View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently September 23rd, 2014, 10:36 am

Reply to topic  [ 25 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Titus Young believes he’s the successor to Barry Sanders 
Post Titus Young believes he’s the successor to Barry Sanders
Not my opinion, but I thought it was interesting.

Quote:
Titus Young believes he’s the successor to Barry Sanders in Detroit
By MJD | Shutdown Corner – 15 hours ago

Getty ImagesThere's every reason to believe that Titus Young, a second-year receiver for the Detroit Lions, will be a solid NFL player for a long time. But that, in the eyes of Titus Young, would be selling him very short.

He sees himself as some kind of a successor to Barry Sanders in Detroit. The following tweet is from Dave Birkett, who covers the Lions for the Detroit Free Press:

Titus Young was asked today how good he can be. Said when Barry Sanders called name at draft "it just felt like he was passing me the torch"

Yeah, I'm pretty sure he just said your name.

Not that I wish to castigate Titus Young here. He's a fine player and he apparently thinks highly of his abilities, and there's nothing wrong with that. If he felt some kind of cosmic connection between himself and (arguably) the greatest running back of all-time, then that's great. If it pushes him to maximize his potential, even better.

Two things come to mind, though, that make me pretty confident that Barry Sanders didn't share the same torch-passing experience: 1) If he was going to pass the torch to someone, I don't know why he would've waited 13 years to do it; and 2) Calvin Johnson exists. If anyone in Detroit is carrying #20's torch, it's Megatron. Also, Young may want to stop cold-cocking his teammates in practice. That'd be an excellent first step.

Asked after Monday's practice how good Young can be, Lions head coach Jim Schwartz was a bit more cautious.

"Well, he's an important part of our plans," Schwartz said. "How, you know, breakout and everything else, I mean that's all relative as we go through the year. I mean the whole object is to score points, operate efficiently on offense, win games and he's a guy that can help us do that."

Young has every right to be confident and optimistic about his future as a Lion. He's very quick, he's good after the catch, and his routes are crisp. As a rookie, he caught 48 passes for 607 yards and 6 touchdowns, all respectable totals that put him in the top ten among rookie pass catchers in 2011.

I just don't believe he can claim ownership of Barry Sanders' torch. At least not yet. If he wants to claim that Germane Crowell or Brett Perriman passed him their torch, I'll listen. For the immediate future, though, he probably shouldn't concern himself with being the next Barry.

IDK, maybe it's something out of nothing, but IMO I really can't believe how immature and self-absorbed this kid is. My favorite line of the piece "Young may want to stop cold-cocking his teammates in practice. That'd be an excellent first step."

August 14th, 2012, 11:51 am
RIP Killer

Post Re: Titus Young believes he’s the successor to Barry Sanders
My favorite line:

Quote:

If Titus Young can be the Johnnie Morton of this version of the club I would be very happy. Perhap Broyles can be Brett Perriman and we would be all set.

August 14th, 2012, 12:01 pm
Profile WWW
Pablo wrote:
My favorite line:

Quote:

If Titus Young can be the Johnnie Morton of this version of the club I would be very happy. Perhap Broyles can be Brett Perriman and we would be all set.

All three have the potential to be upgrades over their counter-parts, IMO. Very similar, but upgrades across the board.

I've said it 100 times though, I do wish our #2 was more like a 1a, larger, big bodied guy with some speed that is also a deep threat.

August 14th, 2012, 12:16 pm
Varsity Captain

I dunno about you guys, but if AJ Jenkins or Michael Crabtree said the same kind of stuff about Jerry Rice, I wouldn't be happy. Barry Sanders? How about being the best Titus Young that you can be. The great players in the game don't worry about living up to someone else's expectations. This is just ridiculous.

August 14th, 2012, 1:44 pm
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

49ers wrote:
I dunno about you guys, but if AJ Jenkins or Michael Crabtree said the same kind of stuff about Jerry Rice, I wouldn't be happy. Barry Sanders? How about being the best Titus Young that you can be. The great players in the game don't worry about living up to someone else's expectations. This is just ridiculous.

