: Decastro

Quote:
DeCastro’s hold on the job isn’t quite as secure. Reviews of his play haven’t been quite as strong and Ramon Foster has been making every effort to hold onto his job against the rookie. With Willie Colon out this week, Foster will play left guard so the battle should resume. According to a conversation he had with Roethlisberger, DeCastro’s problem is physical.

“I talked to him the other day,” Roethlisberger said, via the Beaver Times Online. “I said, ‘How you doing? Evaluate yourself.’ He said ‘It’s different.’ I said ‘What do you mean?’ He said it’s tough. I said ‘What’s the tough part, the mental or the physical?’ He said, ‘The mental part I got. The physical is a lot tougher. These guys are really good.’”

There’s a lot of camp and preseason left for DeCastro to get a handle on the physical side of things. If he does, there’s not much chance he’s giving up the starting spot.
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... day-night/

August 9th, 2012, 1:46 pm
RIP Killer

wjb21ndtown wrote:
Interesting about DeCastro. I don't follow the Steelers offseasons, ever. I just know that Reiff isn't exactly tearing it up and it fueled my frustration.

I don't follow any other team, per se. But I read articles on NFL.com, or PFT and get information around the league that way. KFFL is another source.

From what I gather, DeCastro has had some nagging injuries, but nothing serious enough to prevent him from practicing. I think he is battling Ramon Foster for the RG spot there. They are saying Foster has the upper hand at this point. DeCastro is struggling with technique and the speed of the game. No big surprise for a rookie, but I think they were looking at him as a game one starter, and that may not happen.

However, according to reports out of Cincinnati, Kevin Zeitler has looked fantastic and seems to be the front runner to start at one of their guard positions this year. And it's not like the Bengals had garbage on their offensive line last year. We'll see if that is just smoke blowing by the Cinci sports media, or if he really has been that good.

I haven't heard anything about how good Peter Konz or Amini Silatolu have looked. Konz went to the Falcons, and Silatolu went to the Panthers. Silatolu was a player that the Lions were rumored to be extremely interested in, and may have been their pick had he still been available in round two.

August 9th, 2012, 1:54 pm
Reply to topic   [ 23 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2