View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently April 21st, 2014, 2:16 am

Reply to topic  [ 145 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
 Training Camp 2012 
RIP Killer

Post Re: Training Camp 2012
allenslions wrote:
as soon as nagy gets healthy dom,s days our numbered.nagy is a very talented olineman who played great until his ankle was broken last season. he is a massive upgrade over dom.

The Cowboys are horrible at the center spot, I find it hard to believe that they would let go a guy who would be a massive upgrade over dom when dom would be a massive upgrade in Dallas over Costa or whoever they are going to throw out there.

Add Costa is injured right now (back) and the other center in the mix Kowalski is in a cast with an ankle injury.

Hope I'm wrong and I thought Nagy showed some promise for the boys last year.

August 17th, 2012, 11:25 am
Profile WWW
Modmin Dude

PFT wrote:
Lions claim Bill Nagy off waivers, put Drew Coleman on IR
Posted by Josh Alper on August 17, 2012, 10:21 AM EDT

The Lions shuffled up their roster on Thursday by placing one injured player on injured reserve and claiming another one off waivers.

Offensive lineman Bill Nagy was waived-injured by the Cowboys on Wednesday after he had surgery on his balky left ankle. Nagy fractured the ankle in the fourth game of the 2011 season and hurt it again practicing this year. Nagy was expected to be in the mix for the team’s center job after starting last season as a starting guard in Dallas, so you’d imagine that the Cowboys wanted to keep him on injured reserve this season.

Thanks to the Lions, that won’t happen. They claimed Nagy even though there’s a decent chance he won’t be able to play at all this year, a move we saw earlier in the offseason when the Patriots snapped up tight end Jake Ballard after the Giants put him on waivers. Center Dominic Raiola and guard Stephen Peterman are both free agents after the 2013 season, so it’s possible the Lions see Nagy as a potential piece to plug in down the road.

Detroit cleared room on the roster by placing veteran cornerback Drew Coleman on injured reserve. Coleman was signed after Aaron Berry was sent packing, but he suffered a head injury in practice that will cost him his chance to win a place in the Lions secondary.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... man-on-ir/

Joe Fauria, MVP!

August 17th, 2012, 12:05 pm
League MVP

I dont understand this move, can someone explain it to me? we picked up a guy who probably wont play this year, and who's contract is up for renewal next year...and he's been injured twice in two years???

Now i want to trust in Mayhew here, but i cant make sense of this one...

August 17th, 2012, 12:22 pm
Team MVP

allenslions wrote:
as soon as nagy gets healthy dom,s days our numbered.nagy is a very talented olineman who played great until his ankle was broken last season. he is a massive upgrade over dom.

Very interesting. Hope he heals up soon. How old is Nagy anyway?

April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.

Lionbacker2 Fantasy Champion 2011

August 17th, 2012, 12:22 pm
Modmin Dude

regularjoe12 wrote:
I dont understand this move, can someone explain it to me? we picked up a guy who probably wont play this year, and who's contract is up for renewal next year...and he's been injured twice in two years???

Nagy is in his 2nd year, was drafted 7th round last year (from Wisconsin - OLine-central), so should have at least 1 more year (after this) left on contract (expire after 2013). Raiola & Peterman will be FA after THIS year. IMO they like the guy and could see him as potential replacement to either....Mayhew being Mayhew :wink:

Joe Fauria, MVP!

August 17th, 2012, 12:29 pm
League MVP

TheRealWags wrote:
regularjoe12 wrote:

Nagy is in his 2nd year, was drafted 7th round last year (from Wisconsin - OLine-central), so should have at least 1 more year (after this) left on contract (expire after 2013). Raiola & Peterman will be FA after THIS year. IMO they like the guy and could see him as potential replacement to either....Mayhew being Mayhew :wink:

Ok so he'll be under contract one more year? thats the part I didnt understand. thank you. That makes a TON more sense now.

August 17th, 2012, 1:06 pm
Pablo wrote:
allenslions wrote:

The Cowboys are horrible at the center spot, I find it hard to believe that they would let go a guy who would be a massive upgrade over dom when dom would be a massive upgrade in Dallas over Costa or whoever they are going to throw out there.

