View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently December 19th, 2014, 12:38 am

Reply to topic  [ 46 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 GAMEDAY THREAD: Lions vs Ravens (preseason game 2) 
Millen Draft Pick - Epic Bust

Post Re: GAMEDAY THREAD: Lions vs Ravens (preseason game 2)
m2karateman wrote:
The Legend wrote:
i dont know if you have followed but he says he is having post concussion symptoms and daily headaches. he s missed a lot of practice. i agree with you that he has sucked from day 1 of his rookie season but he flashed at times last year. jones and silva played a lot in both preseason games so i disagree that spievey is cutting into there playing time. silva in my opinion also sucked this week and schwartz has indicated he isnt happy with jones throughout the preseason.

billy - i agree with you that hogue doesnt look like anything special. he looked better this week than last but he s still got a lot to prove.

Spievey only did well last season when he had Delmas back there to cover for him. The moment Delmas went down to injury, Spievey got exposed. As for his "post c'oncussion" issues, I have my doubts. It's yet another excuse. With how the league and the teams are approaching concussions, I very much doubt they would have him in the game if it were that serious.

I am not saying that Silva and/or Jones are the answer, but I would prefer to see them getting additional reps than to have Spievey wasting time in there. He's had more than enough time to prove himself, and he has. He's proven himself to be completely worthless.

Straight up truth right here. I can't tell you how many times I've seen him in PERFECT position to make a tackle on a runningback and end up clapping his hands on the ground; basically what you saw Barry make defenders look like. He can't tackle, he's nervous when the ball is thrown deep, has low awareness or recognition of plays, he just isn't fit to start. Unless he's moved to cornerback, and has a big impact at that position, he should not take up a roster spot, let alone start. Eric Coleman, who's more experienced and a much better tackler should and will start. He probably would've started last year too if he didn't go down in week 4.

August 18th, 2012, 1:52 pm
Afghan Allstar

The Legend wrote:
On the Calvin TD for example, Jimmy Smith was all over CJ but Pettigrew was wide open past the sticks.

CJ one on one near the goal line with the DB behind him? I'll take that shot all day long. Smith had turned to locate the ball, but didn't even get his body turned around before CJ had caught the ball. He might have been right there, but he was in no position to make a play on the ball.

http://www.detroitlions.com/media-center/videos/Calvin-Johnson-18-yard-TD/dbbfc219-f53b-43dc-98e9-1c621f1fe23d

August 18th, 2012, 2:16 pm
ST Coordinator – John Bonamego

i agree but until the next round of cuts come i doubt there is a player they could get in there that would be better than him.

btw i ve said that spievey has stunk it up throughout last season when m2k and others were suggesting he was better than delmas. regardless cutting him today doesnt really make sense considering the time invested and the odds of bringing in a street FA that could be better than him in a week's time. i think spievey will get cut but not right now

August 18th, 2012, 3:09 pm

buell17 wrote:
The Legend wrote:
On the Calvin TD for example, Jimmy Smith was all over CJ but Pettigrew was wide open past the sticks.

CJ one on one near the goal line with the DB behind him? I'll take that shot all day long. Smith had turned to locate the ball, but didn't even get his body turned around before CJ had caught the ball. He might have been right there, but he was in no position to make a play on the ball.

http://www.detroitlions.com/media-center/videos/Calvin-Johnson-18-yard-TD/dbbfc219-f53b-43dc-98e9-1c621f1fe23d

great play by calvin not sure if its the right decision by stafford. pause it at 0:01 and 0:02 (stafford releasing ball) and tell me who is more open Calvin or Pettigrew? remember its 2nd and 5. listen, im not arguing with the result of the play but lets pretend calvin got hurt and thats a different player lets say Burleson instead of Johnson. Where should Stafford throw it? The real question is, does Stafford see that Pettigrew is more open but decides to throw to Calvin bc thats what the coaches/players have collectively decided (Im okay with that) or is Stafford so locked in on passing to Calvin that he doesnt know Pettigrew is open (not sure Im okay with that). If its the latter, Stafford will struggle without the big man and IMO has some growing to do.

Also remember this is just one example, I noticed 2 or 3 plays in the opener vs CLE and in this game where Stafford throws into a double covered Pettigrew when he has a back or someone else open and it doesnt work out. Im more okay with forcing it into an All Pro with an unbelievable ability to catch anything in his area but this doesnt apply to our entire receiving crew.

August 18th, 2012, 3:23 pm
Player of the Year - Offense

When Calvin gets 1 on 1 coverage, he's wide open. You take that over someone else every opportunity you can.

August 18th, 2012, 3:35 pm

njroar wrote:
When Calvin gets 1 on 1 coverage, he's wide open. You take that over someone else every opportunity you can.

okay fine but i think ur missing the point and larger issue im trying to get an opinion on

its hard to show the other examples bc they dont make highlight reels of incomplete passes

August 18th, 2012, 4:06 pm
QB Coach

Is it just me or does Fairley need to be HAMMERED? Roughing the passer with a blatant late hit, and some other ridiculous nonsense, I think off sides called on Levy should NOT be accepted.

I watched Fairley after the play, and he was mean mugging someone as if he'd taken a page from Suh's playbook last year. I was also surprised that Schwartz didn't bench him immediately. But maybe I'm just being to tempramental but with his off season actions, and now this stuff, his lease should be VERY SHORT.

