View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently July 30th, 2014, 11:15 am

Reply to topic  [ 145 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
 Training Camp 2012 
League MVP

Post Re: Training Camp 2012
Quote:
The bolded part concerns me. It is an indication that LeShoure just doesn't get it. If the coaches tell you to move, then move and STFU about it. They should have verbally castrated his @ss right there in front of the players, fans and God. I know I would have. He's suspended for two games because of his stupidity and immaturity, and he acts like THAT?! I'd have had him running wind sprints until his suspension was over.

Sounds like the kid is an A-1 @sshat to me.

i dont know if i would call him that just yet but to me it did seem like he either didnt really get it yet or was overly confident. he seemed to have befriended green but green was giving an all out effort and was attentive at all times. however leshoure did physically look and move very well when he was playing, i was encouraged by his play, concerned some by his attitude. not sure the light bulb has really gone on as far as what he has at stake

August 20th, 2012, 12:00 pm
QB Coach

Not trying to rush to judgment, especially since I don't know the kid, but it sounds as if we have a primadonna in training. Meaning, he has the skills and talents, but not the heart. SG sounds like he's got heart and desire and is trying to show it, meanwhile ML is relying on his God given talents to carry him through without the heart. I can't help but think of TO, or Ocho when I read this, because both of these guys have talent, but they were/are too proud to keep in a locker room. Jut my pennies tossed into the pot.

2 Chronicles 10:14, "if my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land."

August 20th, 2012, 12:15 pm
Modmin Dude

PFT wrote:
Louis Delmas seems no closer to a return
Posted by Darin Gantt on August 20, 2012, 2:34 PM EDT

When Lions safety Louis Delmas needed knee surgery, it immediately cast doubt on his availability for the preseason.

But with the clock ticking toward the regular season, there doesn’t seem to be a load of optimism coming from the Lions.

“We’re closing in on that [getting Delmas ready for the regular season] for sure,” Schwartz said, via Anwar Richardson of MLive.com. “He’s not to the point that he’s even on a progression right now. He’s week-to-week. He’s not day-to-day.

“A lot of those other guys are day-to-day as they come out. He’s week-to-week.”

John Wendling has been working with the starters in his absence, and seems likely to continue to.

Any time a coach is willing to budge from the cliched “day-to-day” answer, it’s seldom a good sign.

And with less than three weeks to go before the opener, they’re running out of weeks in week-to-week.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... -a-return/
Is it time to start talking trades??? ](*,)

EDIT: Here's more on Delmas:
MLive wrote:
Detroit Lions safety Louis Delmas likely to miss rest of preseason
Published: Monday, August 20, 2012, 1:34 PM
Updated: Monday, August 20, 2012, 1:34 PM
By Anwar S. Richardson | arichar2@mlive.com

ALLEN PARK -- Detroit Lions coach Jim Schwartz remains hopeful that safety Louis Delmas will be ready for the team's season opener against the St. Louis Rams.

Schwartz is less optimistic about Delmas' chances of playing this preseason.

Delmas had surgery performed on his left knee by Dr. James Andrews, one of the world's top sports surgeons, two weeks ago. The purpose was to assist in Delmas' recovery from knee soreness that developed early in training camp.

Schwartz originally said Delmas' status was week-to-week, but is not optimistic about his safety's chances of playing at Oakland on Saturday, or next week against Buffalo.

"We're closing in on that (getting Delmas ready for the regular season) for sure," Schwartz said. "He's not to the point that he's even on a progression right now. He's week-to-week. He's not day-to-day.

"A lot of those other guys are day-to-day as they come out. He's week-to-week."

Last season, Delmas missed five games after reportedly having surgery on his right knee. He played in Detroit's playoff game against New Orleans, but was not at 100 percent.

Delmas, a second-round pick by Detroit in 2009, has 163 tackles, three sacks and two interceptions in his career. He has missed seven games over the past three years.

Lions safety John Wendling has started during Delmas' absence.

"We did that (surgery) early in camp," Schwartz said. "The idea was let's try to do it as quick as we can so that it gives us enough time before the opener. That's what it's looking like."

http://www.mlive.com/lions/index.ssf/20 ... del_5.html
Bob Sanders part deux?