Add Costa is injured right now (back) and the other center in the mix Kowalski is in a cast with an ankle injury.

Hope I'm wrong and I thought Nagy showed some promise for the boys last year.

I agree... I hope our ideas for replacing Raiola or even Peterman, are deeper than relying on a 7th round pick that hasn't played a full season of football. That's ridiculous.

August 17th, 2012, 1:30 pm
Water Boy

Cowboys were trying to sneak him through waivers like Giants did with Ballard before Pats grabbed him. Same thing, Mayhew made a smart move here. He was expected to compete with Costa for starting spot before getting hurt, minimal cost to keep him around and give him a shot. Have a friend from Dallas that said Nagy looks very good last year.

August 17th, 2012, 3:50 pm
Player of the Year - Defense

He started 4 games before he broke his ankle. He's only 24. Can play both center and guard, so it was a smart move by Mayhew. And round drafted when a player has started doesn't prove anything. Willie Young was a 7th rounder, yet people were calling for him to start and trade Avril. Travis Lewis is primary backup at MLB and ran 1st team when Tulloch sat. Some players transition better than scouts anticipate.

I'd rather the front office TRY to find future replacements before they're needed than wait until they are needed immediately.

August 17th, 2012, 3:59 pm
Varsity 1st Team

watching his game film the kid played great before the injury last season.and it was clear he was out playing costa before getting hurt again.dallas was hoping the injury would get him past waivers.and as for an upgrade he is a much more powerful runblocker then dom.now is he gonna be able to make the line calls like dom ?no not at first but he is fully capable of doing the job very well.and as for getting hurt his first 2 seasons.well fox is killing it now and stafford turned out ok.lol

August 17th, 2012, 4:23 pm
Player of the Year - Defense

I'm not worried about him making calls for Dom, i'd much rather see if he can surplant Peterman.

August 17th, 2012, 5:06 pm
League MVP

Peterman and Raiola are under contract through the 2013-14 season ie they will not be FA until Marcy 2014. Nagy signed a 3 yr contract so if he can get healthy his contract would expire also in 2013-2014 at which time he becomes a restricted FA. In other words, if he shows anything the Lions can hold onto him on the cheap until 2015. I think its a smart move by Mayhew but to keep Nagy he has to keep him on the roster through some of the cuts and then IR him later. Dallas didnt want to lose him but bc he is a young player they had to offer him on waivers before they could IR him.

August 18th, 2012, 6:28 pm
League MVP

I attended training camp today and just thought I would share a little bit

- Logan was walking around with his ankle taped and didnt participate in drills. He didnt appear to be in any pain or have any sort of limp. I would say its unlikely he had a severe injury. Edwards filled in for the vast majority of fielding punts but dropped 2 balls and was openly yelled - "thats two on the turf - cant play you in a game"

- Edwards however looked very good in team and made two diving catches. He seemed to be ahead of the other DBs. Besides Edwards of the guys fighting for spots, Nate Hughes looked the best in receiving drills and in team. He looked better than Stovall but we know it comes down to special teams.

- Broyles participated quite a bit and looked good. I would have a hardtime cutting Edwards if I were the Lions but Broyles and Edwards are pretty similar players.

- Titus Young was in shorts but did not participate, he didnt appear injured.
- KVB was working with maybe the strength coach for the entirety of practice.

- Reiff took reps at the left tackle and left GUARD spots during team drills. He didnt play guard with the full team but I hadnt heard anything of him being put in there before. Maybe they are looking to keep 3 backup tackles and need to crosstrain someone because they have less promising young players on the interior.

- Joique Bell looked very good but was taking reps with Moore and Archer, ie with the 3rd string. Even Stephfon Green seemed to be taking more reps with Hill. Green looked to have pretty special acceleration.