2 Chronicles 10:14, "if my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land."

August 18th, 2012, 5:40 pm
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

the call on fairley was the wussiest call ever. im glad schwartz didnt bench him

August 18th, 2012, 9:17 pm

the call on fairley was entirely legitimate

August 19th, 2012, 11:55 am
Pop Warner Rookie

The Legend wrote:
njroar wrote:

okay fine but i think ur missing the point and larger issue im trying to get an opinion on

its hard to show the other examples bc they dont make highlight reels of incomplete passes

I think its just staffords progression of trying to understand the offense. And i honestly like it. hes trying to make decisions before the ball is even snapped where hes going. you know the only other qbs that attempt that in the league are named? peyton manning, tom brady, drew brees. granted he needs to learn to make his reads better post snap if his first look isnt there, but we have to remember hes only 24, hes still going to improve alot, and im ok with the fact hes still making mistakes every now and then.

August 19th, 2012, 3:43 pm
1st Round Pick

There's no better time to make those mistakes than pre-season, too, IMO.

Overall, I've been ok with the performances shown in the past 2 games. Disappointing to see penalties, and inability to tackle, rear their heads again. But the secondary and run game look better than I expected (vs low expectations, mind!)..

August 20th, 2012, 4:45 am
RIP Killer

buell17 wrote:
The Legend wrote:

Jimmy Smith was in front of Calvin when the ball was thrown. He had really good coverage. It was just a fantastic catch that pretty much no one on Earth could have defended.

The point is, despite Calvin being able to catch anything near him, and accepting that he is open when facing one on one coverage is all well and good. That still doesn't mean that if Stafford is locking onto him it's a good thing. As a QB you have to see the whole field and be able to determine the best course of action with the football. There were times when Calvin has more than one defender on him and Stafford was throwing the ball to him anyways. That's a recipe for a pick. If Stafford continues to do it in these games he's going to be doing it in regular season where the defenses aren't quite so "vanilla" and the coverages are better hidden.

I'm not saying Matt sucks, or that he is prone to making mistakes. What I'm saying is that his reliance on Calvin can quickly become his undoing. Teams will be baiting him to throw to Calvin.

August 20th, 2012, 6:48 am

m2karateman wrote:
buell17 wrote:
The Legend wrote:

Jimmy Smith was in front of Calvin when the ball was thrown. He had really good coverage. It was just a fantastic catch that pretty much no one on Earth could have defended.

The point is, despite Calvin being able to catch anything near him, and accepting that he is open when facing one on one coverage is all well and good. That still doesn't mean that if Stafford is locking onto him it's a good thing. As a QB you have to see the whole field and be able to determine the best course of action with the football. There were times when Calvin has more than one defender on him and Stafford was throwing the ball to him anyways. That's a recipe for a pick. If Stafford continues to do it in these games he's going to be doing it in regular season where the defenses aren't quite so "vanilla" and the coverages are better hidden.

I'm not saying Matt sucks, or that he is prone to making mistakes. What I'm saying is that his reliance on Calvin can quickly become his undoing. Teams will be baiting him to throw to Calvin.

in all fairness, opponent defenses aren't the only one vanilla'd. our offense is as well. Stafford isn't looking as much due to the plays not callling for him to. have we even made a single adjustment at the line of scrimage (moving guys around and such) I cant recall us doing it once ithis preseason and we do that nearly every single play in the offeason. I understand your concern, bbut dont forsee it as a lingering issue.

August 20th, 2012, 1:32 pm
RIP Killer

regularjoe12 wrote:
in all fairness, opponent defenses aren't the only one vanilla'd. our offense is as well. Stafford isn't looking as much due to the plays not callling for him to. have we even made a single adjustment at the line of scrimage (moving guys around and such) I cant recall us doing it once ithis preseason and we do that nearly every single play in the offeason. I understand your concern, bbut dont forsee it as a lingering issue.

Yes, there have been adjustments made. I've seen Stafford switch plays and alignments. Not often, but he has done it, even to the point where the announcers made mention of it in the Baltimore game.

As for the offense being vanilla, then that is an even bigger reason for Stafford to look for the open man and not force it to a covered receiver. He knows this offense pretty well, and should be more than capable of looking off a covered player to find the open guy.

And I'm sorry, but I can't think of a professional play in football that calls for the ball to go to one man, and one man only, in the passing game. Primary, secondary and tertiary receivers on almost every pass play are available. The only play that I would say is one where you have but one receiver to throw to would be a screen pass. And even then, you have the option of eating the ball or running if the receiver is covered.

Don't take what I say as being that Stafford is doing a backslide in his progression towards being an elite QB. However, should Stafford continue to rely so heavily on Calvin and not look off him when he should, it could hurt him in the long run. That's all I'm saying. Come the regular season, no team is going to be single covering Calvin. That has to leave someone else open.

August 20th, 2012, 2:18 pm
Team MVP

m2karateman wrote:
Don't take what I say as being that Stafford is doing a backslide in his progression towards being an elite QB. However, should Stafford continue to rely so heavily on Calvin and not look off him when he should, it could hurt him in the long run. That's all I'm saying. Come the regular season, no team is going to be single covering Calvin. That has to leave someone else open.

I agree, but im pretty confident the coaching staff is talking to Matt about this, most likely with filmwork. While typing this, im actually watching the game for my first time, and I can see what you are talking about. There are guys open that might get them 5 yards instead of 15, but Id rather move the chains than risk a turnover.

April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.

Lionbacker2 Fantasy Champion 2011

August 21st, 2012, 8:38 am
Reply to topic   [ 46 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next