August 20th, 2012, 2:46 pm
Butkus Award Winner

WarEr4Christ wrote:
Not trying to rush to judgment, especially since I don't know the kid, but it sounds as if we have a primadonna in training. Meaning, he has the skills and talents, but not the heart. SG sounds like he's got heart and desire and is trying to show it, meanwhile ML is relying on his God given talents to carry him through without the heart. I can't help but think of TO, or Ocho when I read this, because both of these guys have talent, but they were/are too proud to keep in a locker room. Jut my pennies tossed into the pot.

Agreed. This honestly frustrates me so much I can't even put it into words. Mayhew makes a GREAT pick taking Leshoure, who has the talent to start the second he's able to play a regular season game, but it's completely unseen by the media because he's just making it harder than it needs to be by getting arrested twice and having this incident. Same with Nick Fairley. Both were great picks and will be key players to the team if they can just get on the field.

August 20th, 2012, 2:57 pm
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

I really want Green to make the squad so he can maybe give us some some of what Jahvid Best can. He wont make the team though

August 20th, 2012, 3:20 pm
RIP Killer

Killwill25 wrote:
I really want Green to make the squad so he can maybe give us some some of what Jahvid Best can. He wont make the team though

Never say never. If Best isn't cleared to play by the time the team has to make cut downs on the roster, I could see them putting him on the IR. If that happens, we have LeShoure, Smith, Williams and ????.
Would it be Bell or Green? Logan may not be in the mix any longer with his injury.

August 20th, 2012, 4:10 pm
ST Coordinator – Danny Crossman

between bell and green I vote Bell

August 20th, 2012, 5:45 pm
National Champion

m2karateman wrote:
Killwill25 wrote:

Never say never. If Best isn't cleared to play by the time the team has to make cut downs on the roster, I could see them putting him on the IR. If that happens, we have LeShoure, Smith, Williams and ????.
Would it be Bell or Green? Logan may not be in the mix any longer with his injury.

Also, if they don't keep a fullback and only have 5 wideouts, they could keep 5 running backs (with Logan being one). It's a possiblity that one of those two makes it.

August 20th, 2012, 6:52 pm
Butkus Award Winner

Hystrix wrote:
m2karateman wrote:
Killwill25 wrote:

Also, if they don't keep a fullback and only have 5 wideouts, they could keep 5 running backs (with Logan being one). It's a possiblity that one of those two makes it.

Didn't Keiland Williams play fullback? I say we keep Best, Smith, Leshoure, KW (since he can play RB or FB), and Green/Joique/Logan

August 20th, 2012, 7:29 pm
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

Out of Green/Joique/Logan.. that's a tough call... I'd put Green 1 and Joique 1a. Joique gets a knock from me b/c of that fumble at the goal line. Other than that.. he has looked serviceable.

NEVER GIVE UP!

August 21st, 2012, 8:04 am
Team MVP

When are roster cuts? Gotta be coming soon arent they?

April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.

Lionbacker2 Fantasy Champion 2011

August 21st, 2012, 8:30 am
League MVP

kdsberman wrote:
When are roster cuts? Gotta be coming soon arent they?

Aug. 28: Roster cutdown to 80 players

Aug. 31: Roster cutdown to 53 players.

August 21st, 2012, 9:29 am
RIP Killer

Quote:
Lions claim DT Bobby Skinner from Giants

The Detroit Lions claimed defensive tackle Bobby Skinner off waivers from the New York Giants to fill one of their vacant roster spots, according to reports.

Skinner, an undrafted rookie from Montclair State, adds depth to a position hit hard by injury midway through the preseason. Sammie Hill has been out two weeks with back spasms, Corey Williams missed practice Sunday and Monday, and Andre Fluellen sat out Sunday and pulled out practice Monday with an undisclosed injury.

Ndamukong Suh, Nick Fairley and undrafted rookie Tracy Robertson are the only other healthy defensive tackles on the roster, though undrafted rookie end Edmon McClam also has played the position in practice.

The Lions had two open roster spots after waiving injured tight end Nathan Overbay and safety Don Carey on Monday.

August 21st, 2012, 10:05 am
Profile WWW
Modmin Dude

Freep wrote:
Ryan Donahue leads Lions' punter race by a foot ... or does he?
August 21, 2012
By Dave Birkett

Ryan Donahue missed half of his rookie season with a strained right quadriceps muscle that turned out to be torn, but the second-year Lions punter found enough learning moments in a limited sample size to say he came back "tons better" this year.

"I really think I've made some strides," Donahue said Monday. "I think it was in January, I took a step back, and after a few weeks off you're like, 'All right, let's go back and see with fresh eyes, kind of see (what I did).' Some of the things technique-wise I was doing I was like, 'I can definitely do better.' And I definitely have."