Titus has said multiple times that Barry was his biggest influence (he's from Detroit originally I believe). Also, it's a different position, so I think it's easy to write these kind of comments off as youthful boasting.

August 14th, 2012, 1:55 pm
ST Coordinator – Danny Crossman

not to mention Titus has shown that he's a bit of an idiot so far

August 14th, 2012, 2:03 pm
QB Coach

Hey niners' I heard from his Godmother that Nate Palmer caught 3 out 4 the other night, but yet someone is calling for him to get the axe. What's going on, can you p.m. me, he's too busy to respond to my contacts.

2 Chronicles 10:14, "if my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land."

August 14th, 2012, 3:47 pm
QB Coach

Can it be any worse than Denard calling out Usain Bolt? Let him talk, but expect him them both to back it up with conduct ON and OFF the field!!!

2 Chronicles 10:14, "if my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land."

August 14th, 2012, 3:48 pm
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

I love what Titus Young said

August 14th, 2012, 4:15 pm
WarEr4Christ wrote:
Can it be any worse than Denard calling out Usain Bolt? Let him talk, but expect him them both to back it up with conduct ON and OFF the field!!!

Definitely worse... Chris Johnson, Calvin Johnson, and Dennard are all faster than Bolt, at least in the 40. Bolt isn't fast until you get to the 100 and 200. Allegedly he only runs a 4.44ish 40. He was rumored to want to try out for football, but speculated that he wouldn't be any good because of his relative lack of quickness.

August 14th, 2012, 4:18 pm
Player of the Year - Defense

Sensationalist headline writer makes something out of nothing.

August 15th, 2012, 9:42 am
National Champion

Killwill25 wrote:

I do too. Let him try to be a great player. Is he going to acheive that level of greatness. Probably not, but I'd rather have a good player who satrives to be better, than a good player content about where he is.

August 15th, 2012, 10:47 am
ST Coordinator – Danny Crossman

Hystrix wrote:
Killwill25 wrote:

I do too. Let him try to be a great player. Is he going to acheive that level of greatness. Probably not, but I'd rather have a good player who satrives to be better, than a good player content about where he is.

Im all about striving to be better...but there comes a point where you need to shut up and do somthing in order to compare yourself to the greats....or your just being disrepesctful.

Titus wants to be the next Barry? Great first lesson: Barry was humble and let his play speak for him....Zip your lip Titus. end of lesson.

August 15th, 2012, 11:00 am
League MVP

wjb21ndtown wrote:
WarEr4Christ wrote:

Definitely worse... Chris Johnson, Calvin Johnson, and Dennard are all faster than Bolt, at least in the 40. [b]
Quote:
Bolt isn't fast
[/b]until you get to the 100 and 200. Allegedly he only runs a 4.44ish 40. He was rumored to want to try out for football, but speculated that he wouldn't be any good because of his relative lack of quickness.

hahah, this is laughable. dennard has no chance at bolt. dennard fastest 100 m was 10.44 seconds (Bolt 9.58). Finally the 4.44 ish time is an estimate at how long it takes bolt to get to 40 yards when he s running a 100meter dash, not when he s running a 40 yard dash. In the 100m they dont hit top speed until well past 100m. You also have to look at how football records the time of a 40 yard dash going off of first movement rather than in track where they go off a starter gun and must also include human reaction time. So if you see something estimating dennard at sub 4.4 and then bolt at 4.44, know that bolts time includes reaction time while dennard s is off his first movement.

August 15th, 2012, 11:42 am
RIP Killer

Let Titus think what he wants. If it pushes him to do better, he can believe whatever he wants to believe.

As for the discussion involving Usain Bolt and the football players claiming to be faster.... :lol:

Who cares?

August 15th, 2012, 12:48 pm
Reply to topic   [ 25 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next