- Mikel LeShoure participated in full. He did take reps with 1st and 2nd team during drills and was moving well. Standing next to the other backs, he looked the part more than anyone else. Of note he didnt seem to be hanging around the lead backs very much but did seem to have a good friendship with Green. The coaches seem to be keeping a close eye on him and were coaching him up moreso than other players. At one point LeShoure was on the sideline while the Punt team was getting some work. LeShoure wasnt really paying attnetion and got too close to the sideline where Graham and Donahue were working on directional punts and coaches shouted to him immediately from across the field. Le Shoure had somewhat of a childish response to it by getting visibly upset and swearing as well as motioning at the coaches as if to say "i was fine where i was." Still, he did enough good to think that its a possibility he makes an impact this season.

- T Lewis was dressed but didnt participate in much.
- C Messina got in very limited reps in team but did break up a pass and was praised.
- Donahue seemed to be getting more of the team reps for the punt team and was also the first one to take those reps. He did a better job on the directional kicks than Graham.

- Hanson threw the ball a couple of times when Dimke was working on kicks and can easily make 40-45 yard throws on the line. Its possible he has more arm strength than Moore. Im not kidding.

- Jonte Green had a nice pass breakup on 4th and goal from the 1 during the 2 minute drill.

- Calvin Johnson matched up on any cornerback the Lions have just looks silly. He has a 7-8 inch height advantage much of the time with a bigger frame, more speed and longer arms and vertical

- Raiola and Backus were out of the facility before most of the fans. I didnt sit around and wait for autographs but Backus and Raiola looked to be the first players to leave the facillity.

- Moore didnt have a bad day but you can really appreciate the weakness of his arm seeing it this close. Archer is much better built and taller than Moore with a smooth throwing motion. He has a much quicker release and a much stronger arm. He didnt have many reps but maybe his accuracy is holding him back? If the Lions are serious about developing a 3rd Qb on the PS, IMO Archer seems to have a lot more to work with than Moore.

August 19th, 2012, 11:33 pm
RIP Killer

The Legend wrote:
- Broyles participated quite a bit and looked good. I would have a hardtime cutting Edwards if I were the Lions but Broyles and Edwards are pretty similar players.

This is good news. I liked what I saw on Friday from Broyles, even as minimal as it was. He knows how to get open. I'm also happy that he was able to practice after playing in the game, and didn't experience any soreness or swelling in the knee.

The Legend wrote:
- Reiff took reps at the left tackle and left GUARD spots during team drills. He didnt play guard with the full team but I hadnt heard anything of him being put in there before. Maybe they are looking to keep 3 backup tackles and need to crosstrain someone because they have less promising young players on the interior.

All indications are that the coaches are cross training all the linemen, Reiff included.

The Legend wrote:
- Mikel LeShoure participated in full. He did take reps with 1st and 2nd team during drills and was moving well. Standing next to the other backs, he looked the part more than anyone else. Of note he didnt seem to be hanging around the lead backs very much but did seem to have a good friendship with Green. The coaches seem to be keeping a close eye on him and were coaching him up moreso than other players. At one point LeShoure was on the sideline while the Punt team was getting some work. LeShoure wasnt really paying attnetion and got too close to the sideline where Graham and Donahue were working on directional punts and coaches shouted to him immediately from across the field. Le Shoure had somewhat of a childish response to it by getting visibly upset and swearing as well as motioning at the coaches as if to say "i was fine where i was." Still, he did enough good to think that its a possibility he makes an impact this season.

The bolded part concerns me. It is an indication that LeShoure just doesn't get it. If the coaches tell you to move, then move and STFU about it. They should have verbally castrated his @ss right there in front of the players, fans and God. I know I would have. He's suspended for two games because of his stupidity and immaturity, and he acts like THAT?! I'd have had him running wind sprints until his suspension was over.

Sounds like the kid is an A-1 @sshat to me.

August 20th, 2012, 9:05 am
Position Coach

Quote:
- Hanson threw the ball a couple of times when Dimke was working on kicks and can easily make 40-45 yard throws on the line. Its possible he has more arm strength than Moore. Im not kidding.

haha

August 20th, 2012, 11:49 am
Reply to topic   [ 145 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next