Donahue, a right-footed punter, is averaging 42 yards per punt with a 41-yard net average after two exhibitions and is in one of the few position battles for a starting job.

Ben Graham, a left-footed kicker who punted the final seven games last season after Donahue got hurt, is averaging 41.3 yards this exhibition season with a 28.1-yard net, but he has landed three of his seven punts inside the 20.

Donahue has kicked in the first half of both games, Graham in the second. The Lions plan to flip their roles for the final two games Saturday at Oakland and Aug. 30 against the Bills.

Coach Jim Schwartz said both players "have kicked like they're NFL punters" so far this exhibition season but offered little more insight into the race.

"We're still two preseason games (to go)," Schwartz said. "Both of them are talented enough to play in the NFL. We're looking for consistency, and we've still got a long way to go."

Donahue has shown a rocket-launcher of a leg at times, like when he sailed a 54-yarder that left-turned out of bounds at the 2 in Friday's win over the Ravens.

But he struggled with his consistency last year and has made that a point of emphasis this summer.

"Who can they trust on the field, that's basically what it's going to come down to," Donahue said. "And we've both got to perform and put ourselves out there for them to make the right decision."

Donahue won a training-camp battle with Nick Harris for the starting job last year, then suffered a quad injury while filling in for Jason Hanson kicking field goals during a November practice.

Initially diagnosed with a strained muscle, Donahue was placed on injured reserve a few weeks later when he still wasn't able to kick; tests showed a tear.

The Lions signed Robert Malone as a fill-in for Donahue, then turned to Graham's accurate leg after Devin Hester returned a punt for a touchdown in Malone's only game.

Graham, a former Australian Rules Football player who's 14 years Donahue's senior, brings a distinct end-over-end style to the competition.

"We're two different punters at two different stages of their careers," Graham said. "It'll depend on what the coaches want and what they're after."

Though both players know they're competing for one roster spot, the battle has been a cordial, even helpful one. There's no coughing in each other's backswing as a means of distraction, and Donahue said he has studied Graham closely to pick up pointers for when he rugby-kicks on pooch punts this year.

"He's been doing it since he was a 12-year-old kid in Australia, so there's no better person to learn from," Donahue said.

As for how they've kicked so far, both players were diplomatic Monday.

"You have to evaluate what's there," Graham said. "I've had the opportunity to punt in the second half, see what happens this week. My strength is my plus-50 punting and pinning teams deep, and I've been successful at that, so we'll have to see what happens."

Said Donahue, "Shoot, I don't know (who's leading). I wish I could tell you I've hit every punt great, but I haven't, and neither has he. It's kind of a tough question to answer, but it's just trying to be more consistent."

Contact Dave Birkett: 313-222-2037 or dbirkett@freepress.com. Follow him on Twitter @davebirkett.

Free Press expert Kevin Bull will answer your questions about fantasy football in a live chat at 1 p.m. Tuesday. Submit early questions here. Then come back Saturday night, as Carlos Monarrez live-blogs the Lions-Raiders exhibition.

http://www.freep.com/article/20120821/S ... it%20Lions

August 22nd, 2012, 12:35 pm
Modmin Dude

Freep wrote:
Lions practice report: Defensive line getting healthier
August 21, 2012
By Dave Birkett

The Detroit Lions are starting to get healthy, just in time for their third exhibition on Saturday.

Defensive tackles Sammie Hill and Corey Williams returned to practice for the first time this week, and defensive end Kyle Vanden Bosch had his most extensive workout since early in training camp.

Hill had been dealing with serious back spasms, Williams has a lingering calf issue, and Vanden Bosch is returning from a knee injury. Vanden Bosch only took part in position drills on Monday.

Receiver Titus Young also was back at practice, after an excused absence Monday and Tuesday's day off. Running back Mikel Leshoure practiced fully and is expected to play Saturday against the Oakland Raiders.

Return man Stefan Logan (ankle) and linebacker Travis Lewis (quad) remain out with injuries suffered against the Baltimore Ravens last week and are doubtful for Saturday.

Contact Dave Birkett: 313-222-2037 or dbirkett@freepress.com. Follow him on Twitter @davebirkett.

Join Free Press sports writer Carlos Monarrez for a live blog of the Lions-Raiders exhibition Saturday night at freep.com/sports

http://www.freep.com/article/20120822/S ... it%20Lions

August 22nd, 2012, 12:41 pm
Reply to topic   [ 145 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next